~Young Adult Enthusiasts~ discussion

Recommendations > Debut Authors

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

Valencia (vvlovesu) | 2043 comments Mod
What are some good books by debut authors?

Morgan (morgzsydney) | 69 comments The unbecoming of mara dyer by michelle hodkin.

L.S. Murphy | 4 comments Morgan wrote: "The unbecoming of mara dyer by michelle hodkin."

Loved this book!

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Adriana The Roar by Emma Clayton. Fantastic book!

message 5: by Reving (last edited Jun 27, 2012 08:41PM) (new)

Reving | 4 comments Oh my gosh...you must check out Kimberly Reid. She has this great new series, Langford Prep and the first two books were awesome! Kimberly Reid

Sophie Schiller (SophieSchiller) Valencia wrote: "What are some good books by debut authors?"

If you loved "Summer of My German Soldier" or "Soldier X" or "The Art of Keeping Cool", you will love "Transfer Day" by Sophie Schiller, it's all that plus it's set on a Caribbean island during WWI and features a German U-boat deserter who is rescued by a spirited island girl.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

Jarom | 6 comments Evertaster has been compared to DaVinci Code, Ratatouille & Percy Jackson by publishing house.

Evertaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRX1gJ...

Jasmine | 27 comments Morgan wrote: "The unbecoming of mara dyer by michelle hodkin."

Enjoyed that book. Excited for the next one :D

Jessica Tornese | 48 comments I love Veronica Roth's Divergent series.Does anyone have any recommendations for YA historical fiction-my fave genre- or dystopian? I would love opinions/reviews of my new YA book as well-Linked Through Time

Cassandra Giovanni | 95 comments For historical fiction--Try out Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty, which is actually a trilogy. As far as dystopian I haven't read it, but have it on my to-read, Ally Condie's Matched. I am actually a writer of YA and just debuted my dystopian novel In Between Seasons. I'll check out your novel Jessica.

Cassandra Giovanni | 95 comments I added Linked Through Time to my to-read and entered the giveaway. I'll be picking this one up if I don't win. It looks great! :D

message 13: by Ally (last edited Jul 02, 2012 02:42PM) (new)

Ally Jessica - Though it's not historical fiction per se, I hear that Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix are sci-fi/time travel into the past/dystopian novels. I read the first one a long time ago and plan on rereading it now that the sequels have come out, so I can't give firsthand experience of reading. The sequels are the time travel ones I believe, and the first one sets the whole story up.

Again, also on my to-read list but haven't read is Revolution by Jennifer Donelly. I've heard raving reviews from people I know about it though. And that is definitely historical fiction.

I just entered for your giveaway! And like Cassandra said, I'll be reading it anyway if I don't win ;) Sounds cool!

Jenelle | 117 comments I've got a giveaway going on here: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

of my debut YA Fantasy novel

Jessica Tornese | 48 comments Cassandra wrote: "I added Linked Through Time to my to-read and entered the giveaway. I'll be picking this one up if I don't win. It looks great! :D"

Thanks much Cassandra- I appreciate the recommendation!

Jessica Tornese | 48 comments Ally wrote: "Jessica - Though it's not historical fiction per se, I hear that Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix are sci-fi/time travel into the past/dystopian novels. I read the first one a long time ago and pl..."

Thanks for the recommendations! NOw I can stock my kindle :)

Jessica Tornese | 48 comments Jenelle wrote: "I've got a giveaway going on here: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

of my debut YA Fantasy novel"

Just entered yours- sounds great! Mine is on giveaway thru July 21!

Jessica Tornese | 48 comments Jessica wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "I added Linked Through Time to my to-read and entered the giveaway. I'll be picking this one up if I don't win. It looks great! :D"

Thanks much Cassandra- I appreciate the recomm..."

Ooops! I meant support! :)

Jessica Tornese | 48 comments Ally wrote: "Jessica - Though it's not historical fiction per se, I hear that Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix are sci-fi/time travel into the past/dystopian novels. I read the first one a long time ago and pl..."

Thanks for the support! My sequel has just been contracted out- so it should be coming out this year I hope!

Jessica Tornese | 48 comments Cassandra wrote: "For historical fiction--Try out Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty, which is actually a trilogy. As far as dystopian I haven't read it, but have it on my to-read, Ally Condie's Matched. I am ..."

