The Power of One (The Power of One, #1) The Power of One question

We can have a discussion here
Karne Helgason Karne Dec 10, 2011 11:56PM
Hey guys, I think we can look at having a blog discussion where you have to post to the blogs. Will do it here or on Moodle. What do you think?

I loved the book, having been born in Southern Rhodesia, I experienced some of the brutality described. I couldn't help falling in love with little Peekay, who didn't have a racist bone in his body. This book gave a sense of hope. In Tandia, the sense of hope is lost.

I am not sure it was meant to be life changing as it was meant to be informative, thought provoking, and provide periods of understanding the psyche of a young boy surrounded by racism, superstition, kindness, ignorance and still emerge as a decent young man with the capacity to change lives for the better. Peekay experienced a lot of sadness, and goodness as well. He could have been a bitter person. Yet we experience him performing extraordinary acts of kindness that give hope to us as human beings.

Jenni Boyd I totally agree with you Paula and I believe that was the message Bryce Courtenay was trying to portray to his readers.
May 10, 2013 02:58PM

DocHolidavid (last edited Nov 20, 2012 10:32PM ) Nov 20, 2012 02:45PM   0 votes
If The Power of One was a western written first person and like One's protagonist told of his great intelligence, fast draw, and exceptional pugilism it would be printed in a no. 10 font paperback, sold for $1.98 and considered a junk novel.

This is a simple minded read, with a thin plot and a self-possessed central character.

I would not rank it as a great literary accomplishment but apparently I'm in a minority.

This is one of my all-time favorite books. I loved how Bryce Courtenay developed his characters, and I didn't see the end coming at all. When I went to Australia to visit relatives, I discovered there was a sequel called Tandia. Has anyone else read it?

Jenni Boyd Yes, it was good, not as good as the power of one, but still worth reading all the same. You might need a box of tissues though.
Dec 16, 2012 04:25PM

The Power of One is one of my all time favourite books. Whenever I suggest it to readers they end up loving it as well. I won't see the movie I promise!

Belle (last edited Aug 27, 2013 12:55AM ) Aug 27, 2013 12:38AM   0 votes
I read this book about 15 years ago. This is what I remember of it. I thought Power Of One was a very cleverly written book given the subject matter. In the respect that he left many judgements to the readers themselves. I cannot explain what I mean by that, if you have read the book the sentence will explain itself. I was able to see the landscape's he described so vividly as I lived in this part of South Africa (Barberton)at one time. The Professors cactus garden and his relationship with PK was very real to me and the the visits to the crystal cave all equally evoked strong nostalgia. Bryce Courtney lived in South Africa before moving to Australia so I would not expect it to be any other way. A brilliant author who did his very best to put over the story. The hatred that prevailed between the races at the time was accurate and the cruelty that children are capable of toward one another accurate as well as the abuse of the authority within the systems. A few years ago I read White Thorn by Bryce Courtney, which is a very similar story to Power Of One. I think it was an easier read though. I so enjoyed reading White Thorn. I did find in Power of One some sections of the book 'hard going' until the story line started to flow again. I saw the movie to Power of One after reading the book and was sorely disappointed. The movie fell dramatically short of the book. I gave my 15 year old son the Power of One to read shortly after I read it and somehow it made a reader out of him.

This was my first Bryce Courtenay book, I loved it so much it compelled me to buy more of his books. Was disappointed with the movie though & wondered how Bryce Courtenay felt about the changes they made. Watched his last interview before he died, he was an amazing man, also humble, my heart goes out to his family!

Lissa (last edited Apr 25, 2013 12:27PM ) Apr 25, 2013 12:26PM   0 votes
i have read the short version and am reading the full version but its great
5 star

Smart Idea, I think that will be a good thing to do as homework and see what everyone's opinion on The Power of One is.

I very much enjoyed this book. I listened to the audible version and it was superb. I also listened to Tandia, which I did not like as much. After listening to the Power of One, I liked it so much that I bought the book for my "keeper" shelf. I thought it did an excellent job of showing the layers of South Africa during apartheid.

I decided to read this book for one of my challenges and I wouldn't push it on anyone else. It was between ok and good. Too much boxing for me and not enough culture which is what I was going for. I did love the ending though.

No it was life changing, but still a valuable read. I think that Four Fires affected me more.

It was fine. But not life changing. At least, not my life.

It's tempting to want to watch the movie, but it sometimes can ruin books.

I agree with Charles about the power of one. I found this novel a very good read it did make me cry at points yet it did not make a big change in me as a person.

I do feel that had I been in a position of assumed power in anyway maybe it would make a change in the thoughts I have but being a person who comes from a multi-racial background I have a hard time with changing myself with novels around what was was.

deleted member Jul 12, 2012 04:04AM   -1 votes
Watched the movie, if you get the opportunity to see it, DON'T! It. Is. Bad.

Though the book was a really good read, read it in year eight (young readers edition so don't know if that makes a difference?)the characters are really unique. :)
})i({

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Power of One (other topics)
Four Fires (other topics)