Books on the Nightstand discussion

Book Specific Discussions > Books to Read in 2012

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ama Runs (new)

Ama Runs (ama_runs) | 17 comments Hi everyone! What book(s) are you most excited to read in 2012? (Any book, whether to be published in 2012 or not).

I'm excited to read The Twelve (sequel to Justin Cronin's The Passage) and Bitterblue (Final book in Kristin Cashore's Graceling trilogy). I am also looking forward to *finally* reading something by Haruki Murakami (probably 1Q84).

Anyone else?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You hit my top book, The Twelve! I'm also hoping Tana French comes out with a new book. It'll have been 2 years in July 2012 since her last book came out. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hopeful!

BTW, I've heard Bitterblue is great! I can't wait to read it. Long time in coming!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1865 comments Mod
My favorite mystery writer, Carol O'Connell is coming out with a new book The Chalk Garden.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Rohinton Mistry is rumored to have a new book coming in 2012. I will be stopping everything to read that one. It has been too long.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 21 comments I will race to the bookstore to get John Irving's new one coming out Mayish.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 523 comments Mod
I've already read a couple of books due in 2012 and I can say it's going to be a *good* reading year.

As for what I'm going to read in 2012, I've committed to:

Something by Faulkner (probably As I Lay Dying)
Great Expectations
Guards! Guards!
Rebecca

I'm sure there are other books I've committed to reading. I seem to do that a lot!

Like many of you, I can't wait to get my hands on The Twelve. Hopefully, there will be a manuscript soon!

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg (Geemont) I'm also hoping Tana French comes out with a new book. It'll have been 2 years in July 2012 since her last book came out.

Broken Harbour by Tana French is due March 29th 2012 in the UK and June 7 2012 for the US.

I'm going to order the UK edition from the Book Depository.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Afhockeychick82) | 11 comments I'm looking forward to these books!

The Mirage by Matt Ruff
American Dervish: A Novel by Ayad Akhtar
Pure by Julianna Baggott
A Good American by Alex George
The Lifespan of a Fact by John D'Agata
Birds of a Lesser Paradise: Stories by Megan Mayhew Bergman

message 9: by Janet (last edited Dec 22, 2011 12:04PM) (new)

Janet (JustJanet) | 704 comments I can't wait for Christopher Moore's Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore. I didn't care much for Fool by Christopher Moorebut I've loved all his other books.
Another one on my most wanted list is Trail of the Spellmans  Document #5 by Lisa Lutz
And as others have said Bitterblue (The Seven Kingdoms, #3) by Kristin Cashore...I think the delays in it's publication have made it more coveted.
Although they're not new releases,
I'll be reading more books in these series The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simonsand The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnellybut unfortunately Diana Gabaldon is not going to finish her next Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldonbook until 2013.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Ann and Michael come up with for us, both on the podcast and at the retreats.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren wrote: "I'm looking forward to these books!

The Mirage by Matt Ruff
American Dervish: A Novel by Ayad Akhtar
Pure by Julianna Baggott
A Good American by Alex George
The Lifespan of a Fact by Joh..."

I just finished an advance copy of American Dervish and it's really good.

message 11: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Ready to read 11/22/63; i was holding out for the new year, so don't slap me. Also ready to see where Inheritance is gonna take me; hopefully it wont tick me off! I am looking forward to my challenges in 2 other reading groups because i really have a great mix, and am stepping out of my horror-genre a little more. Ready to read Kafka on the Shore, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Book Thief, just to name a few of my TBRs :)

message 12: by Jay (new)

Jay Bullman | 128 comments I don't have any big books I'm anticipating but then again I rarely have a clue what is coming out until Anne, Michael or the folks at Bookrageous tell me.

message 13: by Mindi (new)

Mindi Rosser (MindiZone) | 3 comments I'm still tabulating my list of 2012 reads. Damned by Chuck Pahlaniuk and the Hunger Games Trilogy are at the top of my pile, though! :)

message 14: by Amy (last edited Dec 23, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Amy | 463 comments Thank you all for posting these. One of my personal challenges for 2012 is to read at least one new 2012 release a month, and this definitely helped fill up the first half of the year with possibilities!

message 15: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments Amy that's one of my goals too! :) More specifically, I want to read one a month that was published in that month. I don't really know much about upcoming releases though so I'm finding this thread helpful!

One book I'm really excited to read is We The Animals, which doesn't come out here until March.

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 177 comments Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 11/22/63 by Stephen King 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami What It is Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes East of Eden by John Steinbeck Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

I could go on and on and on ...

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 124 comments My To Read list goes on for several single-spaced pages. Every now and then I'll read a sample paragraph online to get a sense of an author's style; that helps me to pare down my choices a little. But GoodReads' new Personalized Recommendations feature has suggested dozens and dozens of titles I would never have thought of otherwise. Where to begin in 2012...?

I'm not sure about upcoming releases. Alan Bradley has announced the titles of his next two Flavia de Luce mysteries but not the publication dates: I'll certainly read those as soon as they're available. Likewise anything new from Terry Pratchett. My taste in fiction leans toward the 1930s and earlier, so perhaps I'll use 2012 fill in some of the gaps in my Edna Ferber, P.G. Wodehouse, Booth Tarkington, or Samuel Hopkins Adams shelves. In newish nonfiction I definitely want to read
Storyteller  The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl by Donald Sturrock Reading the Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine  American Literature and Culture, 1870-1893 by Mark J. Noonan Spencer Tracy  A Biography by James Curtis The Arsenic Century  How Victorian Britain was Poisoned at Home, Work, and Play by James C. Whorton Jean Arthur  The Actress Nobody Knew by John Oller An Infinity of Things  How Sir Henry Wellcome Collected the World by Frances Larson, and This Is NPR  The First Forty Years by National Public Radio Inc.

