Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

General Discussions > What Are You Reading Right Now? ( Hwæt béon ðu bocrædung?)

Comments (showing 201-250 of 6,280) (6280 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Linda (new)

Linda (ladylawyer8650) | 1318 comments THE GUARDIANS OF STAVKA: THE DEADLY HUNT FOR ROMANOV GOLD by Robert Egby, Smashwords edition. I just completed this free e-book and found it entertaining, well written, good plot and good writing mechanics. For sixty years a group of Russians hid Tsar Nicholas' treasures in Canada. For those years, no one knew of the groups' existence for any person going to Stavka could never leave. The Tsar's subjects gave their lives guarding the treasure. The UK, USSR and US raced to retrieve the treasure when knowledge of its existence became known through an auction of some other Romanov treasure. A book about the Romanov dynasty is always a good read because of the mystery surrounding their demise. Good read.

message 202: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

message 204: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

message 205: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments I am reading Outlaw by Angus DonaldOutlaw and The House of Medici  Its Rise and Fall by Christopher HibbertThe House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall both of which are turning out to be pretty good.

message 206: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Does Outlaw feel YA at all? I was under the impression that it was.

message 207: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments Nope, not in the least YA. It might be considered a good good YA read as the main character is only 13 in this book but the series seems like it will follow him as an adult too and not just as a teenager. It's not pulling any punches or using small words to appeal to the younger audience.
It's definitely not the Robin Hood of the feel good movies, he's a real outlaw. When it says 'meet the godfather...' that is really what he's like.

message 208: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Funny you mention Godfather, I read a review on it (a negative one) where the person said somewhere in the back half of the book it is nearly a scene by scene rip off of The Godfather. It is hard to imagine a Robin Hood book having a Godfather feel. lol!

message 209: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

message 210: by Jim (new)

Jim | 50 comments Terri wrote: "I am reading a war non fiction currently.
Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood"

How are you liking it?

message 211: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Loving it. I am really connecting with this guys leadership ethos. I am only 40 pages in though.

message 212: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Are you liking it Jim?

message 213: by Jim (new)

Jim | 50 comments Terri wrote: "Are you liking it Jim?"

I'm almost done. Compared to the last book I read on the Iraq conflict, this one is a work of genius. I'm loving it too.

message 214: by Jim (new)

Jim | 50 comments This guy accepts responsibility and I get the sense he's utterly truthful. Great character sketches.

message 215: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Yes, his honesty is fascinating. I love that about him. This guy is a great role model for not only experienced officers (because I don't think they can ever stop learning from others), but also any young soldier aspiring to become an officer.

I wonder if he does many speaking jobs for the military..
He would make an excellent mentor too.

I think you'd go a long way to find a better officer and leader.

message 216: by Bobby (new)

Bobby (bobbej) | 950 comments Just starting Cloud Atlas

message 217: by Jim (last edited Apr 17, 2012 06:23PM) (new)

Jim | 50 comments Terri wrote: "Yes, his honesty is fascinating. I love that about him. This guy is a great role model for not only experienced officers (because I don't think they can ever stop learning from others), but also an..."

I think your feelings will only be solidified the further you go in the book. I only have a couple of small criticisms, one of which I'm sure you'll share with me. I'll keep it to myself until we both finish.

message 218: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Yes, no telling yet! I have heard it said there is a rift that appears between grunt and leadership, further in the book but I don't want to know yet. :)

message 219: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Bobby wrote: "Just starting Cloud Atlas"

That sounds trippy and hippy, Bobby. lol :)

message 220: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1 comments Russka: The Novel of Russia i enjoy Edward Rutherfords Books this is the one I'm reading now and can give it a good recommendation,

message 221: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (Majkia) | 3 comments Hi. I'm new here.

Currently reading Dissolution by C.J. Sansom.

message 222: by Linda (new)

Linda (ladylawyer8650) | 1318 comments Hi to you too! Welcome to the group.
I am adding DISSOLUTION to my to read list.

message 223: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1104 comments Hi! I've been able at least to read
The Last Templar
and I really enjoyed it. So much that I've already purchased the second book, which is what I'm reading right now.
I read also
The Marsh King's Daughter
by Elizabeth Chadwick, an author that Terri mentioned in this thread. It was good and well written, but a bit too romanced for my tastes. Was it the best book from this author, I was wondering? I'd like to try again. Any suggestion?

message 224: by Bobby (new)

Bobby (bobbej) | 950 comments Reading Doxology by Brian Holers

message 225: by Linda (new)

Linda (ladylawyer8650) | 1318 comments I read THE GREATEST KNIGHT and liked it. I cannot tell you if it is better than the THE MARSH KING'S DAUGHTER because I have not read any other of her books.

message 226: by Julie (new)

Julie (GrandmaJulie) | 7 comments Outlanderthis is my first time to read this particular author and I have found her to be a great story teller, witty, very knowledgeable...I'm hooked

message 227: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments I'm gonna try out The Last Templar sometime this month. I'm taking it on vacation so I hope I enjoy it.

message 228: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Russka: The Novel of Russia i enjoy Edward Rutherfords Books this is the one I'm reading now and can give it a good recommendation,"

Hi Rosemarie,
Let us know what you think of Russka when you're done. I didn't like his Sarum book, but the Russka book always catches my eye.

message 229: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited May 01, 2012 02:25PM) (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Simona wrote: "Hi! I've been able at least to read
The Last Templar
and I really enjoyed it. So much that I've already purchased the second book, which is what I'm reading right now.
I read also
The Marsh Ki..."

