Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

2012 Reading Challenges?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annika (new)

Annika Now that 2011 is winding down, are there any reading challenges you are planning for 2012?

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 453 comments Mod
I'm definitely doing the 'reading around the world' 2012 edition. I really blew it this year! And a goal of 100 books.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Just my usual trying to read a respectable number of books, at which I failed miserably this year! That's really the only challenge that matters to me -- that and not wasting my time on sub-par books. There are too many I'm busting to read already, and more good ones are being released every time I turn around!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I might set a goal of trying to read 50 books this year. I set a goal for this year, but I am a bit shy of my planned number of books. I need to spend less time reading about books, and more time actually reading them.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) My goal for 2011 was 23 books, and I met it. I plan to set it to 25 for 2012. I'm no good at the "reading around the world" thing, so I'll skip that.

message 6: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 16 comments I'd love to set my goal at 75, but I'm going to try for 52 next year (a book a week). I have a spreadsheet filled with books I want to read (yes, I have issues), so my goal is to make it through those.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) | 146 comments Mod
I have to admit that I don't like challenges of any sort. If I sign up for a challenge, I immediately have signed myself up to fail. For some reason it's self-defeating. I would like to read more books in 2012 than I did this year because this year I read fewer than I've ever read in my life. I would also like to read some older books....some that I always planned to read, but didn't (Mark Halprin's Winter's Tale), some classics I haven't read (Victor Hugo's Les Miserables) and some books I've read before a long long time ago (John Dos Passos USA trilogy). There are also some biographies I want to read (Pulitzer, Janis Ian, Janis Joplin, Flannery O'Connor) and of course, food books (Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey - The Liquid Gold That Seduced the World).

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Kent | 95 comments In 2010 I set a goal to read 100 books. I think I read 103 or something. But I felt stressed out and rushed so I don't want to try that this year. That being said I like also have read less books than ever this year. It saddens me. I usually read a few a week and while I did have some good months I really averages a few a month. So I would like to just set a goal of reading more again or maybe one a week. I haven't lost my love of books. But just have not been in the mode.

message 9: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Dec 24, 2011 04:28AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) I have read 206 so far this year which equals the total of last year.

I am in a couple of on going challenges so will carry on with those next year. I want to try and make a real dent in my tbr list and empty my bookcases in my library so the books are not in front of each other!

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I would like to keep a reading/book journal in the spirit of Nick Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree. I tried this year but just stopped at some point.

Think it would help get more of the TBR that I own off my TBR list.

message 11: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) | 146 comments Mod
I like the idea of a reading journal, Gretchen. I kept one year's ago and forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me!

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments I've set my goal at 200 and I'm going to be finishing my around the world and state challenges and making a start on the UK Counties challenge. I'm sure I'll end up entering other ones too!

message 13: by Melki (new)

Melki Wow! I don't expect to finish my Around the World Challenge for at least two more years!

message 14: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 16 comments I'd like to try an A-Z author challenge this year. We'll see. I've tried it before, but haven't finished one yet. Maybe this year?

message 15: by Melki (new)

Melki I was doing an A-Z challenge in the UK group and haven't finished it yet. The choices are rather limited when you get to "X".

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Melki wrote: "I was doing an A-Z challenge in the UK group and haven't finished it yet. The choices are rather limited when you get to "X"."

That's where I'm stuck too Melki, and it's the last one I need to do too!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) Melki wrote: "I was doing an A-Z challenge in the UK group and haven't finished it yet. The choices are rather limited when you get to "X"."

I read Miss Chopsticks by Xinran I thought it very good.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz | 196 comments I plan to do the A-Z Author Challenge again this year after taking a break from it last year. However, having done it for 5-6 years I have given myself permission to feel like I've achieved it even if I don't find an "X". But I will certainly be checking to see what you come up with for that letter in case there's someone I haven't read. I read Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet by Xinran a few years ago which I really loved & probably wouldn't have discovered if it weren't for that challenge.

