Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) Clockwork Prince discussion

Jem and Tessa Engaged? Your opinion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 700) (700 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Finnicklover Ball What is your opinion about them being engaged?!

Ok personally I am over the moon that they are engaged because I believe they would make the perfect couple! Looking through other discussions I have heard so many people say that Will and Tessa are meant to be.

I do feel sorry for Will finding out that they are engaged in that way.

But think about it if it was the opposite way around and Will and Tessa were getting engaged?
How would you feel for Jem?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

ahh. i just started a discussion on this too. it's under "James...(spoiler alert)

Jennifer I'm over the moon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Emily (Falling for YA) I am so happy for Tessa and Jem! I have loved Jem so much since the first book all of his struggles with the illness, and everything! He deserves this small happiness with Tessa.

I am always so afraid Cassie Clare is going to kill him off. I was on edge all of Clockwork Prince freaking out that he would die on the next page.

Tyler I think that the engagement was randomly thrown in there and premature. i know she didn't know about Will's true story but she still loves him. She took pitty on Jem in my opinion and just said yes knowing she still loved both boys. She needed to freakin take her time and understand both guys before making a permanant decision like that.

Elena Definitely not over the moon abou that! The engagement came out of nowhere, and I absolutely don't like it.
Plus Tessa clearly feels something for Will, something that's stronger than what she feels for Jem. So whether she said yes or no doesn't matter really, because this is going to fail.

Jessica I was so happy for Tessa and Jem,but I still felt bad for Will.

Steffi I'm happy for Jem because he deserves this luck. But I would like Tessa to be with Will. But that she turned Will down after she was engaged to Jem, was the right thing to do. I don't think Jem could hava taken it.

Carly I feel bad for Jem! Tessas confused obviously! So shes not completely there. Not to mention poor will!!! First is blood brother gets engaged to the girl he's in love with, then his sister shows up! What next!

Fatimah I think it was WAY too quick. I mean, it honestly came out of NOWHERE. I love both Jem and Will, but I felt SO bad for Will when he found out. The ONLY reason he was away from Tessa was because he thought the curse would kill her. I still think that Tessa loves Will more than Jem. She 'loves' Jem, but she's 'in love' with Will. I don't know what will happen at the end of the series, but to be totally honest, I would prefer Tessa with Will. I WOULD feel sorry for Jem. Maybe Jem and Sophie could get together or something. You never know. We'll see what happens.

message 11: by Laerke (new) - added it

Laerke I was VERY surprised when Jem proposed to her and even more surprised when she said yes. But Jem deserves Tessa and even though I think Will and Tessa should be together, I also think that Jem should have this happiness. But I didn't like that Tessa, after saying yes to Jem, had to keep saying to herself that she loved him. She clearly had feelings for Will, too, so I'm not sure that getting married to Jem is the right thing. I'm a bit confused.

Fatimah I do think Jem deserves happiness, too. He shouldn't have to spend his last moments of life alone and depressed. It REALLY isn't fair to him.

I don't think she should get married to Jem. The reason why is because her feeling for Will are still very strong, and if she married Jem, she would feel-- still-- torn apart. Like I said, I think she loves Will more than Jem, but I hope she just doesn't dump him and go to Will. It wouldn't be fair, and it would break Jem's heart. The problem is I'm usually NEVER torn apart between two guys in a book. Usually by the first book I'm already on a team. Here I'm torn apart between them, and I can't imagine what Tessa feels.

The thing is, if Tessa marries Jem, I'll feel bad for Will. But if Tessa stays with Will, I'll feel bad for Jem. I'm so confused.

I hope Cassandra Clare makes some kind of twist that will make everyone happy.

georgia I am not happy about this fact. Erm... I believe that Will is the man for Tessa (and me). Jem is adorably and lovely and sweet... but not for Tessa. Will is fire and heat and flame and yes, rude!, but he loves Tessa and Tessa loves him. In the chapter when Will found out about Jem and Tessa, even Tessa says that she wanted to comfort him and she might love Jem but after she found out that Will loved her, she only said no to will because she didnt want to hurt jems feelings and destroy their friendship. so... i believe that she will end up with william not james.