Yes definitely romancy. I find all her books romancy. I read some of them when I was first trying to find historical fiction books...before I joined the library and in my early days on GR....they fulfilled the requirement then, but I am a different reader now so I don't know what I would make of those books I read years ago..nowadays.
I remember liking
The Champion.
And The Greatest Knight, while I haven't read it, is well liked.
I think no matter which you try, you're going to be knees deep in love story. Some more so than others.

message 230: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Julie wrote: "Outlanderthis is my first time to read this particular author and I have found her to be a great story teller, witty, very knowledgeable...I'm hooked"

That Outlander series, boy, does it hook people. I wanted to try the first book one day just to see what the fuss was about..I have to admit though...the books are LONG. Lol...I get turned off by all the series being so big. I go for that in my non fiction, but usually not in my fiction. :-)

message 231: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Jean wrote: "Hi. I'm new here.

Currently reading Dissolution by C.J. Sansom."

Welcome Jean. :-)

I reaaly liked the atmospheric feel of Dissolution.
I read it on two windy, rainy days and it was a perfect match for the feel of the book.

message 232: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 69 comments I just finished The Fifth Servant set in the Jewish quarter of 16th century Prague. Great details about the place and Jewish custom, but I was a little disappointed with how overwhelmed the story got at times by the information he had researched. An interesting book in any case. Here's my review.

message 233: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments The Fifth Servant looks pretty interesting, added it to my TBR.

message 234: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Hi Judith,
Nice to see you in the group. :)

I haven't look to see if this book has been mentioned in our Jewish Thread...I'll go look.

message 235: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1104 comments I know I said that I found Chadwick too romanced, but Outlander...well, I'm addicted to that one. WithVoyager it is my favorite.
My suggestion is to stop at Drums of Autumn. I wish you to enjoy them as I did.

message 236: by Julie (new)

Julie (GrandmaJulie) | 7 comments People of the Book this was actually quite well written, please try it if you like this kind of historical fiction, there is a Jewish connection

message 237: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments I have People of the Book but I haven't read it yet. I have heard good things about it and look forward to reading it.

message 238: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Simona wrote: "I know I said that I found Chadwick too romanced, but Outlander...well, I'm addicted to that one. WithVoyager it is my favorite.
My suggestion is to stop at Drums of Autumn. I wish you to enjoy th..."

And there I was today, when I was posting to you, thinking, I wonder if I should recommend the Outlander series to Simona. lol Even though I hadn't read it before most woman love the series, or at least the first book.
Low and behold, :) you've already read it and love it!

message 239: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 16267 comments Julie wrote: "People of the Book this was actually quite well written, please try it if you like this kind of historical fiction, there is a Jewish connection"

Good recommendation, Julie. A Pulitzer prize winner!

message 240: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 69 comments Terri wrote: "Hi Judith,
Nice to see you in the group. :)

I haven't look to see if this book has been mentioned in our Jewish Thread...I'll go look."

I don't know how I missed this group. Ancient HF is my favorite to read and review. I'm thrilled to have found all of you and join in discussions.

message 241: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments And we're thrilled to have you.... :)

message 242: by Linda (new)

Linda (ladylawyer8650) | 1318 comments Welcome, Judith.

message 243: by Monet (new)

Monet | 24 comments Hey there, I just joined this group today. I'm currently reading (finishing) "Worth Dying For" By Gemini Sasson

message 244: by Monet (new)

Monet | 24 comments Terri wrote: "Does Outlaw feel YA at all? I was under the impression that it was."

I loved the entire Outlaw series...I've read them all more than once.

message 245: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments Nice to have you on board Monet. We do request that you put in the links for any books mentioned in your posts if possible. It can be a little time consuming on the tablets but it's much easier for the rest of the memebers to check out what you're reading. :)
Thsi is the link for the book you mentioned Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy, #2) by N. Gemini Sasson

P.S. We have a thread dedicated to how http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... or you can ask. Everyone will be happy to help.

message 246: by Monet (new)

Monet | 24 comments Oops...thanks for that.

message 247: by Linda (new)

Linda (ladylawyer8650) | 1318 comments Welcome, Monet. WORTH DYING FOR sounded so familiar. Mr. Lee Child had written a book by the same title which I read. I added the Gemini Sasson book to my to-read group.

message 248: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4489 comments Our fearless moderator Terri is a stickler for links, just so you know. :)

I'm the friendly forewarner so she doesn't have to break out the boxing kangaroo to whip us into shape. :D

message 249: by Monet (new)

Monet | 24 comments Linda wrote: "Welcome, Monet. WORTH DYING FOR sounded so familiar. Mr. Lee Child had written a book by the same title which I read. I added the Gemini Sasson book to my to-read group."

The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy, #1) by N. Gemini Sasson

I actually think the first book in the series, Crown in the Heather, is a better overall story.

message 250: by Monet (new)

Monet | 24 comments Dawn wrote: "Our fearless moderator Terri is a stickler for links, just so you know. :)

I'm the friendly forewarner so she doesn't have to break out the boxing kangaroo to whip us into shape. :D"

I appreciate the heads up. I'm all for saving the group alot of mental eye rolling because the new girl didn't read all the directions. I'm also quite sure I'm allergic to kangaroos...