I will also try to do the Genre challenge again if I can find the list. It's probably time to get myself out of my comfort zone again.

message 19: by Melki (new)

Melki Xinran seems to be the go-to gal for the letter "X".

message 20: by Melki (new)

Melki Would anyone in this group like to do a genre challenge?

message 21: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Melki wrote: "Would anyone in this group like to do a genre challenge?"

Genre challenge?? I'm game I think.. How would it work?

message 22: by Melki (new)

Melki In the UK group, members vote on a genre for the month, then everyone reads a book of their choosing from that genre.

It could also be done as an individual challenge by making genre lists, then filling in the blanks as the books are read.

message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz | 196 comments Melki - I think we used the 2nd method in the past, but that 1st one sounds good too. I'll try it either way!

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather | 55 comments My goal is to read 100 books this year. I am off to a good start with four already completed as of January 11.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Melki,
I'll take the genre challenge if you moderate it.

message 26: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Melki I will also if you guide us along. :)

message 27: by Annika (new)

Annika I'll try it too:)

My reading goals for the year are to read 50 books (trying to be realistic) and to finish my many books that i've started and set aside for one reason or another.

message 28: by Melki (new)

Melki Aaaa! I can't take this pressure!

The way it works in the UK group is the moderator posts a poll featuring different genres - horror, westerns, biography, sci-fi, mystery, etc.
Members vote on the genre, then the challenge is to read at least one book from that genre during the given month. Members post the titles they've read - not everyone reads the same book. It's a good way to read outside your comfort zone, and of course, add tons more titles to your TBR list.

If you want to try this challenge, I can get a poll together and we can start in February. (Or March, if you like...)

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Melki wrote: "Aaaa! I can't take this pressure!

The way it works in the UK group is the moderator posts a poll featuring different genres - horror, westerns, biography, sci-fi, mystery, etc.
Members vote..."

It sounds like fun. I'm game.

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I like this idea, too. Count me in.

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz | 196 comments Sounds good to me!

message 32: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Jan 16, 2012 01:47AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) One more challenge won't hurt! I am doing some double ones with this group and the UK Bookclub one and personal challenge, I am sure some will also cross over! I have plenty to TBR to choose from too.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I'm sorry, but I'm going to opt out of the genre challenge. I have quite a few specific books in my mind to read, and that'll take up my whole year, I'm sure. I'll enjoy hearing what everyone else is reading as always, though.

message 34: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments I will agree with Mary's comments - I love to read and always look at the recommendations of this group - my favorite site. But, I will continue to just roll along and read what catches my eye.

message 35: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Mary and Andrea, maybe you both will just happen to read a book in the genre that has been chosen for a given month--then you can join in the discussion!

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments That could conceivably happen.

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments yes, as Mary says - that could happen (us Colorado people think alike.)

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments That we do, Andrea -- that we do.

message 39: by Annika (new)

Annika So now that we're towards the end of January - which genre are we reading next month?

message 40: by Melki (new)

Melki So far, it's looking like "classics".
I'll make an announcement, and set up a topic on the 30th.

message 41: by Annika (new)

Annika Thanks Melki!

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) That might be good. We could coordinate with Masterpiece Classic.

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Thanks Melki. I think it will be interesting to see what different readers think fits into each genre.

message 44: by Liz (new)

Liz | 196 comments Ok, when I get back from WA, I'll look for one. I've probably got something at home.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) I am two books ahead with 15 read so far.

message 46: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 453 comments Mod
WTG!!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) I have read 118 books so far this year - how is everyone doing?

message 48: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I've read 18 out of the 50 I've challenged myself to read. Seven behind :(. Should get one more done today or tomorrow.

message 49: by Annika (new)

Annika I've read 24 of the 50 I challenged myself to read. I'm one book behind. With how little I read during the school year, I'd better get cracking' to get ahead:)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) My challenge was 170 books this year as some were whoppers that I want to read. I am about 30 books ahead. I might have to up my total at this rate!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Polysyllabic Spree (other topics)
Miss Chopsticks (other topics)
Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nick Hornby (other topics)
Xinran (other topics)