Making Connections discussion

AUTHOR'S HELP SECTION > Self-Published and Indie Authors and More

Comments (showing 1-50 of 134) (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tana (last edited Jan 15, 2012 08:56AM) (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 9270 comments Mod
This is a place for authors to ask other authors questions or post groups/links for authors

message 2: by Tana (last edited Jan 15, 2012 08:57AM) (new)

Self-Published and Indie Authors, Promote yourself here!

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6...

The Group is a place where ANY and ALL Self-Published and Indie Authors can come to Promote their books. It is also a place where you can make friends with Author and Writers just like yourself.

message 3: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Great idea, Tana! I'm newly self-published in both e-book and print. If anyone has questions, ask away :-)

message 4: by Tana (new)

great Kristine thanks for offering your services.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Edstrom (Eric_Edstrom) Me too, but I ave few answers at this stage.

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wilson (StorytellerTDW) | 12 comments Sounds great,

My only question of the top of my head is ideas for Free to extremely cheap editing services until Indie Authors can raise or save enough to purchase professional services.
This also would apply to Cover Art and Book Trailers!
Any Ideas, what are others doing?
As a side line while holding down a full time job with a family and children I don't have three to five thousand to drop into a book up front to do it professionally!

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric Edstrom (Eric_Edstrom) You might try fiver.com for a super cheap cover design. You can search for people who do design, pay $5 and they'll design something for you. Can't speak to the quality, but some of the samples look decent. For editing you're going to have to find some generous—and hopefully competent—family member, friend or friend of a friend.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Johnston (MeganSJohnston1) | 17 comments Hello, my name is Megan S. Johnston and I am self-publishing my debut novel 'Transition' a YA Paranormal Romance. It should hit the shelves & in e-book form the end of May, beginning of June. It has taken over 2 years from start to finish, and has been a long journey. If you have any questions about self-publishing, I am more than happy to share. Eric is right about getting friends & family to read your work, it helps. You can also get programs like, grammarly.com. It helps with the editing process. There are other programs, not to expensive, that you can down-load too. I hope this helps...

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Thomas, I guess it all depends on your budget. I have the good fortune of having a friend who is an editor, but I know that there are some good line/copy editors who will do a book for $300-$500 (look for The Edit Dude). A developmental editor costs a lot more (thousands of $$$), and you would only hire someone like that if you want a 2-3 month back and forth in-depth review of your book. If you have a critique partner or a writing group that's probably good enough for now.

As for covers, there are a lot of designers out there. I got mine done very inexpensively as part of a promotion (Scarlett Rugers Design). This is something cover artists do frequently, just keep your eyes open for announcements.

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wilson (StorytellerTDW) | 12 comments Thank You for the Great Advice Everybody!!

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 603 comments I'll get your minds to boil over this one..What do you do when you have to buy copies of your book for a signing but your publishing company charges 50 bucks for 5 and youll actually spend more money on your own books then selling them at the signing?...yeah this is currently me at the moment!

message 12: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Justin - this is indeed an unfortunate situation. I'm self-published so I've not encountered this. Is there any way for you to get out of the signing?

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wilson (StorytellerTDW) | 12 comments Dude That is wrong on so many levels!!

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 603 comments Well I can easily cancel the signing but its really the first big break ive had to promote since the book came out last year, I would hate to cancel but i honestly dont see any way around this..I dont wanna spend the money..the signing wud be kinda pointless

message 15: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Wells (goodreadscomMGWells) | 54 comments Kristine wrote: "Justin - this is indeed an unfortunate situation. I'm self-published so I've not encountered this. Is there any way for you to get out of the signing?"

So am I and I like the control I have over my work even though it's exhausting and frustrating sometimes. Justin, it's sad but the pub houses only care about $$$. I wish you well.

message 16: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Wells (goodreadscomMGWells) | 54 comments Wishing all an abundance of health, success and prosperity.

message 17: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Justin, if you do decide to go ahead with the signing, try to find a way to make it a little more worthwhile in terms of marketing. Perhaps have a mailing list sign-up or something like that so your access to these people isn't one-time only.

