Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - Games > LOST - 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 189) (189 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Tien (last edited Jan 22, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 4925 comments Mod
LOST: Longest On Shelf To-read

Here is the thread for 2012.

For Newcomers: Welcome!! The challenge is to list 10 of the ‘oldest’ books on your TBR and read them in 2012.

message 4: by LynnB (last edited Dec 22, 2012 09:33AM) (new)

LynnB | 1171 comments In 2011 I finished 8 of 10, but this year I'm going for them all...

1. English Creek read 12/12
2. We Are Still Married read 7/12
3. A Year in Provence read 3/12
4. Carry On, Jeeves read 3/12
5. Oh My Stars read 11/12
6. The Spectator Bird read 9/12
7. Cranford read 2/12
8. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life read 3/12
9. Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed: The Story of the Village of Le Chambon and How Goodness Happened There
10. Suite Française read 3/12

Completed: 10/10

message 5: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:18PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2500 comments Mod
I totally did not do well with this one in 2011, but it meshes with a challenge in another group this year, so I think I will try it again.

Here is my list:

1. The Secret Life of Bees
2. The Poisonwood Bible
3. The Kite Runner
4. The Shadow of the Wind ***** 2/24
5. The Fire
6. The Mists of Avalon
7. The Street of a Thousand Blossoms
8. I Am the Messenger
9. The Way of the Traitor
10. Déjà Dead

message 6: by Coralie (last edited Oct 08, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Coralie | 714 comments I will give this a try this year as I have too many books on my bottom shelf that I keep ignoring.

1. Snow Crash
2. A Fall of Princes
3. Simulacron 3
4. Death in the Castle
5. The Lute Player
6. Lords of the Psychon
7. A Spot of Bother
8. The Peshawar Lancers
9. King's Blood
10. When the Devil Dances

message 7: by Tien (new)

LynnB wrote: "In 2011 I finished 8 of 10, but this year I'm going for them all......"

Lynn, let's read Cranford together! Say, start date of either 15 Jan / 1 Feb, if you're agreeable? :)

message 8: by Bea (last edited Nov 30, 2015 02:54PM) (new)

Bea | 2166 comments Mod
I only got about half of my 2011 list read. I hope to do better in 2012.

My top thirteen (Les Miserables fell off since it was started but not finished and two moved to SRC list):

1. Les Misérables
2. The Secret Life of Bees
3. Sunflowers
4. The Bodies Left Behind
5. To Play With Fire: One Woman's Remarkable Odyssey
6. Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time
7. Midwives
8. The Bourne Sanction
9. Roses
10. The Swan Thieves
11. The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn
12. Small Kingdoms
13. John Adams

message 9: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1171 comments Kazza wrote: "Lynn, let's read Cranford together! Say, start date of either 15 Jan / 1 Feb, if you're agreeab..."

Sounds good! I noticed you had it on your list, too. Just let me know when you want to start and I'm good with that.

message 10: by Blue Eyed Vixen (new)

Blue Eyed Vixen | 2 comments Wow. This is a great idea....and the title really does fit the challenge in my case.
I'll list my books later when I switch from iPhone app over to web version. Vix.

message 11: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Bea wrote: "I only got about half of my 2011 list read. I hope to do better in 2012.

My top eleven (Les Miserables fell off since it was started but not finished):

1. Les Miserables
2. The Bodies Left Behin..."

I loved The Swan Thieves!!! Enjoy!

message 12: by Susan (last edited Jan 01, 2012 09:22AM) (new)

message 13: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2166 comments Mod
Just realized that two others fell off because they were moved to SRC list. So I edited my list to include them.

message 14: by Blue Eyed Vixen (new)

Blue Eyed Vixen | 2 comments What a great idea....this may be the only way I will feel motivated to dig to the bottom of my pile.
1. Full Moon Rising by Kerri Arthur
2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
3. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
4. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
5. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
6. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
7. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
8. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kid
9. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
10. Fire by Kristin Cashore

message 15: by Bea (last edited Dec 31, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

Bea | 2166 comments Mod
I know the purpose of this challenge is to read our oldest books on the TBR, but this thread is making me want to add new books to my TBR! I have seen several that are intriguing me!

message 16: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1171 comments Bea wrote: "I know the purpose of this challenge is to read our oldest books on the TBR, but this thread is making me want to add new books to my TBR! I have seen several that are intriguing me!"

LOL! I have the same problem!

message 17: by Tara (last edited Sep 04, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments So I failed at the Lost Challenge for 2011. I just kept getting side tracked. I will try again in 2012 though. Just to help me not get stuck I am going to do only books I own (I hope that is OK!).

1. The Birth House
2. The Third Angel
3. Me & Emma
4. The Lace Reader
5. Vacation
6. Time of My Life
7. The Smart One
8. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
9. Thank You for Smoking
10. Darling Jim

message 18: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1171 comments Tara wrote: "So I failed at the Lost Challenge. I just kept getting side tracked. I will try again in 2012 though."

I didn't get all of mine read last year, either, but I just figure that every one read is one less on the bottom of the pile!

