New Moon (Twilight, #2) New Moon discussion

Why do People Hate This Book?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 229) (229 new)    post a comment »

Chelsea Denisse Alot of my friends, that love Twilight, hate New Moon, and i looked online and many people said the same. But i dont get it, Whats wrong with it? Because i like it just fine.

Shennel I heard many people don't like it because Edward is missing from most of the book and it's focused on Bella being with Jacob. I don't know, that's just an opinion. I personally don't like it the Twilight series, but that is the popular opinion going around that I have noticed.

Aurora the Roman Goddess of the Dawn I like Twilight, but I stopped reading the series a little way into New Moon.

For the series on a whole I think some people don't like it because of the popularity. What I mean to say is, I still like Twilight, but I got turned away because of all the crazy people who were in love with it.

Veronica Amongst the four books this was least appealing to me. it hardly accelerated and bella slouched around. In order to be great there must be some plot conflict.

Bridget Bowers I think the issue with New Moon is that it is a very depressing chapter in the Twilight saga. Not only is Edward missing, we are forced to suffer alone with all of Bella's emotions. Jacob is the lone bright spot in the book as we see him grow and thrive in Edward's absence. I'm sure the biggest negative to the book (it is the one I like the least) is the frustration over stalled relationship between Edward and Bella.

Melanie Cusick-Jones I think it's hard to get through for some people because you're in Bella's head and she's so unhappy - I've just read a short piece with a 'grief' period after someone dies and because you're in the grieving person's head it makes it hard work.

What I find strange is that even though generally I'd consider myself an Edward girl (for whatever you think of books versus film debate) - from New Moon film I'd pick Jacob and not just because of shirt ripping off :) but I feel like I see the 'healthier' side of the relationship more in the film than you do in the book - perhaps that's because you see the characters directly, without the filter of Bella's mind, whereas in the book you go along with her point of view and Bella doesn't really 'see' some things because she's so caught up in being unhappy.

For some the action may also be a little slow? Personally BD is my least favourite of the saga

Heaven Lane Bella annoys me so much through out this entire book (actually, the whole series). Bella and Edward's relashonship is seriously unhealthy. If they are trying to commit suicide the second they're apart... That's... weird, unhealthy, messed up and so many other things.

Yes, he dumped her. She has a right to be upset for a few days, maybe even a couple of weeks, but becoming so depressed that you can barley function for months ? No. There is something seriously wrong with with her.

Plus, I don't understand how she can go through all that "pain" then the second she starts talking to Jacob she's all better.

Bella is that girl who nobody can actually stand, because she freaks out about EVERYTHING . She's just your typical drama-queen.

Jade Molloy people generally hate this book because its the cliche romantic novel, the structure in which it is written seems less literary compared to a novel like bronte or dickens. some, also, dislike this book because their love for harry potter is strong and both these books are seen as enemies. in my opinion, i generally like this book and the way it is written because it allows readers to connect with the perspective it is written as it is from Bella's point of view.

message 9: by Aoibhinn (new) - added it

Aoibhinn Bella gets really really depresed and i don't think anyone would be like this so it is all very stupid. Personally I am team werewolf so i liked this book but it was very long and the sadness and depression was very stretched. for this book it took longer to read than the first one because i got bored and stopped reading for a while. Bella is a pretty annoying charachter because she moans at everything. No offense to the bella or anything but jacob is too good 4 her

Nazzy Oddly enough, this was my favourite book of the series.

Emily Liz Because everyone wanted Edward to be in the book and he was not, until the end. I didn't like it because he disappeared and the reason why we read the Twilight books was because of Edward.

Rindya I hate this book because is SO depressing. And there was some point that I wanted to throw this book away. I couldn't stand with Bella's depression, it dragged me down and I wasn't even depressed.

message 13: by Sɑnɗrɑ☼ (last edited Dec 22, 2011 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sɑnɗrɑ☼ I hated this book because it was so depressing. I didn't like seeing her sulking all the time and then Jacob was trying to cheer her up. Point is, Jacob just sucks and there was no Edward which made things BORING!

message 14: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori It just drags on..and on....and on.....and on...you get the point.

