MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

2012 Individual Challenges > Nyssa's 2012 Reading Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 214) (214 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Dec 09, 2012 11:32AM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Series:

A. Dresden Files ~ Completed 4/27/12
Dresden Files Challenge
Dresden Discussion Thread

B. Rachel Morgan/The Hollows
The Hollows Challenge
Hollows Discussion Thread

C. Honor Harrington ~ On Hiatus
Honor Harrington Challenge
Harrington Discussion Thread

D. Black Dagger Brotherhood ~ Currently Reading
Black Dagger Challenge
BDB Discussion Thread

E. Percy Jackson

message 2: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Apr 27, 2012 05:36AM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Book Clubs: [4.27.12 - This part of my 2012 challenge is officially over, as I've only read 1 selection this year, so far, and I already know that I will not be reading the selection made for May. I will now only post any MRBC selections I actually read, instead of listing all of them.]

The Mobile Read Book Club

January (Runner Up): Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse Progress/Review

message 3: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Dec 09, 2012 11:32AM) (new)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

First!!!
(If you look at the other 2012 threads so far, you'll see we've sort of made a game of this. Naturally, I will delete this if you wish. :-) )
:-)

message 5: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Christa wrote: "First!!!
(If you look at the other 2012 threads so far, you'll see we've sort of made a game of this. Naturally, I will delete this if you wish. :-) )
:-)"

Yeah, I've seen the shenanigans (am I even old enough to use that word !?!) you all have been pulling in the other threads! LOL

I'm just happy I got my main posts up, first. The rest, as they say, is gravy (or icing, depending on your mood) :D

message 6: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments Dang it! Christa beat me to the punch, lol!

message 7: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Dang it! Christa beat me to the punch, lol!"

Yeah she pounced pretty quickly! LOL! I was completely out of the loop, but I'll be ready next time "Hee Hee Hee" :D

message 8: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments LOL!

message 9: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments lol!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL You all just made me snort coffee. :-)

message 11: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 437 comments Good luck on the book club reads. I can't be dedicated enough to that club as I'm always put in the position of having to buy the book or even worse, not being able to buy the book.

I consider it one of the disadvantages of being in Australia - lack of e-library content available and geographic restrictions.

Does your challenge include participating in the discussions? :)

message 12: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Dec 29, 2011 07:37PM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Thanks Caleb.:)

I'm sorry geo-restrictions get in the way!

I will make an effort to participate in the discussions, even if its just to offer a "yay" or "nay" on the book. How involved I get will depend on the amount of free time I have, and how strongly I feel about the story.
I'll be going back to work(part time) shortly after the new year, (for the first time in 11 years), so who knows how things will go.

message 13: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Jan 01, 2012 09:01PM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Completed my first progress update of 2012! Let the fun begin...

message 14: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Thank you, Desertblues. :)

message 15: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments It was a little bit of this and a little bit of that today. I read a few more pages of Black Rain and I'm currently reading the very long intro to The Iliad.
I was hoping to have Black Rain finished before even tackling The Iliad (thinking I had until the 9th to start it) but the group read discussion starts on the 9th and will cover the first 6 books. Including the Intro and the Preface, that's almost 200 pages to read in 7 days, on top of Black Rain. I have my work cut out for me, especially seeing as Winter Break is over and its back to school tomorrow.

message 16: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments I've decided to give up on the intro, skip the preface and just read the books, starting tonight. If I can read one book a night I should be ready for the 9th.

message 17: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Here is the Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts: Let's talk about The Iliad thread. All are welcomed.
The Pope translation (which I have) seems to be one of the least liked, so Hamlet53 pointed out a version by Samuel Butler, available at MR (but in LRF format). I will be converting it to MOBI and reading that translation instead.

message 18: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments *shamed face* I typically avoid the MR bookclub. Most of the books feel like being in class all over again. *sigh* I'm the worse, lol.

message 19: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments I like that its a different genre (almost) every month.
The group reading of the Iliad, however, is a bonus.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote: "*shamed face* I typically avoid the MR bookclub. Most of the books feel like being in class all over again. *sigh* I'm the worse, lol."

You're not alone. And I am so thankful that I belong to this group, where I can admit that and not be judged for it. :-)

message 21: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Blake (Caleb72) | 437 comments I like the book club, but I am pretty picky about what I participate in and what I don't.

Personally I think the worst part is the incessant arguing about how it should be run. The books are mostly pleasant in comparison. ;)

message 22: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Ok, NOW I'm set!! I went back and counted all of the books from the series & book club selections in my challenge. I think I have it right this time. I originally had more, but decided to remove the books that are not out as yet, since I probably won't be getting any of them on the day of their release. That makes 80 challenge works and 20 open/bonus works.
OCD strikes again!

message 23: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 1752 comments Nyssa wrote: "Ok, NOW I'm set!! I went back and counted all of the books from the series & book club selections in my challenge. I think I have it right this time. I originally had more, but decided to remove th..."

Throws a brick from his glass house. 'Shouldn't you be reading?' :)

message 24: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Umm reading? Oh yeah! Reading!!! I knew I was forgetting something. :)

message 25: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments desertblues wrote: "I admire all the organised challenges over here; those beautiful lists.
I used to read series; lots of detectives and some fantasies as Anne Mc Caffrey or Donaldson.
As this year is my first chall..."

