The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) The Lord of the Rings discussion

The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 111) (111 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Selke It's so hard to choose between the two series because I love both of them so much but I think I would have to go with The Lord of the Rings.

Micaela What about The Hobbit because I would chose The Hobbit over both.

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad Selke Well I guess that could be an option as well haha. I kind of forgot about The Hobbit but that's a great one too!

April Lord of The Rings, hands down.

Rosun Rajkumar LOTR. There is a timelessness to it!

message 6: by Jaron (last edited Dec 26, 2011 04:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaron LOTR completely!!!one of the BEST books ever!!!

Charmaine No comparison! Lord of the Rings.

Vincent77f I'm a big fan of characters and character development. With Lord of the Rings I was left feeling that the characters were only there to showcase this awesome world Tolkein had developed. Through I'm really impressed with Tolkein as a creator, I would have to say I enjoyed the Harry Potter books much more. I read the Lord of the Rings series because I was on a three day buss ride and thought I should finally get to them. Once I started the Harry Potter series I couldn't put them down and often finished each book in a single reading session.

Anneth Pe Collantes i am also a big fan of these two books. Stunning and relentlessly imaginative!!

Nancy Adams I love both, and don't think I could choose one over the other. It's like asking a parent which is their favorite child. They're also quite different from one another. As Vincent points out, Harry Potter focuses more on character development, though that's not completely absent from LOTR. I just started re-reading LOTR and the hobbit foursome of the early chapters, innocent and carefree, undergo some pretty strenuous character testing that leaves each of them, especially Frodo, quite different by the end of the book.

I'm quite picky about fantasy, and IMO both these series are classics that can be read over and over. Love them both!

Bradley Comparing LOTR to harry potter is like comparing DaVinci's Mona Lisa to a cheap Andy Warhol rip-off!!

Trekscribbler Oh, please. There's no comparison here. LOTR is truly epic. POTTER is ... well ... it's just Potter.

*Kashi* The "Lord of the Rings" for me. we have Harry Potter thanks to Tolkien. but The Harry Potter series are great classics on their own. They should never be compared.

message 14: by J.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.M. Porup LOTR.

J.M. Porup
www.JMPorup.com

Chris Come on, really? Lord of the Rings over Potter. And red wine over Welch's Grape Juice, while we're at it.

message 16: by Skut (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skut L I'm a bit shocked that there's even contention that HP could be considered in the same league as LOTR, or any of Professor Tolkien's work.

LOTR is the best.Bar none.

message 17: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Trevelean Scott wrote: "I'm a bit shocked that there's even contention that HP could be considered in the same league as LOTR, or any of Professor Tolkien's work.

LOTR is the best.Bar none."

Could not agree more. One is a literary classic, the other a very successful work of commercial fiction. One could not exist without the influences of the other. Also the HP series has the dubious honour of making LOTR seem concise.

message 18: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Trevelean As a quick addendum - I'm considering starting the topic 'Dracula or Twilight' ;)

_abeeth Lord of The Rings, hands down.

I liked Potter too, but as a teenager. There is definite chance that I'll end up going through LOTR again sometime in the future, but I can't say the same for Potter.

message 20: by Re (last edited Jan 25, 2012 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re Jabarin it seems unfair to put TLOTR and Harry Potter in one sentence! they don't call J.R.R. Tolkien the writer of genius for nothing! Rowling is a storry teller while Tolkien is a myth maker. he wrote a flawless masterpiece that will take a resedent in our memories as long as we keep breathing. No words in elvish or english or even in the tongue of Mordor has the good enough descriptions that would serve this piece of art justice.

Sylvia Love them both, but to compare an epic tale like LOTR with HP is impossible. The two stories differ too much. Both are pure fantasy, Tolkien has created a mythical world which could have been real a long, long time ago.

Aliza lord of the rings, which i am very passionate about. Tolkien was a true genious. I love harry potter too but ultimatly when I look at Tolkiens books, my mind says: "Art in its purest form" oh, how I wish I was that skilled. I can only dream of meeting Tolkien. It is unfortunate that I read his books after he had already passed.

Aliza _abeeth wrote: "Lord of The Rings, hands down.

I liked Potter too, but as a teenager. There is definite chance that I'll end up going through LOTR again sometime in the future, but I can't say the same for Potter."

i couldn't agree more! Tolkien is my greatest inspiration and a true genious. I could rant on and on but like you said, there are no words in any languade that can describe the epicness of Tolkiens work.

Sherri Moorer The Lord of the Rings. No contest.

Heather Crabbe The Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece; Tolkien has inspired generations of writers. The world he has created is epic, the characters compelling, the breadth and scope of the project simply breathtaking and awesome, in the purest sense of the word. It is unfair to place the Harry Potter series, which began as literature for children, in the same category. Rowling's books are gems on their own, in their own place, but that place isn't even in the same galaxy as Tolkien's masterpiece.

Brandon I don't see the need to compare everything...

...especially when there is such an obvious winner.

Tolkien has created a masterpiece and such a textured and amazing world.
Not to put Rowling down. She is a great writer. She's just not Tolkien.

Cindy Bouchard Tolkien of course, but why should we have to choose? I have room in my heart (and my kindle) for both. :)

message 28: by Fernanda (new) - added it

Fernanda Bomtempo-Marzo LOTR no contest!

message 29: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Definitely Harry Potter, even though mostly everyone has said Lord of the Rings. I will read the Lord of the Rings series as soon as I can because it sounds very fantastic. Thanks for all the advice. Next read: Lord of the Rings 1, 2, 3.

