Scott County Readers discussion

The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Outcasts
Pig Skulls - SCPL book discussion for boys

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Dec 16, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

Melissa (Frigate) | 44 comments Mod
While the Pig Skulls may be restricted to boys grades 3 - 6, here in Goodreads Land all are welcome to discuss this title. Have you read this and what did you think of it? What makes this a great book?

Pig Skulls will meet January 22 at 2:00 p.m.

Mike Key (PigSkull) | 6 comments What makes it a great book? John Flanagan wrote it.

He's the best YA writer out there! "Suzy Q" Collins, Hunger Games, is a mere keyboard hacker compared to Flanagan. Collins v. Flanagan = hype v. substance.

Mike Key (PigSkull) | 6 comments Had one of the best Pig Skull father/son book discussions yesterday afternoon at Scott County Library. Boys grades 3-6 and their fathers discussed John Flanagan's first book in his Brotherband Chronicles--The Outcasts. Terrific book about Viking-like Skandian boys learning how to work together as brotherbands aboard Skandian raiding ships.

Pig Skull boys really enjoyed discussing the nuances of "stinky Skandians smelling worse than a villager's overripe goat."

It's hard to believe that the Pig Skull Book Club will be five years old next month. I've had and do have a great bunch of boys and fathers.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Frigate) | 44 comments Mod
That's great Mike! I have to chuckle at the "smelly" discussion though. Boys! (and I don't necessarily mean the little ones!)

Mike Key (PigSkull) | 6 comments Book two in the Brotherband Chronicles--The Invaders, due out May 1, 2012. Can't wait!

http://www.amazon.com/Invaders-Brothe...

unread topics | mark unread