Elena Plus Tessa is a reader. She's read books like Wuthering Heights, and what readers like that expect is adventure and adrenaline. She doesn't dream of living a quiet life with Jem.
Tessa? Nah.
She wants the thrill of being with someone like Will, and we all know that. ;D

Abigail Jones Tyler wrote: "I think that the engagement was randomly thrown in there and premature. i know she didn't know about Will's true story but she still loves him. She took pitty on Jem in my opinion and just said yes..."

I agree entirely. When she said yes, Clare didn't describe how much she was in love with Jem, but how sorry she felt for Jem looking at her with a hopeful expression on his face. Same for Will when he declared his love for her. Personally, although it makes me sad, I think she just needed to cool off and tell BOTH boys time-off. If she had then will wouldn't have been so 3. THEN AGAIN, maybe if she'd refused the engagement and will had come up to her, she would've said yes anyway...?
Anyway, I'm rambling ;)

Tyler Abigail wrote: "Tyler wrote: "I think that the engagement was randomly thrown in there and premature. i know she didn't know about Will's true story but she still loves him. She took pitty on Jem in my opinion and..."

Haha no its good to get opinions out for others to think on. It was way too RANDOM...

Shannon Hunter I think that it won't last, and that Jem will fall in love with Will's sister, and then Will and Tessa will be together.

Aa'Ishah I love Jem as a character, but I hate the idea of them getting married. My heart broke for Will. And I'm not convinced that Tessa is marrying Jem purely for love, it's more because she doesn't want to break his heart by saying no.

Tyler I posted my thoughts about their relationship in "What Happens To Tessa After Jem" if yall are interested in my theory.

message 20: by Finnicklover (new) - added it

Finnicklover Ball You all have to understand that it is set int he 1800's and marriage back then actually happened really quickly. It was basically if you had feelings for a person and you knew it felt right then marry them!

Fatimah I agree with Shannon. Or maybe he'll fall in love with Sophie :)

Elena Guys, we're all saying Jem could end up with Sophie, but in CP I clearly saw she now felt something for Gideon..?

Abigail Jones I think that for clockwork princess:

Will + Tessa
Sophie + Gideon
Cecily+ Gabriel (Or Jessamine + Gabriel, depending)
Magnus will crush on will
And I don't know about Jem, I just hope he doesn't die from the Opium, because there have been clues in the previous books that he will
AND THAT WOULD BE SO TRAGIC :'/

message 24: by Finnicklover (new) - added it

Finnicklover Ball Elena wrote: "Guys, we're all saying Jem could end up with Sophie, but in CP I clearly saw she now felt something for Gideon..?"

I know. Gideon and Sphie are going to get married! My opinion based on what is shown in the book!
I don't think James is going to run away with Cecily as she and Gabriel in my opinion are going to get together!

Elena Well, for what concerns Jem, the thing's pretty clear: either they find a cure, or he dies. Because eventually his sickness is gonna get worse and worse, there's no denying it.

message 26: by Finnicklover (new) - added it

Finnicklover Ball I think in Clockwork Princess Tessa will be between both guys- whether she will decide in the end I am not sure but I don't believe she would call off the engagement unless Jem is dead.

Abigail Jones I hope he DOESN'T die, although personally I like Will. Maybe if he just, I don't know, got sick and broke up with her, she can go love Will, and then he can ... recover again??
.....^ okay not likely. I guess I'll just have to deal with some heartbreak either way.

Natalie I think that it's important to remember that, as has been mentioned above, these characters live in a very different time period than we do. By our standards, yes, the engagement happened very quickly. But in Victorian England? Not so much.

