MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

2012 Individual Challenges > Caleb's 2012 Reading Challenges

Comments (showing 1-50 of 182) (182 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Caleb (last edited Dec 23, 2012 05:44PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments This is where I put my summary of all my 2012 challenges - the detail listings are below.

Indie Read Review Challenge

Classics Challenge

Genre Challenge

Series Challenge

Backlog Challenge

EDIT: Noting down challenge ideas for 2013.

1) Book Bonfire - burn through 12 books that I own in paperback and have not yet read.
2) Classic challenge
I think this year I'm going to be a bit more specific. I'm going to read 8 classics, but there must be:
- at least one Dostoyevsky
- at least one Wells
- at least one Verne
- at least one Dickens
- at least one Vonnegut
- 3 others that are not any of the above authors.
3) Indie challenge - read/review 34 indies (same as 2012)
4) Gimme the Prize - read 12 prize winners from any year (Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker, World Fantasy, Man Booker - pretty much any book prize including indie book prizes)
5) Short-cuts - read 100 short stories
I have a large assortment of short stories and challenges tend to focus on novel/novella length. Time to change that.

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments I'm going on page numbers for my overall challenge but there are a couple of others that have been bouncing around in my head:

- how many indie books I'll read/review in the year
- how many books I read in 2012 that I own at the end of 2011
- 6 classics to be read in the year (to pretend I'm cultured)
- genre challenge, where I have a list of a whole bunch of genres and try to read one book from each genre by the end of 2012
- series challenge, read x books that continue one or more of series that I've started prior to 2012, and I would like to start and complete at least one trilogy/series in 2012.

I think I would like to have fun with my challenges in 2012 rather than just concentrating on quantity

message 3: by Caleb (last edited Dec 30, 2012 06:02PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Caleb's Page Count Challenge

This challenge is to read over 21,000 pages during 2012. Novels, novellas and short stories count in this challenge.

Page count is calculated thusly:

- For a paperback/hardback I will take the page number for the last page of the story
- For electronic books I will take the page count as calculated by the Pagecount plugin available for Calibre

The List

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. 104 pages.

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn - Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. 340 pages.

Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter by Kathleen Valentine - Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter by Kathleen Valentine. 70 pages.

De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against The Zombies Of Armorica by Lucius Artorius Castus - De Bello Lemures by Thomas Brookside. 108 pages.

Loss by Glen Krisch - Loss by Glen Krisch. 108 pages.

Night Camp by L.C. Evans - Night Camp by L.C. Evans. 168 pages.

A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2) by Meredith Ann Pierce - A Gathering of Gargoyles by Meredith Ann Pierce. 284 pages.

Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist - Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist. 512 pages.

Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold - Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold. 317 pages.

Bangkok Burn by Simon Royle - Bangkok Burn by Simon Royle. 276 pages.

The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3) by Meredith Ann Pierce - The Pearl of the Soul of the World by Meredith Ann Pierce. 255 pages.

Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. 356 pages.

Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan - Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan. 521 pages.

Only Ever Always by Penni Russon - Only Ever Always by Penni Russon. 166 pages.

Work Of Art by John  Black - Work of Art by John Black. 418 pages.

Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin - Rocannon's World by Ursula Le Guin. 144 pages.

The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A.A. Logan - The Survival of Thomas Ford - by John A. A. Logan. 300 pages.

Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey - Wool (Omnibus Edition) - by Hugh Howey. 527 pages.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - The Remains of the Day - by Kazuo Ishiguro. 245 pages.

The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey - The Kult - by Shaun Jeffrey. 328 pages.

Pulchritude by Ana Mardoll - Pulchritude - by Ana Mardoll. 200 pages.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 - by Ray Bradbury. 165 pages.

Cthulhu in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - Cthulhu in Wonderland - by Kent Kelly. 160 pages.

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov - The Gods Themselves - by Isaac Asimov. 293 pages.

Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson - Speed Dating with the Dead - by Scott Nicholson. 348 pages.

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon - The Final Solution - by Michael Chabon. 127 pages.

Kraken  An Anatomy by China Miéville - Kraken - by China Miéville. 509 pages.

Diary of the Displaced - Omnibus 1 Parts 1-4 "The Journal of James Halldon" by Glynn James - Diary of the Displaced - by Glynn James. 223 pages.

Wired by Douglas E. Richards - Wired - by Douglas E. Richards. 352 pages.

