Creative Reviews discussion

Author Resources > Beta Readers Wanted

Comments (showing 1-50 of 286) (286 new)    post a comment »

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Hey!
Are you a Beta Reader? Are you an author looking for a Beta reader?
Feel free to post if you are willing to be a Beta Reader for an author! Authors - feel free to search for a Beta or post what you are looking for here!!!

:)

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Dec 28, 2011 09:45AM) (new)

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments Thank you, Cambria! :-D
I'm always on the lookout for beta-readers willing to go through my adult fantasy stories.
I'm also available to beta-read, although for my skills in that department... well, you ask Splitter for credentials, haha! ;-)
Know that I still read as a reader and am very plot/character oriented, so if there's something wrong in your story... I'll notice! :-)
So, if you're an author, we can swap, if you're a reader, please check my profile, the thread with my free excerpts (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...) or message me on Goodreads and we can talk! :-)

Tricia Kristufek | 181 comments I'm willing to do Beta read, as long as I have a time frame in advance.

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments good to see this thread can be useful! great idea Barbara!

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments Cambria wrote: "good to see this thread can be useful! great idea Barbara!"

actually I think Georgina suggested it first... or somebody else in Experiment's thread on editing... don't want to take the credit for something - although I have been wondering if we could start such a thread for some months now, was just too shy to ask! :-)

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Well whoever's idea it was great thinking!!! :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it was Experiment's, I just latched onto it with enthusiasm. :)

Ermisenda Alvarez (ErmisendaAlvarez) | 44 comments I'm willing to Beta Read! I love urban fantasy, dystopian novels, YA (I prefer Hunger Games/Harry Potter kind of books. Not the Twilight kind), crime, thriller. Some fantasy. Send me a message and we'll see if it's a book I'm interested in. I'd give describe in detail what I think could be improved and what were the story's strong points.

I'm also looking for beta readers and reviewers for my novel Blind Sight: Leocardo Blind Sight Through the Eyes of Leocardo Reyes (Blind Sight, #1 Leocardo) by Ermisenda Alvarez and for my co-author's joint novel Blind Sight: Aniela Blind Sight Through the Eyes of Aniela Dawson (Blind Sight, #1 Aniela) by Eliabeth Hawthorne. It's an Urban Fantasy novel following a blind girl who begins to draw. It's told from two different perspectives, Leocardo and Aniela.

Ermisenda

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) ooooo me like this thread too and Erimisenda's book look too!
I just wish I had time to read something other than emails...sigh.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Jan 02, 2012 04:53AM) (new)

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Thank you for starting this thread, Cambria. It's a great idea!

I write in two genres: Romantic Suspense and SciFi Thrillers (complex series or novellas) though I'd say all of my books have common themes and moods to them. For instance, I write dark humor (aka gallows humor) but try not to make jokes at anyone's personal expense. If that sounds like a contradiction, that's me in a nutshell. My books are generally "thrillers for women" but that's not a genre and a HUGE percentage of my fans over the years (prior to publishing) have been male so I am loathe to say I write for women. I just don't write your typical action story.

My SciFi is usually in a somewhat dystopian far future and my Romantic Suspense involves some very edgy people and activities By edgy I mean not necessarily nice, peaches & cream or universally accepted as a morally correct person - and certainly, hired killers are engaged in "edgy" activities.

If violence bothers you or explicit sex (no closed bedroom doors) makes you uncomfortable, I cannot work with you and you won't enjoy my books--any of my books, regardless of genre.

Adult/sexual content: I find it impossible not to infuse sex in my stories and although I often skip past the Tab A in Slot B descriptions, I've also done quite a few of those--and I always have sequences that are deliberately designed to arouse a reader's libido and as a First Reader, I will want you to discuss with me whether or not you were aroused by reading it and if not, why not. Why turned you off, etc. If you are not comfortable talking about sex openly that way, again, I cannot work with you.

Violence: regardless of my genre, I typically use my work to illuminate issues of violence we humans do against each other. I am a passivist but oddly enough, have experienced enough violence in my own life as well as feeling the pain of others sharply enough that I cannot refrain from putting it into my work. Rape is but one of the many forms of violence against women. Severe beatings, sadistic tortures and of course, outright killings are going to show up and I am often graphic about it.

