Fantasy and YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Good YA books to recommend

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) I finish reading the Hunger Games trilogy, already planning to start on the Uglies series and The Maze Runner, any other book to recommend?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy OMG, I have tons! What kinds of YA books do you like?

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 259 comments Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Blood Red Road (Dustlands, #1) by Moira Young Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Eden (Eden, #1) by Janelle Stalder

This based off the books you mention. But tell us hat kinds of books you like to read.

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) Amy wrote: "OMG, I have tons! What kinds of YA books do you like?"

Dystopian-ish books or adventure-type books

message 5: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) Terri ♥ wrote: "Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica RothBlood Red Road (Dustlands, #1) by Moira YoungBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverDelirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren OliverEden (Eden, #1) by Janelle Stalder

This based off the books you mention. But tel..."

Never heard of Eden though, seems like a good book, thanks

message 6: by Liliana, Too many books, too little time (last edited Dec 22, 2011 10:29PM) (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2110 comments Mod
Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus (sequel series to Percy), and the Kane Chronicles ( The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan) are all series by Rick Riordan and they have a ton of action! Its practically all action! Poor Percy and Carter almost never get a break, lol. Great books though!
I am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore is pretty actiony too..
I've read very few dystopian books...most of them were mentioned already. One that was not, however, was The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) Lιlιαnα ღ's Mythology wrote: "Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus (sequel series to Percy), and the Kane Chronicles (The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan[bookcover:The Red Py..."

I actually finished The Kane Chronicles, those books are amazing. Never had a chance to read The Heroes Of Olympus cause it's always out of stock in the bookstore. Is The Giver nice? Most of the readers rate it 1 star

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan (CoachMT) | 4 comments An older entry (YA wasn't really a classification then) but very good is Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card
It's science fiction, not dystopian, but good action and intrigue.

Diana (Mrs. Barrons) (dashichka) | 77 comments Loved Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth My recommendation to all

message 10: by Liliana, Too many books, too little time (last edited Dec 23, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2110 comments Mod
So you've read Percy Jackson then?? I love those books! Anyway, I read The Giver a while ago, but I really liked it. Their society was extremely odd, but I like it :) My 13-year-old brother just finished reading that book not that long ago and he said that he liked it as well.

message 11: by Amy (last edited Dec 23, 2011 02:13PM) (new)

Amy I love love Percy Jackson!

Here's some that I read that are great!
Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher

Sapphique (Incarceron, #2) by Catherine Fisher

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

Peeps (Peeps, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

I've read all of the Ender's game series as well. They aren't dystopian, sort of futuristic but definitely worth reading.

message 12: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) Lιlιαnα ღ's Mythology wrote: "So you've read Percy Jackson then?? I love those books! Anyway, I read The Giver a while ago, but I really liked it. Their society was extremely odd, but I like it :) My 13-year-old brother just fi..."

Yea, love it too. Well it doesn't hurt to try, will try it soon, thanks :)

message 13: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) Amy wrote: "I love love Percy Jackson!

Here's some that I read that are great!
Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher

Sapphique (Incarceron, #2) by Catherine Fisher

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

Peeps (Peeps, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

I'v..."

Those books seems so interesting, added to book list, thanks :)

message 14: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) Diana wrote: "Loved Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth My recommendation to all"

Wow, kinda like The Hunger Games, my friends are like raving about it -.- I already made a plan to buy this already, but thanks anyway

message 15: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Goh (joshuaissocoollike) Alan wrote: "An older entry (YA wasn't really a classification then) but very good is Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card
It's science fiction, not dystopian, but good action and intrigue."

MY COUSIN HAVE THIS BOOK, he recommended it to me too but I didn't bother to take it, going to borrow from him, thanks :)

message 16: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Bear | 2 comments BEST new book/series in a very long time, I absolutely LOVED it!!!

I HIGHLY recommend, believe me you will LOVE this book/series!!!!

Essence by A.L. Waddington

message 17: by Kris (new)

Kris (marketing_gurl) | 21 comments A few of my faves:
Enchantment by Charlotte Abel Enchantment by Charlotte Abel

Beg for Mercy (Cambion, #1) by Shannon Dermott Beg for Mercy by Shannon Dermott

Meeting Destiny (Destiny #1) by Nancy Straight Meeting Destiny by Nancy Straight

I'm also about half way through Eternal Eden by Nicole Williams and am really enjoying it!
Eternal Eden (Eden Trilogy #1) by Nicole  Williams

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm reading The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff which is also pretty good.

message 19: by Natshane, One simply does not hate books... (new)

Natshane | 1971 comments Mod
All great books!

message 20: by AriaTheBookNerd (new)

AriaTheBookNerd (ariathenerd) I highly recommend Die For Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum Darker Still (Magic Most Foul, #1) by Leanna Renee Hieber Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare.

For contemporary Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma and But I Love Him by Amanda Grace

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy Loved Die For Me.

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Fischer | 11 comments Really enjoyed The Dark and Hollow places!

Hope those who love YA urban fantasy and Greek mythology will check out Pandora's Key - it just got a great review from Kirkus:-)

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (NicoleCet) | 5 comments Neophyte by Emmalee Aple

Addisyn White thought she had her new life, her after life, all figured out. Granted death had not brought her to the pearly white gates, she hadn’t even left Earth. But death had its perks; she got to live forever with her best friend and her assigned Link of Angels, in a beautiful beach house. Even with the changes she was going through to turn her human body into an angelic one, everything seemed pretty easy. Until a gray winged angel comes into her life, then all the secrets and lies her Link had been keeping start crumbling away, exposing a whole new world of dangers she didn’t even know about.