Symphony of Blood  A Hank Mondale Supernatural Case by Adam Pepper - Symphony of Blood - Adam Pepper. 249 pages.

The Eternal Husband by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Eternal Husband - by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. 170 pages.

Turing Evolved by David Kitson - Turing Evolved - by David Kitson. 535 pages.

Usher's Passing by Robert R. McCammon - Usher's Passing - by Robert McCammon. 407 pages.

The Caline Conspiracy by M.H. Mead - The Caline Conspiracy - by M.H. Head. 212 pages.

Thin Blood by Vicki Tyley - Thin Blood - by Vicki Tyley. 265 pages.

Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) by Lian Hearn - Grass for his Pillow - by Lian Hearn. 368 pages.

Dead Men Don't Cry by Nancy Fulda - Dead Men Don't Cry - by Nancy Fulda. 212 pages.

The Tube Riders by Chris  Ward - The Tube Riders - by Chris Ward. 517 pages.

The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony Bertauski - The Annihilation of Foreverland - by Tony Bertauski. 294 pages.

Lovers and Beloveds by MeiLin Miranda - Lovers and Beloveds - by MeiLin Miranda. 422 pages.

Season Of The Harvest by Michael R. Hicks - Season of the Harvest - by Michael R. Hicks. 466 pages.

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - Shadow of the Wind - by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. 506 pages.

The Whitechapel Gambit by Marcin Wrona - The Whitechapel Gambit - by Marcin Wrona. 293 pages.

Pegasus Falling (The Cypress Branches, #1) by William E. Thomas - Pegasus Falling - by William E. Thomas. 348 pages.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad. 118 pages.

Gunwitch  A Tale Of The King's Coven by David Michael - Gunwitch: A Tale of the King's Coven - by David Michael. 300 pages.

Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu - Carmilla - by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. 112 pages.

Martuk... the Holy by Jonathan Winn - Martuk ... the Holy - by Jonathan Winn. 368 pages.

Clay's Way by Blair Mastbaum - Clay's Way - by Blair Mastbaum. 256 pages.

The Wounded King (The Martuk Series, #1) by Jonathan Winn - The Wounded King - by Jonathan Winn. 54 pages.

The Elder (The Martuk Series, #2) by Jonathan Winn - The Elder - by Jonathan Winn. 60 pages.

Heaven 2.0 by Scott Haworth - Heaven 2.0 - by Sam Haworth. 171 pages.

The Puppet Maker's Bones  (Death's Order, #1) by Alisa Tangredi - The Puppet Maker's Bones - by Alisa Tangredi. 274 pages.

We  by Yevgeny Zamyatin - We - by Yevgeny Zamyatin. 215 pages.

The Shopkeeper by James D. Best - The Shopkeeper - by James D. Best. 242 pages.

The Speed of Winter (Four Seasons quintet, #1) by B. Morris Allen - The Speed of Winter - by B. Morris Allen. 74 pages.

Martyrs & Monsters by Robert Dunbar - Martyrs & Monsters - by Robert Dunbar. 276 pages.

The Wayfarer King (Kinshield Saga, #2) by K.C. May - The Wayfarer King - By K. C. May. 290 pages.

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton - Ethan Frome - by Edith Wharton. 111 pages.

Sea of Crises by Marty Steere - Sea of Crises - by Marty Steere. 312 pages.

Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) by Lian Hearn - Brilliance of the Moon - by Lian Hearn. 396 pages.

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - Year of Wonders - by Geraldine Brooks. 304 pages.

Total: 17,379 Pages out of 21,000 (Progress 82.76%)

Note 1: At end of April, I added 258 as an estimation of pages read for short stories for 2012 until 30th April. I won't list all of these down, but for the record there were 19 short stories read in that time.

message 4: by Caleb (last edited Dec 31, 2012 10:57PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Caleb's Indie Read/Review Challenge

This challenge is to read and review 34 books by independent authors (3 per month Jan-Nov and 1 in Dec). Novels, novellas and anthologies count towards the goal with a minimum of 15,000 words required for the book to qualify.