My intent is to make the reader cringe so I'll be asking about things like did you grit your teeth, were you crossing your legs, were you waiting for it all the back here? And I definitely look for detailed feedback on the moment when the reader first anticipates the violence. I like to build up to it because the anticipation is usually worse/more powerful than the actual act. I have to say, feedback over the years has told me that my detailed discussions about the violence pretty much take all the ooomph out of it for the First Readers so it's hard the first time you see it but not so much after that. Well, some scenes hurt my soul everytime I read them and I'm the one who wrote them!

Family Values: While a lot of romance novels paint a pretty picture of a so-called perfect family and call it a happy ending, I have flawed characters who don't have perfect lives and can still find a HEA. That's my magic ^_^ However.....

Another theme common in my work is human trafficking and specifically sex slave trade of children. There are trafficked slaves for labor of all ages but the children who are stolen, raped and murdered really cut deep into my soul so I try to infuse some aspect of slavery into my work no matter the genre. It is a heinous flaw in our human design to think we have the right to own another person and/or treat them like property. It is, sadly, not a new activity of our species nor will it, I fear, ever go away. If we colonize the stars, I'm sorry to say, my dystopic view is we will DEFINITELY take slavery with us.

If child molestation or sexual assault of any person or slave trade and/or working people to death bothers you, well, GOOD! It should! You also probably won't want to read my work. I'll warn you, I only make it worse, not better when a reader comments on it (thinking of a comment Cassie made about Conditioned Response "Oh, I just realized [50,000 words in] that the Proctors are kind of like slaves, aren't they?" which spurred me to make it EXPLICITLY clear in the first 50k words just how UNempowered they really are. Yes, they're slaves and they know it. And they're not the only ones enslaved in that scifi series but now that Cassie pointed out it wasn't obvious, I've made it MORE in your face for the next reader.

That's the kind of feedback I'd want and the way I would use it. If you don't want to be responsible for making things worse for my fictional people (chuckle) leave now while you can still escape! Broken kneecaps shouldn't stop you! Crawl, little reader, crawl! Kidding. I don't break kneecaps. I shoot them. :)

I also love animals so I try to insert animals into my stories whenever they make good characters. There's a Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD) in my Banbha Series (Romantic Suspense) for instance, as well as a Rottie and the Fictional Island of Banbha is in the Azores where wildlife abounds. I have the killer/heroes make a base there on purpose because guarding the wildlife gives them a good reason to shoot people who try to make landfall on the island uninvited. I won't have a token pet though. Either the animal has a point to the story or it's not there. Children and other small animals definitely are not "typical storyboook characters" in my books (grin)

If any of this sounds good to you and you'd like to be a part of my ongoing writing effort, I am definitely on the lookout for new First Readers at all times. I can never have enough. Some of my current readers have already read everything I've ever written because they've been friends with me for about 20 years. I've got a huge backlog of science fiction to edit and publish and about 8 books in 2 series of Romantic Suspense I want to write. I haven't published anything yet but am beginning release of the little monsters in 2012.

* caveat: although I've already given away more than 1000 copies of Coming Home (Dicky's Story) I don't count that as a "real" book. It is, definitely, and it's a fun Romantic Comedy and heartwarming Jewish Inspirational but it's not remotely like what I usually write so I don't tell people about it. It's an "odd man out" book. There will NEVER be another one like that. I don't even swear once in that book! (haha)

In 2012, I have several publications scheduled (3 eBooks, 2 paperbacks), all of which will need First Readers to help critique/give feedback and then if they'd like to do a second pass, help proofread after I finish the final edits and formatting. All books, e or paper, will need to have a separate set of eyes on them for formatting checks and the more platforms, the better. I have and can cover nearly everything but I do not own a Kindle device. I have an iPad, Android and Win7 laptop. Readers on MacOS or Kindles would be particularly helpful in test-checks.

I prefer to work with the same people throughout the lifecycle of a book and for the multiple books within a series but some of my First Readers have come on board for one book and bowed out of future involvement. It's a time commitment. I am a VERY structured and organized person. I spent 20 years in IT Management and definitely will set a schedule and stick to it--or die trying. Getting Dicky's Story out, a chapter a week for 20 weeks, my two First Readers both crapped out long before I did. I understand emergencies come up and I am flexible when people are communicative. Those 20 weeks of work included several "delays" or "reschedules" of deliverie--in both directions.

I become inflexible when someone fails to say something until an hour before a deadline or until after the fact. That's not helpful; that's destructive/toxic behavior. My #1 request from people wanting to get involved with my book process is that they commit with open eyes or not at all.