Emallie Magoon When i first read the series, and before i got sick of them because of the movies, i actually put New Moon down, well threw it against a wall and left it there, for probably a month when he left her, and then it just took forever for me to finish because i just couldn't get into it when all that happened was jacob, jacob, jacob, depressed, depressed,depressed.

message 16: by Sonia (new) - rated it 1 star

Sonia Jade wrote: "people generally hate this book because its the cliche romantic novel, the structure in which it is written seems less literary compared to a novel like bronte or dickens. some, also, dislike this ..."

Liking Harry Potter isn't a reason to hate Twilight. I hated Twilight and New Moon and I read them before I read Harry Potter, which I really loved. In my opinion, Bella is a terrible character, an atrocious person to read about. She's shallow and weak and relies on a man for everything. Nothing is right about her.

Lauraleigh Its boring, plain and simple

message 18: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Nunez Bella is whiny and a terrible character.
When Hermione lost Ron she turned to Harry for comfort. When Bella lost Edward she jumped of a cliff.
Great way to show women power. Thats one of the many reasons people hate this book and all the others!

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: I don't hate it but i felt it was this book that the series started going downhill. plus i got tired of Bella being so masochistic in this book. Not because of the thrill seeking but because she refused to talk out her problem. she didn't have to say anything about Edward being an vampire, just about how much she's hurting and all the pain bottled up inside.

message 20: by Eleanor (last edited Dec 27, 2011 03:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eleanor Jade wrote: "people generally hate this book because its the cliche romantic novel, the structure in which it is written seems less literary compared to a novel like bronte or dickens. some, also, dislike this ..."

I agree with this post, as I have two friends who are completely against the other's view. One of them obsesses over Harry Potter, while the other obsesses over Twilight. I definitely think there is a battle between the two series! Also, I think it's very interesting to see the saga from behind Bella's eyes, and even though she is quite depressed during this book, I still like it lots.

Mochaspresso New Moon is my least favorite of the series. I didn't like the way Bella completely fell apart after Edward left. I understand being heartbroken and depressed but she completely shut down. Edward demonstrated that he is really no better because of his suicide stunt with the Volturi. The novel showed the abnormal and unhealthy side of their relationship. I didn't find that "romantic" at all.

message 22: by Jill (last edited Dec 27, 2011 04:02AM) (new) - added it

Jill I like this book for all the reasons everyone else seems to hate it. I am not a big fan of edward, although i do understand that the heart wants what the heart wants. Loved Jacob, he is her sunshine and there are people out there that can make all your bad stuff go away. Jacob does that for Bella. He is my favourite character. He would of been the one for Bella in the natural order of things( if vampires didn't exist) he is a tortured character cause he knows he is better for her in the real world. Jacob is the whole reason I love this series, new moon and eclipse are my favourite characters, I do love a tortured soul! ( probably why I love Ann rice novels so muc I just thought I would point out that I am 29 and a mummy of two kids, I still remember what first love was like and you are hurt and you do feel like your life is over when a relationship ends, and you would do anything to here that persons voice again. I do not believe that Bella was trying to kill herself at any point in this book, yes she was doing stupid things, but riding a bike ( with Jacob) and cliff jumping( which all the other kids were doing too) in my mind does not make her suicidal. Yes she should of been more careful, but she was only doing this in the book because it gave her a little bit of Edward back, and she was getting better with the help of Jacob. Anyway that's my two cents. Everybody sees things differently. Good reading.

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna I love Jacob which is the only reason i kept reading the book. Bella annoyed the crap out of me. She just whined and moaned she had made edward her whole life and when he left she had nothing. How stupid could you be tom make all of your life about one person when your in a relationship you need to keep up strong friendships. The only redeeming thing about this book is that Jacob is a sweetheart.