If it is not known, I run and independent author review site called Papyrus: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/

The List

Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter by Kathleen Valentine - Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter by Kathleen Valentine. Review

De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against The Zombies Of Armorica by Lucius Artorius Castus - De Bello Lemures by Thomas Brookside. Review

Loss by Glen Krisch - Loss by Glen Krisch. Review

Night Camp by L.C. Evans - Night Camp by L.C. Evans. Review

Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold - Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold. Review

Bangkok Burn by Simon Royle - Bangkok Burn by Simon Royle. Review

Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan - Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan. Review

Work Of Art by John  Black - Work of Art by John Black. Review

The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A.A. Logan - The Survival of Thomas Ford - by John A. A. Logan. Review

Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey - Wool (Omnibus Edition) - by Hugh Howey. Review

The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey - The Kult - by Shaun Jeffrey. Review

Pulchritude by Ana Mardoll - Pulchritude - by Ana Mardoll. Review

Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson - Speed Dating with the Dead - by Scott Nicholson. Review

Diary of the Displaced - Omnibus 1 Parts 1-4 "The Journal of James Halldon" by Glynn James - Diary of the Displaced - by Glynn James. Review

Wired by Douglas E. Richards - Wired - by Douglas E. Richards. Review

Symphony of Blood  A Hank Mondale Supernatural Case by Adam Pepper - Symphony of Blood - Adam Pepper. Review

Turing Evolved by David Kitson - Turing Evolved - by David Kitson. Review

The Caline Conspiracy by M.H. Mead - The Caline Conspiracy - by M.H. Head. Review

Thin Blood by Vicki Tyley - Thin Blood - by Vicki Tyley. Review

Dead Men Don't Cry by Nancy Fulda - Dead Men Don't Cry - by Nancy Fulda. Review

The Tube Riders by Chris  Ward - The Tube Riders - by Chris Ward. Review

The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony Bertauski - The Annihilation of Foreverland - by Tony Bertauski. Review

Lovers and Beloveds by MeiLin Miranda - Lovers and Beloveds - by MeiLin Miranda. Review

Season Of The Harvest by Michael R. Hicks - Season of the Harvest - by Michael R. Hicks. Review

The Whitechapel Gambit by Marcin Wrona - The Whitechapel Gambit - by Marcin Wrona. Review

Pegasus Falling (The Cypress Branches, #1) by William E. Thomas - Pegasus Falling - by William E. Thomas. Review

Gunwitch  A Tale Of The King's Coven by David Michael - Gunwitch: A Tale of the King's Coven - by David Michael. Review

Martuk... the Holy by Jonathan Winn - Martuk ... the Holy - by Jonathan Winn. Review

Clay's Way by Blair Mastbaum - Clay's Way - by Blair Mastbaum. Review

Heaven 2.0 by Scott Haworth - Heaven 2.0 - by Sam Haworth. Review

The Puppet Maker's Bones  (Death's Order, #1) by Alisa Tangredi - The Puppet Maker's Bones - by Alisa Tangredi. Review

The Speed of Winter (Four Seasons quintet, #1) by B. Morris Allen - The Speed of Winter - by B. Morris Allen. Review

Martyrs & Monsters by Robert Dunbar - Martyrs & Monsters - by Robert Dunbar. Review

The Wayfarer King (Kinshield Saga, #2) by K.C. May - The Wayfarer King - By K. C. May. Review

Total: 34 Books out of 34 (Progress 100%)

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!!!

Sea of Crises by Marty Steere - Sea of Crises - by Marty Steere. {Review}

message 5: by Caleb (last edited Dec 07, 2012 08:08PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Caleb's Classics Challenge

This challenge is to read 6 class books in the year. In this case a classic is identified by the 'I'll know it when I read it' philosophy, but it probably wouldn't be too far removed from what would be thought of as a classic elsewhere.

The List

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 - by Ray Bradbury.

The Eternal Husband by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Eternal Husband - by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad.

Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu - Carmilla - by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.

Total: 6 Books out of 6 (Progress 100%)

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!!!

Extras:

We  by Yevgeny Zamyatin - We - by Yevgeny Zamyatin

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton - Ethan Frome - by Edith Wharton

message 6: by Caleb (last edited Dec 30, 2012 06:03PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Caleb's Genre Challenge

This challenge is to read 1 book for each of the genres mentioned in the list. This is just an attempt to get me reading a bit outside my comfort zone.

I will identify a book in a particular genre by using tags commonly associated with that book (eg. at Amazon, Smashwords etc..) If a book qualifies for more than one genre, I will choose one genre only for the purpose of this challenge.

