Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > 2012 reading challenge?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 95 comments i LOVED the 2011 reading challenge. when can we set up our 2012 challenge?

Nyssa | 381 comments *teasinme* wrote: when can we set up our 2012 challenge?"

This is the question of the hour!

I would be great if we could have the challenge set up before the first of the new year.

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 95 comments agreed!!!!!!

Brandon (brandonsears) I'm up for this. I'm excited to set my goal for 2012.

Nicole (swgirl) | 1 comments I wanna get in on this :)

Sylvain Bérubé (sylvainberube) | 1 comments I am waiting for this too!

Susie Spizzirro (spizzirro) | 30 comments I would like to set my goal & list my first 10 books or 2012.I would like to start @ least by Jan. 2nd, or 1st..

Kathy (liebling) | 2 comments I was just thinking about this, too. The 2011 challenge went really well for me and I even managed to get 130% done. I joined the challenge quite late, though, so I'd like to get in on it from the beginning next year and see if that'll help me read even more. :)

George (George1992) | 5 comments Agreed!

Susie Spizzirro (spizzirro) | 30 comments Yes agreed.

Rebecca (Gossamer8) | 1 comments Yes. We need this!! I've been eagerly awaiting the site update that allows up to sign up for next year. Though I did a crap job making my goal for 2011 it really did provide motivation and I wants it for 2012!! WANTS!

Elle (Louiselesley) | 86 comments Well didn't it start last year 1st January if I remember correctly? So it'd probably be the same this year?

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 95 comments But I was hoping to set it up earlier.

message 14: by Elle (last edited Dec 31, 2011 09:17AM) (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 86 comments Nothing really to set up? You just put in a number :O

Plus last year they didn't have a 2010 one so there was no overlap in which there would be this year = bad.

Karen (Cosmichomicide) | 3 comments Yep - I'm waiting on this to go up as well. Completed 2011 and looking forward to upping the number for 2012.

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 95 comments I know there is nothing to actually set up but Im in a hurry to plug in a number! In goal oriented!

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 67 comments Well.....it has been 2012 here in New Zealand for 9 hours and there is no 2012 Reading Challenge set up yet.....:-( I want the site-wide one like 2011....not a group one).

Dee (austhokie) | 1514 comments if it goes up, it probably won't be until 2012 pacific time, so in like 12 hours (give or take)

Daisy | 57 comments Me too: looking forward to this new challenge.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments Dee wrote: "if it goes up, it probably won't be until 2012 pacific time, so in like 12 hours (give or take)"

I don't think most Goodreads' staff will be back working until the holiday is over: Pacific time Tuesday the 3rd.

Dee (austhokie) | 1514 comments probably not, but maybe it is programmed in to launch at a specific time...I can hope right>

Karen | 1 comments I'm ready for the challenge, but haven't decided on a number yet.

Amanda (porterak) I want to try for a full year challenge. I started late but still met my goal and what to really have a go at it. So I hope it goes up soon!

Elle (Louiselesley) | 86 comments Lisa wrote: "Dee wrote: "if it goes up, it probably won't be until 2012 pacific time, so in like 12 hours (give or take)"

I don't think most Goodreads' staff will be back working until the holiday is over: Pac..."

it went live last year during holiday time though!

Beverly (bshrib) | 1 comments Hello! I'm new to Goodreads but I really want to participate in the 2012 Reading Challenge. How do you sign up once it does go live?

Thanks! :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8511 comments Beverly, there will probably be a link on the right side of your home page. It will be self-explanatory. Good luck - and hope you enjoy Goodreads as so many of us do!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

It's up.

Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) (Darkpool) | 229 comments I guess that means it's turned 2012 at the home of Goodreads!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy new year from the Left Coast.

Karen (Cosmichomicide) | 3 comments Now all I have to do is select my opening book of 2012! =}

Nyssa | 381 comments Completely superficial comment, but I love the pretty aqua/teal like color. :)

Natasha McNeely (NatashaMcNeely) | 1 comments I'm loving the color this year, and have set my minimum goal, though I intend to read more!

Amit (kakistos) | 17 comments So is there a way to brag on facebook about how many books you read in the 2011 challenge?

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 95 comments Ya!!!

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 95 comments Amit wrote: "So is there a way to brag on facebook about how many books you read in the 2011 challenge?"