Valerie I really don't understand why there are haters of these books. Sure, Bella might be weak and all, but she's not the only weak YA protagonist out there. And Edward, well he's not boring. He's just different. Also, all the characters make choices. Bella chose Edward, so I don't think people should constantly be abusing that choice.

Katrin (kitkatkathy!) No Edward of course......Bella + Jacob = GRRRRRR!!!!!!

message 26: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori The book drags on and i made myself finish it but then when i was done i thought it was a waist of time.

message 27: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori The book was just like a very sad Harry Potter book.

Emily (Falling for YA) I didn't like this book because I felt that Bella needed to get over herself. Who sits around and lets their entire life pass by because one person has chosen to leave. I just felt like she was being very unhealthy and her relationship bordered on obsessive. I really enjoyed the rest of the series though.

message 29: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Bella did not jump off the cliff so she could die, she jumped off because she promised Edward she wouldn't do anything stupid and reckless, then she found out that when she does do something dangerous she sees him. So, she just wanted to see him, and convince herself that he was real at some point, and not just in her imagination. Same thing with the motorcycles. I don't think it was a bad book, I thought it actually gave the reader a little clarity with the relationship between Bella and Edward. Given, I am not a humongous fan of the series, but I did like the books for their entertainment value, not necessarily for the war that ensued after the first book was released.

message 30: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Also, there is this joke that NEVER happened that says that J.K. Rowling wrote Stephanie Meyer to say that she wrote a better love story in one chapter than Meyer did in a whole series.
(The chapter about Snape and Lily.)

message 31: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Jennifer wrote: "Bella did not jump off the cliff so she could die, she jumped off because she promised Edward she wouldn't do anything stupid and reckless, then she found out that when she does do something danger..."
I totally agree, everyone goes on about how she is suicidal and its just not the case, it makes me angry when I read this. Especially when Stephanie Meyers gets attacked because of it. She is not saying it is okay to kill yourself if you get dumped for gods sakes, get over it. Ahhhhhh! Thanks I am glad I am not the only person to see this. (Frustration vented, I feel better now)

message 32: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Jennifer wrote: "Also, there is this joke that NEVER happened that says that J.K. Rowling wrote Stephanie Meyer to say that she wrote a better love story in one chapter than Meyer did in a whole series.
(The cha..."

That was a wonderful love story, snape is one of my favourite characters.

message 33: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Your welcome! I am glad you got to vent, and I am glad that someone else agrees with me. I liked Snape as well.

Kelly For me personally, I have to say I liked all the books but that New Moon, was my least favorite out of the 4. For me it wasn't so much that Edward wasn't there it was more like Bella one her own makes for a slower story. Yes I know Jacob is there but again the book doesn't really focus so much on him, more Bella's anguish at being left by Edward. It makes for slow reading and honestly not a very interesting story-line as you feel like you are sinking into the depression that Bella is in. In saying this, it is really some excellent writing to get you into that mind-frame by Stephenie Meyer.

message 35: by Kira (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kira new moon was my least favorite.
Hey i was ust wondering if some of you guys could take a look at my chapter in creative writing. I was bored so i put something together. So there's probably a lot of errors. Thx!

message 36: by Elsa (new) - rated it 1 star

Elsa I believe that all the books show that a woman needs to depend on a man to support and be there for her. Thats the top reason why I don't like it. Also, misinterperts vampires and the writing is atrocious.

Eleanor Alisonashley411 wrote: "I believe that all the books show that a woman needs to depend on a man to support and be there for her. Thats the top reason why I don't like it. Also, misinterperts vampires and the writing is at..."

I don't think the writing is atrocious, just that it's not as good as many other authors. I'm in secondary school, I know what atrocious writing is like!

Eleanor Alisonashley411 wrote: "I believe that all the books show that a woman needs to depend on a man to support and be there for her. Thats the top reason why I don't like it. Also, misinterperts vampires and the writing is at..."

