The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) The Lord of the Rings discussion


436 views
The Top Reason You Like The Lord Of the Rings

Comments (showing 1-50 of 54) (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sohail Keegan (new)

Sohail Keegan So, question is this: What is the TOP reason you like LOTR?

Mine is just one: Frodo Baggins fails the quest assigned him. He is seduced by the power of the Ring, and very nearly causes the destruction of Middle-Earth. Gollum is the one who inadvertently destroys the Ring (and himself with it, but that's neither here or there).


Rose I think... Sam Gamgee & Frodo Baggins. They were just such a good adventuring pair - wise, distant Frodo, who would fail on his own, and the unwilling side-kick who doesn't want to be there but is too loyal to leave. It's nice to see an unlikely hero/set of hero's that isn't almost perfect (as they are in most books).


message 3: by Gerd (last edited Jan 04, 2012 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gerd At the time I read LotR it was Tolkien's grand sweeping way as a writer, going from the hundredths to the thousandths, skipping between actual storyline and mythological/folkloristic backdrop, the lush descriptions of his made up world, that entirely fascinated me.

That and I practically fell in (totally manly) love with the inn keeper at the Prancing Pony, a character that perfectly sums up the humanity and pacifism that Tolkien’s work builds on, in the moment he gave his short appearance.


Micaela The reason why I like LotR is Marry and Pippin they make the book so much fun. Well mianly Pippin


message 5: by Jason (last edited Feb 06, 2012 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason Brown I think some books are truly masterpieces - so much so when you read them they drain your brain because of the amazing quality of how vivid the writing and description of the worlds they feature are. The Lord of the Rings, War and Peace and 1984 are the only books that do that for me.

Simply wonderful.


Mark For me, the characters who really interested me most were Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. I felt like there was so much more to either of them and we only learned a small portion.


Danielle There are so many great things about these books! So many grand adventures. I could pick them up and read them anytime to visit my friends.


Ipek I like the idea that even the worst times there are someone who supports you without expecting anything return.and the idea that indicates our physical appearance doesn't show anything like we are strong or not.The real power is in us,our hearts.


message 9: by Michaela (new)

Michaela That's too hard. too many reasons lol :D


Annemarie Donahue I think I'm a hobbit.. or at least descended from hobbits.. or at least that's what my students tell me! :)


Peter Several reasons; not least of which is that I never get bored of reading it and, once I start reading it I just can't put it down even after 4 0r 5 reads.The dialogue between different races is superb, each carrying it's own distinctive voice and character and the descriptive prose is occasionally quite beautiful...oh and smeagul... and the Ents etc.etc...


message 12: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose I'm with you Annemarie! I think I am a descendant as well. I have an uncle that strangely resembles Samwise.... I think the reason that I love this story is that there is such a depth to his writing. You can't get all the meaning in the first, second, third reading! I can also really relate to the characters, especially the men and the hobbits in the story. Good dose of humor in the midst of an epic as well!


Rosun Rajkumar Fantasy! I got no idea how anyone could have come up with all the characters and places but I loved it. It's magical and takes you to an altogether different world.


Peter Rosun wrote: "Fantasy! I got no idea how anyone could have come up with all the characters and places but I loved it. It's magical and takes you to an altogether different world."

He was a university lecturer in ancient European languages and literature. I believe that he used his knowledge of old legends, myths and languages combined with places from his childhood, like Sarehole Mill in Birmingham, to fire his imagination...and like you say, what an imagination!


Annemarie Donahue Rose wrote: "I'm with you Annemarie! I think I am a descendant as well. I have an uncle that strangely resembles Samwise.... I think the reason that I love this story is that there is such a depth to his writin..."

Rock on!


Brandon Many things but mainly Smeagol/Gollum.


Kevin O Gandalf. Hes just so wise and great.


message 18: by JB (new) - rated it 4 stars

JB Rowley Rosun wrote: "Fantasy! I got no idea how anyone could have come up with all the characters and places but I loved it. It's magical and takes you to an altogether different world."

Yes, that's what it was for me, too. Pure escapism.JB:-)


message 19: by Anna (last edited Mar 27, 2012 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna LaForge Every time I re-read LOTR I'm struck by the cycle being described--the transition from the Age of the Elves to The Age of Man--and the resulting deep sadness of the Elves. Tolkien invites us to glory in the hobbits, their energy, bravery, and joy of life, but he never lets us forget that unlike elves, hobbits and humans are mortal. Even if Aragon is as long-lived as his fore bearers, he will eventually die, leaving Arwen to wander Middle Earth forever alone, the last of her kind. That is the kind of depth of detail everyone on this thread is responding to. Every action of every character in the book has HUGE consequences. Which is why it is my favorite fantasy book, now and always.


message 20: by Nathaniel (last edited Mar 27, 2012 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nathaniel Bertram Rosun wrote: "Fantasy! I got no idea how anyone could have come up with all the characters and places but I loved it. It's magical and takes you to an altogether different world."

A lot of it was inspired by traditional European folklore, mostly regarding the land Faerie. If you read Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories" he talks a lot about the history of myth and how it relates to his world. It's quite fascinating. You can find it published in the book "Tree and Leaf".


message 21: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna LaForge Nathaniel wrote: You can find it published in the book "Tree and Leaf".

Thanks so much for this information, Nathaniel. I just ordered a copy.


Rumo2197 My top reason would have to be my daughter. She is 3 years old and loves the movies, she is allways running through the house yelling i want to watch princess arwen daddy.I have allways planed on teaching her to read out of the hobbit, and i hope to share my love of reading thru the Lotr with my daughter.


Priya My top reason is that i like a Hobbit's life. I love drinking ale, smoking longbottom leaf by the brook after a hard day's work, "adventures are nasty things, make us late for dinner" sort of life!! Shire is my place and I wanna be in it. At the same time, the fact that an adventure of this magnitude hits such gullible folk and their gullible nature becomes such a weapon against Sauron - just keeps fascinating me each time I read it!!


message 24: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Bursztynski I agree about the Hobbit life, though I suspect I'd be happier in the artist colony of Rivendell, browsing through the library and handcrafting, cooking,etc. But what I really live is the idea that ordinary people - like Hobbits - can be heroes.


message 25: by Alok (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alok Gollum!!


Martin Lake I love it because it combines the epic with the ordinary. It's a saga for Everyperson or Everyhobbit.


message 27: by JB (new) - rated it 4 stars

JB Rowley Priya wrote: "My top reason is that i like a Hobbit's life. I love drinking ale, smoking longbottom leaf by the brook after a hard day's work, "adventures are nasty things, make us late for dinner" sort of life!..."

Yes, there's definitely an element of that. It sure sounds like a nice life! JB :-)


Roger The first time I read LOTR, I idolized Strider - so cool, mysterious, confident. never mastered his ability to move noislessly through the woods, though.

Now I appreciate the deep level of reality. The invented languages that shift over the centuries, and the endless backstory. I just read an article analyzing the legal institutions in the Shire. Incredible! I could go on and on, but I'll stop now.


message 29: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Pearl Mine would be that it is written with passion, depth, and clarity. It isn't a clarity based on blood and sex either. It focuses on human struggles and puts those manifestations often times in a physical description to help give us understanding. It was not by chance that the smallest of fellows in the form of a hobbit turned out to be the bravest and strongest of all. How often has each of us felt to small in our own lives and overwhelmed by the size of the obstacle before us?


message 30: by Victoria (last edited Apr 30, 2012 10:31PM) (new) - added it

Victoria I avoided LOTR for years. I was not a fantasy lover and had no interest. Then I watched the first movie and there was no way I was waiting for the second. I picked up the trilogy the next day and devoured all three in two days. The depth of writing was absolutely astounding. My favourite thing about it though is the symbolism.


Brett The incredibly powerful expression of brotherly love; the dedication shown by Sam to his close friend Frodo when all else falls apart is INSPIRING to anyone with a heart...LOVE IT!


Priya Victoria wrote: "I avoided LOTR for years. I was not a fantasy lover and had no interest. Then I watched the first movie and there was no way I was waiting for the second. I picked up the trilogy the next day and d..."

