The Brontë Family discussion

Juvenilia: 1829-1835
This topic is about Juvenilia
By the Brontës > Their Juvenilia

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marie | 60 comments Mod
It is sad that only Charlotte's juvenilia seems to have survived intact. We have bits of Gondal poems and the miniture magazines by the young Brontës, but I cannot help wishing that more juvenilia existed, especially that by Emily and Anne.

Marie | 60 comments Mod
I own the juvenilia books below. There are not as developed as say Jane Eyre, but it is a wonderful glimpse into the developing mind of Charlotte Brontë. Has anyone read any Brontë juvenilia?

The Green Dwarf  A Tale of the Perfect Tense (Hesperus Classics) by Charlotte Brontë The Spell  An Extravaganza (Hesperus Classics Series) by Charlotte Brontë Tales of Angria (Penguin Classics) by Charlotte Brontë The Foundling by Charlotte Brontë

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Marie wrote: "I own the juvenilia books below. There are not as developed as say Jane Eyre, but it is a wonderful glimpse into the developing mind of Charlotte Brontë. Has anyone read any Brontë juvenilia?

[boo..."

I'm curious about it. I haven't read any of their juvenilia but I'm interested and might get a copy of "Tales of Angria" in near future. Maybe for a group reading? I don't know much about it, is supposed to be fantasy or are the stories on same style as their mature novels?

Marie | 60 comments Mod
Definitely fantasy. The tales center around their fantasy world of Angria. There are genies and the supernatural. Not much like their adult novels, but you get hints at what they will write of in the future.

Karli the Little The Spell is one of my favorite Brontë writings ever. It was fantastic.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tales of Angria (other topics)
The Spell (other topics)
The Foundling (other topics)
The Green Dwarf: A Tale of the Perfect Tense (other topics)