Personally, I'm happy with the engagement. I can't, however, see it ending with Tessa and Jem getting married. I don't know why, and I don't know what will happen instead, but those two having a normal engagement followed by a normal wedding just doesn't seem plausible. At all.

message 29: by Era (new) - rated it 5 stars

Era Jem deserves better than Tessa. She's a confused person and I remember Magnus said something like, "It is better to live the truth than to live a lie." And we all know that Tessa is secretly crushing on Will. Jem deserves someone who loves him wholeheartedly and not just the half of what is left of love that Tessa has already given to Will.

Abigail Jones Natalie wrote: "I think that it's important to remember that, as has been mentioned above, these characters live in a very different time period than we do. By our standards, yes, the engagement happened very quic..."

I totally agree. It's just too simple a plot line for Cassandra Clare, I will be extremely surprised if Tessa and Jem do get married. I remember reading in the summery of Clockwork Princess that Jem gets extremely sick and that Tessa and Will and everyone have to go desperately seeking an opium cure to save him, so my opinion is that while Jem is very sick, he will break it off with Tessa being noble and wanting to give her a good life. I don't know if he will actually die or not, but I'm pretty sure that sometime around this point there will be a scene where Will and Tessa will be all over each other,and Jem will find out 3. *by summery, I mean, like, blurb :P*

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

my opinion is OMG SHE IS SUCH AN IDIOTI RHINK IT'S ONLY FRIENDSHIP SHE FEELS FOR JEM AND PROPER LOVE FOR WILL!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

message 32: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Chambers I do believe Tessa and Will are meant to be, but Will worked so hard to push Tessa away, it's only natural she should look for happiness with Jen, who she does love in her way. As for whether she made the right decision in the end, it might have been the right thing to do for Jen, but was it the right thing for Tessa herself?

Absolutely adored this book!

message 33: by Pip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pip Will is so, SO in love with Tessa, it practically jumps out the page at you, especially around the end of the book. It literally broke my heart when Tessa told Will about her and Jem's engagement. And when Tessa kissed Jem some time after they were engaged I remember her saying she was waiting for a fire that never came, that doesn't sound like true love to me, anyway.

So yes, I think Will and Tessa should be together. :( I know Jem is ill, but making him believe that she loves him is never going to end well.

Loulou i think the whole engagement thing was totally impulsive and slightly ridiculous considering jem's gonna be dead soon :/. and i mean that in the most sympathetic way :L. when i read it i was like 'WHAT THE HELL WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?'. and on tessa's part, well, she hadn't even figured out her feelings properly. when i was reading the bits with will i felt so sorry for him aww Dx throughout the bits at the end of the book i was just rocking backwards and forwards going 'oh no oh dear oh crap'.
IMPULSIVE TEENAGERS, honestly.

Loulou Tyler wrote: "I think that the engagement was randomly thrown in there and premature. i know she didn't know about Will's true story but she still loves him. She took pitty on Jem in my opinion and just said yes..."

YES, exactly! it's like, getting married at 16. Impulsive, much. I do think she loves both of them, but she loved Will when he still thought he was cursed and was rude to everyone etc. I feel sorry for both boys really.

message 36: by Finnicklover (new) - added it

Finnicklover Ball GUYS.
It was normal to get married at that age in the 1800's!

Evangelie I love Jem and is happy he's happy...but it seems like Tessa is settling for him. Since Will pushed her away she turned to Jem. She says she love Jem yet she is always comparing him to Will and it gets a little annoying. No?

Wendy I think that the engagement was just added to spice things up for the third book. I mean who wouldn't like a wedding with Will running or begging Tessa to not marry Jem? It will make things romantic and will really emphasize the true side of Will - since he was such a jerk in the first book! For those who are team Jem; well Jem is awsome, he's kind, sympathetic and really is sweet but to be honest Will is just like that - too kind that he prefers to give up the feeling of love than let others die. I am team Will but that doesn't mean that I hate Jem, and yes I hope Jem finds another love and Tessa realize that In her heart there has and always will be a Will! Ps, I am pretty sure that Will will have a child!

