Comfort Reads discussion

General > Holiday Comfort Reading

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane | 5 comments Do you have any recommendations for comfort reads that are set at this holiday time of year? I'm not thinking heavy Christmas or Christian stuff, but generally set in this winter period. I'm in need of some good, wintery holiday reading!

message 2: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Diane, you could check out the books I have on my Polar shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/... I have not read them amll so I cannot say which are "comforting". all I can say is that thy are set in a polar climate.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) If you feel like some irreverence there's always Skipping Christmas which for some reason I got quite a kick out of.

I'll try to think of others less Christmas related.

Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) (Darkpool) | 222 comments Skipping Christmas sounds like fun, Lisa, AND it's in the library! Woohoo!!

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments A Christmas Carol is a favorite of mine, too. I just finished an audio version of it narrated by Jim Dale.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Darkpool wrote: "Skipping Christmas sounds like fun, Lisa, AND it's in the library! Woohoo!!"

I had a blast reading it.

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments I'm currently reading Miracle on Regent Street and it definitely is very wintery/Christmasy and comfort-y so far :-)

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1 comments I always re-read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It never fails to make me laugh! I also read it aloud to any child who will listen.

message 10: by Diane (last edited Dec 14, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) One that I love for December is The Cat Who Came for Christmas; you probably need to be an animal lover to enjoy it ... but Cleveland Armory (RIP) the author, is a delight. This is a true story and book 1 in a trilogy.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, yes, I remember this book! I don't know if I've read it, but it is supposed to be very good.

message 12: by Diane (last edited Dec 14, 2011 05:49PM) (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Jeannette wrote: "Oh, yes, I remember this book! I don't know if I've read it, but it is supposed to be very good."

Hi Jeannette! I have all 3 (they are from the 80's) and they are all signed - I treasure them and the time I met Cleveland Armory in Boston at the reading and signing.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

He was a newspaper columnist, wasn't he? I think I have some clippings from way back when, if I remember correctly. It's always exciting to meet an author.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Yes, I *think* he was a journalist, can't remember, but he did alot for animals later in life and founded The Black Beauty Ranch. He was also a self-proclaimed curmudgeon :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

A little bit from an online bio:

Amory, meanwhile, remained a journalist, giving social commentary on NBC-TV's "Today" show from 1952 to 1963; he was also a critic for TV Guide from 1963 to 1976. His Saturday Review column ran for 20 years, through 1972, and was a senior contributing editor for Parade magazine from 1980 until his death. In addition, he presented a daily radio essay, "Curmudgeon at Large."

His time on the Today Show is a bit early for me, but his column probably ran in the paper, and I probably read his reviews in TV Guide.

message 16: by Diane (last edited Dec 14, 2011 06:15PM) (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) LOL, and look at the radio essay "Curmudgeon at Large" :) And here is a clip on The Black Beauty Ranch and the Fund for Animals: http://www.fundforanimals.org/ranch/a...

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Diane D. wrote: "LOL, and look at the radio essay "Curmudgeon at Large" :) And here is a clip on The Black Beauty Ranch and the Fund for Animals: http://www.fundforanimals.org/ranch/a..."

That place is so good. I like the "curmudgeon at large" ;-)

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments I've also heard good things about The Legend of Holly Claus

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Nancy wrote: "I always re-read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It never fails to make me laugh! I also read it aloud to any child who will listen."

I love that one, too, Nancy. It's also out in picture book form, which I have on order from Amazon for my granddaughter's Christmas.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments A sweet little Christmas read that I enjoyed a couple of years ago with a goodreads group is A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 112 comments Nancy wrote: "I always re-read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever..."