The Genre List

Science Fiction
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan - Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan
Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin - Rocannon's World by Ursula Le Guin
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey - Wool (Omnibus Edition) - by Hugh Howey.
The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov - The Gods Themselves - by Isaac Asimov
Turing Evolved by David Kitson - Turing Evolved - by David Kitson
The Caline Conspiracy by M.H. Mead - The Caline Conspiracy - by M.H. Head
Dead Men Don't Cry by Nancy Fulda - Dead Men Don't Cry - by Nancy Fulda.
The Tube Riders by Chris  Ward - The Tube Riders - by Chris Ward
The Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony Bertauski - The Annihilation of Foreverland - by Tony Bertauski
Season Of The Harvest by Michael R. Hicks - Season of the Harvest - by Michael R. Hicks.
Heaven 2.0 by Scott Haworth - Heaven 2.0 - by Sam Haworth.
The Speed of Winter (Four Seasons quintet, #1) by B. Morris Allen - The Speed of Winter - by B. Morris Allen
Fantasy
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn - Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) by Lian Hearn - Grass for his Pillow - by Lian Hearn
Pulchritude by Ana Mardoll - Pulchritude - by Ana Mardoll.
Cthulhu in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - Cthulhu in Wonderland - by Kent Kelly
Kraken  An Anatomy by China Miéville - Kraken - by China Miéville'
The Whitechapel Gambit by Marcin Wrona - The Whitechapel Gambit - by Marcin Wrona
Gunwitch  A Tale Of The King's Coven by David Michael - Gunwitch: A Tale of the King's Coven - by David Michael.
Martuk... the Holy by Jonathan Winn - Martuk ... the Holy - by Jonathan Winn.
The Puppet Maker's Bones  (Death's Order, #1) by Alisa Tangredi - The Puppet Maker's Bones - by Alisa Tangredi.
The Wayfarer King (Kinshield Saga, #2) by K.C. May - The Wayfarer King - By K. C. May.
Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) by Lian Hearn - Brilliance of the Moon - by Lian Hearn.
Horror
Loss by Glen Krisch - Loss by Glen Krisch
Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist - Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold - Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold
Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson - Speed Dating with the Dead - by Scott Nicholson.
Diary of the Displaced - Omnibus 1 Parts 1-4 "The Journal of James Halldon" by Glynn James - Diary of the Displaced - by Glynn James
Symphony of Blood  A Hank Mondale Supernatural Case by Adam Pepper - Symphony of Blood - Adam Pepper
Usher's Passing by Robert R. McCammon - Usher's Passing - by Robert McCammon.
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu - Carmilla - by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
Martyrs & Monsters by Robert Dunbar - Martyrs & Monsters - by Robert Dunbar
Crime/Mystery
Work Of Art by John  Black - Work of Art by John Black
The Final Solution by Michael Chabon - The Final Solution - by Michael Chabon.
Thin Blood by Vicki Tyley - Thin Blood - by Vicki Tyley.
Suspense/Thriller
Bangkok Burn by Simon Royle - Bangkok Burn by Simon Royle
The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey - The Kult - by Shaun Jeffrey.
Wired by Douglas E. Richards - Wired - by Douglas E. Richards
Sea of Crises by Marty Steere - Sea of Crises - by Marty Steere
Romance (including paranormal romance)
Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter by Kathleen Valentine - Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter by Kathleen Valentine
GLBT
Clay's Way by Blair Mastbaum - Clay's Way - by Blair Mastbaum.
Erotica
Lovers and Beloveds by MeiLin Miranda - Lovers and Beloveds - by MeiLin Miranda
Western
The Shopkeeper by James D. Best - The Shopkeeper - by James D. Best
Literary or Non-genre
Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A.A. Logan - The Survival of Thomas Ford - by John A. A. Logan.
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - The Remains of the Day - by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Eternal Husband by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Eternal Husband - by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
We  by Yevgeny Zamyatin - We - by Yevgeny Zamyatin
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton - Ethan Frome - by Edith Wharton
Historic Fiction
De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against The Zombies Of Armorica by Lucius Artorius Castus - De Bello Lemures by Thomas Brookside
The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - Shadow of the Wind - by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
Pegasus Falling (The Cypress Branches, #1) by William E. Thomas - Pegasus Falling - by William E. Thomas
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - Year of Wonders - by Geraldine Brooks.
Young Adult
Night Camp by L.C. Evans - Night Camp by L.C. Evans
A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2) by Meredith Ann Pierce - A Gathering of Gargoyles by Meredith Ann Pierce
The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3) by Meredith Ann Pierce - The Pearl of the Soul of the World by Meredith Ann Pierce
Only Ever Always by Penni Russon - Only Ever Always by Penni Russon

Total: 12 Books out of 12 (Progress 100%)

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!!!

message 7: by Caleb (last edited Dec 23, 2012 05:32PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Caleb's Series Challenges

Part 1
In 2012 I need to read 3 books that are a continuation of a series that I started in 2011 or earlier. These can either be 3 books from one series or a scattering of sequels etc.. over multiple series.