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2166 comments Mod
I just reviewed my list and found that several are big books (over 500 pages). I edited the list to show which ones I own and which are library. The good news is that I have access to all 13, so no excuses this time.

message 20: by Jen B (last edited Feb 14, 2012 03:50AM) (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Going to give this one a try:

1. Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell (Currently Reading)
2. The Broken Shore - Peter Temple
3. Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil - Deborah Rodriguez
4. Promise Not to Tell - Jennifer McMahon
5. The Thorn Birds - Colleen McCullough
6. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
7. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
8. Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn
9. London Is the Best City in America - Laura Dave
10. Happy Birthday or Whatever: Track Suits, Kim Chee, and Other Family Disasters - Annie Choi

message 21: by Amy (last edited Oct 05, 2012 07:33PM) (new)

Amy | 994 comments Here are my oldies:

Three I didn't complete from last year:

1. Blowback (**1/2)
2. Stones from the River (***)
3. Midwives (***)

Plus:

4. Takedown (***1/2)
5. Heartsick (***)
6. The Anatomy of Deception (**1/2)
7. The Magicians (*)
8. How to Talk to a Widower (***1/2)
9. I Know This Much is True
10. Honolulu (****)

Done!

message 22: by Tien (new)

Tara wrote: "So I failed at the Lost Challenge for 2011. I just kept getting side tracked. I will try again in 2012 though. Just to help me not get stuck I am going to do only books I own (I hope that is OK!..."

Tara, that's perfectly fine. Why can't you give priority to books you actually own?!!?

I think this year someone is going to have to do a post every month for a crack down - no excuses to fall behind this year *laughs*

message 23: by Luann (last edited Mar 21, 2012 03:22PM) (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments I want to join in this year! Here is my list:

1. Edward's Eyes by Patricia MacLachlan - read 3/18/12 -- 3 stars
2. The Akhenaten Adventure by P.B. Kerr - read 2/23/12 -- 3.5 stars
3. The Misadventures of Maude March by Audrey Couloumbis
4. Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card - read 3/11/12 -- 3.5 stars
5. Victory by Susan Cooper
6. Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde
7. First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde
8. Touching Darkness by Scott Westerfeld
9. Blue Noon by Scott Westerfeld
10. Thomas and the Warlock by Mollie Hunter

message 24: by Susan (last edited Jan 01, 2012 01:30PM) (new)

Susan | 2452 comments Mod
First one down (because I'd been trying to get it in for the ROAR challenge, and didn't quite make it): High Steel.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Taking it easy for one more day, trying to hold onto a vacation feeling -- a perfect day to read #2: The Cat Who Robbed a Bank

message 26: by Sarah (last edited May 01, 2012 04:53PM) (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I might give this a go this year and see if I can fit things into the monthly themes. Skipped a few I'm not sure I want to read anymore

1) How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
2) Ulysses
3) Magic for Beginners gave up on it
3) Little Women
4) Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
5) The Name of the Rose
6) Wide Sargasso Sea
7) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
8) Cold Comfort Farm
9) A Thousand Splendid Suns
10) Brave New World - READ

message 27: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Okay I got one read. By a Lady: Being the Adventures of an Enlightened American in Jane Austen's England by Amanda Elyot. Woot! One down.

message 28: by Karen (last edited Jul 17, 2012 08:14AM) (new)

message 29: by Susan (last edited Jan 21, 2012 06:06AM) (new)

Yay! A book from my LOST list that's on the month's shelf! It's Child 44, and I gave it 3 stars.

That's 3 down and 7 to go -- way ahead of where I was this time last year.

message 30: by Tien (new)

Susan wrote: "Yay! A book from my LOST list that's on the month's shelf! [It's [b:Child 44|2161733], and I gave it 3 stars.

That's 3 down and 7 to go -- way ahead of where I was this time last year."

You're WAY ahead, period! :)

message 32: by Christina (last edited Mar 18, 2012 04:35PM) (new)

Christina (MySewCalledAdventure) | 235 comments I think I have a higher chance at succeeding at this challenge this year compared to ROAR last year...except when considering book #8. Good luck everyone!

2. The Art of Racing in the Rain
3. Middlesex
4. Love in the Time of Cholera
5. The Kite Runner (03/06/12)
6. Peony in Love
7. The Time Traveler's Wife
8. Gone With the Wind
9. The Other Boleyn Girl
10. The Birth of Venus

message 33: by Tien (new)

Christina wrote: "I think I have a higher chance at succeeding at this challenge this year compared to ROAR last year...except when considering book #8. Good luck everyone!

2..."

Christina, I read Gone With the Wind ages ago and don't remember it taking a long time at all. It's one of those books you get really caught up with and finish in no time at all. So I don't think you have anything to worry there ;)

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina (MySewCalledAdventure) | 235 comments Kazza wrote: "Christina wrote: "I think I have a higher chance at succeeding at this challenge this year compared to ROAR last year...except when considering book #8. Good luck everyone!

1. [book:The Secret Lif..."