If you're interested in being in the Webbiegrrl Blizzard of First Readers, private message me here on Goodreads or send an email to webbiegrrlwriter at gmail dot com and we'll talk.

I'm currently still only about 50% done with the edits on the first SciFi release and already have a handful of critiquers to help but can always use more proofreaders. The proofing will need to be done before the end of this month and the book won't be available until I'm done with the edits so you do the math: short turnaround. If you're in, let me know ASAP.

Thanks again, Cambria for creating a space for this kind of solicitation and signup for the readers. Great idea.

-sry

Tricia Kristufek | 181 comments I read pretty much anything. While I don't think I have time to do one before the end of the month, Sarah, I would be willing to work with you in the future.

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) | 191 comments I'm also looking for beta readers. Unfortunately, with editing/writing and my day job, I don't have a lot of time to read for someone else. But if anyone is interested in being a beta reader, here's my info:

I write vampire books, althought it's hard for me to say they fit into a specific genre. They are dystopian/futuristic and have a little romance, but no graphic erotica-style sex. There is some violence in the later books in the series, some of it graphic. I've just released the second book in the series, so I'm looking for someone who could read the third book. You don't have to have read the first two to figure out what's going on. I can fill you in on anything you need to know that's happened previously.

It would be great if I could find someone to work with throughout the rest of the series, but I know everyone has obligations, too. So if you didn't want to read more than one book, that would be fine, too. If you're interested, please message me. If you want to look at my other book and see if it's something you'd be interested in reading, you can find it hereThe Superiors.

I'm looking for a reader who can tell me basic things like: If there are redundancies, plot inconsistencies, places where things need to be explained more or less, places where the plot lags, etc. Anything that bothers you while you're reading.

Again, contact me if you're interested!

Great thread, btw!
Lena

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Tricia wrote: "I read pretty much anything. While I don't think I have time to do one before the end of the month, Sarah, I would be willing to work with you in the future."

Psyched!!! That's very kewel, Tricia, and I shall defintiely add you to my mental list :)

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Lena wrote: "I'm also looking for beta readers. Unfortunately, with editing/writing and my day job, I don't have a lot of time to read for someone else. But if anyone is interested in being a beta reader, here'..."

Oh, come on Lena, you write vampire books without any blood? That's an oxymoron isn't it? I never read vampire books but even I know you gotta have blood or it's just Twilight sparklies, not REAL vampires.

CHOMP!

*shudder* gives me (good) chills just thinking about it some hunky vamp chomping down on my neck. Okay, I guess I see the allure...and yet I still won't read them. (LOL)

Karen (karenswart) Hi guys, create idea. I'm also looking for someone to help out with my YA Urban fantasy novel, and can also beta for someone else :)

Hot Stuff Book Reviews | 3 comments Hi everybody !

I'm new on this group and I hope it's not too soon for me to ask some help.

I'm french and I wrote a young-adult contemporary fiction in english. Now that it's done, I need beta readers to help me with my english and with my story like everybody in this topic I suppose.

My story is about some romance but also about how to forgive to someone, how to let people enter in your life and about friendship with a main character with - I hope - a strong personality. It's a little dark sometimes. Maybe.

If someone is not too frightened, feel free to contact me here on goodreads for further informations. Thank you.

Karen (karenswart) Stephanier76 wrote: "Hi everybody !

I'm new on this group and I hope it's not too soon for me to ask some help.

I'm french and I wrote a young-adult contemporary fiction in english. Now that it's done, I need beta r..."

Wow sounds juicy, I'll beta read it for you if you want :)

Hot Stuff Book Reviews | 3 comments It would be great but it's not a paranormal romance. I prefer to warn you before you feel trapped or something. Contact me by PM if you want. :)

Robin Waldrop (robinpwaldrop) | 16 comments Hi, I am looking for beta readers for Book 2 of my new YA/Urban fantasy SEries, TIES TO THE BLOOD MOON.

If you read book 1 and are anxiously awaiting to get your hands on book2, here is a way to not have to wait.

Contact me at robinpwaldrop@gmail.com

I will take the first ten beta's to contact me.

Shalena (shalenado79) | 7 comments I'm willing to be a beta reader for someone. I now have a Kindle Fire and would be willing to help out. Let me know please!

Robin Waldrop (robinpwaldrop) | 16 comments Shalena wrote: "I'm willing to be a beta reader for someone. I now have a Kindle Fire and would be willing to help out. Let me know please!"

