Time Travel discussion

Non-Time-Travel Subjects > Do you use an ebook reader?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 76) (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Dec 19, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
In preparation for our monthly book giveaways that will be starting in January, I'm wondering how many of our members use a kindle, nook or other ebook reader.

Please comment on this thread to let me know if you use an e-book reader and whether you would be willing to enter a drawing for a book that is only available in an electronic format.

Please keep in mind that even if you don't own an ebook reader, a kindle app is now available for just about any smart phone, tablet or personal computer (PC). This allows you to read ebooks on these devices without having to invest in an ebook reader. Having read books on all of these devices, I will say that the phone and computer are not ideal. However, a tablet is not bad.

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Taylor (SooGuy) | 88 comments I use a variety of e-readers on my iPhone and would be up for an e-book giveaway.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Almazan | 24 comments I have a Kindle and love it. I'd be happy to have a chance to win an e-book.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Healey (markhealey) I have a Kindle, and the Kindle app on my iPad, PC and iPhone, I'd be very happy to win an e-book

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 579 comments I have access to my son's *old* Sony. I've been known to print out novellas. I don't have tablet or any newer e-reader. So, um, I'd enter for an e-book if it looked like a really really good book and I could either put it on the old Sony e-reader or could print it out.

message 6: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I have an iPad and an iPhone. I have a variety of reading apps. installed in them, and in my Mac and PC.

message 7: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I prefer eBook over paper. I would only buy a paper book if I cannot find a version of it in a digital format.

message 8: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I agree with Aloha. Now that I have tried ebooks, I will never go back.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura P I have a kindle and several of the kindle apps. My preference is ebooks.

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (Vlord) | 25 comments I have an IPad and Kindle.....I'll read a book in any format though!

message 11: by Tej (new)

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1644 comments Mod
I read all my e-books on an Android phone which has a Kindle app and can also read other formats but Kindle is the best reader for me on my phone.

ANd yes, I do prefer to read e-books. But it is sad at the same time because no matter how convenient e-books are, I miss the feel of those pages of a real book and the hours browsing in a bookshop or library choosing my next read. So many bookstores have gone from the high street now...but we have to move with the times and I suppose that is what this group is all about!

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan | 60 comments I admit it, I am a Luddite. I do not own any type of ebook reader, including a cell phone. I do not have a tablet, or an iPad. The fact is, I sit in front of my computer for most of the day, with a telephone about one foot away, so I do not see a need for a cell phone (besides, I hate talking on the phone). I will probably get some type of ebook reader, but am just waiting for the major improvements to plateau. Also, as a person who has a great fondness for children's series books, ebooks just do not make sense. I mean, you can read Tom Swift on an ebook reader, but what is the point? I am not totally hopeless, however, as I do have an iPod, and listen to books while walking to work.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 579 comments Ah Dan, good for you for knowing what you want and not abandoning paper whimsically! I know e-readers are fantastic for many people, but some of us need traditional media and that's good, too.

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 2 comments I was a long-time holdout for "real" books, but I have purchased a Nook and absolutely love it! I can carry hundreds of books around with me, and choose from them at will. I also like the weight and the ease of turning pages. It's much lighter than a traditional book. So yes- I would love an eBook!

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (Swingcorey) | 51 comments I've been downloading books from Project Gutenberg for a long time, but I just recently got a "smart-er" phone that allows me to read HTML and PDF versions of the PG books.

I read The Scarlet Pimpernel this way just last month. Not too bad, once I got the font sized correctly and centered on the screen.

That said, there's just something about having the paper book in my hands. Still so much easier to make notes (and track them down afterward) while reading with a pen and pad of paper nearby (or jotting notes on my bookmark).

message 16: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Thank you all for your input. The reason I was asking is that our first book in our monthly giveaways for 2012 will be offered only in ebook format for either the kindle or nook. I just wanted to make sure that there were a few people out there who would be interested. Keep an eye out for a new thread over the weekend to announce our first time-travel book giveaway.

message 17: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Adler (akadler) | 113 comments Add me to the list of those who are now e-book only. I've ripped my CDs to my hard drive. I've ripped my DVDs to my hard drive. If I could rip my paper books to my hard drive I'd be one happy little member of the digerati.

(Insert 'book-ripping' joke at any appropriate point in the previous paragraph.)

message 18: by Missjulied (new)

Missjulied I made the switch a few months ago, and I'm really enjoying my Kindle. I like not having to lug a huge book around on the bus, and I like being able to change the font size.