I haven't read any of those titles yet! They sound great- will check out your book as well!

message 21: by Cassandra (last edited Jul 02, 2012 03:27PM) (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 95 comments Excellent!I'm glad to support fellow authors and suggest other great ones! Congrats on contracting out the sequel. I hope you find interest in mine, it's dystopian, but concentrates more on the emotional effect on the two characters, and then rising up against who they were told to be and becoming who they are. I know some of the dystopian fiction out there has highly structured government factions, this one is a deconstructed government that is barely existent ;) I don't want to 'spoiler' though, so I'll say just that.
I just read Gwen Hayes Falling Under, which is more on the fantasy end and I quite enjoyed it.

message 22: by Aly (last edited Jul 02, 2012 05:31PM) (new)

Aly | 7 comments Jenelle wrote: "I've got a giveaway going on here: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

of my debut YA Fantasy novel"

Your book sounds amazing! Definitely something I would check out! I entered!

Jenelle | 117 comments Aly wrote: Your book sounds amazing! Definitely something I wo..."

Aw! Thanks!

Becca (BeccaTheAwesomeOne) | 159 comments The Emerald Atlas is wonderful. I'm pretty sure it's a debut

Crystal (crystalz) | 4 comments Legend by Marie Lu is really really good! I just finished it last week. The book is dystopian and is kinda like Hunger Games but not quite, but everything about it is amazing <3

Cassandra Giovanni | 95 comments I just finished The New Haven Project  Anomaly by Jessica Marie Gilliland the beginining was slow for me, but by the end I loved it.

message 27: by Julie (last edited Jul 29, 2012 06:28AM) (new)

Julie Reece | 28 comments Here is mine and two good friends debuts and some I've enjoyed recently if it helps ... :)

Want by Stephanie Lawton Crux by Julie Reece Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart What A Boy Wants (What A Boy Wants, #1) by Nyrae Dawn Sempre by J.M. Darhower

message 28: by Valencia, Boss Lady (new)

Valencia (vvlovesu) | 2043 comments Mod
Crystal wrote: "Legend by Marie Lu is really really good! I just finished it last week. The book is dystopian and is kinda like Hunger Games but not quite, but everything about it is amazing <3"

Legend was really really good. I can't wait for the next book!!!

Heather Alexander (HeatherAlexander) | 1 comments I definately would recommend Stacey Rourke's The Conduit, it is fantastic. Her second book Embrace is just as good.

Rachel (RachelMahurin) | 2 comments Jessica wrote: "I love Veronica Roth's Divergent series.Does anyone have any recommendations for YA historical fiction-my fave genre- or dystopian? I would love opinions/reviews of my new YA book as well-Linked Th..."

You should try the Adventurer's Wanted series by ML Forman. I read the first book twice in one day--that's how much I loved it. I've read it at least ten times since then.

Samantha | 151 comments The Missing series (Found, Sent, Sabotaged, Torn... ) are actually really good. The first one, Found, was not a historical fiction book but more of the setup to the whole series. The rest of the books after it are all historical fiction. They uncover the mysteries of history where important children went missing and the author, Margaret Peterson Haddix, gives an idea of what happened to each of the kids throughout history, that may or may not be true because they've never been solved.

message 32: by Samantha (last edited Aug 18, 2012 01:42PM) (new)

Samantha | 151 comments A Spy in the House (The Agency, #1) by Y.S. Lee is a great sort of historical fiction/mystery/romance novel.

Jennifer | 4 comments I just read a really cool article about an author named Jessica Khoury. I plan to get her book Origin next week for my Kindle. The storyline is set in the Amazon jungle and the article I read said there was mystery, suspense, and romance as well. I am excited, since I love reading new stuff from brand new authors!

Origin by Jessica Khoury Origin

message 34: by Kelly (last edited May 23, 2013 06:28PM) (new)

Kelly Hull (KellyVan) | 2 comments Not sure on the rules for authors posting, but I'm looking for readers interested in YA dystopian. Here's my debut novel. Tent City Tent City by Kelly Van Hull

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ashfall (other topics)
Evertaster (other topics)
Linked Through Time (other topics)
A Great and Terrible Beauty (other topics)
Matched (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kimberly Reid (other topics)