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 603 comments Kristine wrote: "Justin, if you do decide to go ahead with the signing, try to find a way to make it a little more worthwhile in terms of marketing. Perhaps have a mailing list sign-up or something like that so you..."

What do you mean by a mailing list sign up exactly?

message 19: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Like collect people's email addresses so you can let them know about any other events or sales you're having with your book. Or if you have another book in the works, you can announce your release through the mailing list (mailchimp.com has a free version). You can also hand out cards with your Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads links - things like that.

message 20: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Wells (goodreadscomMGWells) | 54 comments Kristine wrote: "Like collect people's email addresses so you can let them know about any other events or sales you're having with your book. Or if you have another book in the works, you can announce your release ..."

Just send me a MESSAGE via GoodReads with all your info and I will respond. It keeps it easier when it's all in one place. Thanks, Kristine. Wishing you well :0)

message 21: by LK (last edited Jan 20, 2012 06:01AM) (new)

LK Hunsaker (LKHunsaker) | 12 comments Thomas, I'm an indie author (since 2003) with an art minor and design experience. I'm now offering cheap cover designs on my site.
Designs

There are only a few there at the moment as I've just started, but you can contact me for other ideas of what you need. Cost depends on how complicated.

message 22: by LK (new)

LK Hunsaker (LKHunsaker) | 12 comments Justin, if your books cost more than you can sell them for, you have the wrong "publisher" or more likely, the wrong vanity printer. You might try someone else. Did you pay a big setup fee? Did you do the cover design or did the company?

message 23: by LK (last edited Jan 20, 2012 06:11AM) (new)

LK Hunsaker (LKHunsaker) | 12 comments Ah, I just went to your page to check your publisher. Hate to say it, but you found the vanity publisher with the worst name in the business. As soon as you can get out of it, do that. It would be better to go through Lulu and do it yourself than to stay with them.

Not trying to be critical: I've been studying self-pub (and that company IS self-pub, whatever they call themselves) for a lot of years and I run an indie pub group where I used to post about different companies and options. Be careful of "free" publishing because they make their profit by charging authors way too much for their books.

message 24: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wilson (StorytellerTDW) | 12 comments Thank You LK

I will check out your designs and suggest to to my many Self-published Friends I am aquiring.

If you would consider doing a guest post on my blog describing your artistic endeavors and providing links maybe even some sample work send me an E-mail at StorytellerTDW@yahoo.com. We can try and get the word out!!

Thanks Again Thomas

message 25: by LK (new)

LK Hunsaker (LKHunsaker) | 12 comments Thank you, Thomas. I'll email. :-)

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria Nazos (marianazos) | 14 comments Kristine wrote: "Like collect people's email addresses so you can let them know about any other events or sales you're having with your book. Or if you have another book in the works, you can announce your release ..."

Kristine, I know this is a little divergent from the topic, but can you please provide me with an example of putting a book on sale? I am not self-published, I am indie, but I am wondering if/how I could put my book on sale, if at all?

message 27: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Fasheun (GemmaFash) | 39 comments Hi,
I'm Gemma and I wish someone could tell me how can I publish my poems without spending a fortune? I found couples of publishing houses but their prices are too high and I can't understand why.

message 28: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Maria wrote: "Kristine wrote: "Like collect people's email addresses so you can let them know about any other events or sales you're having with your book. Or if you have another book in the works, you can annou..."

Hi Maria, I will send you a message about this. Too long for the post :-)

message 29: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Gemma wrote: "Hi,
I'm Gemma and I wish someone could tell me how can I publish my poems without spending a fortune? I found couples of publishing houses but their prices are too high and I can't understand why."

Why not self-publish? Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords will let you do it for free.

message 30: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Fasheun (GemmaFash) | 39 comments I didn't know Amazon will publish my poems for free! I was thinking they will publish only books that would sell alot asap.
I'll try Amazon. Will they make the cover of the book for free too or I should try to find someone to do it for me?