Oh my goodness. I remember reading that in middle or high school. While I seem to have forgotten everything about it, it elicits lots of warm fuzzies so I'm guessing it's one I enjoyed. I think I need to pick up a copy and reacquaint myself.

message 22: by Maude (new)

Maude | 479 comments Kathy, I read that Fannie Flagg book, too, and I really enjoyed it, also. I also ended up using it for one of the challenges.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished reading"It Happened One Christmas." 3 romantic, heartwarming stories by authors Susan Wiggs, Nancy Warren, Jule McBride. I really enjoyed it. There are intimate scenes in them, if you need to know, which I thought were tastefully done. Even though it is not the holiday season,still a nice book to read.

message 24: by Diana S (new)

Diana S I love Christmas books!
Here my list:

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 'Tis The Season A novel by Lorna Landvik The Christmas Basket by Debbie Macomber The Sound of Sleigh Bells A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country by Cindy Woodsmall White Christmas Pie by Wanda E. Brunstetter

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) A favorite Christmas book of mine is:

The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory. Animal lovers will love it. It is a true story, and not sad!

message 26: by Manybooks (last edited Nov 06, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

Manybooks I just read a really sweet and lovely longer picture book (with a Christmas theme) written by one of my favourite Canadian authors, Margaret Laurence, The Olden Days Coat (where a young girl puts on an old coat and goes back in time, actually meeting her own grandmother and helping her find a lost Christmas present in the snow).

And even now, like Nancy, one of my favourite Christmas reads is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

message 27: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) It's funny; I never realized that none of the books I usually read at Christmas are Christmassy. It used to always be The Lord of the Rings - I tried to time it so I was near the end on Christmas - and lately it's been Anne of Green Gables. One year it was one of the Jeeves and Woosters... Joy in the Morning, iirc. I guess at that time of year (THIS time of year! Yikes) I'm looking more for the feel of a book and not the specific setting.

message 28: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3959 comments Mod
Gundula, that book sounds super familiar. I must have read it as a child. I'm going to check it out again.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished "The Secret Christmas Ciphers" by Carolynn Carey The Secret Christmas Ciphers by Carolynn Carey
This Historical,Regency, Christmas, Romance is set in Buckinghamshire, England, 1813. A smart heroine by the name of Abigail is in an arranged marriage with Derek Melton by their fathers request. This is in agreement to buy Derek a place in the royal army by his father. This is fine for Abigail as he will be away most of the time. Abigail had a crush and deep love for Derek since they were children. And when he went away to school, he asked her to wait for him. Until after a long time she learns he is engaged, only to have Derek's fiance die right before their wedding. Hurt, humiliated and angry, she agrees to the marriage for convenience only. Now she can't tolerate the man she is married to. Although Derek acts as he feels the same for her he still has feelings for Abigail. They arrange that each will be gone away to another one of thier homes when the other is there. This is a story of love, forgiveness and even intrigue and suspense with sometimes a bit of humor. It was a lovely Holiday read.

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finshed "The Lawman's Christmas Wish" by Linda Goodnight. The Lawman's Christmas Wish (Alaskan Bride Rush, #6) by Linda Goodnight
Linda Goodnight always has such loving, forgiving and inspirational books. This is no exception to that rule. I laughed at "Chief Weed" and cried as the love, forgiveness and coming to know Christ came together in this book. A beatiful Holiday romance.

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished "Forever Christmas" by Christine Linxwiler Forever Christmas by Christine LynxwilerA great Holiday Romance about a woman who is independent, determined and finds love and forgiveness. A great Holiday Read.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just started reading "A Simple Amish Christmas" by Vannetta Chapman A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just started "Visions of Sugar Plums" by Janet Evanovich Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5) by Janet Evanovich

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Finished "The Christmas Star" The Christmas Star by Diane Darcy by Diane Darcy
Was a nice holiday romance novella. It was predictable but sweet and heartwarming. It's nice to see the forgiveness in families and with each other. I cried at the end. A nice Holiday read.

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments I tend to think most of my comfort holiday reading would be picture books. There is just something about those illustrations that do the trick.