Wendy Melissa wrote: "Here is a statement from Cassie herself on tmblr:

"So first I would say: yes, all the Will/Tessa people seem convinced she will end up with Jem, and all the Jem/Tessa people convinced she will end..."

Very thoughtful opinions, this had totally changed my thoughts on the love triangle - can't wait for Clockwork Princess!

Elena I love the creativity and talent Cassie Clare has to give life to such beautiful and deep characters.

message 41: by Dannielle (last edited Jan 01, 2012 11:14PM) (new)

Dannielle Argh, Tessa does not have a blatant preference between the two boys. If she did, she wouldnt be in this predicament. She would have staved off flirting with one out of the two, once she realized she had more affection towards one over the other. though I'm 99% percent sure she STILL would have ended up with Jem because of Will's unfortunate but neccessary actions towards her.

But about the engagement, I'm happy for Jem... but I dont trust Tessa. She is very unstable and seems to be contolled by emotion. I just dont want Jem to one day waltz into the library and see his parabatai in a passionate embrace with his wife to be... that would just be dreadful.

Aycal Herondale no i can't believe it???? how can they be engaged? i am still in shock!
ok fine i admit jem is awesome and caring and all that but what about will? will is the one who she truly loves, her love for will is different.
tessa yearns for him even when she is next to will, and isn't it purely obvious that not even jem's love can fill her heart and make her forget him??

Abigail Jones Dannielle wrote: "Argh, Tessa does not have a blatant preference between the two boys. If she did, she wouldnt be in this predicament. She would have staved off flirting with one out of the two, once she realized sh..."

There is still a very tiny part of me that wants this to happen in CPrincess, just because it would be dramatic and interesting and romantic and finally everything about the love triangle would be out in the open........ but YES wowzers would it be heartbreaking.

message 44: by Dannielle (new)

Dannielle Abigail wrote: "Dannielle wrote: "Argh, Tessa does not have a blatant preference between the two boys. If she did, she wouldnt be in this predicament. She would have staved off flirting with one out of the two, on..."

I know exactly what you mean ;) in TMI when Clary walks in on Jace & 'Sebastians cousin' (her name is evading me right now) I thought that was the most interesting part of the entire story :) but for the sake of Jem... Idk :\

Emily its just sooo..... awesome but soooo saddening.... i love will and jem!!!! and im sooo happy thier engaged but AHHHHH i cant wait to read the scene when jem finds out that will loves tessa ( because thats soo going to happen)

Amber Carrier Ok so I am on the fence with this. Whilst I do love Jem my heart goes to Will. I actually feel very sorry for Jem that Tessa has accepted his proposal, just for the fact that if he opened up his eyes he would clearly see that Tess most definitely has feelings for Will. Not saying Jem doesn't deserve happiness cause he does I just am very angry with Tessa for not even considering it for longer than 30 seconds. There are always consequences to every actions and hers has the potential to hurt not only Will but to devastate the shadowhunters if Jem chooses her over it all. I just think that this was way to soon and that the 3rd book is going to hold a lot of unnecessary heartbreak!!

Rachel Either way Jem or Will are gonna be upset :( I like Tessa with Will but I feel bad for Jem...

Adrienne Gahh I really want to like Jem, but I have a lot of difficulty because I want to see Tessa and Will together... which makes me dislike Jem.

Abigail Jones Dannielle wrote: "Abigail wrote: "Dannielle wrote: "Argh, Tessa does not have a blatant preference between the two boys. If she did, she wouldnt be in this predicament. She would have staved off flirting with one ou..."

yeah, I know, right? I think that in CoG that was probably the most entertaining and heartbreaking scene, and yet it was still really devistating. And it'll be even worse in Clockwork Princess because not only will Will and Tessa be upset, but Jem too, in a major way :/

message 50: by Finnicklover (new) - added it

Finnicklover Ball I actually wanted Will to walk in on James proposing to Tessa.
I know sounds mean but I Wanted to see his expression!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Clockwork Prince (other topics)
City of Lost Souls (other topics)