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 603 comments LK wrote: "Ah, I just went to your page to check your publisher. Hate to say it, but you found the vanity publisher with the worst name in the business. As soon as you can get out of it, do that. It would be ..."

I know my publishing company sucks..but If I drop them what happens to my book? They still will have rights to my book wont they? And even if they give them over to me theyll prolly charge me. I'll have no way of accessing my books..so ive thought about it but im not sure what to do there..

message 32: by Maria (new)

Maria Nazos (marianazos) | 14 comments Gemma wrote: "Hi,
I'm Gemma and I wish someone could tell me how can I publish my poems without spending a fortune? I found couples of publishing houses but their prices are too high and I can't understand why."

Gemma, have you considered sending out individual poems to literary journals? Yes, they are super-competitive, except you have the ideal audience; people who subscribe to those journals read poetry. Plus, it looks good on yr. byline.

message 33: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Fasheun (GemmaFash) | 39 comments I just went on Amazon and to publish to their site it's so complicated. It makes me think twice if I would use it. I didn't see how Barnes and Nobles will publish me... I check their website, I couldn't see anything unless I already have my poems published.
Yes Maria I've tried. The answer was either I have to pay a fee or they wouldn't need any of my poems. I have some posted on goodreads.
But why on earth the publishers would charge an author so much money? All that they use is paper, ink, sometimes colored ink, and what they use for the cover. The paper is not so expensive. What makes the books to be expensive to produce?

message 34: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wilson (StorytellerTDW) | 12 comments Gemma,
Goto Smashwords dot com and sign up if you already haven't. Download the Smashwords Style Guide and follow it the rules and descriptions it gives you to format your work. Read through all the other stuff they tell you to, its good information.
This may take a couple of days but if you format your work as your reading through how to do it, by the time you get done you will be ready to download to smashwords!
At that point your published!
Get a decent cover and follow the rules to get accepted into the premium catalog and then your book gets distruted to B&N, Sony, Apple, Kobo, etc.
Take the file you formated for smashwords, take the Smashwords license agreement or Published at Smashwords out of it, Add Page Breaks, and download it to Amazon at their Kindle Direct Publishing site.
Throw a party and get on-line and tell the world about how you published a book!!
Questions or hang ups come back here and ask and plenty of wonderful and helpful people will assist you!! It's a learning and wonderful experience!
When I published my first book on Smashwords January 2011 it was like when my wife had our children!!

message 35: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Fasheun (GemmaFash) | 39 comments Thanks Thomas I already made an account on smashwords.com I read now the Style Guide. I bet you were thrilled after publishig ur book in there.
What you write? I mostly write poems, lately haiku style but I'm trying to write stories too which for me it's kind of difficult. I'm not so good with words so for me writing my first novel it's still a hard task to do.

message 36: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Gemma wrote: "I just went on Amazon and to publish to their site it's so complicated. It makes me think twice if I would use it. I didn't see how Barnes and Nobles will publish me... I check their website, I cou..."

Hello Gemma, for B&N, you need to go to pubit.com. I admit, I had my book formatted by someone, but it was pretty inexpensive and I had no problems uploading it to any of the sites. All of this looks intimidating at first, but take it one step at a time and you'll do fine. If you want to publish a print book, that's also doable via Createspace.com, a subsidiary of Amazon.

message 37: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Fasheun (GemmaFash) | 39 comments Thanks I'll check that website too.

message 38: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Fasheun (GemmaFash) | 39 comments I made an account there too.

message 39: by LK (new)

LK Hunsaker (LKHunsaker) | 12 comments Justin wrote: "LK wrote: "Ah, I just went to your page to check your publisher. Hate to say it, but you found the vanity publisher with the worst name in the business. As soon as you can get out of it, do that. I..."

Justin, what does your contract say? How long do they have whatever rights they have? I've heard it can be a heck of a fight. At this point, since you signed the contract, you might have to wait until it expires and just do your next books elsewhere, then re-pub once you can with your current book. I'm guessing it doesn't allow you to re-publish elsewhere during the contract period.