Email me if you want to read for me. I could really use the help.

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments Shalena wrote: "I'm willing to be a beta reader for someone. I now have a Kindle Fire and would be willing to help out. Let me know please!"

yep, check my profile, I'd love to have more betas, if I'm in your preferred genre... :-)
creativebarbwire@gmail.com

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Barb (among others in this thread) did a fine job Beta reading for me. I like my test readers to be honest, good and bad.

Splitter

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments C.S. Splitter wrote: "Barb (among others in this thread) did a fine job Beta reading for me. I like my test readers to be honest, good and bad.

Splitter"

Where have you been? I missed you! :-D And if you'd ever want to return the favor and beta-read for me... you know where to find me! ;-)

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) | 191 comments Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Lena wrote: "I'm also looking for beta readers. Unfortunately, with editing/writing and my day job, I don't have a lot of time to read for someone else. But if anyone is interested in being a beta ..."

Whoa, where does it say no blood? There is lots of blood. Lots and lots of blood :). I said not much *graphic* violence...and like I said, it's hard to explain.

Kelly (KellyCoffee) | 12 comments Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Thank you for starting this thread, Cambria. It's a great idea!

I write in two genres: Romantic Suspense and SciFi Thrillers (complex series or novellas) though I'd say all of my books have common..."

Sarah,

I'm very new to this thread but I'd be more than happy to beta for you. I'm really getting into the beta/editing/writing world seriously for the first time, but you can ask Tricia for a reference. ^_~

Robin Waldrop (robinpwaldrop) | 16 comments Kelly wrote: "Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Thank you for starting this thread, Cambria. It's a great idea!

I write in two genres: Romantic Suspense and SciFi Thrillers (complex series or novellas) thoug..."

Hi Kelly, If you like YA/Urban fantasy and paranormal, I am writing book 2 of the series TIES TO THE BLOOD MOON. If you or anyone else is interested please email me at robinpwaldrop@gmail.com ;o)

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Hi Kelly, I'll keep you in mind, definitely! I'm having one major "issue" after another with this #%$*#^@^ book (grin) I'll get there. Do you prefer the Romantic Suspense or the SciFi stuff? It is a rare reader who loves both (but I happen to have a few)

-sry

Kelly (KellyCoffee) | 12 comments Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Hi Kelly, I'll keep you in mind, definitely! I'm having one major "issue" after another with this #%$*#^@^ book (grin) I'll get there. Do you prefer the Romantic Suspense or the SciFi stuff? It is ..."

Honestly, as long as the characters are good, I don't have much preference other than what mood I'm in at the time. Romance tends to be more character driven in general, but there's always so much room to be creative with SciFi. In general, though I'll probably lean more towards the SciFi. I'm a recent convert to some romance. I've still read "trashy romance novels" that definitely deserve the moniker, and make me a little twitchy. There's definitely a market for the bodice busters, but sometimes the character development is passed up for the smut. I'm all good with the smut, but I gotta care about the characters first. ^_^

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Kelly wrote:
Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Hi Kelly, I'll keep you in mind, definitely! I'm having one major "issue" after another with this #%$*#^@^ book (grin) I'll get there. Do you prefer the Romantic Suspense or the SciFi stuff? It is ..."

Honestly, as long as the characters are good, I don't have much preference other than what mood I'm in at the time. Romance tends to be more character driven in general, but there's always so much room to be creative with SciFi. In general, though I'll probably lean more towards the SciFi. I'm a recent convert to some romance. I've still read "trashy romance novels" that definitely deserve the moniker, and make me a little twitchy. There's definitely a market for the bodice busters, but sometimes the character development is passed up for the smut. I'm all good with the smut, but I gotta care about the characters first. ^_^

Kelly, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm telling you I'm cursed. In the last 2 weeks I've had 4 CDs "go bad" thus losing my back up copies AS I'M WORKING. It's kind of driving me crazy that my computer is dying faster than I can use it to get this book out. I'm not sure what I'll do once it really dies. The I/O errors are completely unpredictable. I sometimes feel like the harder "Something in the Universe" tries to stop me from publishing this book, the more I know how RIGHT it is!

