Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Book Challenges for 2012? (episode 160)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »

Louise | 198 comments I'm doing the Around the world in 52 books challenge, so I think I've got my hands full.
I also plan to read a Margaret Atwood book and maybe The Last Werewolf.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm doing:

The Mount TBR Challenge (starting at "Pike's Peak - 12 books); The What's In Name? Challenge #5 (6 books that have certain words in the title, i.e "A title that has a topographical element in the title); The Back to the Classics Challenge (9 different Classics with different qualifications i.e One title must be a 19th century Classic) and; The Audiobook Listening Challenge :-) In addition, the Yahoo! group I belong to sponsors mini-challenges and; I'm shooting for an overall goal of 144 titles next year. It all sounds like a lot, but many books actually cross over/qualify for more than one challenge.
My overal goal for participating in challenges is to manage my reading and get exposed to books (via the blogs) that I might not otherwise know of :-)

Shinke | 15 comments I did so badly on my challenges this year due to school I think I'll just go with the flow (apparently I read more books that way) and trudge through my Fill in the Gaps:100 Project Challenge. http://fillinthegaps100.blogspot.com/...

Gerald Miller | 484 comments I like the idea of reading 12 books for 2012 and keeping track by starting a books database.The most important thing for me is to stay away from the big book
challenge.W&P killed me last January.I would also like to read one book from authors I admire but have never read a complete book.Here goes! ger

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 304 comments I will add a reading goal of +12 from the Booktopia authors. Otherwise, I think I'll lower my book total to 50 because I will be reading The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer Bleak House by Charles Dickens& re-reading East of Eden by John Steinbeckwhich combined is over 2500 pages.

One sleepless night last week I created a Mind Map with books I'd like to read in 2012. It's really fun to look at, but a bit daunting.

So many books, so little time, such a small nightstand!

Robin (mcrobusaolcom) | 195 comments I am going to do The Back to the Classics Challenge for 2012. I had been thinking of reading more classics, (true confession: I have never read Jane Austin)and this challenge is a great structure to start,, I will also read 12 books for 2012 from my nightstand, or should I say nightfloor.

Frankie (thefranklynn) | 72 comments I'm going to be doing 2 challenges to get my 12 in '12... the What's in a Name? Challenge and the A to Z Challenge (both author names and titles). I did 50 in 2011, so between these challenges and a couple of random ones, I hope to hit 62. Yikes, I hope I can do that!

Eric Kibler | 1000 comments I'm going to read a book underwater.

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 304 comments Eric wrote: "I'm going to read a book underwater."

May I recommend Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter) by Gina Mayer.

My husband puts his Kindle in a ziplock and reads in water (pool or bath). I couldn't believe he was serious, but it's worked for over a year now.

Eric Kibler | 1000 comments I've done that in order to read and walk when the weather was iffy. If it rains, no problem!

Kats (Kathinka) | 131 comments Following Ann & Michael's suggestions regarding the 2012 reading challenge, I've had a think and come to the conclusion that I cannot simply add 12 books to my reading total, either. Next year I will have less time to read than this year (exceeded my goal of 50 books, an all time high for me), so I'm going with the idea of a variety of 12.

In summary, my 12 for '12 will be:

12 books from "home library"
12 books for book group
12 different genres
12 to go with the "what's in a name" reading challenge as per http://www.exurbanis.com/archives/4882
The TWELVE by Justin Cronin and other books with the word/number "Twelve" in the title (hopefully adding up to 12!)

Presumably, some reads will overlap between these different categories - I'm looking forward to seeing what's under the tree for me in terms of reading material tonight (Central Europe here - we exchange gifts on Xmas Eve).

Merry Christmas from Zurich where it's currently snowing sideways!!

Kats (Kathinka) | 131 comments Oh dear - completely forgot to add the most important one:

12 from Booktopia '12 authors!! :-))

Bring on Vermont - I'll finally be booking the flights when the December pay check has cleared next week! Yay!

Kevin (ManchesterUnited) | 56 comments Eric wrote: "I've done that in order to read and walk when the weather was iffy. If it rains, no problem!"

