Fantasy Book Club discussion

Old threads > Who Would You Be?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean Poindexter (Sean_Poindexter) | 33 comments If you're like me, when you really get into a well constructed fantasy world, you imagine where you would be if it was your world. So what are some of the really great worlds you've been privileged to explore through the page, and where did you imagine yourself when you closed the book for the night before drifting off to sleep?

I'll start - I love the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin. I like to imagine that I'm a house knight from the North. Martin's knights all like to wear highly stylized armor, colored and enameled with symbols and designs, so I've even imagined what my armor would look like, the kind of weapon I'd carry, and the heraldic device I'd bear on my shield. I even named my horse.

I can't be the only one who does this.

message 2: by Lettif (new)

Lettif Lapwing | 17 comments No of course you 're not! I believe that the majority of fantasy readers do this and it is because of this reason that we read fantasy books. There are many fantasy worlds I 've been to by reading, and I was placing myself to every one of them.

So, I will choose the most recent one. I am reading the Malazan series by Steven Erikson and for a peculiar reason I keep thinking myself as a sapper in the Empire's armies, and especially as a Bridgeburner. I believe that the feeling as they throw the munitions and endager themselves is exalting. But most of all I am deeply moved by their moto: "First in, last out".

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean Poindexter (Sean_Poindexter) | 33 comments Lettif wrote: " I am reading the Malazan series by Steven Erikson and for a peculiar reason I keep thinking myself as a sapper in the Empire's armies, and especially as a Bridgeburner. I believe that the feeling as they throw the munitions and endager themselves is exalting. But most of all I am deeply moved by their moto: "First in, last out". "

First in, last out! I like that!

message 4: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 11 comments Ooooh fun!

I love the world Lynch has built in The Lies of Locke Lamora. I can perhaps, most likely see myself nodding off while dreaming of myself patrolling the streets and canals of the coastal city, Camorr while, forever more the Dukes elderglass towers reach for the sky.

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I'm quite taken by the Mistborn series, as well as the The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4) by Brandon Sanderson. I would love the chance to explore the mists, push and pull myself through the air. It seems like a world that allows such creativity.

message 6: by Traci (new)

Traci The thing to come to my mind right away is actually a videogame. Mass Effect. I would love to walk around the Citadel. Illium. Omega. I want to see a turian....

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) I agree with everyone, but never thought Traci would hit it on the head so well! I sometimes think I was born in the wrong century... I would love nothing more than to live in a time of inter-stellar travel. To see different races and amazing new worlds, and to live in a time when everyone carried firearms again and might makes right.

Though somewhere even closer to my heart is The Shire. I love nature, and those rolling green hills and way of lifestyle are perfect.

Maybe Mass Effect until I'm 60, and the Shire after?

message 8: by Bill (last edited Dec 22, 2011 06:34AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 320 comments Oh! So many I've wanted to be (and have been) from a Klingon to a Jedi master (Yoda, not Luke) to an Arithon or an Atreides. Imagine being a Dragonrider or a Herald Mage! I've been them all and much more.

message 9: by Barbm1020 (last edited Dec 29, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Barbm1020 If I didn't know that it gets trashed by the Deatheaters, I'd like to work in the bookshop in Diagon Alley. Maybe I'd be a Guild Scribe in Ankh-Morpork. Or an itinerant teacher like the ones in Lancre. Or a wandering Discworld librarian. Or a little old lady with apples to sell...

message 10: by Dana (new)

Dana I'd want to be an Aes Sedai in the Brown Ajah from the Wheel of Time. Though Herald Mage sounds fun too. :)

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 608 comments I'm the one spying on the characters and yelling at them when they do stupid things...oh... :P

Well, the only world I really wanted to be in was Harry Potter. Getting that letter from Hogwarts. I was already too old when I read those books to be accepted into Hogwarts, but I didn't care. I would want to teach Care of Magical Creatures class. Sorry Hagrid. Or at least take the class.