I don't think the writing is atrocious, just that it's not as good as many other authors. I'm in secondary school, I know what atrocious writing is like!

message 39: by Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles (last edited Dec 28, 2011 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles people hate this book because the fans made them. if people stop going crazy and being obsessed, maybe people wouldnt resent reading it. to be honest, just by watching some of the fans, it kind of drove me away. i dont want to be an obsessed-crazed twilight fan!

Kataury I mainly didn't like it because Bella was acting like an exaggerating teenage masochist. And we are stuck with this suicidal character... for the whole book. I prefer a little more plot to my stories, but this novel was about her going through a mental breakdown and using Jacob as a rebound.

♥nafi~hateandbehatedon~♥ ;3 idk??? Kataury wrote: "I mainly didn't like it because Bella was acting like an exaggerating teenage masochist. And we are stuck with this suicidal character... for the whole book. I prefer a little more plot to my stori..."

your last part was totaly true but look at it this way we got to know jacob a lot better and we got to know why he is in the book at all. yep even i wish that edward was in the book a lot more but on the other part i loved that meyer kept him out there was always suspicion that maybe edward was pouf out and that jacob was in just my theiry but it did not happen did it did you think so too?

message 42: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I believe that a lot of people don't like this book because it is basically Romeo & Juliet for vampires. It is all mapped out from the beginning as they are studying it in school and the parallels are there throughout the movie & the book. He thinks she is dead so he tries to find a way to off himself too. Of course it has a happier ending, only because of the difficulty in killing a vampire, so Bella had time to make it to Italy to stop him.

Mariann I see the 4 books as one full story and don't really separate then in my head but if I have to pick a favourite, that's New Moon. I feel with Bella, I have been in a similar situation. It's kind of like grieving someone, when you think you have lost your love forever and your life is ruined, not worth living because all you can feel is pain, but you don't want to hurt the people who love you so keep going but feeling empty and zombie-like. I also like the way poor Jacob is suffering and the whole weird friend-love relation they have, how much they need each other. I think it's perfect. To be honest, I would have preferred if Edward stayed away forever and Bella learned to "live again" with Jacob at the end.

♥nafi~hateandbehatedon~♥ ;3 idk??? Sue wrote: "I believe that a lot of people don't like this book because it is basically Romeo & Juliet for vampires. It is all mapped out from the beginning as they are studying it in school and the parallels ..."

yep you see the big picture ! like i love romeo and juliet because i look at the smaller picture of love . but you look at the big of something that could but never will good for you!

Nicole I loved this book. I think it's my favorite of the series, but I know many people disagree. I didn't find Bella annoying. I felt something for her. So what if it's depressing? Love isn't easy. Things can't be happy all the time. If all of the books were happy adventures with Edward, people would complain that it's even more unrealistic than it already is. We all know SM isn't Shakespeare, but I think she does a good job of conveying the feelings of loss and hopelessness that Bella was going through, whether she's the best writer or not. I understand where people are coming from, they wanted more from the book, more substance, something other than Bella being depressed and bringing you down all the time... but New Moon is a fraction of the series. You have to look at the big picture. You will get more substance and action, you just have to wait until the next books. A lot of people don't think it's healthy for Bella to become so depressed over a guy... but hey, it happens. I'm not trying to look at Bella as a role model, so what do I care? I like books with emotion, where you can really relate to the pain someone is going through... and I feel that you can do that with this book if you've ever felt a huge loss like that.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

because it sucks...

Angelpsy too much narration... too less action.. and the thing with bella and jacob is just gagging..

Anneth Pe Collantes because bella is with jacob, haha, it sucks...

message 49: by georgia (new)

georgia  -ωαт¢н ɱє fℓу- I wouldn't say that I hated this book, but I did like it a lot less than the others. Mainly cos Edward is gone but because Bella is a big wimp in this book and I thought it was really slow paced

♥nafi~hateandbehatedon~♥ ;3 idk??? Georgia wrote: "because it sucks..."

no it does not part of it but not all?,,,!

« previous 1 3 4 5

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

New Moon (other topics)
Divergent (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephenie Meyer (other topics)