The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > National Book Award 2008

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura (apenandzen) The National Book Award finalists have been announced - here's the link:

http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2008.html

Has anyone read any of these?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments nope. I haven't even heard of most of them!

Atishay | 1451 comments Same here.

Laura (apenandzen) Me neither, but I was hoping we'd find someone who had. Lori?

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8494 comments Mod
Wow, nope. Never heard of em, but I am sure once I have some time to browse them, I will be adding a few to my To Buy list :)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) I haven't even heard of these titles.

Carrie (missfryer) | 454 comments oh crap! I've never heard of any of these either! I recognized one of the authors.

Fiona (bookcoop) Me neither... until now that is. :/

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Oh...I'm so glad I'm not the only one!
Have not heard of any of them...

Carrie (missfryer) | 454 comments added some to my tbr list!

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments The library has a couple of the fiction nominee's and one of the non-fiction one's. I'm not really interested in any of them though...oh well.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read any. Carrie & Lori when you read some let us know your thoughts.

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments I'm familiar with Aleksandar Hemon, Peter Matthiessen, and Marilynne Robinson, but I have yet to read any of their books.

I really want to read:

Nowhere Man by Aleksandar Hemon

At Play in the Fields of the Lord by Peter Matthiessen

and

Gilead and Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

I'll probably read those before I pick up the newest books...although, I've been eyeing Shadow Country by Matthiessen for a while now.

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments I never heard of any of those titles.

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments The new National Book Award short-list titles, or the ones I listed?

Darla (isishalo1) | 576 comments Haven't heard of any of them either :(

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments I have never heard of any of those (the NBA finalists).

message 18: by JG (The Introverted Reader) (last edited Nov 09, 2008 09:40PM) (new)

JG (The Introverted Reader) Home is the follow-up to Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. I started Housekeeping by her and I was bored out of my mind. I never finished it. But she's supposed to be a Big Deal in literary circles, I believe. Gilead is still on my tbr, but I don't know if I'll ever work up the nerve to start it.

I've never heard of any of the others, but I'm going to check them out and see if there's anything on there for the tbr!

Rachel Kushner is on there and she's a GR author.

As is Kathi Appelt.

Jane Wow. For once I can say that I have. Usually I'm in your guys' boat and clueless about the books and authors that won.

Aleksandar Hemon's The Lazarus Project. I really enjoyed it, but I tend to dig anything from/by/about Eastern Europeans, though the protagonist (and Hemon) are Bosnian. I like them, too. It's a story about a Bosnian living in the United States and doing research on a man named Lazarus Averbuch. Averbuch was an immigrant who lived in turn-of-the century Chicago and was shot by the chief of police, when Averbuch mysteriously visited him at his home. Hemon writes the story of how Averbuch's sister dealt with the event (fictional I presumed) while also telling the story of the protagonist, who draws parallels between both his and Averbuch's bewildering experiences as immigrants in America.

Wow, that was longer than I meant to be. It's a good read. I recommend it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lazarus Project (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Kushner (other topics)
Kathi Appelt (other topics)