I wouldn't be adverse to going to Narnia either. How many times did I jump in my closet hoping it would transport me there? I think I would have my own cabin in the woods and enjoy talking to the animals.

Another thing I was thinking of just because I rewatched the mini-series recently, though I haven't read the book(s), is to live in Dinotopia. I so want to be able to work in the hatchery and take care of my own baby dinosaur. :)

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean Poindexter (Sean_Poindexter) | 33 comments This is a lot of fun! I'm glad I started this!

Kernos mentioned Klingons. I think I would prefer to be a Romulan expatriate in Star Fleet, either as a security officer or in the Star Fleet Marines.

In Yasmine Galenorn's series, I'd want to be a weretiger or a giant.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (groundhawg) 1) I would totally retire to the Shire. I think thats the best idea I ever heard. Hmm, I think that we could start a community of little round houses in hills in New Zealand, and it could be a retired community of readers. Who's in?

2) Interstellar travel would be great, but I'm so in love with "honor by the sword." I could definitly see myself as a Space Viking in H. Beam Piper's Sword World series, or Paratime police.

3) If we are sticking with straight fantasy, I love the really outdoorsy-characters, the ones that can track an animal, take care of themselves. I would love to have the powers of a confessor, I think Khalen is just a great character in Wizards First Rule.

Of course, all that being said, I don't mind a little hardship, but a life filled with constant terrors and heartwrenching losses isnt for me. I mean, you can't help but pity the main characters sometimes- constantly tortured and betrayed, the whole world resting on their shoulders. ugh. I think I'd be better suited to be a travelling companion ;)

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (Jasmineme) | 110 comments right now I'm reading the Harper trilogy by Anne McCaffrey and so want to have a fire lizard of my own...it's brown and I shall call him Cocoa :)

you can count me in the first expedition to planet Pern :D

message 15: by Traci (new)

Traci Going for straight fantasy I guess my sentimental answer is to live in Krynn, the world of Dragonlance. My first fantasy love and one that will always have a place in my heart, my soul. To walk through Solace and eat spiced potatoes at the Inn of the Last Home.

I would love to see the world of the Malazan books. But I think it would make Westeros look like a good vacationing spot.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 320 comments Anyone like to live underground with the Drow?

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Kernos wrote: "Anyone like to live underground with the Drow?"

Not, I would not since I would have to become evil, and worship a giant spider goddess along with never being the dominant sex.

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 320 comments Given that the Drow, like Dune is a satire on humanity, me neither. OTOH, I'd love to ride a sand worm.

message 19: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) I think every fan of fantasy must do this! I dream of being a Ranger, either in Ithilien or of the Dunedain... Being a master of the outdoors, hunting down orcs, rocking that sweet leather armor. All of that.

But I would have to insist on having tampons. Just sayin'.

message 20: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) Kevin wrote: "Kernos wrote: "Anyone like to live underground with the Drow?"

Not, I would not since I would have to become evil, and worship a giant spider goddess along with never being the dominant sex."

Darn... Never getting to be part of the dominant sex. I wonder what that must be like....

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (groundhawg) Chelsea, come to my house, my husband just got a vaccuum for Christmas.

Oh I'm just kidding. Its a true story, but he bought it for himself because he is a neat freak. But I can dream...

message 22: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (addiebelle) Chelsea wrote: "Darn... Never getting to be part of the dominant sex. I wonder what that must be like...."

Must be awful. Help! Help! I'm bein' repressed!

message 23: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 136 comments Kalam Mekhar, assassin; Malazan Book of the Fallen. I'm really a normal calm person, but enjoy the characters that are just badass killers, with a little heart.

message 24: by Max (new)

Max I'd love to live in the world of The Name of the Wind, especially at the University. The magic there is really interesting, and not the boring "Hey look, i'm throwing fireballs"-magic.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've ridden a mighty sandworm with the Fremen on Arrakis, voyaged to the bottom of the sea with Captain Nemo on the Nautilus,visited the Lost World with Professor Challenger, fought with King Arthur, drawn a bow with Robin Hood, ridden a dragon against Napoleon with Laurence and Temeraire,held the Wall with Jon Snow.....we who read have the greatest Time Machine of all....books.