Good to know! Thanks Kazza :) I just went back to school full time without quitting my job, I'm helping three people plan their weddings...maid of honor in at least 2 so far, and I am planning my own :) :) I haven't picked up a book in a week and it makes me sad!!! :-P I think I can do this though!!! :)

message 35: by Tien (new)

If you do a lot of driving around - you may want to consider taking on audiobook :)

message 36: by Susan (new)

Kazza wrote: "If you do a lot of driving around - you may want to consider taking on audiobook :)"

I also find my Nook (or a Kindle or whatever) is good to always have in the car, in case I'm stuck waiting for someone who's late, or even waiting in a long line at the post office. It can be a different book from what I'm reading at night in bed. But it's nice to pick up a "friend" rather than chafe at the time "wasted" when other people's schedules don't quite mesh with mine.

message 37: by Tien (new)

Susan wrote: "Kazza wrote: "If you do a lot of driving around - you may want to consider taking on audiobook :)"

I also find my Nook (or a Kindle or whatever) is good to always have in the car, in case I'm stuc..."

I'm with you there - always have my Kobo on hand for the spare minute I have waiting around ;)

message 38: by Kerste (new)

Kerste | 10 comments I'll join you.

My list is:

1. Sins of the Night
2. The Great Expectations School: A Rookie Year in the New Blackboard Jungle
3. Escape
4. The Commitment: Love, Sex, Marriage, and My Family
5. Rightsizing Your Life: Simplifying Your Surroundings While Keeping What Matters Most
6. Soulless
7. My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
8. Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture
9. Naked in the Rain
10. Switch - if I can find it
11. Gift from the Sea - if I can't find Switch.

It's interesting, I read a lot of books from one genre, but I put lots of different kinds of books on my TBR, then never read them. This gives me a chance to catch up on the ones I have left to linger.

message 39: by Christina (new)

Christina (MySewCalledAdventure) | 235 comments Kazza wrote: "If you do a lot of driving around - you may want to consider taking on audiobook :)"

Yeah I actually started one the other day. It's not the same though. Plus I own all the books on my list already plus another 400ish that I need to read. (I have a problem. It's the library's fault for selling 3 for $1.25) ;)

message 40: by Tien (new)

Christina wrote: "Kazza wrote: "If you do a lot of driving around - you may want to consider taking on audiobook :)"

Yeah I actually started one the other day. It's not the same though. Plus I own all the books on ..."

I know what you mean! The other day, the library had a sale for $1 for as many books you can fill in a bag (it's a regular plastic shopping bag) but seriously, WHO can resist a $1 bag filled with books?!!?!?!

message 41: by Christina (new)

Christina (MySewCalledAdventure) | 235 comments Kazza wrote: "Christina wrote: "Kazza wrote: "If you do a lot of driving around - you may want to consider taking on audiobook :)"

Yeah I actually started one the other day. It's not the same though. Plus I own..."

Hahahaha Not me!!!!!!!! I've actually had to avoid the library for a bit so my fiancé wouldn't kill me for all the books I keep buying. He says I need to read what I already have first (what an idea!) so this challenge is perfect for achieving that. BUT I'm missing two on the list so guess where I'll be looking for it!? I wonder how many books I'll buy before I find them ;)

message 42: by Tien (new)

I'm wondering if you guys would like me to put this (LOST) up on the challenge feature?

message 43: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1171 comments Kazza wrote: "I'm wondering if you guys would like me to put this (LOST) up on the challenge feature?"

I think it should be there. It is a challenge that we seem to be keeping on-going.

message 44: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2166 comments Mod
I agree with putting it with challenges. LOST gets lost often for me.

message 45: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments So, I crossed another one off the list because I gave it 100 pages, but I just can't do it. It's too depressing. So Paint It Black is outta here!

message 46: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 97 comments Well, I got through about half of my LOST list last year. (tongue twister!) Although technically a big fail, I'm happy I was a able to finally pick up a few. Here's hoping this year is a success!

My list:

1. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
2. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
3. The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
4. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
5. The Cave by Tim Krabbé
6. Company of Liars by Karen Maitland
7. The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity by Matt Miller
8. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
9. Babi Yar: A Document in the Form of a Novel; New, Complete, Uncensored Version by A. Anatoli
10. God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question-Why We Suffer by Bart D. Ehrman

message 47: by Tien (new)

FYI, LOST is now up on the challenge feature :)

message 49: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) | 129 comments Tina wrote: "I didn't do so well the last time I tried this, but I'm a HUGE fan of second chances, so here's my new list :)

1. Shōgun
2. The Mists of Avalon
3. Cruel as the Gr..."</i>

Tina, I'm a huge fan of [book:The Mists of Avalon
one of my all time favourites. Very long but worth the effort. I am going to look further at # 5 and 10 on your list - they sound interesting too. Good luck with your new list :)

message 50: by Susan (new)

This month's shelf has turned out to be a great one for me for picking off books from my LOST list. I just finished The Wanting Seed, which means I'm 5 down and 5 to go. My review here .

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book of Salt (other topics)
The Egyptologist (other topics)
Message In A Bottle (other topics)
Cranford (other topics)
The Daisy Chain, Or, Aspirations: A Family Chronicle (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julie Anne Peters (other topics)
Carlos Ruiz Zafón (other topics)
Brian Sibley (other topics)
Agatha Christie (other topics)
More...