Now Addisyn must fill in the blanks before things escalate too far. Will she save her Link? Or will she be buried in their secrets forever?

message 26: by Amy (new)

message 28: by S.L.J. (new)

S.L.J. (SammySLJ) | 9 comments The Tomorrow series. The first ones already been made into a movie. Trailer below.

Tomorrow, when the war began

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Newman | 4 comments The Doorknob Society by M.J. FletcherI just finished it and loved it. Exciting and fast paced, a heck of a good reaad. Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1-3) by Rick Riordan Are also good adventure books though they skew a little young at first.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy Lignor (httpwwwgoodreadscomalignor) | 19 comments I am so honored. Another YA site has given Until Next Time a stunning review!
“I couldn't put it down, and just kept telling myself just one more chapter then I'll go to bed.”
http://littlelibrarymuse.blogspot.com...
Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1) by Amy  Lignor

message 31: by Emmalee (new)

Emmalee Aple (EmmaleeAple) Neophyte by Emmalee Aple has been getting great reviews!

"Although I'm only about half way through the book, I'm sucked in! If I wouldn't get caught, I'd be reading it at work!"

"The story line absolutely engulfed me. Really well done by this new writer. I look forward to the next book....please hurry!"

Check it out! :)

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Therrien | 7 comments Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1) by Jessica Therrien is the #5 best-selling NOOK book for teens on B&N. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?view=...

message 33: by Holly (new)

Holly (Holly0126) | 5 comments working on this coming summers reading list. some of my favorites included, some of my favourites are Divergent, The Hunger Games, Blood Red Road, Dilerium and The Maze Runner series. Please help me add some dystopian titles to this summers beach adventures :)

message 34: by Sherbie (new)

Sherbie (herpassion) | 15 comments Jessica wrote: "Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1) by Jessica Therrien is the #5 best-selling NOOK book for teens on B&N. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?view=..."

Thanks, that looks interesting. I put it under my TBR pile shelf

Im currently reading
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. It's story is just so special and on the same time, relatable.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Therrien | 7 comments Sherbie wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1) by Jessica Therrien is the #5 best-selling NOOK book for teens on B&N. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?view=..."

Thanks, that looks..."

Thanks so much! I hope you like it :) It's only $.99 on NOOK and Kindle right now, btw.

message 36: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) Feathermore (Feathermore #1) by Lucy Swing

just read this for the author great ya novel.

message 37: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 5 comments Just finished LIGHTMASTERS and LOVED it! Lightmasters  Number 13 by M.G. Wells

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel822) | 17 comments just finished ARTICLE 5 - GREAT book!!

BTW . . . where are the March monthly read books? it's not updated on the home page - just wondering?

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex (Alex242) | 8 comments How about:
Blood Red Road
The Calling

Theres some reviews here if your interested:
http://possessionofbooks.blogspot.com...

message 40: by Tahlia (new)

Tahlia Newland (tahliaN) | 6 comments Here's one you probably haven't heard of. Think of a cross between Dr Seuess and Tolkien and you have Magnuis Opum by Jonathan Gould. It's delightful.Magnus Opum

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy Lignor (httpwwwgoodreadscomalignor) | 19 comments “When a novel has characters that stand out and have that special spark, a fantastic concept and imagery that you automatically associate with the novel, it becomes more then just a job, it is a cover artist’s dream come true!” Check out Emma’s Cover art giveaways and the story behind Emily…
http://the-angel-chronicles.blogspot....
Until Next Time

message 42: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 61 comments I just read Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins

WOW!

message 43: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Waddington (alwaddington) | 4 comments Essence by A.L. Waddington

The EVE series
YA Fiction

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 28, 2012 06:19PM) (new)

Strange Angels
Betrayals
Jealousy
Defiance
Reckoning

Loved this whole series!

Happy reading,

Sherry
Beautifully Broken

message 45: by Devon (new)

Devon (BooksandBeyond28) Hey everyone. I need your opinion. First i'm torn between reading Crank, Claire De Lune, and Cinder. Then I need to choose between The Hunt, The Selection, The Water Wars, and The Compund. The one with the most votes from each selection will be the one i will be reading. Please only pick from the ones listed. please help!! =)

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel822) | 17 comments DIE FOR ME & UNTIL I DIE . . . trilogy last book 2013

SWEET EVIL . . . Kaiden my new swoony fella!!

message 47: by Rogier (new)

Rogier (rorocapri) | 13 comments Devon wrote: "Hey everyone. I need your opinion. First i'm torn between reading Crank, Claire De Lune, and Cinder. Then I need to choose between The Hunt, The Selection, The Water Wars, and The Compund. The one ..."

cinder and the hunt

message 48: by Bettina (new)

Bettina I highly recommend these series, I enjoyed reading them so much:

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 14, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

Joshua wrote: "Lιlιαnα ღ's Mythology wrote: "Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus (sequel series to Percy), and the Kane Chronicles (The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan[book..."
Where did you see a 1 star rating for
[book:The Giver|3636]. It has a 4.11 rating here on Goodreads which is well deserved. Give it a try. The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry

message 50: by Joanna (new)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Delirium (other topics)
Blood Red Road (other topics)
Eden (other topics)
Before I Fall (other topics)
Divergent (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rick Riordan (other topics)