Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Stonewielder (Malazan Empire, #3)
This topic is about Stonewielder
Malazan Book of the Fallen > Stonewielder- Prologue and Part I "The Sea"

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie K | 944 comments Mod
and Wow! It's time again for a new Malazan!

Today we start off with Stonewielder, ICE's third installment in the Malazan world.

Once again we are in a whole new land, with a largely unknown cast, but right off the bat we can see how the Wall was created to defend this land from the Stormriders

Then we catch up with Greymane and Kyle, who are apparently under the belief that they can anonymously start up a school and remain undetected!

Let's see how long that lasts! lolol

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments Looking forward to this, I have heard all about how ICE's written has changed over the books so looking forward to seeing that.

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments I am really enjoying this style of writing. ICE really has devolped well over this series, I love that he is now bringing more humour into his characters.
The new ones already show promise, suth,lard and dim should be fun, and it looks like ICE will carry on the tradition of strong female characters in Yana.

I am not engaged yet with the storm wall part of the story, never have been, so hoping that side of the story gets interesting enough, with Iron Bars there, it should do.

Very interesting on Rool with fat, lazy tyrannical ex Malazan soldiers ruling the roost. Looks like Ipshank and Manask will cause mayhem, developing Ipshanks story regarding his Thoughts on the gods reminded me about Felesin the younger, she was gathering the unwanted and ratting up with debauchery, haven't heard where her story went to. Yet.

message 4: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Did you noice Blues and Janath at that other port? Her ears really perked when she heard Iron Bars was on the wall.....

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments Yep did notice that, she left in a hurry eh? I can imagine a bit of a rescue mission coming up. I don't think they stated who else was being held at the wall, just that Bars wouldn't leave his men behind.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments oh look who is here, Jhevel, he can only be one person. Some one with a perverse use of olive oil.

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments Well, look at that. Nok and Greymane leading an assault together as commanders.
Who would have thunk it.

Looking forward to the team of 4 reaching the wall to rescue Bars, That should be an interesting tale to tell.

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments I am really liking Suth, what a great character. He is so aware of his surroundings and his short comings, his ability to adapt to the current situation is great to see. Wess has just proven himself to being more than he lets on. This group of heavies with Dim and Lard are really interesting. I think it is all going to end in tears for Pyke though, he has that mentality that you just know isn't going to end well.

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments Sigh......... and then there was one.

The irony, I finally catch up to the group read and I am the only one left.

message 10: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

no..you are ahead of us all! lmao

take abreak for a day or two...lol

message 11: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments Well getting 3 new Xbox games should allow for everyone to catch up.

message 12: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

hehehe-what do you think my problem was re gatting behind! A little thing called Skyrim!

message 13: by Stuart (new) - added it

Stuart (Asfus) | 15 comments Maggie wrote: "hehehe-what do you think my problem was re gatting behind! A little thing called Skyrim!"

Skyrim is good. I am about 80% of the way through...

message 14: by Stuart (new) - added it

Stuart (Asfus) | 15 comments Lee wrote: "Well getting 3 new Xbox games should allow for everyone to catch up."

Got two X Box games so far and a PS3 game..

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments Well I finished book 1 and am impressed with the quality of ICE's writing, he has developed over the series. I have enjoyed book 1 very much and it has set up for a great book 2.

Modern warfare and battlefield 3 should allow me some alternate diversions.

message 16: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am really enjoying the Suth parts too Lee. I think he is going to be quite interesting. Some of these characters Im sure will end up being people we thought disappeared earlier!

and Kiska! We finally know a little more of her story as well....

message 17: by Stuart (new) - added it

Stuart (Asfus) | 15 comments Lee wrote: "Well I finished book 1 and am impressed with the quality of ICE's writing, he has developed over the series. I have enjoyed book 1 very much and it has set up for a great book 2.

Modern warfare an..."

Got Saints Row The Third, Batman Arkham City and Rage on X Box. Also Infamous 2 on PS3.

message 18: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

You know, I have to say this Sea Battle with the Mare is really well-written. I'm not that big on naval battles, but I am finding myself all caught up in it....Rillish is very much full of surprises, he seems to really have imagination and luck on his side!

message 19: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments I thought it was interesting in the double standards of Devaleth. She was mortified when she realized that the moranth were going To use munitions during the fighting. I think she said something like "....and you consider yourselves civilized". Yet sinking every ship they come across and drowning thousands was not uncivilized. I think that there really shows how scary the munitions were to other nations.

I actually like the way IcE has developed Kiska during this book, her personality shows through quit well. I am still not sure what role the Lady of Dreams plays in all of this.

message 20: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am liking Suth and his squad too...you know they arent all going to make it, and it will be interesting to see how it unfolds...

Ivanr is interesting too. I hope he finds that little boy again...

message 21: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finaly finished this section! Yay me! I feel like I am a lot more invested in this one than I was in RotCG

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments You finally finished the section, and I finally started it. I'm about 140 pages in now. I find it very interesting how all these characters and stories are blending together in my mind. Reading about Kiska again is one example. To me it just seems like she's been part of the story in whole, when she really was only introduced in ICE's books. I wonder if she was ever mentioned in SE books when Tayschren was around.

message 23: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 389 comments I certainly do not remember her being mentioned in SE books. I think that her character is developing well in this book, her cynical view of the claw, her enjoying remembering the comforts of home and her determination to do the job she was supposed to do is well written.

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments Hey gang!!! For some stange reason I didn't get any notifactions about this discussion thread?? Totally weird!!

Firstly, LOVE LOVE LOVE Skyrim!!! I've been playing since it came out!!! Truth be told, it feels like I'm in the middle of one of SE novels when I'm playing it!!

Second, I started Dust of Dreams already because I don't have my copy of Stonewielder (my sister has it)!! :(

Thirdly, Lee I told you this was ICE's best book, didn't I!!?? :) You can see ICE maturing and giving us MORE details!! :P So I really CAN'T wait for Orb to come out!!! :)

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments I've finished this section now. Crazy sea battle against Mare. (I keep thinking this is a funny name for a sea-going people because I think of horses and they just don't do well on water. LOL!)

I need to tell my brother your thoughts on Skyrim. He's been playing it like crazy too. Maybe that would motivate him to read Deadhouse Gates sooner.

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "I've finished this section now. Crazy sea battle against Mare. (I keep thinking this is a funny name for a sea-going people because I think of horses and they just don't do well on water. LOL!)..."

You're right about Mare, hadn't thought about it like that when I read it!! LOLLL.... nice catch Amelia!!

Skyrim can be very addictive, so I've only allowed myself to play on the weekends, that way I can get my reading and chores done!! :) Do tell him that if he read more of SE he'd see to similarities!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stonewielder (other topics)