2015 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE General 2012 > Questions for Mods...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 129) (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Please ask any questions here. I plan to clean up my personal "Nikki's Corner" Folder so that I am able to keep track of my own goals a little better. I welcome any and all questions. If someone else knows the answer by all means lets help each other out!
~Happy Reading~

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3017 comments Sorry about that...

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki no need to be sorry...this just works better :)

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3017 comments Um... no children's books. I mean all chapter books correct? Weird question I know but sometimes I read kids books.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki im sorry im a little confused can you ask me the question again?

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3017 comments The books posted on here are only chapter books right?

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki You can read whatever type of book that you want, I would count the childrens books, if they are all in the same binding, to be 1 book though but that is completely up to you.

message 8: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3017 comments Okay, thanks (:

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 518 comments No question for you Nikki ... just dropping in to mention we've hit 100 group members!

message 10: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3017 comments Hey Nikki can you help with how were organizing the buddy read for Oliver Twist? I've never done one so do we just write on the same post because some are reading faster and others slower?

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Adriana wrote: "Hey Nikki can you help with how were organizing the buddy read for Oliver Twist? I've never done one so do we just write on the same post because some are reading faster and others slower?"

that is up to you. You can organize it how ever you want. What I suggested to Melissa regarding The Help is to create a thread that says "Alert spoilers" o something along those lines. You can also set up a schedule for discussions like split the chapters up by week....However you want to do it is fine with me. You may want to ask the people reading it with you which way they prefer.

message 12: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3017 comments Got it. Thanks!

message 13: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Did that help? or make it worse?

message 14: by Adriana (last edited Jan 04, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

Adriana | 3017 comments haha! no you didn't make it worse. I already asked the others so I'll wait for there response and will suggest your idea with the spoilers if needed.

message 15: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 42 comments SO this is the group where we can post our personal reading challenge for 2012? For instance I have a 200 book challenge for the year and I wanted to be able to break that down and keep track of it somewhere, is this the right somewhere???

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Or any other things you want to track. Personal challenges, challenges from other groups, blogs, read diary....you get the idea. Here we want the group to be about its members so just about everything is put to a vote and desided by everyone! I hope you enjoy it!!!

message 17: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Ricord (glenda-r) I have a question about the individual goal folders. I have posted a topic called Glenda's 50 book challenge or something similar. Now I can't find it. Please help. Thanks in advance.

message 18: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Well, that is strange... I can tell you that none of those topics have been deleted. Yet when I look at your posts I see only the your intro post and this one. I checked the member's and 50 book goal folders and nothing there either. Had you put a lot of information in it or had you just created the topic?

If there was a lot of info, I would wait on Nikki who is a more tech savvy mod than me! If it was just the topic, feel free to create a new one.

message 19: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Ricord (glenda-r) No Tatum, I just posted the topic. Let me try again. I'm sure it was a nut on the keyboard on this end. Thanks for the quick reply.

message 20: by Nikki (new)

Nikki you have to create at least one thread with something in it or it wont show up.

message 21: by Nikki (new)

Nikki you may have created the folder and if you didn't put on post in there it will stay hidden.

message 22: by SharHops (new)

SharHops | 45 comments Another question. Does Goodreads have a section where you can ask questions about manoevering around the site??

I have a book, with an isbn, and goodreads says there is no such item. What should I do??

Thanks a bunch.

message 23: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments From the Help Section:

"If you can't find a book on our search engine, you have two options. The first option is to search by ISBN. You can find ISBN numbers on in the inside cover of your book or on Amazon. The second option is to add the book yourself by clicking on 'manually add book' on the right side of the search page."

Alternatively, there is the Goodreads Librarians Group found here: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2... They are the ones who add books, combine books, add info etc. They also answer questions ;)

message 24: by SharHops (new)

SharHops | 45 comments Perfect. Thank you so much for your speedy response :)

message 25: by Carime (new)

Carime | 1 comments Nikki wrote: "Please ask any questions here. I plan to clean up my personal "Nikki's Corner" Folder so that I am able to keep track of my own goals a little better. I welcome any and all questions. If someone el..."