This is to give incentive to complete things that I've already started.

Part 2
I need to start and finish a trilogy or series in 2012.

The List

Part 1
A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2) by Meredith Ann Pierce - A Gathering of Gargoyles: Book 2 from The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce.

The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3) by Meredith Ann Pierce - The Pearl of the Soul of the World: Book 3 from The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce.

The Wayfarer King (Kinshield Saga, #2) by K.C. May - The Wayfarer King: Book 2 from The Kinshield Saga - By K. C. May.

Part 2 - entire series counts as 1 book
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn - Across the Nightingale Floor: Book 1 of Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn.
Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) by Lian Hearn - Grass for his Pillow: Book 2 of Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn
Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) by Lian Hearn - Brilliance of the Moon: Book 3 of Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn

Total: 4 Books out of 4 (Progress 100%)

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!!!

message 8: by Caleb (last edited Dec 30, 2012 06:05PM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Caleb's Backlog Challenge

This challenge is to read at least 10 books in 2012 that I owned at the end of 2011.

This is to help the stop accumulating and start reading initiative.

The List

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn - Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn.

De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against The Zombies Of Armorica by Lucius Artorius Castus - De Bello Lemures by Thomas Brookside.

A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2) by Meredith Ann Pierce - A Gathering of Gargoyles by Meredith Ann Pierce.

Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist - Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold - Northwoods Deep by Joel Arnold.

The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3) by Meredith Ann Pierce - The Pearl of the Soul of the World by Meredith Ann Pierce.

Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan - Verdant Skies by Steven Lyle Jordan.

The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey - The Kult - by Shaun Jeffrey.

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon - The Final Solution - by Michael Chabon. 127 pages.

Total: 10 Books out of 10 (Progress 100%)

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!!!

Extras:

Kraken  An Anatomy by China Miéville - Kraken - by China Miéville.
Usher's Passing by Robert R. McCammon - Usher's Passing - by Robert McCammon.
Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) by Lian Hearn - Grass for his Pillow - by Lian Hearn
The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - Shadow of the Wind - by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) by Lian Hearn - Brilliance of the Moon - by Lian Hearn.
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - Year of Wonders - by Geraldine Brooks.

message 9: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Wow! Very impressive!

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Thanks Mrs J. It will be more impressive if I actually meet my targets though. :)

message 11: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments I have faith in you!

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Just looking at my genre challenge, I'm going to need a bit of help coming up with a good erotica/romance read to fit.

These really aren't my genres of choice and I know we have some expert readers in these categories. ;)

If you have any advice for the best/most classy (does that word even apply?) example of these genres feel free to chime in.

I'm wondering if for romance I should actually pick paranormal romance as it's more likely to interest me than an everyday garden variety romance.

Additionally, if you think there are any genres in the fiction world that you think I've missed, feel free to offer your suggestions. I've tried to keep the genres top-level rather than including every sub-genre, but it's not 100% strict.

message 13: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 576 comments Jerry, who is a member both here and at MR, may have a few suggestions for you. He's been adding books to his "to read" shelf, like crazy!

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments OK - second book down. I've owned the Tales of the Otori books in paperback for quite a while. They were given to me as a gift. So I'm trying to start and finish this series during 2012.

There are three books in the trilogy, a fourth and a prequel. I'm skipping the prequel and the fourth for this challenge as this definitely was a trilogy.

Next will be my first indie read/review for 2012. Yay!

message 15: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments What do you mean by "classy?" Tell me what kind of stuff you like. It really depends based on your personal preference - the genre is HUGE.

One of my favorite short stories last year was Unlocked it is a historical but its far from smut. ;-)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Actually Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter could definitely be considered a ghost story/romance. It's only a novella, but I don't have any page count limitations.

I'm just trying to work out whether I should include it for the romance genre or find another book.

As for "classy", I was having a bit of a dig.

I'm not sure how I'd stomach a novel that was purely romance - nothing but acts followed by reminiscences of those acts, followed by wishful thinking about possible future acts, followed by realisations of those fantasies in new acts, followed by reminiscences.....if you know what I mean.

