~Young Adult Enthusiasts~ discussion

Recommendations > Fantasy Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

Valencia (vvlovesu) | 2041 comments Mod
What are some good Fantasy books?

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika aslysA | 17 comments Vampire Academy! The first ones weren't as good as the rest of the series but the last one absolutely blew me away :D

Recently, I just finished Graceling and I loved it (which to me means I sat in my room and read the whole thing straight in a few hours)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely recommend Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand. It's an amazing book that totally defies a lot of the YA stereotypes. I absolutely love it and can't wait for the sequal, Hallowed, which is out in just a few weeks.

message 4: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

I love that cover. It's very stunning.

message 5: by Theresa ♫ (new)

Theresa ♫ (tuhreesaaah) | 121 comments HARRY POTTER, of course! :)

message 6: by Irene, Life is short; but death is forever. (new)

Irene | 599 comments Mod
Hunger games (or are they dystopian?)

message 7: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

Irene wrote: "Hunger games (or are they dystopian?)"

I think they are more Dystopian

message 8: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Thomas (nidhithomas) | 144 comments I can't think of a good Fantasy book.. hmmm probs Vampire Academy. The Mortal Instruments is good too :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I also recommend Howl's Moving Castle. It's very quirky read, and there is now a movie based on it (been out for a few years, acutally). There are two other books, but they're not as good.

message 10: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Thomas (nidhithomas) | 144 comments Howl's Moving Castle hmm I only watched the movie and it has an interesting story :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie and the book are way different. I personally prefer the book over the movie, but I still love both.

message 12: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Thomas (nidhithomas) | 144 comments I will read the book then haha Hmm I agree Books are way better than the movies but there are some which is as good as the books. Example- Harry Potter and The Vampire Diaries (even though it is completely different from the book)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

The only time I'll ever say the adaptation was better is with Wicked. I saw the musicial, but hated the book.

But I agree. Sometimes the book and movie/musicial are just as good as the other. I loved both the book and the movie for The Notebook.

message 14: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

I loved the play!!!!!! Me and my friends went around saying toss toss giggle for months!!!!!!!!!!! And I heard the book was pretty horrid.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Wicked kept droning on and on and on. I didn't even finish it.

message 16: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Thomas (nidhithomas) | 144 comments My friend loves the musical soooo so so much! I really want to see it!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I loooooooooooooveeeeeeeeeeee the musical. I can't read the book though.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I got bored and confused when reading the book. Actually, when I saw the musicial, it was a complete surprise until I got there. My uncle took me when I was about 12 years old. It was so amazing!

message 19: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

I went last fall (2010) and I loved it. I never thought I would like musicals and now I keep egging to go see another one!!!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sad I missed the Edward Scissorhands ballet when it came through one year. I really wanted to see that one, considering Edward Scissorhands is my favorite Tim Burton movie. I also really want to see the Dracula ballet.

message 21: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) Vampire Academy
House of Night Series
Harry Potter series
Hush Hush Saga
Twilight Series

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 3 comments Howl's Moving Castle is better as a book - the plot is more complex. I do really love the movie, but it's difficult to put everything from the book into the movie.

The same author (Diana Wynne Jones) wrote the Chronicles of Chrestomanci, also. That's a fun series and I just a did guest blog post about those books if you want to know more and enter the drawing to win a free copy. It's at http://www.rubysreads.com/2012/01/boo...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Howl's Moving Castle is better as a book - the plot is more complex. I do really love the movie, but it's difficult to put everything from the book into the movie.

The same author (Diana Wynne ..."

I totally agree. Howl's Moving Castle is better as a book, but the movie is still pretty good. Not really one of my favorite Miyazaki movies though. Of course, the book doesn't have that same Miyazaki feel to it, so I can see why it's so different. His movies tend to be fairly whimsical (minus Princess Mononoke), versus Howl's Moving Castle as a book, which is quirky, but still follows a plot. Also, there were a ton of things in the book that were left out or changed, which was kind of disappointing, but still worked for the movie.

message 24: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Thomas (nidhithomas) | 144 comments Well before I knew Twilight, I thought Edward Scissorhands and Edward Cullen were the same person.... I don't know

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Edward Scissorhands is soo much better. lol He also came first. I just felt like Scissorhands had more depth than Cullen. He wasn't quite human, and was totally misunderstood, but was still caring. Okay, he had a bit of a fetish with hands, but I think that's understandable, given his condition. Cullen just feels hollow to me. He's too perfect...