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (WendallP) | 1 comments For 2012 I already have a small list going which includes: Nemesis by Jo Nesbo (and if I like that then I'm sure I'll have to read his others), One Day by David Nicholls, the Thursday Next novels by Jasper Fforde, The Twelve (anxiously awaiting), and the next book in the A Discovery of Witches trilogy. I would also like to read some more classics that were preloaded on my eReader but I'm not sure which ones I'll get too. I love getting ideas from other people's reading lists!

message 19: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 586 comments My book to read is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand an a assortment of many others.ger

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1865 comments Mod
Gerald wrote: "My book to read is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittand an a assortment of many others.ger"

I've gott that one from the library right now, Gerald. Don't know if it will be #2 or #3 for the year. I 'm just starting Faith  A Novel by Jennifer Haigh and I've got The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht too.

message 21: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 644 comments I am very excited because a reprint of JG Ballard's High-Rise is coming out in March! Thanks to a recommendation by the Enthusiasticast guys, I've been looking forward to this for a long while.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 70 comments I need some help out there for recommending some books to my 15 yr old godson. He is a ballet dancer, very catholic, and homeschooled, loves to read. For CHristmas I got him Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory b/c he loves WW2 and he inhaled it. I'm worried that he's too sheltered and needs to branch out with his reading. Here is his email below in response to my ? about what he is reading.

" I usually like classics because I know that they are all well written, wholesome, and entertaining, but I like mysteries, Louis L'Amour's western books, science fiction, and historical fiction. I am also a dedicated Tolkien-ist (I read the Lord of the Rings once a year), and have almost all his books, though I do not care for much else in the fantasy genre. I also love history books on any time period or place, especially anything between the 14th-15th centuries and the dawn of history. I even like looking at atlases for fun."

Help this boy! What should I recommend? Would the Hunger Games be suitable?? There's so much to read out there it seems tragic to re-read Tolkien every year, but perhaps I'm being too negative.

Thanks!

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb | 10 comments @Becky What about Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption?
A little harsh because it deals with POWs but very compelling to read.

message 24: by Eric (new)

Eric Kibler | 1088 comments I think his reading tastes are very admirable and catholic for a fifteen year old. I wouldn't give him a hard time.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2083 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "I need some help out there for recommending some books to my 15 yr old godson. He is a ballet dancer, very catholic, and homeschooled, loves to read. For CHristmas I got him [book:Operation Minceme..."

A few books that come to mind: Jean Auel's CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR and the other books in that series ... Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey Maturin series (which I still haven't read myself but they are highly recommended by dozens of my bookseller and book-loving friends), and Barb's recommendation of UNBROKEN is a great one as well. Also thinking of THE LOST CITY OF Z by David Grann, and in a similar vein, Candace Millard's two books: THE RIVER OF DOUBT and DESTINY OF THE REPUBLIC.

message 26: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 224 comments I was a terribly square teenager. I read, and enjoyed, 1984 when I was 12, loved watching the News and anything about politics.
But I grew out of it.
Try him with Douglas Adams that is some fun, intelligent scifi.

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veroniccosio) | 5 comments Hey everyone! I'm new here. Just joined the group today. I'm from the Philippines. I'm guessing the first Filipino to join this group?

Anyway, I'm currently reading 1Q84 by Murakami. Enjoying it very much! It's strange but it's very interesting. This year, looking forward to (finally) reading Hunger Games and Songs of Ice and Fire. Hoping to finish both series this year!

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2083 comments Mod
Hi Veronica,
Welcome! I'm not sure if there is anyone else from the Philippines in the group, but I do know that we have people from all over. So glad to meet you, and love your reading choices!

Ann

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth i am looking forward to reading The Art of Fielding and When She Woke. i hope i get to them this year.

message 30: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 130 comments Kathy wrote: "My To Read list goes on for several single-spaced pages. Every now and then I'll read a sample paragraph online to get a sense of an author's style; that helps me to pare down my choices a little. ..."

Wow -- just put the bio of Dahl on my 12s shelf, Kathy, thanks for mentioning it. One of my 12s is to read more non-fiction/memoirs/bios and Dahl is a very interesting one certainly.

message 31: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 130 comments Becky -- i'm with Eric's response -- the young man seems to me to be fairly balanced and if his favorite is Tolkien then why not let hiom read it multiple times? What about WWII figures biographies to stretch him a bit within that interest?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Becky wrote: "I need some help out there for recommending some books to my 15 yr old godson."

I don't know that your godson needs any "help" but I recommend Mervyn Peakes' Ghormenghast Books:
Titus Groan
Ghormenghast
Titus Alone
Titus Awakes

They are SFF; but there are no aliens or advanced technology.It's a "Medievalish" world of magic and politics and amazing artwork.

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 124 comments Dottie wrote: "Wow -- just put the bio of Dahl on my 12s shelf, Kathy, thanks for mentioning it. One of my 12s is to read more non-fiction/memoirs/bios and Dahl is a very interesting one certainly."

It's interesting, all right, Dottie, but don't expect it to be cheerful. This was an impeccably researched and very well-written biography but one of the more depressing ones I've stuck with from beginning to end.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

1Q84 (other topics)
Rebecca (other topics)
As I Lay Dying (other topics)
Great Expectations (other topics)
The Twelve (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Haruki Murakami (other topics)
Rohinton Mistry (other topics)
P.G. Wodehouse (other topics)