I'm still making progress on the edits, albeit slower than ever! I've snippeted the first 40k words on the Phoenician Series blog and you can sample it there to see if the sexual tension is too much of a distraction for you. It's kind of a key to this book but I don't put erotica style sex into this book...well, not really. The flirtatious interactions are way more key. The characters are definitely well-developed--I've known them for 30 years! haha

If, after reading that sample, you're interested in being a typo-level reviewer after the content edits are done, please private msg me (@phoenicianbooks on Twitter or phoenicianbooks at gmail dot com for email).

I already have a half dozen content level "editor" style First Readers and honestly, I can't take inputs from more than 5 or 6 people. I had 10 from August to October and have incorporated pretty much all of the feedback I got then. It's hard to consolidate everyone else's opinions with my own though so I'm drawing a line and just going with my gut at this point ^_^ I need to tighten it a bit still and that's where I hope the handful of FRs I already have will help me.

Typos and formatting checks on various reader devices are definitely much needed and appreciated. I have eReader apps for multiple platforms but only an iPad for devices. I need to get a Kindle 1.0 or something cheap.

Of course, after all the content edits, typo corrections and formatting checks, I am ALWAYS looking for reviewers -- aren't we all? ^)^

-sry

Kat (KatZombie) Can I ask a really newb kinda question - what is exactly expected from beta-readers? Spell check, formatting, fact check?

Robin Waldrop (robinpwaldrop) | 16 comments Hey Kat, As far as I know only obvious spelling errors, anything that seems off, and maybe plot holes.

I'm only guessing though.

Robin

Experiment BL626 Kat wrote: "Can I ask a really newb kinda question - what is exactly expected from beta-readers? Spell check, formatting, fact check?"

Whatever the author wants. When I did BE for the first time, I did everything. Content-editing, line-editing, format-editing — name a kind of editing and I did it.

It's important that you ask what the author wants in case you end up doing too much or too little which can piss off an author. It was my first time, and I didn't ask and I ended up doing more than the author cared for.

Kat (KatZombie) Thanks Experiment, good to know.

I can totally wield the red pen when needed. Or the Kindle highlight thingy!

Experiment BL626 Kat wrote: "Thanks Experiment, good to know.

I can totally wield the red pen when needed. Or the Kindle highlight thingy!"

You're welcome. =) Oh, this website helps: http://www.jae-fiction.com/beta_readi... Beta Reading 101 right there.

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Kat wrote: "Can I ask a really newb kinda question - what is exactly expected from beta-readers? Spell check, formatting, fact check?"

Hi Kat,

I'd add that it really depends on the author and what they need and/or want from their Beta Readers (I call mine First Readers or FRs). Not only does the tasking vary from one author to the next, I've found that i vary my expectations based on who my FRs are and what experience they may or may not have --with me, with reading my style/genre, with editing, with the technology (tools) being used.

In addition to your finding different authors have different expectations and my finding (as an author) different FRs have different abilities to meet my "current" expectations, I find that from one project (book) to the next, my needs or desires or expectations might vary as well. For a book I either haven't finished writing or have just finished writing, I might actually want reader inputs on how the story should work--what should happen! That's pretty involved. That's also not a guarantee I'll take a single suggestion I'm offered--or I might take five conflicting ones and "meld" them with my own vision and come up with some "six sense" of the book (haha, I hated that movie but had to say it once I started the sentence!)

I think the bottom line is that you should volunteer to do what you feel comfortable doing and seek out an author who actually needs your skills, abilities and interests. Don't try to force yourself into some author's niche or set of expectations. I plan to send out a list of questions and expectations to my FRs for my current WIP (work in process) but I've been communicating with the group of them all along and I know all of them are capable of meeting my expectations. If I were looking for FRs for my next book (a Romantic Suspense and it'll be part of a series) I'd set out what activities I'd want and ask for volunteers.

If you scroll back through this thread of posts, you'll find my very long description of my style--what it is as defined by what it is NOT. I've never really run into anyone reading my stuff and getting all upset or embarrassed or offended or whatever but I've never solicited total strangers to read my work before coming to this thread to solicit FRs from this group. I've always had FRs I choose from groups of people who've read snippets and vie for a spot on my team. I'm lucky that way, I guess. I've had this kind of "flock" of readers for years, though the actual members of the "flock" have changed with the wind. There are always numbers of people I can choose. I always choose those who are eloquent, communicative, responsive to social contacts and easy to talk to (which I'm not, always) If they can deal with me in email, they can deal with me under a deadline.