Catherine Bennett Lord of the Rings. It is the epitome of fantasy and really put the desire in me to begin writing fiction.
http://catherinebennett.org/

message 31: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark LOTR for me always.

But kudos for the Harry Potter books that made a whole generation read books again, and made it look cool.

message 32: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Both are really unique, but there is no contest. The Lord of the Rings doesn't really deserve to be compared to Harry Potter. In fact, there are obvious Tolkien influences in the Harry Potter world. Old Man Willow and the Whomping (sp?) Willow. Dobby and Smeagol. Dumbledore and Gandalf. Very obvious similarites, although I'm not insinuating that Rowling stole these ideas. In fact, I found the Harry Potter series to be full of creative, new ideas. She's a very talented author, but, like others above me said, she's no Tolkien.

Namarie.

message 33: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick Without hesitation Lord of the Rings. Tolkien set a very high bar indeed.

Ginette Amen to that!

FertileSpade wrote: "Comparing LOTR to harry potter is like comparing DaVinci's Mona Lisa to a cheap Andy Warhol rip-off!!"

Heather Without Tolkien (who created a market for this genre in the 50s and 60s) what would current publishing look like. I vote for Tolkien as a master of the craft of writing and developing.
HP is fun and well written and it got lots of people reading, but not on the level of a comparison with Tolkien. The Hobbit and LOTR were envisioned initially as children's books and that says a lot about how writing and reading comprehension standards have changed since Tolkien's day.

message 36: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Lord of the Rings, I found the Harry Potter series somewhere between childish and oddly creepy.

Micaela How was Harry Potter creepy???

message 38: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary The entire story came across like a fantasy that a young sensitive bullied child would tell himself, that he was special and all the "muggles" were really hopelessly inferior to people like him. Try reading the book with the idea that perhaps all of it is the paranoid schizophrenic delusion of a young boy driven mad...

Patrick Lord of the Rings easily. It's much more mature and better written, while also being stronger in its themes.

Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer) It is like comparing apples and oranges. They are different and I love them both. I can not choose one over the other, any easier than I could choose between my children. Impossible!

Chris LOTR, it passes the "desert island reading list" test.

message 42: by Leo (last edited Jun 26, 2012 04:01AM) (new)

Leo Savannah wrote: "Definitely Harry Potter, even though mostly everyone has said Lord of the Rings. I will read the Lord of the Rings series as soon as I can because it sounds very fantastic. Thanks for all the advic..."

You can't choose which is better if you have not read one of the books. Read it, i am sure you'll love it. LOTR for me.

message 43: by Daan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daan I would say The Lord of the Rings. Although Harry Potter is a great series it can't top the perfection of Tolkien's world.

Chris Kyle wrote: "Both are really unique, but there is no contest. The Lord of the Rings doesn't really deserve to be compared to Harry Potter. In fact, there are obvious Tolkien influences in the Harry Potter world..."

Interesting when the two film series were overlapping and the similarities were even more obvious: as Kyle said, "Old Man Willow and the Whomping Willow. Dobby and Smeagol. Dumbledore and Gandalf." Then there were the trolls (in Philosopher's Stone and Fellowhip, the increasingly hunted look that Harry and Frodo shared, and the burden that each protagonist carried (Harry's connection with Voldemort; Frodo and the Ring) right through to the end.

But as for comparing them for their superiority of one over the other? FertileSpade's example of "DaVinci's Mona Lisa [and] a cheap Andy Warhol rip-off!!" seems a little harsh to me. I prefer Elizabeth's "It is like comparing apples and oranges ... I can not choose one over the other, any easier than I could choose between my children."

For me it's like comparing a recording of a great symphony with an album by a talented contemporary singer-songwriter. They're both music, aren't they? One came before the other so the more recent must be derivative, surely? The measured response would be that they are incomparable because they are in different though related genres. Tolkien is a supreme example of an epic fantasy writer who wrote for adults while appealing to the child in us, while Rowling is a supreme example of a fantasy writer for children who has succeeded in appealing to serious readers who appreciate her fun with language, her cross-plotting, and her drawing on classic folktales and motifs to create a series that, while not perfect, still repays re-reading as much as LOTR does.

message 45: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth I would have to say LOTR. Tolkien developed a complete language for the elves. Also, if you include The Simarillion the story spans centuries and contains a creation story. This whole series was flat out brilliant.

message 46: by Fadi (new)

Fadi Hattendorf They are very different. But Lord of the Rings for sure! Although, a part of it is loud and brutal.

message 47: by Brooke (last edited Jul 26, 2012 01:38PM) (new)

Brooke LOTR for sure!

Patrick wrote: "Lord of the Rings easily. It's much more mature and better written, while also being stronger in its themes."
I agree.

Chris It's much more mature
Of course it is! Harry Potter, like The Hobbit is aimed at youngsters, while LOTR is an adult version of The Hobbit

and better written
I don't think Rowling set out to write great literature, just to be entertaining, whereas LOTR is designed as part of a whole new mythology

while also being stronger in its themes
Not sure what you mean by this. Stronger?
These discussions have to come down to personal preferences, but comparisons based on value judgements like these can so easily descend to Punch & Judy level.

Peter No contest; Samwise Gamgee any day of the week.

message 50: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Lowe That's like asking asking which has better martial arts, Bruce Lee films or The Power Rangers. There is no contest. LOTR.

« previous 1 3