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished "Visions of Sugar Plums" by Jant Evanovich. There are cookie fights, more cars blowing up, plastic Santa's being melted, and trees exploding. And Grandma Mazur has a new studmuffin. Except someone has stolen her teeth. And Stephanie has only 3 days until Christmas.
I laughed until I cried...again. Its a short story, but has all the heartwarming charm, laughter and sexual tention as in all the books. I always think it can't get any better, but I am constantly proven wrong. I would definitely recommend it. Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5) by Janet Evanovich

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just started " A Gift For All Seasons" by Karen Templeton in paperback
A Gift for All Seasons by Karen Templeton

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) A Simple Amish Christmas
If I could give this book more than 5 stars, I would. I thought it was a very heartwarming,touching and inspiring book.It is very realistic, and very educational regarding the Amish famlilies and how they intersect with the "English" world but keep to their own lifestyles.There were times it brought tears to my eyes. It's a beautiful family orientated book and wonderful holiday read.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

It sounds good, Becky!

message 40: by Becky (last edited Nov 29, 2012 06:23PM) (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished "The Christmas Catch" The Christmas Catch (Holiday Brides #1) by Ginny Baird
Christine White lost her husband in Afghanistan two years ago and now lives in Chicago with her son Tyler. Her boss and best friend is sending her to Vermont to re-energize and spend time with her son. Bachelor, professor John Steadman is satisfied with climbing the ladder in his own career. Christine almost runs John off the road with her car in a storm on her way to the house. The two form a friendship.
I thought it was a sweet, wholesome, Holiday Romance story. The ending made me cry.

message 41: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3959 comments Mod
Becky is really on a roll with the holiday reads! I don't think I've ever tried reading Christmas books at this time of year. Maybe I should!

message 42: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) I love Christmas books as the ultimate comfort reads. I have a few favorite authors/ books. Let me post some favorites, sorted by author.

Donna VanLiereThe Christmas Blessing

The Christmas Shoes

The Christmas Hope

message 43: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) The Donna VanLiere Christmas books are feel good books.

message 44: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) Another author that I enjoy around the holidays is Richard Paul Evans.
Some of my favorites by this author are:

Richard Paul Evans

Lost December: A Novel

Grace

Finding Noel

The Christmas List

All of these books by Richard Paul Evans, I rated 4 or 5 stars. He tells a good story and prompts a bit of reflection on the meaning of Christmas.

message 45: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) This is a very funny book by Dave Barry. It would be most appreciated by someone who has participated in or attended a children's Christmas pageant.

The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog

Shelf: holiday, humor, fiction

message 46: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) Debbie Macomber usually publishes a Christmas book every year. I definitely prefer her Christmas books that were written in the past 10 yrs. (vs earlier works).

A couple of my favorites are:

When Christmas Comes

Christmas Letters

Debbie is a good storyteller with a big heart.

message 47: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) I have read 2 Christmas books by Greg Kincaid. Christmas with Tucker I rated 4stars. It is a prequel to A Dog Named Christmas which I was not as fond of, but that is subjective. Both books are about a boy named Todd, who is in need of a dog.

message 48: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) My favorite Christmas book has already been mentioned. Skipping Christmas is very funny. I could so relate to the story of the middle age adult parents who decided to leave town and skip all of the traditional activities at home and in the neighborhood.

To me the movie version was a disappointment (just my opinion), but the book had me laughing out loud which is pretty rare for me.

message 49: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) This afternoon I read a short novella that was a kindle special for 99 cents.

The Christmas Grandma Ran Away from Home.

Grandma Sharon is 72 yrs. old and tries to retire from hosting Christmas dinner for one year, but her family is unwilling to relieve her of this tradition. This is a quick and easy read, as Grandma goes on her adventure.

As the hostess of my family holiday meals for 20+ years, I could relate. This was definitely a comfort read and a nice bit of escapism, leading into the holidays.

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Cupid's Christmas by Bette Lee Crosby on Kindle and
The Christmas Thief (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #9) by Mary Higgins Clarkin paperback

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Christmas Carol (other topics)
A Child's Christmas in Wales (other topics)
Skipping Christmas (other topics)
Miracle on Regent Street (other topics)
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Donna VanLiere (other topics)
Richard Paul Evans (other topics)
Debbie Macomber (other topics)