That said I love the idea of retiring to Hobbiton and living in one of those cozy little burrows that Peter Jackson brought so vividly to life.

message 26: by Traci (new)

Traci ^ Like!!!

message 27: by Sean (new)

Sean Poindexter (Sean_Poindexter) | 33 comments Kernos wrote: "Anyone like to live underground with the Drow?"

I love caves a great deal. If I were a Drow in the Forgotten Realms, I'd be a rebel worshipper of Eilistraee or Vhaeraun.

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 320 comments If you like caves then being a dwarf is also a possibility.

message 29: by Sean (new)

Sean Poindexter (Sean_Poindexter) | 33 comments I also like being tall. Well, taller than a dwarf, anyway.

message 30: by Dana (new)

Dana Simpson (danasimpson) I would be the child lost in "The Neverending Story". Even though I'm a girl, I would love to be the one lost in a lush forest, speaking to a wise giant turtle,and finding (for me) my prince. Walking in and around the forest, just getting lost in the world, would be elating. I've read the story several times and still loose myself completely in the world.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Traci wrote: "^ Like!!!"

*bows* Thank you!

message 32: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (Applesticker) | 10 comments I'd LOVE to be a Hogwarts student (Hufflepuff, if you believe Pottermore, though probably more like Ravenclaw); and I can easily see myself with a job like Charlie Weasley - I ADORE Dragons!!! :)

Also, the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke (which, quite coincidently, deals with this sort of thing - characters coming off the page and into the real world, and real-world people falling into the pages of the book) is an amazing scene, where I could easily see myself running a little shop, watching all the street performers day in, day out...

*sigh*: this as made my real life seem quite boring...

message 33: by Sean (new)

Sean Poindexter (Sean_Poindexter) | 33 comments Haley, don't worry, everyone's life is quite boring in comparison to a fantasy novel. And I adore dragons, too :-)

message 34: by Traci (new)

Traci Everyday life is boring in comparison to most fantasy but as readers we don't have to choose any one world to live in. We get to visit them all.

@ Lisa, lol. You're welcome.

message 35: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) Traci wrote: "Everyday life is boring in comparison to most fantasy but as readers we don't have to choose any one world to live in. We get to visit them all."

That's a big reason I read fantasy. I was an anti-social kid and got bullied a lot, so when I was young, fantasy provided me with new worlds and different powerful characters who didn't get bullied. Now that I'm older, I live in LA and I hate it. I hate all the cars, all the people, and all the buildings, so it's still fulfilling the same need for escape.

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (groundhawg) *sigh*: this as made my real life seem quite boring...

I think most of the heroes in our books would love to live a duller life. Honestly, Harry Potter would have to have some serious PTSD, trying to be murdered that many times at a young age.

Whenever I go rock climbing I think of Legend of the Seeker, and when I hiked in Arizona/Utah I would often think of Muad'Dib. Now that I hike on the east coast I think much more about Hobbits.

Books should enhance the world we live in, not detract from it. We should be able to appreciate the world around us even more, be able to see the interconnectivity of cause-and-effect and relation, because we are used to seeing it drawn out on the page. Enjoy what your characters enjoy!

message 37: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (KAKrisko) | 198 comments I would have to be in some non-corporeal form that allows me to pop in and out of various characters as my mood changed. I'd like to be able to see the world through unusual characters' eyes; what's it like to be a Death-eater? an orc? a minor character who knows Harry Potter but isn't part of his "inner circle"?