I did the same thing last year. I wasn't sure what all I wanted to read, I just wanted to read more than I had been.

message 26: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Finally finished my first book of 2012! Yay! :)

message 27: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 1752 comments Congratulations on getting number one out of the way.

message 28: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Finished Storm Front about an hour or so ago. Will get back to The Iliad next, with an attempt to read chapters 3 to 12 by the end on the weekend.

message 29: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments I put The Iliad aside and continued/continuing with Dresden. What can I say, I love a wizard with a cool trench coat and a big staff!! :D
I enjoyed my reread of Fool Moon and am immediately moving on to Grave Peril, which will be a first time read, for me.

message 30: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Jan 20, 2012 03:28PM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments I updated my challenge earlier, but got all caught up in the rereading issue and forgot to make my post here.

Now, I'm trying to find something to read in order to give myself a bit of a break from Dresden. Preferably it will be a stand-alone, light and maybe even funny. Free would help too since I need to wait and see if I have to purchase the book club selection from MR.

message 31: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments Nyssa wrote: "I updated my challenge earlier, but got all caught up in the rereading issue and forgot to make my post here.

Now, I'm trying to find something to read in order to give myself a bit of a break fro..."

I so know what you mean...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Ditto. I was supposed to be reading right now, but between the re-reading stuff, the Amazon stuff and my Facebook issues I've been doing a lot of stuff ABOUT books but not actually reading. It's Friday evening - I should be reading and relaxing! :)

message 33: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Exactly!!

message 34: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments I have a glass of wine and now I am going to write this danged review before starting on a new book.

I'm also plucking my way through bits and pieces of Contexts For Criticism. It's good but a little harder than I remember.

message 35: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Best of luck with the review!

message 36: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Just read a ridiculous short story called Franks, Rolls, and Beans.

message 37: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Decided to finish Pencils Make Good Darts. I was so caught up in Summer Knight, I forgot about it. It was an amusing read.

message 38: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Finished Summer Knight and I loved it! Trying to decide if I want to go straight into Death Masks or tackle the MobileRead book club selection, Tender is the Night, first.

message 39: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments You know, we really should start putting up the bookclub books here...

message 40: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 1752 comments I vote for Death Masks. I'm boycotting this month's Book Club selection.

message 41: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "I vote for Death Masks. I'm boycotting this month's Book Club selection."

lol!

I vote for death masks, too.

message 42: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Jan 31, 2012 03:56PM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Homeinmyshoes wrote: "I vote for Death Masks. I'm boycotting this month's Book Club selection."

Oh? Why, if you don't mind my asking....

I think I'll read both. I'll start TITN and use Death Mask for my "breaks"... Of course, there is a very good chance I'll be sucked in and forget about TITN until I'm done with DM.

We'll see.

message 43: by HomeInMyShoes (last edited Feb 01, 2012 02:53AM) (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 1752 comments I'm boycotting mainly because romance isn't a genre I read (I know I should broaden my horizons) and it isn't a book that interests me. If I am going to dip my feet into a genre I don't normally touch, I want it to be indicative of the genre and not a Classics Mafia selection. I know I'll get myself in trouble there, but discussion is discussion.

Romance, Humor and Classics are four months that I was exceedingly doubtful I would read this year. I read lots of Classics already, I want other stuff as well.

message 44: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Feb 01, 2012 02:05PM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments I get tired of the constant "Classic" selections as well. As you may know, I hate that we're stuck with 2 months of classics on top of having to deal with classics in every other genre, but as usual I've been shouted down whenever I mention it. I honestly believe that some of the voting is personality based (meaning voting with or against the people involved) instead of topic based, but that's just my 2 cents.

message 45: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 1752 comments It's why all votes should be hidden in my opinion. I don't think we're getting what people will actually read as a result yet. Look at The Chinese Maze Murders. That vote was very heated, very close and it seems to me with the actual participation in the discussion that many people voted when they had no intention of reading the book. To me, you vote because you want to read a book. I didn't vote in Romance because there wasn't anything that I would definitely read within the next two months. I didn't vote in the poetry one either because none of the selections was screaming at me to read. I still think Romance is a valid month to have as it's got a large following and a large section in most bookstores.

Romance selection years of publication: 1934, 1908, 1936.

message 46: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments This is why I refuse to get involved with the bookclub. It seems like too much and too dramatic.

message 47: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 1752 comments ^I stay involved because it's another way I can find books to read. Plus, it's going to make a great novel some time.

message 48: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2590 comments True. But I have you guys to tell me about that great novel without me getting stuck reading the other stuff....

;-)

message 49: by Nyssa, Series Addict (last edited Feb 05, 2012 08:37PM) (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Finished Dresden Files book 5 - Death Masks, and the "Publicity and Advertising/Vignette" short story tonight.

message 50: by Nyssa, Series Addict (new)

Nyssa | 814 comments Finished Blood Rites! Can't wait to see what happens next, but I'm afraid it won't be good....

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Black Rain (other topics)
The Iliad (other topics)
Contexts For Criticism (other topics)
Pencils Make Good Darts (other topics)
Franks, Rolls, and Beans (other topics)
More...