Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Ereader users, how do you pick book format?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Castle | 104 comments I recently acquired a Kindle, although it was a Christmas gift and I haven't gotten to use it yet. If you have an ereader, how do you decide what books to buy in ebook format and what to buy in print? Do you have a system or do you end up buying both formats depending on the book?

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) I had to get used to reading on my Kindle before I could make meaningful choices. I do find that straightforward narratives & simple mysteries work best for me. More complex literature I often buy in both formats.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (Demiguise) | 97 comments When I started out, I concentrated on getting things I read often, in order to save wear and tear on my print copies, or things that had gone out of print. I used to buy most of my books from Borders, but now that it's gone, I get a few from Amazon (the local B&N really doesn't carry much in the way of selection). I'll continue a few of the series I have in print, and anything that has photographs/complex illustrations, but I think the bulk of my future purchases will be for my two Kindles.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3 comments Now that I have a Kindle, I read 99% digitally. If the book turns out to be a top favorite of mine that I think I'll want to read again and again, I'll buy it again in physical format. I like seeing my favorites on a shelf because they're a visual reminder of why I liked them so much.

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Dec 20, 2011 01:58PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I have an ereader, although an off brand (from Borders) not a kindle. So anything free from Amazon I have to read on my Kindle for PC software. I have ebooks, but free ones. I still find them too expensive to buy. I also rarely buy new books for the same reason. So I still buy mostly paper because I can get them used for 50 cents to $1 each. I use my ereader for stuff that's available only in that format. (At this point, I have enough free ebooks to read that I havn't had to actually purchase any yet.)

message 6: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I have a Kindle and I usually buy my ebooks from Amazon although if I do find the book I want cheaper on another site I buy it and convert it to mobi with Calibre (I have a plug-in to remove the DRM protection) so I can read it on my Kindle.

message 7: by Lilian (new)

Lilian | 3 comments I have both a Kindle and a Kobo and I find that I've been reading almost exclusively on those because it's both much cheaper to buy electronic books, and much more convenient (reading a 1000 page book while hanging off a strap in a bus... not so much).

I find myself buying the same number of books, but since the cost is less, I spend more on art books and graphic novels than I used to.

message 8: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 326 comments Series books I want to own the paper book but singles seem to fit my Kindle. Can't explain my logic.

message 9: by Becomingme (new)

Becomingme | 15 comments Books that have a lot of illustrations I tend to like in a printed form...esp of they are already large format books (bigger than 5"X9" size). Those tend to be art books, how to, and like my last purchase:

"The Hobbit" The Hobbit

Otherwise, I go with ebooks. (I have a Nook first edition and a Nook Tablet, we use the tablet mostly for magazines and night-time reading)

message 10: by Deb (new)

Deb | 8 comments Reference books are in paper because they're easier to browse, but fiction is almost always electronic now. Of course I still have a lot of paper books on the TBR pile, which I'm trying to work my way through!

message 11: by Destiny (new)

Destiny (destinytwilliams) | 39 comments For me, if the ebook is cheaper than the physical book, I'll most likely buy it. I'm all about price. If I really love a book, I'll probably buy it in a hard copy anyway.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Ellie wrote: "I have a Kindle and I usually buy my ebooks from Amazon although if I do find the book I want cheaper on another site I buy it and convert it to mobi with Calibre (I have a plug-in to remove the DR..."

Where did you find the plug in? I have an ereader but stuck reading free kindle books on my pc.

message 13: by Jenilynn80 (new)

Jenilynn80 | 1 comments personally, i use my Nook for the "brain candy." anything i refuse to pay full price for, im getting it on my Nook. That, and there's sometimes good deal on inexpensive and free stuff out there that i download into PDF form. Some things, i will always buy in paper. i cant imagine reading Pride and Prejudice in anything but paper (i tried ereading it, but it wasnt as fun). so, that's my two pence worth.

unread topics | mark unread