Mock Printz 2017 discussion

Mock Printz 2012 > And The 2012 Winner Is...

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments We are in the final weeks. The committee is making their choices. Have we read the winner? Have we missed the boat? Discuss.

message 2: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 22 comments Has anybody here talked about PREGNANT PAUSE by Han Nolan? I haven't heard much about it anywhere else, but it's my personal favorite YA novel of the year.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tlweikel) | 8 comments Holly Goldberg Sloan's I'LL BE THERE has been my favorite YA read so far, but it's probably not high-concept/literary enough to make the Printz radar. However, I was a bit shocked it didn't get a Morris nod.

message 4: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 22 comments I liked that one a lot, too, and agree that I would have loved to see it on the Morris shortlist.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments What about Blood Red Road??

message 6: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 22 comments I liked BLOOD RED ROAD, but it's definitely not one of my favorites of the year...

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne (Librarianguish) | 16 comments Did anybody else read ROTTERS by Daniel Kraus? It was my favorite YA of the year, and I believe it holds up for literary merit - definitely a contender in my mind!

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Wusterbarth Brown (SandyWB) | 6 comments My favorite is still Between Shades of Gray. I've had several students read it and they have really enjoyed it. They were surprised that they liked a historical fiction novel so well. Do you think historical fiction stands a chance with the Printz Committee?

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) | 70 comments The more I read and the more I hear others opinions, I really have no idea what's going to pop up on the official list! I think Chime, Between Shades of Gray, and A Monster Calls may be the strongest contenders, though the latter is definitely on the fence in terms of age range.

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tlweikel) | 8 comments Whitney wrote: "The more I read and the more I hear others opinions, I really have no idea what's going to pop up on the official list! I think Chime, Between Shades of Gray, and A Monster Calls may be the stronge..."

I read and liked all of these. Of the three, A MONSTER CALLS was definitely the favorite. I had some issues with the abrupt ending and epilogue of Between Shades of Gray, and thought the "twist" in Chime was obvious too early. But the writing was fantastic in all three.

message 11: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Reeves | 5 comments A MONSTER CALLS was the book that left the deepest impression on me!

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments Whitney wrote: "The more I read and the more I hear others opinions, I really have no idea what's going to pop up on the official list! I think Chime, Between Shades of Gray, and A Monster Calls may be the stronge..."
I'm having a hard time choosing myself. I wonder if it'll be a book under the radar this year?

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments What are your thoughts on Everybody Sees the Ants? A.S. King took a Printz honor last year. Could she pull a John Green and take the Printz?

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina Williams | 5 comments I loved Between Shades of Gray. And I am in the middle of A Monster Calls, so I don't know what I think about that one yet!

message 16: by Franki (new)

Franki Sibberson | 13 comments My Favorites are CHIME, HOW TO SAVE A LIFE, SHINE and SCORPIO RACES.

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments Anne wrote: "Did anybody else read ROTTERS by Daniel Kraus? It was my favorite YA of the year, and I believe it holds up for literary merit - definitely a contender in my mind!"

I'm reading this right now. I agree it is really well written.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments Franki wrote: "My Favorites are CHIME, HOW TO SAVE A LIFE, SHINE and SCORPIO RACES."

I still need to read How to Save a Life!

message 19: by Franki (new)

Franki Sibberson | 13 comments On another note, I just finished John Green's new book yesterday. WOW! I know it isn't 2011, but has anyone else read it. This is always a weird reading time--finishing up 2011 before award announcements and moving to 2012 books.

message 20: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 22 comments Yeah, THE FAULT IN OUR STARS is excellent! I'm sure it'll be one of my favorite 2012 books, no matter what else comes out.

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary | 9 comments The Printz winner and honor books tend to be surprises. I am hoping for any of the following: A Monster Calls, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Everybody Sees the Ants, When Things Come Back, Anna Dressed in Blood and Life:An Exploded Diagram. All of them are well written and unique. The settings and characterizations are strong.

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments Franki wrote: "On another note, I just finished John Green's new book yesterday. WOW! I know it isn't 2011, but has anyone else read it. This is always a weird reading time--finishing up 2011 before award announ..."

I've put it up to be discussed next month! It's a must discuss!

message 23: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (Librandian) | 17 comments I'm really hoping to see Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Beauty Queens, Delirium, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children on the list...or at least one of them. :)

message 24: by Tracy (last edited Jan 17, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

Tracy (tlweikel) | 8 comments Has anyone read Jenny Downham's You Against Me? It's excellent, and I am surprised I haven't seen/read more about it! I also loved Mike Mullin's Ashfall. Oh, and I agree with Mary on Where Things Come Back. I can totally see that one as a Printz honor book.

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne (HeadfullofBooks) | 19 comments I have five favorites. I don't care which one is the winner and the the honor books but I will be disappointed if they are not on the list:
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness; Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey; Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor; Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys; and Blink and Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones

message 26: by Anne (new)

Anne (HeadfullofBooks) | 19 comments I also really like: Everybody Sees the Ants by AS King and Chime by Billingsley. But they are in my second tier.

message 27: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) | 70 comments The SLJ Mock Printz blog is holding a poll that's open until tomorrow: http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/printzblog/2012/01/17/predictions-or-time-to-vote/#more-803. It will be interesting to see what their results are! Also, don't forget to vote in our group poll!

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments Anne wrote: "I have five favorites. I don't care which one is the winner and the the honor books but I will be disappointed if they are not on the list:
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness; Jasper Jones by Craig S..."

Jasper Jones really got lost in the shuffle. I don't know if it was the release date or the previously pub in UK that pushed it down. Glad to see it on someone's list.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments Tracy wrote: "Has anyone read Jenny Downham's You Against Me? It's excellent, and I am surprised I haven't seen/read more about it! I also loved Mike Mullin's Ashfall. Oh, and I agree with Mary on Where Things C..."
Sounds like we may have a dark horse winner or honor book. Only 4 more days!

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 200 comments Mary wrote: "The Printz winner and honor books tend to be surprises. I am hoping for any of the following: A Monster Calls, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Everybody Sees the Ants, When Things Come Back, Anna Dress..."

With the exception of Nothing and Revolver - I haven't seen any surprises in the past 3 years. Last year was especially mainstream.

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) | 27 comments I thought Ship Breaker was the most 'mainstream' of last year's winners. I'd heard of Vera Dietz, but hadn't read it yet, and hadn't heard of Stolen, but Nothing and Revolver were both on the list for my local Mock Printz. I love how unpredictable the Printz feels - can't wait to see what wins!

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan (janchief) | 4 comments I loved Life: an Exploded Diagram, Miss Peregrine and Between Shades of Gray. Jan C., 2011 Michael Printz Committee.

PS... a little disclaimer...I haven't any inkling from 2012 as to what might be up for consideration. I'm totally out of the loop, but enjoying taking guesses on what might win. Can't wait for the awards to be announced!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Everybody Sees the Ants (other topics)
Across the Universe (other topics)
The Big Crunch (other topics)
Between Shades of Gray (other topics)
How to Save a Life (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

A.S. King (other topics)