If u have your Facebook account linked to here, just do a general status update saying how many you rea for the year. That's what I did. And it updated my Facebook status to say it.

message 36: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 01, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2901 comments Btw, if you want a different kind of challenge, like Review X Books, or Read from Books I Own, or Read X Books that have been made into Movies, whatever, you can join the new Challenge Yourself group. The host will be delighted to make a custom challenge for you if you can't find anything in the catalog already, and she's using the new Group Challenge Feature so you can track your progress.

You can do this, or even several of hers, in addition to the GR challenge.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8272 comments I just saw that the 2012 challenge is up on our home pages = www.goodreads.com, over on the right, below the 2011 challenge.

message 38: by Petra Xtra Crunchy (last edited Jan 02, 2012 07:37AM) (new)

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) | 4710 comments Lisa wrote: "I just saw that the 2012 challenge is up on our home pages = www.goodreads.com, over on the right, below the 2011 challenge."

Not customisable though. Having a thread in Challenge Yourself group is a workaround. It is not at all like having the official Challenge on the profile page that updates automatically from My Books and displays where you have got to.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2901 comments Well, no, the challenge you may choose from Challenge Yourself doesn't show on the profile page. But it does update from My Books and it does display within the group. It's a 'semi-official' Group Challenge, not just a mere thread.

message 40: by Almeta (last edited Jan 02, 2012 05:42PM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 264 comments Petra X wrote: "Having a thread in Challenge Yourself group is a workaround. It is not at all like having the official Challenge on the profile page that updates automatically from My Books and displays where you have got to. ..."

No these challenge tickers are not on your profile page, but you DO get a personal automatic ticker (based on your personal "My Books" bookshelves) for every challenge that you create for yourself. Not in a thread, but right at the challenge.

These tickers DO display your progress, how far you've come and far you have yet to go in meeting your challenge.

In addition, you can watch the progress of other members who are following a similar challenge to yours, comment on their progress and cheer them on.

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) | 4710 comments Almeta wrote: "In addition, you can watch the progress of other members who are following a similar challenge to yours, comment on their progress and cheer them on. "

That is actually what puts me off joining the group. As in the Official challenge, it is something I want to challenge myself to, I don't want any social interaction or any kind of competitive environment with others doing a similar challenge. I don't want to have other people follow my progress and cheer me on and then have to respond to comments or if not be seen as antisocial. I just want the challenge to be for myself alone.

It isn't this challenge alone. I do like chatting in groups but I have never wanted to participate in any group challenge. I am sure that I am not the only one who likes the idea of a non-competitive personal challenge.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8511 comments Petra X wrote: "It isn't this challenge alone. I do like chatting in groups but I have never wanted to participate in any group challenge. I am sure that I am not the only one who likes the idea of a non-competitive personal challenge. "

I started my own private group to test something else, and when this came up I used the group to test the challenge. It works, it's private, etc., and doesn't show on my profile page, so it won't be in *your* face. I can see it whenever it want.

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2901 comments Well, any challenge that shows on the profile page is 'competitive.' I, personally, would like community-wide challenges to be customizable, so I could do what I'm doing in Almeta's group but have my ticker on my profile page and be able to share my progress with the community and maybe have others join me if they liked the design of the challenge I'm doing.

For people who want it to be more personal, Elizabeth's suggestion makes a lot of sense.

In other words, the group Challenge Yourself is kinda in the middle of personal and communally competitive. And it's very well organized. And you don't have to chat if you don't want to. :)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 12 comments Can anyone tell me where I can find the statistics for the 2011 challenge, like who finished their challenges, what books were read the most, etc.?

message 45: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11149 comments Mod
Those who finished their challenges will have the badge on their profile (just below this year's challenge). I don't believe there is a list of completers.

Most read in 2011 (last updated Oct. 27)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 12 comments Thanks, Rivka. But I met my challenge yet I don't have a badge on my profile. Do you know how I can rectify that?

message 47: by Kristina Marie (last edited Jan 03, 2012 06:51AM) (new)

Kristina Marie | 34 comments Is there a way to allow re-read books to stay in both challenges (without adding another edition or joining a group challenge)?

message 48: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Thanks, Rivka. But I met my challenge yet I don't have a badge on my profile. Do you know how I can rectify that?"

Odd. Did you add the completing books within the past 24-48 hours?

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 12 comments rivka wrote: "Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Thanks, Rivka. But I met my challenge yet I don't have a badge on my profile. Do you know how I can rectify that?"

Odd. Did you add the completing books withi..."

Yes. I read the last bunch while I was away on vacation, with no access to a computer. I added them just now that I'm back home.

message 50: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Then it's a caching issue, and the badge should show up within a day or so.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread