Village Bookians discussion

First books of 2012

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hope (Rachael1013) | 2 comments Hi everyone! I just joined the group and thought I'd start a discussion.

What will be the first book of 2012 for you?

I just started reading The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas, and am enjoying it so far.

Rachael

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephdethlefs) | 1 comments I just started One Thousand White Women, by Jim Fergus. A Christmas gift and probably not one I would have picked up, but so far so good!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure what my first book will be. Need to finish up my current one (Wildwood) before 1/1/12!

message 4: by Dina (new)

Dina | 2 comments I am reading Slaughter-House-Five right now and hoping to start The Tiger's Wife by the new year.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

My friend at Harper gave me a copy of the new Richard Ford, Canada, so that may be my first read of the new year.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Arcadia by Lauren Groff - comes out March 2012, i'll let you know how it is...

message 7: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (Thera1) I'm reading "killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly. Super fantastic. I love Bill O'Reilly.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1 comments I am reading Howard Hughes: The Untold Story. I am excited to find out more about what made him the way he was.

message 9: by Kacie (new)

Kacie Rahm (KacieRahm) | 3 comments I'm going to read "Wither" by Lauren DeStefano

message 10: by Gary (last edited Jan 02, 2012 12:01AM) (new)

Gary Burlingame | 1 comments Rachael wrote: "What will be the first book of 2012 for you?"

Since I just finished Island Dawn by Bellingham author R L Pace I'll start his second book, Rising Son.
I loved Island Dawn.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara | 12 comments I'm reading Neil Gaiman's M is for Magic. Does it count for 2012 if I started it in December? :)

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Short (jennlshort) | 7 comments I got the new Ann Rule book for Christmas, and just started it yesterday. I didn't purposely wait until the first, but I guess it's officially my first book of 2012!

Here's to a new year reading a lot of great books!

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments I'm reading Generosity by Richard Powers, recommended by a VB co-worker back a while. I bought it at the New Years Day sale at my local store, Riverwalk Books.

message 14: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 1 comments I started Dry Store Room No. 1 by Richard Fortey. So far pretty neat look behind the scenes of a the British Museum of Natural History.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This is such a great start for 12/12/12! Thanks everyone!

message 16: by Kacie (new)

Kacie Rahm (KacieRahm) | 3 comments Jen - I'm from Chelan! I love Riverwalk Books!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "I'm reading Neil Gaiman's M is for Magic. Does it count for 2012 if I started it in December? :)"
I sure HOPE so! I started Dickens' THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD on Christmas Day. (I figured I needed a head start.) This is my very 1st Dickens & I'm LOVING IT. I keep laughing out loud. Although, when I read what made me laugh aloud to those around me, they give me puzzled looks & say, "What's so bleedin' funny about that?" Trust me, he's hiLARious. You just have to be there.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

message 19: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Fuller (kyle_fuller) | 1 comments I'm about twenty pages away from finishing "The Night Circus," and next up is "Wildwood" !!!!

message 20: by Ross (new)

Ross (rcbaker) | 6 comments I am reading "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan and then "The Keeper of Lost Causes" by Jussi Adler-Olsen. Hoping to read "The Art of Fielding" when I can find a copy!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Think of this as the anything goes book group. If you started a book in December and you're still reading it in January, then make it your January pick. Stress-free reading is the goal here.

message 22: by Roy (new)

Roy Burstiner (Painterroy) | 1 comments Right now reading Clive Cussler's "The Chase" the first of the Issac Bell series. great story of a turn of the century detective hunting down a murderous bank robber. Great action adventure book.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

How is everyone doing with their January read? I'm about 200 pages into Cutting for Stone and thus far am really enjoying it, although some of the in-depth medical descriptions make my body ache (I guess that means they're good!) The writing really is incredible. Some of the sentences astound me!

message 24: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (Krizyreads) | 1 comments I just finished Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian. I'm an audiobook listener and it was read by one of my faves - Mark Bramhall.

message 25: by Brendan (last edited Feb 23, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Brendan (BrendanSClark) | 10 comments I read Lord of the Flies (my old faithful) a couple weeks ago, but what I'm really sinking my teeth into this month is Iago by David Snodin. It's essentially a sequel to Shakespeare's Othello that reads almost like an episode of Law and Order. Loving it so far!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished the Richard Ford, CANADA. Thought it was wonderful. He is such an amazing writer and it's been quite awhile since his last book.

message 27: by Janai (new)

Janai Symons (JanaiSymons) | 21 comments Glow is definitely the best book I have read so far in 2012. Think Hunger Games and Lord of the Flies meet Battlestar Galactica.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (other topics)
Lord of the Flies (other topics)
Iago (other topics)