I plan on buying all my books in this format unless they have images (photos, maps, etc).

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Stanley | 1 comments I have a Kindle and LOVE winning/receiving e-books!

message 20: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) Jamie wrote: "I've been downloading books from Project Gutenberg for a long time, but I just recently got a "smart-er" phone that allows me to read HTML and PDF versions of the PG books.

I read [book:The Scar..."

I love Librivox too.
Nice addition to Project Gutenberg.

https://catalog.librivox.org/

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 579 comments Shirley, you're absolutely right about librivox - great resource!

message 22: by Tracey L (new)

Tracey L Pacelli (TraceyLPacelli) | 6 comments Love my Kindle and it loves me!

message 23: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 5 comments I have a Nook and adore it. I wasn't sure I would but it is terribly handy when I'm out somewhere and want to read more than one thing.

message 24: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (GertieBird) | 111 comments I have a Kindle Fire, and seem to be reading a lot more ebooks than paperbacks these days.

message 25: by K55f (new)

K55f | 29 comments Kindle Fire.
I still love paper, but hte books are so much cheaper in e-format, and I can read in bed a lot easier.

message 26: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I got a Kindle Fire for Xmas and have been reading almost all ebooks since then. I find it much easier to read commuting on the subway while standing and holding onto the pole--it's easier to turn pages with one hand on the kindle than with a paper book.

message 27: by Tej (new)

Another very useful feature with Kindle (and I am guessing with other ebook readers too), is that you can also read a long sample of every book from the beginning. They're also long enough to give you an idea of whether the book is for you or not. Most of the time the sample ends when its gets to an intriguing point and you just have to know what happens next.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 579 comments I'm going to use my new Sony Reader to get books from Project Gutenberg and from my local library.

message 29: by Keith (new)

Keith McArdle (Varangian) | 18 comments I have a Kindle and love it! I do also read paperback books but probabaly at a proportion of 70% (e-book) 30% (paperback).

Gertie, you said you had a Kindle Fire, does it meet your expectations?

message 30: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 19, 2012 02:26PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 579 comments Any other Sony users here? I wanted to use the 'download ebook' option for a book here on GR (The Importance of Being Earnest) on my Sony Reader PRS-T1 and couldn't - it wasn't there on the mobile version. I had to go to gutenberg.org (which was fine, but seems like a totally unnecessary extra step). Was I overlooking something? Or am I totally confused?

message 31: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (GertieBird) | 111 comments Keith wrote: "Gertie, you said you had a Kindle Fire, does it meet your expectations?"

Well... I think I got what I paid for. :-) I bought the Kindle Fire after having use of an iPad for about a year. I am not an Apple fangirl, but iPads are great devices. They are also expensive, so when I had to return the iPad (work loaner) I knew I was going to be in trouble. The Fire is the perfect solution for books/email-internet/Netflix/games on a more reasonable budget. It is a little quirky (some usability issues) but still, I think it is great to have.

Sorry, that was a little long-winded. :-P

message 32: by Tej (last edited Feb 20, 2012 06:48AM) (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Any other Sony users here? I wanted to use the 'download ebook' option for a book here on GR (The Importance of Being Earnest) on my Sony Reader PRS-T1 and couldn't - it wasn't there ..."

DO you see the download option for other books? If so, I wonder if this is one of those books that might need repairing by the librarians due to the Amazon cut-off. Maybe John can take a look?

message 33: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Feb 20, 2012 07:25AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I'm a kindle user myself, so I don't know much about the Sony e-reader. However, I did take a look at the ebooks for "The Importance of Being Ernest," and it only has the kindle and pdf versions available. I'm not sure what the standard format is for Sony. I don't think you did anything wrong, Cheryl. When using the "download" ebook option, it will only show you the versions available for your paticular e-reader. Also the mobile app for Goodreads does not have all of the same features that the website offers. When I realized this, I dropped the mobile app and started using the full website version on my phone and tablet computer.

message 34: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I went ahead and added the ePub edition of "The Importance of Being Ernest," which I assume will work for the Sony ereader.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 579 comments Thanks guys - all that information helps.

I went to the full version of GR too (as opposed to the mobile), and downloaded the book that way. But hopefully someone else will be able to benefit from the edition of the ePub, and I'm glad you did that!

Btw, I am getting ePubs from Project Gutenberg just fine.

message 36: by Keith (new)

Keith McArdle (Varangian) | 18 comments Gertie,

Thanks for the informative reply. Am thinking about buying one, and as you say, far cheaper than an Ipad.

message 37: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (Vlord) | 25 comments I have a question for you all....PLEASE HELP!
I will start by saying that I love my IPad and Kindle. When I travel, I take the IPad because I can multi-task with emails, web, reading, etc. I like it for reading in bed at night becaue I don't disturb that wonderful person on the other side of the mattress. BUT, here is my problem that leads to the question: I often don't get time to read much for several weeks at a time. BUT, being the avid shopper that I am I continue to buy e-books so that I will have them when I do get time. Often by the time I get around to reading them several weeks later, I have quite a few books on the IPad. When reading books made from trees (that part I hate) I can always turn them all over and read a quick descriptive blurb on the back. That way I can decide which book I am in the mood to read. (yes, reading has moods) With my IPad I have the books, but no blurbs for quick decisions. Sometimes I am in a place or situation where I cannot go to the web and check Amazon or Goodreads for a descriptive blurb about the books I am contemplating. Drum Roll Please.........and now the question.......Am I missing something? Is there a way to get those blurbs on e-books to save me from having to go back to Goodreads or Amazon and read what each book is about????? Hoping........

message 38: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) Does it let you add that when you buy the book? or Is there another location for notes? Can you download to a collection ie romance/mystery/non-fiction? If so copy and paste info when you purchase. Make collections with starred ie 4 star 3 star.

message 39: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (Vlord) | 25 comments Shirley wrote: "Does it let you add that when you buy the book? or Is there another location for notes? Can you download to a collection ie romance/mystery/non-fiction? If so copy and paste info when you purcha..."

I cannot find a way to add the blurb when I buy the book, unless someone knows something that I cannot figure out.....very possible. I cannot find a way on the IPad kindle app to dowload to a collection either. i have tried to find a way to paste it in when I download the book, but can find no way to do it. I have tried to put the blurbs into a separate notes app, but they don't show up when I paste. Any other ideas or HELP ANYONE?????
Thanks!!!!!!!!

message 40: by Bella (new)

Bella Street (bellastreet) | 2 comments I HEART my Kindle 3 :)

message 41: by Fred (new)

Fred Hughes | 9 comments I'm a luddite, I guess, as I still like the feel of an actual book in my hands as I read

message 42: by Laesar (new)

Laesar I love my kindle. It goes everywhere I do and it can contain so many books. I still love my paper books and I still buy them (much to the annoyance of my other half) but I have cut down drastically as I am only buying what I know I like and what I will read again. If its something I have never read before or a new author then I download it to my kindle and make my mind up from there.

message 43: by K55f (new)

K55f | 29 comments Convert any format to any other format for free with Calibre. http://calibre-ebook.com/
This program works great. And it's free. Did I mentioon how it converts any format to any other format and it's free? OK.

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 579 comments Fred, I agree, but there are more and more books that aren't avl in print - newer ones, self-published, OOP very old ones, etc. So, since I'm insatiable, I need both paper & e-paper, I've realized! :)

message 45: by Fred (new)

Fred Hughes | 9 comments True. And a book is a book I guess whether it is physical or digital

message 46: by Gertie (new)

Gertie (GertieBird) | 111 comments Vicki wrote: "I have a question for you all....PLEASE HELP!
I will start by saying that I love my IPad and Kindle. When I travel, I take the IPad because I can multi-task with emails, web, reading, etc. I like ..."

Vickie, I think your best bet would be to get in the habit of getting the free sample/free first chapter before you commit to buying something. It will satisfy the urge to acquire something :-P, and you probably already have enough books that you don't need to worry about getting stranded without one. This way you can get a taste of a book before making the actual purchase.

message 47: by Tej (last edited Aug 06, 2012 07:15AM) (new)

BBC reports that Amazon UK are selling more ebooks than paperbacks and hardbacks combined.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-...

message 48: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kuttner I'm a kindle fan. The basic e-ink one that's not back-lit and you can read it in the sun. I find the back-lit ones (like ipad, kindle fire etc) make my eyes tired after a few hours of reading.

message 49: by Linda B.D. (new)

Linda B.D. (LindaBD) | 85 comments John wrote: "In preparation for our monthly book giveaways that will be starting in January, I'm wondering how many of our members use a kindle, nook or other ebook reader.

Please comment on this thread to let..."

No reader or anything yet. I will get one next week.LindaD

message 50: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) | 1 comments I have a Nook and do use it for free reads and great deals. I also can be found using it willingly on shorter books; for all other I prefer the look, feel, smell of paper!!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Scarlet Pimpernel (other topics)
The Importance of Being Earnest (other topics)