The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30; Tiffany Aching, #1) The Wee Free Men discussion

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alyssa He mainly does short fiction but you may want to try some stories by Rhys Hughes. Here's an audio podcast of one of them:

Donna Anything by Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams is fantastic. Red Dwarf was good (Grant Naylor). I'm a fan of A. Lee Martinez - he writes fantasy but it's all set in modern times with 'normal' human characters dealing with various 'paranormal' characters. They're very amusing :)

David If you're going for Red Dwarf, 'Last Human' is probably the weakest of them.

I'd also recommend PG Wodehouse's 'Jeeves and Wooster' books (the use of language is brilliant!)

Simon Ford You may also like to look out for JASPER FFORDE, a really fun writer, especially the two NUSERY CRIME novels The Big Over Easy, about the death of Humpty Dumpty(Please don't let that put you off, the semantic swordplay is absolutely hilarious)and Detective Jack Spratts investigation into a possible murder. The Fourth Bear is about ace reporter Goldilocks going missing whilst investigating mysterious deaths and disappearences in the world of cucumber growing. Both books involve various nursery and literary characters in insane situations including Mr & Mrs Punch as marriage guidance counsellors who move in next door, BRILLIANT,GENIUS and laugh out loud funny,in my humble opinion.

Stacia I second the recommendation for Jasper Fforde's books. Also, you might like "The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear" by Walter Moers -- it's a zany, funny romp.

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Try Robert Rankin,the Brentworth series is a good place to start.

Sophie Can definitely recommend Jasper Fforde, the Thursday Next books are brilliantly witty, and if you love books I'd certainly recommend reading them. Shades of Grey is awesome too, my favourite book ever! Quite hilarious (well the apocryphal man made me laugh), thought provoking and an absolutely brilliant read, can't recommend it highly enough.

Terry Pratchett's work is good fun too, I thoroughly enjoyed Monstrous Regiment

message 8: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim I liked Shades of Grey too. Some of the Tom Holt stuff is pretty good. I really liked Barking in particular.

Sophie Tom Holt has intrigued me for a while now, I have never read any of his work but both 'May Contain Traces of Magic' and 'Barking' have caught my eye in the past.

message 10: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Heivilin I would also recommend the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer.

Rebecca Good Omens! The Apocalypse was never so funny!

message 12: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Heivilin Donna wrote: "[snip] Red Dwarf was good (Grant Naylor). [snip]"

"Grant Naylor" isn't actually a person, it's an amalgamation of the series creators, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. So a search for that author might not turn up anything. :)

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wee Free Men (other topics)