message 26: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Thomas (nidhithomas) | 144 comments Cullen. Perfect. Hardly! he is a whining baby! but he is quite good looking :D and sensitive and kind and sweet and loving and sad.....ok fine he maybe too perfect. Yeah then I learned they are two different people haha I haven't seen the movie or read the book :/

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Even though Edward Scissorhands was not human and had scissors for hands, I felt he was more realistic than Edward, who had at one point in is life been human. No one like Edward exists.

message 28: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Thomas (nidhithomas) | 144 comments True..Very true

message 29: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

I love both Edwards even though they're on two completely different sides of the spectrum. One completely perfect and the other so imperfect but both have so much mystery surrounding them. They're both rare but also common if you understand what I mean. I wouldn't say that he's too perfect because he definately has some cons to him, but you know true beauty lies within.......or so they tell me (:

message 30: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I. WANT. HALLOWED!!!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I have it requested at my library, but it isn't in yet! I've been waiting a year for this!

message 32: by Carly (new)

Carly Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix is an awesome take on Cinderella!

AriaStuckinWonderland (stuckinwonderland) Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare and The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #1-3) by Cassandra Clare.

I highly recommend this series. :D

message 34: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

Carly wrote: "Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix is an awesome take on Cinderella!"

Speaking of Cinderella has anyone read that book Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer?

message 35: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

I just got Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand downloaded a few days ago I can't wait to read it!!

message 36: by Adriana (last edited Jan 31, 2012 08:00PM) (new)

Adriana YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE IT!!!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I second that! Unearthly is an amazing book!! You won't be able to put it down. Same with the sequel, Hallowed. I'm almost done with Hallowed, and it's pretty suspenseful.

message 38: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

I read a couple pages and I just knew I had to buy it!!!!!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Trust me, when you finish Unearthly, you'll want to read Hallowed.

message 40: by Karina (new)

Karina (2187) Valencia wrote: "Carly wrote: "Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix is an awesome take on Cinderella!"

Speaking of Cinderella has anyone read that book Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer?"

I just got this! Unfortunately I need to finishe a few books before I can start it

message 41: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Murphy | 4 comments Anything ever written by the incredible Tamora Pierce. If you haven't read her books, you're missing out on some amazing stories and writing.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* | 103 comments I'm reading Cinder right now and really liking it. Although I think it's a bit more sci-fi than fantasy.

Has anyone mentioned Kristen Cashore's books yet? (Graceling, Fire, etc.) Because I love those. :)

message 43: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

I want to read Graceling.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* | 103 comments You should! I loved it, personally.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelMarie976) | 2 comments I recommend The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead is also amazing.

message 46: by Marie-Claude aka MC (last edited Jun 29, 2012 01:04AM) (new)

Marie-Claude aka MC I think Vampire Academy is THE best vampire series out there. In my opinion, I think it's even better than Twilight (and I LOVED Twilight). The beginning of the first book was a bit confusing, I wasn't sure I would be really into it, but I was hooked by the end of it. It's a superb series.

I also highly recommend The Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts. LOTS of fantasy and paranormal stuff... Vampires, witches, magicians. The storyline is totally awesome and it's different from everything else out there. All books are page turner. =)

message 47: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle | 116 comments I'm gonna have to check out "Just Ella"

Some of my all-time favorites include:
Dealing with Dragons (and series) by Patricia C. Wrede (SO funny and witty)
Dragon of the Lost Sea (and series) by Lawrence Yep
The Thief (and series) by Megan Whalen Turner - very clever
I enjoy a lot of Shannon Hale's books, she does a lot of retelling fairy tales. Also, Wildwood Dancing by by Juliet Marillier, and the various retold fairy tales by Robin Mckinley.

There's so much good YA fantasy out there.

message 48: by Madison (new)

Madison (TeddyBear99) Seekers was really good, I didnt expect much out of it but they were actually very good.

message 49: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

What's Seekers about?

message 50: by Becca (new)

Becca (BeccaTheAwesomeOne) | 158 comments Inkheart series!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unearthly (other topics)
Howl's Moving Castle (other topics)
Clockwork Angel (other topics)
The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass (other topics)
Cinder (other topics)
More...