I would like something that could definitely be classified as a romance but has a decent storyline outside of said romance.

Does that make sense?

message 17: by desertblues (last edited Jan 10, 2012 05:10AM) (new)

desertblues I just started Possession by Byatt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessi...
I think it has romance, but it seems to have a good storyline as well. The writing is elegant. Did you read it? Perhaps that is something for you?

desertblues Miranda Glover's Masterpiece is very nice as well.
http://www.fictiondb.com/author/miran...
It is about an artist who puts herself up for sale at Sotheby's. It has some romance in it and a good plot, and also nice to learn some more about the artworks she represents. :)

message 19: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Dang it!! I had a whole post full of recs for you, Caleb and it got eaten. :-(

message 20: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments I'll have to start over again...

message 21: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (last edited Jan 10, 2012 07:59PM) (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Romance/Literature: The Lady and the Unicorn -it's...different. It is a romance but not the typical romance - like the girl with a pearl earring it is based on a series of artwork. A tear jerker for me.

Romance/action: Agnes and the Hitman - So funny! I love it! I wrote a review of it. BTW, not erotica.

Historical: One of my FAVE historicals is Devil's Bride. Total romance - no real outside story, also humptastic.

Erotica PNR (m/f) : My favorite PNR is Dragon Bound. It's cute and funny but the story is more focused on the relationship - that being said...PNR always has some action and/or chase scenes. Wrote a review.

Erotica PNR (m/m/f):More than a Bargain. It's hardcore erotica so...be prepared. Also it is m/m/f and not m/f/m. Very interesting world building for a PNR.

Erotica Sci-Fi (m/f): Brianna - this is tongue in cheek funny towards romance tropes. It's also cheesy, but on purpose. I find it funny but without being totally aware of over-used romance tropes you might not get all the inside funnies. :-D Still funny none the less!

Erotica Contemporary (m/f/f): La Bonne I've not read a lot of m/f/f that was decent. This is the BEST one that I've read. I also enjoyed the way it was written...the narrator is completely nameless throughout the entire book which is not normal in romance. I think I'm going to re-read this one this year so that I can write a review. Or maybe not, lol!

desertblues Ouch...excuse Caleb; I didn't get that you were asking for classy erotica!
sorry, sorry

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Hey desertblues - no problem. You had some great suggestions for romance. Along with some of Mrs J's recommendations I have some stuff to look at. Actually - I've always been interested in Byatt so that might be worth a look.

Thanks Mrs J also - you have some erotica there that I'll check out. I've got a bunch of m/m erotica that I collect when free but never get around to reading. They are also an option, but m/m romance and/or coming of age I'll reserve specifically for my GBLT genre.

I also need to check out my eLibrary collections for romance/erotica as it's always better not to pay than to pay (in a manner of speaking).

message 24: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments oh! I forgot. More than a bargain actually starts as a short story here: Howl.

message 26: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments I like your review but I think I won't be inclined to read that book. I'm not too partial to those types of endings.

I read a erotic novella, Not Quite Casper: an Aether Vitalis Short Story, that your review reminds me of. It was...creepy (to me).

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Not relating to my challenge, but I just awarded the inaugural Papyrus Independent Fiction Award (2011) to The Door to the Sky.

See the posting here: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/01/21/the-2011-papyrus-independent-fiction-awards/

It's also the birth of of new graphic that I hope winning authors will be happy to post on their site(s):
2011 Papyrus Independent Fiction Award

Good luck to all independent authors I review over 2012.

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments And...just posted my review of Loss.

Read it here: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/01/22/loss-by-glen-krisch/

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Another update and although it looks like I'm flying, the fact is that I'm reading some pretty small books at the moment. The page count tells the story.

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Just posted my review of Night Camp.

This is a tribute review to author L.C. Evans who passed away on January 11th of this year.

Read it here: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/01/24/night-camp-by-l-c-evans/

message 32: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments I like the review, Caleb!

I really like the idea of having books prepared for the younger generation. My co-workers are always looking for kid recs and I'd bad with that. Now I have one!

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments OK - finished A Gathering of Gargoyles which is book 2 of The Darkangel trilogy.

At the end of Jan, I'm doing well in some challenges, but my overall page count challenge is behind due to most of the books being rather small.

message 34: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Caleb wrote: "OK - finished A Gathering of Gargoyles which is book 2 of The Darkangel trilogy.