That is brilliant! I was picturing listening to an audiobook while scuba diving which, by the way, I would like to try. :)

Janet (JustJanet) | 588 comments Eric wrote: "I'm going to read a book underwater."

Believe it or not, there is a series of erotica books that are waterproof.

Eric Kibler | 1000 comments *Ed McMahon voice* -- Hey-Oh!

Linda | 1604 comments Mod
Janet wrote: "Eric wrote: "I'm going to read a book underwater."

Believe it or not, there is a series of erotica books that are waterproof."

And you would know this because…

Frankie (thefranklynn) | 72 comments Kats wrote: "Following Ann & Michael's suggestions regarding the 2012 reading challenge, I've had a think and come to the conclusion that I cannot simply add 12 books to my reading total, either. Next year I w..."

I love your approach - that sounds like a lot of fun! Happy reading

Chris Wolak (ChrisWolak) | 18 comments While listening to this episode I realized that I already had my 12 for 2012, or at least one 12 challenge: I'm hosting a Willa Cather Novel Reading Challenge on my blog throughout 2012 and she conveniently wrote 12 novels. If anyone would like join in, we're reading one of her novels each month in chronological order. Here's a link to the post: http://wildmoobooks.blogspot.com/2011...

Elizabeth i don't think i can read 12 more books than the 70 some odd books i read this year.

i think i am going to attempt a classic a month or at least twelve classics i haven't read.

some i'm considering:

Lolita
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Animal Farm
and East of Eden

Alondra I have 12 books to read for one group; challenge to read my first name; and this one. my overall challenge is 50 books, so i can definitely fit the 12 within that challenge. It will only be books on my current TBR, which has become ridiculous.

@ Elizabeth; I have animal farm on my list, which was recommended by my daughter. she read it for school, but actually ended up loving the book. :)

message 21: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 27, 2011 12:06PM) (new)

Elizabeth @alondra

i teach English and have never read this in my education nor my teaching career!

Alondra Elizabeth wrote: "@alonda

i teach English and have never read this in my education nor my teaching career!"

wow... then this ought to be fun :)

message 23: by L (new)

L | 47 comments I am doing the 12 in '12 challenge with the twelve books being among the oldest on my goodreads tbr list. There are a few amongst those that I am sad to say I have always meant to read, but never did. (Atonement for ex.)Some of the other ideas sound interesting, but I also want to read some of the series I have started, but never finished. That should keep my reading life in 2012 busy.

Dawn | 167 comments I'm going to be boring and make sure to read at least 12 books already waiting on my actual bookshelf - not my nookshelf.

Tracey (tracemick) | 205 comments For next year my challenge will be to read more books I currently own instead of buying more or going to the library. So I can kind of keep up with current releases, I will let myself read 1 new book or library book for every 5 "already own" books I read. Hopefully, this will decrease the amount of books I own and I can lend them out or donate them. We shall see. :)

Lori (Corgimom) | 1 comments I think I would like to do 12 books from my TBR pile. I should probably get more of my TBR pile listed rather than sitting in corners of my closet!

Becky Yamarik | 68 comments I have read Lolita, Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and Animal Farm. They are all great choices but The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is something truly special. Of the three I've read it's definitely the best! The main character who can't speak is so haunting, I still think about it. . . can't wait to hear what you think!

Janet (JustJanet) | 588 comments If you have any trouble with Lolita, I suggest that you check out the audio. The narration by Jeremy Irons is simply mesmerizing.

Sophie19 | 14 comments I am going to read 12 graphic novels in 2012. One a month should be doable. I am starting with Superman for all Seasons.

Mella DP (MellaDP) | 7 comments Simon Savidge (of Savidge Reads and The Readers Podcast) declared Reading Like it’s the End of the World, and I think I'm with him. 2011 was a rough one, and turning off all the "shoulds" in my reading for a while feels like a needed indulgence.

nancy (npjacoby) | 250 comments The 2011 challenge encouraged me to read more and I loved doing it..So I'm going to do the boring, predictable thing here..and try to
add 12 more books in 2012.
By the way, how do I find my 2011 results?...they used to be tracked on my home page. Are they still available to look at?