Google "Preditors and Editors" - . They have a list of who to watch out for and who you can trust. If you're looking for no/low fee publishing, Lulu is your best bet. Amazon will do it with Createspace but then it is only available there and not in other stores so you lose potential readers. Getting it as everywhere as you can is key.

Do they have ebook rights? If not, consider using Smashwords and putting it out as ebook. If you do that, you can have a "signing" with postcards and your book cover (ebook version, not print - vistaprint.com does them cheap) along with a few of your print copies. But don't sell them at a loss! Sell them at least at your cost or a couple of dollars more.

I'm not sure when your signing is set, but I wouldn't cancel if you can help it.

message 40: by Tana (new)

I have a question, sometimes I meet authors who dont' have their books listed on goodreads or they have no authors page. I have two right now and they both need to know how they set up an authors page and then list their books...can a authors page be linked to their personal page.....any help would be appreciated so I can pass the info along.

message 41: by Tana (new)

can their profile page be turned into an authors page?

message 42: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Harmon | 6 comments Hi, folks - I'm trying to create a Goodreads author page and running into a glitch. When I try to add my book to the database, it says I need a 'verified e-mail address' in order to do so. As far as I can tell, I've got a verified e-mail address, I'm logged in, so I don't see what the problem is. I've contacted Goodreads but haven't heard back yet. Is this something simple that I'm missing?

Oh, and a bit of self-promotion - my book is a cozy mystery; I wrote it 15 years ago and then just filed it away. Published it a few weeks ago on Smashwords.

Titled - Died On The Vine -

Cissy Rayburn and her husband Jack own a small winery in rural Virginia. One day, MIA chaser Obie Winslow shows up at the winery and tells Cissy that he believes that her first husband, shot down and killed in Viet Nam, is still alive. Three days later, Cissy finds Winslow dead in the vineyard, stabbed with Jack's pruning shears. Can she find the real murderer before the sheriff arrests Jack?

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

And I've started a blog - most recent post is a picture of my incredibly beautiful dog:

http://joyceharmon.wordpress.com/

message 43: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Tana, to get an author's page, the author has to request it through the Author Program. It takes them a day or two to verify it and approve it. But, the profiles become merged. The author will have a "profile" and an "Author's Dashboard" where there books can be added (and associated to them), a blog, excerpts, etc.

message 44: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 200 comments Joyce, the best way to get help for issues like yours is to join the Goodreads Librarian group and leave your question on an appropriate thread. They took care of my problem in a day.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Fromke (jjfro) Kristine wrote: "Gemma wrote: "I just went on Amazon and to publish to their site it's so complicated. It makes me think twice if I would use it. I didn't see how Barnes and Nobles will publish me... I check their ..."

I published through Smashwords first. They have a free download booklet which teaches you how to format your book step by step. I read the booklet and formatted my story as I went. It turned out very well. Then I took the book as formatted on Smashwords and simply uploaded the formatted file to Amazon and it worked seamlessly. Smashwords is very thorough with their formating requirements, so if you do it well there, then you can transfer that document to other platforms fairly easily. Give it a try!

message 46: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Harmon | 6 comments Kristine wrote: "Joyce, the best way to get help for issues like yours is to join the Goodreads Librarian group and leave your question on an appropriate thread. They took care of my problem in a day."

Librarian group! I missed that one - I'll check it out. Thanks!

message 47: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Fasheun (GemmaFash) | 39 comments Thanks Jennifer, I'll do that.

message 48: by Tana (new)

here is a question I read on my facebook from an author ...

Question for all indie authors: What social media do you find gives your books the biggest bang for your (non) money? After posting where does/do your book/s rise in the ratings? Just curious.

message 49: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne  (SuzanneF74) Interesting question Tana

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 134 comments Justin wrote: "I'll get your minds to boil over this one..What do you do when you have to buy copies of your book for a signing but your publishing company charges 50 bucks for 5 and youll actually spend more mon..."

Who did you publish with?

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

From Love and Pain (other topics)
Blood Heavy (other topics)
The Scene (other topics)
Broken Pottery (other topics)
Moving In: Tales of an Unlicensed Marriage (other topics)
More...