All 3 in 2 days!!? Wow you must be a super fast reader.


message 33: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria I read about 1000 words/minute in paper form comfortably, with high retention. LOTR would have taken a little over that as there were parts to stop and ponder on. My reader has slowed me down now. Sigh.:(


Gregg The main reason I love Lord of the Rings so much is that the characters are truly pitted against unspeakable odds, but know that their cause is worth fighting for, even if they were to fail. It inspires me deeply.


message 35: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed 1. characters
2. landscapes
3. writing

I also think the books are SO much better than the movies. Here's why: http://bit.ly/ORlIAq


message 36: by JB (new) - rated it 4 stars

JB Rowley Books are a different experience to movies. I am often disappointed when I see a movie after having read the book but in the case of Lord of the Rings I was pleasantly surprised.


Martin Lake I like it because he is unashamed to write about mythic elements; good, evil and heroism. And it's a cracking story. I also read it when I was only 14 (read it 20 plus times since)so it fired my imagination.

I also thought the films were very good, extremely true to my reading of it and falling short only when the writers ignored Tolkien by making both Aragorn and Elrond too much like frail humans.


Sumukh Naik LOTR inspires and urges us to believe in ourselves no matter how difficult the situation seems. It challenges the forces of hope and courage in us. And that my friends, is something very beautiful.


Samuel Medina In a word, Mythopeia!

Tolkien's ability to put together such a detailed world is ultimately what breathes life into his characters... LOTR is what inspired me to be a writer :)


Rosun Rajkumar Nathaniel wrote: "Rosun wrote: "Fantasy! I got no idea how anyone could have come up with all the characters and places but I loved it. It's magical and takes you to an altogether different world."

A lot of it was ..."


Thank you, I will definitely check this.


message 41: by Tim (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim My favorite reason for loving TLOTR is the overall fantasy of the old spirits and beings in the earth in times long past. The overall mythology, good vs evil, major wars fought over large differences or small slights. It is beyond amazing to me how Tolkein put together the back stories, languages, and all the other details and made them come to life, not only in his mind but in the minds of millions of readers.

Tim


message 42: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Mark wrote: "For me, the characters who really interested me most were Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. I felt like there was so much more to either of them and we only learned a small portion."

Those are two of my very favorite characters too, Mark. The first time I sat the movie version, I was incensed that they had been omitted.

Tim


message 43: by Lótë (Iris) (new)

Lótë (Iris) Probably the characters. They make the magic of Middle-earth a little more splendid.


Laura-Louise Slattery The main reasons why I love LOTR is the whole setting of Middle-Earth & the how much the characters grow throughout the story. There's no other story like this & JRR Tolkien wrote it so well.
Looking forward to the next Hobbit movie!


Hold_My_Heart (Formerly Narnian525) Lótë (Iris) wrote: "Probably the characters. They make the magic of Middle-earth a little more splendid."

Agreed.


Elentarri The world building and background "stuff" - if that makes any sense. The depth of it and the details.


message 47: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Tanner The hope that the earth can be what it is meant to be, even if it's just middle earth.


message 48: by Grant (new)

Grant Masson Sohail Keegan wrote: "So, question is this: What is the TOP reason you like LOTR?

Mine is just one: Frodo Baggins fails the quest assigned him. He is seduced by the power of the Ring, and very nearly causes the destruc..."


To me it is because of the theme of good VS evil and how his timeless books mirror what is happening in society even today. We are introduced to the ring of power, "the one" that controls everything and to me there is clear evidence of reference to our modern history with the arms race and the one country that will come out on top with the ultimate weapon so to speak. It is almost as if Tolkien had a crystal ball when he was writing these books and could peer into the future when it came to the nature of conflict. To me the similarities are uncanny! Plus, the books are written in a way that just suck you in to the characters where you can almost spend all day and night reading to see what happens next. The books are so much better than the movies and leave so much to imagination as you are navigating the challenges of Middle Earth!


message 49: by Pamela (last edited Feb 06, 2014 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela Because it took me to that world. It struck my imagining mind. Another signpost showing me the way. It took me wandering to know I wasn't lost.


Nefeli i like it so much because it makes you think this world really exists and it travels your mind. it's a real masterpiece.


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

The Lord of the Rings (other topics)