Chicks On Lit discussion

Girl Talk > New Years Resolutions?

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments Do you have any resolutions for 2012?

I tend to make my resolutions in the fall (I have no idea why), but I think for 2012 I will try harder to let people know how much I appreciate them and I'll try to be more vocal when I get good service from someone. Basically, I want to be more intentional about my gratitude.

message 2: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (Steffi_the_Bookworm) as usual...doing my sports and lose weight lol

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments Stefanie wrote: "as usual...doing my sports and lose weight lol"

I love people who start diets on New Years because it makes the grocery stores put my "diet" treats on sale. I love Special K cracker chips and they're usually $3.99 a box. They were on sale this week for $1.68. So I stocked up. Woohoo! :)

message 4: by Natasha (last edited Dec 30, 2011 07:57AM) (new)

Natasha McNeely (NatashaMcNeely) | 7 comments I have a few resolutions for 2012 and am hoping to actually work on them this time:

- Lose weight
- Read more (I read very little this year; my new Kindle should help)
- Write more, namely two novels per year, and start editing

message 5: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (Steffi_the_Bookworm) haha yeah everyone is starting it at new years :) I have been a good girl and went to the gym on wed. so back on mondays plus aqua fitness with my co-workers should do it :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm hoping to get myself back into half marathon shape, with the fitness and weight loss attendant to that goal. I'm a walker, not a runner. I have other goals and objectives, but that's the most important one.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4210 comments Mine is always to lose wight and I have lost 12lbs this year but I want to lose more. My goal is to lose enough weight where my mom won't constantly bring up my weight.

message 8: by Cassie (last edited Dec 30, 2011 01:31PM) (new)

Cassie | 487 comments 1) In years past, I didn't care, but since finishing grad school and moving home, I've gained 50-60 pounds and that is just not acceptable. So, work on that.

2) Find a real job, fingers crossed it's in my field.

3) Take the changes that come this year without terror and sadness.

4) And do more writing. I'm sure it's far more constructive for my brain than zoning out to the TV.

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 251 comments i have always a million resolutions. this year is no different.
to cull the list a bit, the top three are:

1) learn how to relax
been trying for years. can't quite get it. so this year i think i will try yoga. or meditation. or drinking, if none of that works. ;*)

2) show more love to my family and friends.
i love up my kids pretty well, but my husband and close friends could probably use some more TLC.

3) find ways to contribute more to my community.
i would rather DO things than pay for things, and include my kids when possible. but when time is limited, paying always seems the easy way out. will try to make this year different.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris Bigalk (krisbigalk) | 6 comments Like many of you, I'm going to focus on losing some weight - 10 or 15 pounds. I abandoned weight watchers online last fall, and have gotten back into it. Stefanie, I had no idea that diet food goes on sale in January, so I will be looking for that! Thanks for the tip. Also, my family and I are going to have a "YMCA Night" each week, where the grownups work out and the kids swim or hang out in the kids' gym.

message 11: by Collin (new)

Collin | 197 comments My goal is to make meal planning and cooking a priority.

message 12: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 2 comments Read more, write more, bake more, and end friendships that are toxic. I think the last will be most difficult, but probably most important.

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1300 comments continue to work on getting completely out of credit card debt....

Elizabeth (Alaska) Christine wrote: "continue to work on getting completely out of credit card debt...."

Excellent!

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments Christine wrote: "continue to work on getting completely out of credit card debt...."

That is the best thing you will ever do. (In my opinion, anyway.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Mary wrote: "Christine wrote: "continue to work on getting completely out of credit card debt...."

That is the best thing you will ever do. (In my opinion, anyway.)"

I quite agree. We went without things in order to accomplish that goal and have been debt free for many years now. Not that we don't use our credit card - quite the contrary - but we pay it in full each and every month and never incur one penny of interest. I don't even know what the interest rate is on that card.

message 17: by Mary (last edited Jan 04, 2012 11:50AM) (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments I tried that, but am a terrible impulse shopper. lol. So I cancelled all my credit cards - it will be 10 years ago this March. Yes, that's correct, I've been almost 10 years without a cc and 9 years without cc debt.

message 18: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jan 04, 2012 11:53AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have a gazillion airline miles - I charge everything, every purchase from groceries to insurance premiums.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1300 comments We are in CC debt.. sad to admit but it's true. Whenever work was slow, (my husband is in construction) we charged college tuition, books, car repairs, groceries etc. I know you do what you have to but it's just frustrating sometimes.
My goal date is March 2013, realistically but I'm contemplating a 2nd summer job to make it sooner.
I'm like Mary, mine are cut up and gone. My husband is better at saying no than I am :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) When I was young, they didn't give credit cards to women. We didn't get credit except as a wife, and as a single mom, well, I just had to pay cash for everything. It was pretty simple to say "I can't afford that." That was a mindset developed early, kept long.

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments Christine wrote: "We are in CC debt.. sad to admit but it's true. Whenever work was slow, (my husband is in construction) we charged college tuition, books, car repairs, groceries etc. I know you do what you have to..."

I understand. My husband and I are both in construction. Well, he no longer is. Times are hard. We made it through just because we had paid all our debt (except the house). It wasn't any brilliant planning on our part, we just totally lucked out that we decided to do it when we did. We got the truck paid off just a couple months before all he!! broke loose.

message 22: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 364 comments Mary wrote: "Do you have any resolutions for 2012?"

This year I haven't actually settled on some resolutions. Aside from the obvious of finding a job (now that I'm completely done with school for now) and taking better care of myself (which I sadly lagged during my thesis-writing period), one of my resolutions this year is to write everyday, get that creativity flowing again xD

unread topics | mark unread