OK how does this work? do we read whatever books we want or the ones that are listed?

message 26: by Nikki (new)

Nikki You are also welcome to set up appropriate folders in the personal challenge section for you # of books and in the Member's corner. In order to keep track if you would like. They are like your own personal space to track an say what you please.

message 27: by Nathan (last edited Jan 30, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

Nathan (nathlawle) Do graphic novels count as books? In junior high when we had a designated reading time, my teacher always said they didn't count. :p
I'm reading a graphic novel right now that could potentially count towards a couple challenges but I need to know if they qualify first...

message 28: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments I would say they count. By which I mean that I will accept them for any challenge I am running. I don't think we have a consensus for the group at large, because it's never come up, but I've seen graphic novels that have more print in them than some books so...

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawle) Tatum wrote: "I would say they count. By which I mean that I will accept them for any challenge I am running. I don't think we have a consensus for the group at large, because it's never come up, but I've seen g..."

Thanks! :)

message 30: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 764 comments I have a request instead of question :) would one of you move my Personal Challenge topic to the next one, as I decided to try for 33 books for the new listopia challenge that means my new total will be 66 book for the year! o/

message 31: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Got you moved to the 51-100 thread, you can change your thread title and congrats on moving your number up! :)

message 32: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 764 comments Thanks :) It sounds to me like sooo much, but I know I can do it!

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments Where r u suppose to put the amount of books you are going to read this year ?? I put it in my corner. Is there somewhere else ?

message 34: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Yes, if you scroll down on the group page you will see folders marked Personal Challenge and then a number of books. Pick the one that corresponds to the number of books you plan to read and create your new thread in there. You can then list your books read, reviews, whatever else you want.

message 35: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Okay, I have a question, and it probably is silly. For my Goodreads goal this year, I set a goal of 145 books. Should I set my personal goal here for the same? And if I do that, can I go back and list the books I've read so far this year.

Or should I just make it simple, and start from here, meaning just count my books from today forward?

Help!

message 36: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Most people keep the same goal and then just list the books they've read so far (maybe putting a little note beside ones they really loved) and then go from there in more detail. We aren't especially picky though, you could just put that you've read for example 20/145 books so far and then carry on too.

message 37: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Thank you, Sara and Tatum. I will just work from this point forward.

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments so here's a question that's been in my head for a couple days now.... what happens when 2012 is over?? do you make a new group or change the groups name? lol. (Yes, I know, I think of weird stuff!!)

message 39: by Nikki (new)

Nikki It would stay the the same except I will change the name of the group. That way we don't have to join a different "group"

message 40: by Barb (new)

Barb | 207 comments I'm not really sure this is the right place for this, but I don't know where else to ask, sorry!

Can you tell me when the April challenge threads (No Spring Chick(en) and April Showers Bring May Flowers) are going to open for discussion? Or, since the challenge requirements are already posted, can you tell me when the challenge officially starts and ends? I'd guess it's April 1st through 30th, but I learned a long time ago not to assume anything.

Sorry if I'm being impatient, I just want to print a list of my spring challenges, and I "need" start and end dates for each of them. Thanks so much!

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments Just curious if there is going to be a quarterly challenge?

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments sweet .. thank you for the quick response :)

message 43: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Its going up in about a minute as soon as I get over there :)

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments Yay .. signed up :) These challenges are so fun !!

message 45: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3083 comments Hi mods! I'd like to change my 2012 goal from 75 to 101. Could you please help me update my challenge thread title and put it in the correct category? Thank you!

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments Can someone move my member corner thread to 100+ books .. im changing my goal to 150 ... Thanks :)

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 210 comments Sara wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Can someone move my member corner thread to 100+ books .. im changing my goal to 150 ... Thanks :)"

Done :)"

Thank you so much !!

message 48: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 764 comments I did some clean up for my members corner by starting a new one. The new one is "Johanna´s Corner". Could you delete the old one called "Johanna´s"?

message 49: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 764 comments Could you start new topics for my challenges: new to me and around the world? Just the topics and I´ll get the stats and all there, there´s so many pages in there that it would be easier with new ones and the old ones can be moved to to last months things.

message 50: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 764 comments No hurry :)

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Steve Jobs (other topics)
A Game of Thrones (other topics)