At the end of Jan, I'm doing well in some challenges, but my overall page count challenge is behind ..."

*gasp* My favorite vampire story EVER!

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Thought you'd comment on that one Mrs J. :)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Well - Harbour is finally complete. It was 512 pages which is a bit bigger, but it felt really really long.

It wasn't because it was bad - I really liked the book. But it slowly weaves its story based on a patchwork of back stories told at various points of the present action.

Happy to jump back in to an indie though. Northwoods Deep is next cab off the rank.

message 37: by Caleb (last edited Feb 11, 2012 02:58AM) (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Just posted my review of Northwoods Deep. I thought it was good as a horror.

You can check out what I thought about it here: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/02/11/northwoods-deep-by-joel-arnold/

Some aspects of my challenges are going pretty well at the moment. The only one of concern is the page count challenge at this stage. Everything else seems to be going to plan.

message 38: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Caleb wrote: "Just posted my review of Northwoods Deep. I thought it was good as a horror.

You can check out what I thought about it here: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/02......"

I didn't know you read horror, too. You might be interested in Jason White - he's a GR debut indie author who writes horror. I've read one of his shorts - it was a mild one cause I'm a wussy and he knows it. ;-)

I've not read anything else but since you specialize in indies...

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Just finished The Pearl of the Soul of the World. Great closer for that trilogy.

Most of my challenges are going quite well in these early days. I believe I will romp through my backlog challenge at least. Maybe I made it too easy.

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Just posted my review of Bangkok Burn. Action! Action! Action!

You can check out if I kept up with this thriller here: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/02/21/bangkok-burn-by-simon-royle/

message 41: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments oooh, Caleb...do me a favor. Please put feedburner or something on your blog. I'd appreciate it. :D

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

If you just need a standard XML feed, try http://papyrus.calebblake.net/feed/ in whatever you're using.

message 43: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Christa wrote: "If you just need a standard XML feed, try http://papyrus.calebblake.net/feed/ in whatever you're using."

I'm confused...lol!

Does this mean I'll get an email?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

No, if you have a RSS app or browser plugin or Google news or similar, that's the link used to set up a feed of new posts. I thought that's what you needed.

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Oooh - all these suggestions and I have no idea how to put any of them together. I'm such a noob when it comes to the world of blogging.

I finally got Google Analytics on the site recently so I can have confirmation on how unpopular I really am.

So we're looking for RSS feeds and email alerts etc..? New things to learn about. :)

Don't forget to use the social media buttons on the reviews themselves. I'm happy for the word to spread - like a virus. My hit rate is god-awful at the moment. I've really got to get onto the Kindle boards at Amazon and start spreading the disease.

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Loosheesh wrote: "I have this app on my Google Chrome browser that I use to easily grab feeds.

Though our tastes are wildly different, I like reading Caleb's reviews; they're just so articulate and fair. When I gr..."

Thankyou for that - that's such a lovely thing to say.

Feel free to say that publicly in as many places as possible. :)

You know, one of the reasons I started this blog was that I wanted to practise my writing a bit more. I think I may have a book or two in me and I wanted to see if a regular commitment to writing might actually get me excited about developing my own ideas into something that I can pretend is palatable to others.

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Finished Tender Is the Night. Still struggling a bit with my page count challenge. I was supposed to read another 2 books before the end of Feb. Now I'll be lucky to fit in one.

Oh well - onwards and upwards.

message 48: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Caleb wrote: "Finished Tender Is the Night. Still struggling a bit with my page count challenge. I was supposed to read another 2 books before the end of Feb. Now I'll be lucky to fit in one.

Oh we..."

You are also reviewing...which takes some time out of reading.

I think you're doing great!

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 402 comments Actually had dinner with Simon Royle this week which was why I had to get my review of Bangkok Burn complete in time so that he could read it beforehand. :)

There's a man who still has several books left in him. Quite inspiring really. I'm almost ready to start on my first novel as a result of meeting him.

message 50: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 1832 comments Caleb wrote: "Actually had dinner with Simon Royle this week which was why I had to get my review of Bangkok Burn complete in time so that he could read it beforehand. :)

There's a man who sti..."

Oooh!

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Time Machine (other topics)
Across the Nightingale Floor (other topics)
Ghosts of a Beach Town in Winter (other topics)
Unlocked (other topics)
Dragon Bound (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jason White (other topics)