HTH you understand the role of Beta Reader (or FR)

-sry

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments Kat wrote: "Can I ask a really newb kinda question - what is exactly expected from beta-readers? Spell check, formatting, fact check?"

For me, I need a reader perspective, as I pay editors to do the proofing! ;-) Although if you see a typo and point it out it's fine. But mostly I need to know when I lost you, when I confused you, when I went too fast or too slow and things like that...

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Barb those are some of the questions I'll often ask, too. Good list.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, I want to know the places where the reader puts the book down and goes off to do something else. Because they shouldn't! They should be glued to it, unable to put it down! Also dodgy dialogue, irritating or overly repetitive traits in characters, unbelievable situations, anything that jars. All the flaws and failings, because let's face it, it's better to find out before release when we are ready and able to fix any issues.

Experiment BL626 Georgina wrote: "Yep, I want to know the places where the reader puts the book down and goes off to do something else. Because they shouldn't! They should be glued to it, unable to put it down! Also dodgy dialogue,..."

I wonder... what do authors do when they have beta readers with conflicting critiques?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Experiment wrote: "Georgina wrote: "Yep, I want to know the places where the reader puts the book down and goes off to do something else. Because they shouldn't! They should be glued to it, unable to put it down! Als..."

I average it out. How many people had the same complaint? It's surprising how much they tend to agree (not surprising at all really, they are seeing the faults). Occasionally I can see where the age or disposition of the reader alters their view. But I take it all onboard to greater or lesser degrees.

I now have a developmental editor too. She's a book doctor, finds out where the book's ailing and helps you to fix it. :)

message 43: by Sarah (last edited Feb 29, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Experiment wrote: "I wonder... what do authors do when they have beta readers with conflicting critiques?"

In my case, I go with my own opinion. Also, it depends on how many FRs there are and if one feels "A" while 5 or 6 feel "B" then probably the majority are "right." I definitely tend to take comments in context, though - from whence they come. I have SciFi fans who read my Romantic Suspense and I don't categorically ignore their negative reactions to classic romance novel-isms but I do "filter" their negative reactions in light of the fact they don't actually READ that genre. Unless they read both. I have a rare 2 or 3 FRs who do both (all male, oddly enough).

When it comes down to the end of the day, it's still my book and therefore, my job to determine what works best for the story. Whether it be a character trait/flaw or a plot point, there's no FR who can (or should IMO) ever know more or better than I do how it "should" be. If they did then it'd be their book, not mine.

IMO it's not the job of the first reader to fix anything anyway. It's their job to identify problems, not suggest solutions. I don't mind a FR who tries to suggest solutions so long as they have not failed to identify the problem clearly and compeltely first.

The reason I say this is that a lot of readers get really caught up in the creative flow, the excitement of helping to shape a story, the energy that comes when a story is "alive" and undergoing change. Yes, it's exciting but when that happens, a good FR will be objective, not immersed in it. Getting immersed in it all gets a reader lost from the goal of reading/critiquing a story for someone else I think that participatory process has to be how fanfic got started in the first place :-)

-sry
p.s. about an hour ago I finished nearly all of my edits. I have one last scene to write at the 90% mark of the book (the ending is already written, unchanged from the 1986 version), which I'll do next week on my days off but I am THIS close! So exciting!! (( LOL had to edit to add in the missing word -- my biggest typo!!))

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments Experiment wrote: "I wonder... what do authors do when they have beta readers with conflicting critiques? "
That's why I try to have at least 2 or 3. If it's only one person, it's probably that person, if it's 2 or more, I have a problem... Of course the final choice is mine! :-)
BTW, I have a body switch story ready for betas, if anyone is interested... a married woman switches body with a gay young man! ;-)

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments I try to have at least 3 (an odd number) and prefer 5 or 7. It's almost a full-time job just managing them all at once (and I like to have them ALL read at the same exact time and NOT do anymore changes until I have ALL the inputs back) but I find it's better, faster, cheaper to do a group read than to do one at a time, in serialization. I also don't run into a "me versus them" attitude with any one person because there's a whole group of "them" and only one of "me" and as already said, ultimately, the "me" is the one who has to stand by any decisions made.

Barb, I am often (often!!) told (by my str8 male friends) that I am actually a gay man trapped in a (str8) woman's body, but I'm not married (not in a committed relationship right now) and I think most of the gay men I know are way more conservative than I am so I'm not sure what that sez about me, my str8 male friends or my gay male friends. I think I probably am a lot more "male" than most women but only because I'm a Scorpio (haha)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "I try to have at least 3 (an odd number) and prefer 5 or 7. It's almost a full-time job just managing them all at once (and I like to have them ALL read at the same exact time and NOT do anymore ch..."