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 304 comments nancy wrote: "The 2011 challenge encouraged me to read more and I loved doing it..So I'm going to do the boring, predictable thing here..and try to
add 12 more books in 2012.
By the way, how do I find my 2011 re..."

If you go to My Books, there is a tab for stats and it should have everything there.

Lisa | 56 comments I finally decided on my 2012 challenge. Last year I read/listened to 80 books. This year my goal is 81 books that will consist of:

12 books already on my teetering nightstand
12 books that have been given to me/recommended to me
12 books recommended by Ann and Michael from the "2 books we can't wait for you to read" segment
12 books for the author retreat in Oxford

I am hoping that some of these 12 will overlap allowing me freedom to add random suggestions and other books I find throughout 2012.

I will attempt to categorize these books on my goodreads shelf with a "12 in 2012"

Michael (mkindness) | 476 comments Mod
Kats wrote: "The TWELVE by Justin Cronin"

Thanks for the reminder on that one Kats!

C. Scott Kippen (skippen) | 4 comments This year, I am going to go for 50 books in a year. I have my doubts it will happen as that is roughly a book a week, but I am going to try, and while I do it, I am going to blog about it. Wish me luck!

skippen.wordpress.com

nancy (npjacoby) | 250 comments Michael,
There seem to be three different discussions for the 2012 challenge. Would it be possible to combine them into one?

Marie Montondo | 4 comments Jana wrote: "Eric wrote: "I'm going to read a book underwater."

May I recommendJust Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter) by Gina Mayer.

My husband puts his Kindle in a ziplock and reads in water (pool or bath). I couldn't bel..."

How do you read and walk?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Skippen wrote: "This year, I am going to go for 50 books in a year. I have my doubts it will happen as that is roughly a book a week, but I am going to try, and while I do it, I am going to blog about it. Wish me luck!"

Good luck! I'll be reading your posts as they go up :-)

Eric Kibler | 1000 comments Marie wrote: "How do you read and walk? "

I don't know, but I can read, walk, AND chew gum.

Tasha Eric wrote: "Marie wrote: "How do you read and walk? "

I don't know, but I can read, walk, AND chew gum."

Hahaha!!

C. Scott Kippen (skippen) | 4 comments I tried to do what a lot of folks do, read a book while working out. I just can't do it. Too much movement going on there to even try reading and comprehending it.

Eric Kibler | 1000 comments That's what audiobooks are for.

Elizabeth A (Kisiwa) | 184 comments I read 135 books in 2011 - more than some years, less than others. 2012 is the 200th birthday celebration of Charles Dickens and in celebration, I plan to read a couple of his books that are on my TBR list. In particular, will start with Bleak House. Other than that my plan is to read 12 authors new to me and to continue to immerse myself in great reads. Happy reading.

Eric Kibler | 1000 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Bleak House"

Chicka-bow Chicka-bow Chicka-bow-bow

--oh, wait...that's BRICK House.

Quen Black | 4 comments My challenge for 2012 is to read 12 books that I own but haven't read.

Kaitlin Taylor (Kttaylor) | 4 comments I am also doing the 12 that I own but haven't read, specifically books that I get a woozy feeling when I look at them because I've been putting then off for so long. Also aiming for 50 books this year

Bobbi | 153 comments Eric wrote: "Marie wrote: "How do you read and walk? "

I don't know, but I can read, walk, AND chew gum."

It's true - I've seen Eric do it!!!

Lynsay Lambert (LynsayL) | 18 comments I reached my goal of 100 books last year (well, slightly exceeded it!!) I'm aiming to read 112 this year, but I want to include 12 classics, as there's a lot of them I haven't read!! I also want to try and read some of the Booktopia authors, as I won't be able to attend...

Tracy I love the idea of a challenge, it really inspires me to finish a goal! I think I will have to challenge myself to read 12 classics this year. Now, the biggest challenge.....which 12 to pick!!
Any thoughts on how to do this? !

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 123 comments I don't understand how one can read 100+ books in a year. Are these novellas or short stories? That's 2 per week!! (Makes me feel like such a slacker.) Do you remember what you've read?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bleak House (other topics)
The Invisible Bridge (other topics)
East of Eden (other topics)
Just Me in the Tub (other topics)
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (other topics)
More...