When I was a kid one of my issues was wanting desperately to be able to "be" some of the characters in the books I read and realizing I would never be able to because at that time a lot of the female characters kind of sucked, and I wanted to be the male ones, but as a female (think, "Misty of Chincoteague", one of my favorite childhood books). It definitely created some conflict for me.

I actually think this is one of the big reasons I and a lot of other people write. The big reason is to be able to live in someone else's world for a while, to be somebody else you'll never get to be in real life. If other people like it, so much the better, but for me, writing is as much for me as it is for anyone else.

message 38: by Dana (last edited Feb 07, 2012 08:03AM) (new)

Dana Simpson (danasimpson) I would like to be Arya in George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire trilogy. I am a bit of a tomboy myself and struggle to keep my emotions in check, so I really identify with Arya, specially her drive to live, and gain control of a bad situation and make it the best she could do. I was so angry when they took her sword. "Needle" is a symbol to her family's honor, which we both highly respect.

message 39: by Sean (new)

Sean Poindexter (Sean_Poindexter) | 33 comments Dana wrote: "I would like to be Arya in George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire trilogy. I am a bit of a tomboy myself and struggle to keep my emotions in check, so I really identify with Arya, specially her drive to..."

I love Arya, too.

message 40: by Becky (new)

Becky (groundhawg) Lord Jaxom from the White Dragon, um, only female.

message 41: by Eli (new)

Eli | 20 comments Thinking about Harry Potter, if I could get in Hogwarts I would definitely be in Ravenclaw house, I've always tough that.

In the world of Earthsea I would be a little town's witch that sells herbs, potions and charms for little things.

message 42: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments I would like to Drizzt, but I don't have his integrity.

message 43: by Traci (new)

Traci I would love to be a badass warrior from a favorite fantasy series but...yeah with my temperament I think I'd be happiest being a hobbit.
A hobbit with a Big imagination though. :)

message 44: by Olga (new)

Olga Godim (olgagodim) | 85 comments I would love to be a bard in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar. But I don't want to sing songs the crown prescribes. When artists follow the rulers' directions in their art, the art dies. Any dictatorship can attest to the same trend. If I were a bard of Valdemar, I wouldn't sing constant praises to Heralds and Companions. I would mock those Heralds that are stupid and inflexible and those Companions that are arrogant and intolerant. Someone has to.

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) Dana wrote: "I'd want to be an Aes Sedai in the Brown Ajah from the Wheel of Time. Though Herald Mage sounds fun too. :)"

Yes, I would definitely be an Aes Sedai. Probably the green ajah for me though so I can have loads of hunky warders!

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) Chelsea wrote: "I think every fan of fantasy must do this! I dream of being a Ranger, either in Ithilien or of the Dunedain... Being a master of the outdoors, hunting down orcs, rocking that sweet leather armor. A..."

Lol! Being a ranger would be awesome. Definitely Ithilien for me. Preferably with Aragorn by my side. *sigh*

message 47: by Dan (new)

Dan Debono (DanDeBono) I identify with Menion Leah (Shanarra) or Corwin from Amber. LOVE those guys!

message 48: by Dan (new)

Dan Debono (DanDeBono) Becky wrote: "Lord Jaxom from the White Dragon, um, only female."

Ah, another great one! Love Jax ...

message 49: by Dan (new)

Dan Debono (DanDeBono) Elizabeth wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "I think every fan of fantasy must do this! I dream of being a Ranger, either in Ithilien or of the Dunedain... Being a master of the outdoors, hunting down orcs, rocking that sweet ..."

Great Character but sometimes too serious for me!

message 50: by Dan (new)

Dan Debono (DanDeBono) My son says Skeeve (Myth). He's IS a bit Skeevie ...

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Alloy of Law (other topics)
The Name of the Wind (other topics)
The Silmarillion (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George R.R. Martin (other topics)
Yasmine Galenorn (other topics)
Cornelia Funke (other topics)
J.R.R. Tolkien (other topics)