I like 7 too.

And if you are a gay man trapped inside a str8 woman's body it's probably why I like you so much, Sarah. All my closest friends are gay.

:)Georgina.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

You're a Scorpio. That figures too! My husband's a Scorpio and his mum (yes, I have a Scorpio Mother-in-law!)

I'm a Pisces.

message 48: by Barbara (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:40AM) (new)

Barbara G.Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments I'm also a gay man trapped in a woman's body, but I'm a Virgo! ;-)
Still, the POV of the gay young man in the body switch is the less explored... I'd rather be in the head of his partner, or the woman's husband dealing with him! ;-)
Anyway, still waiting for betas... anyone? *puppy eyes*
(if interested, please PM me on Goodreads and I'll get in touch!)

message 49: by H.S. (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:14AM) (new)

H.S. St.Ours (HS_StOurs) | 8 comments I'd be happy to beta read. Some of the work here looks fascinating.

I'd also like to get any beta readers interested in young adult, science fiction adventure for girls. I have 2 in the series so far, and they are getting good reviews, but I need a wider audience to know for sure. I have reader copies in PDF and ePub format for anyone interested.

Little Women - Young Moon (Little Women #1) by H.S. St.Ours
Little Women is a saga of the terraforming of the worlds of the Inner Solar System as seen through the eyes of generations of young women. Book 1 tells the story of Young Moon, a talented and extraordinary girl, born in North Korea in the near future, who’d like nothing more than to be left alone to talk to the visions she sees in her drawings -- visions that come to warn her of an impending catastrophe. Young Moon’s family escapes to China, where she witnesses her father set in motion a world-shaking disaster of epic proportions.

From the Amazon reviews:

5 Stars. "Gripping....could not put it down!"
5 Stars. "...highly imaginative, emotionally gripping, its images still haunt me."
5 Stars. "A Gripping Page-Turner!!!"
5 Stars. "...interesting characters and constant twists and turns."
5 Stars. "I can't wait to read more from this author."
5 Stars. "Do yourself a favor, and buy this book."
"You just can’t put the book down." -Readers' Favorite

Little Women - Sami (Little Women, #2) by H.S. St.Ours
Fifteen-year-old Sami Walker wasn’t born in the tunnels. She's traveled all over, even as far as the Northern caves beyond Eastport. Only nobodies went farther than that. Story was, there were towns beyond the Dustbowl, but most folk thought that was just stories.

It’s been almost a century since the sky fell and the world broke apart in a day, and still the people spent their whole lives underground, either in the Five Tunnels, or in the caves, shielded by living stone.

Sami’s mom and dad are long since dead, and her friends, Sef and Glyn, vanished without a trace, over a year ago, or were chased from the tunnel by the Judge. Now her dearest pal, Simma, was leaving, too, to live under the water in tunnel Tee Two, with her mom and her mom’s new boyfriend.

She used to feel safe in the tunnels. Used to feel at home. But now, she wasn’t so sure. There was something in the air. Her only friend left was her dog Scout, a tunnel stray who adopted her a year ago. And old Miz Murphy, of course, who lived in the hovel below her, deep down in Far Northend, the oldest dig in Tee Four.

For decades, crowds of people have waved through the tunnels, following the green arrows, pushing up and out Eastport, heading North. They heard the air was better there, and most didn’t like the tunnels one bit anyway.

But now, nobodies and someones alike were disappearing, and voices came to her in the dark, warning her of a great danger to come. Sami alone looks for answers, and discovers a world-shaking disaster of epic proportions.

“Little Women - Sami” is an adventure of courage and hope, as Sami uncovers a mystery that spans worlds.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "I'm also a gay man trapped in a woman's body, but I'm a Virgo! ;-)
Still, the POV of the gay young man in the body switch is the less explored... I'd rather be in the head of his partner, or the w..."

Well ditto about you Barb! :)

I would beta for you but I'm right in the middle of my own edits. But one day I'd love to.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blind Sight Through the Eyes of Aniela Dawson (other topics)
Blind Sight Through the Eyes of Leocardo Reyes (other topics)
Coming Home (other topics)
The Superiors (other topics)
Sami (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Alders (other topics)