Gay Science Fiction discussion

Discuss Books *SPOILERS Likely* > My Favorite Gay SciFi Book is...

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean (GaySciFiReader) | 50 comments Mod
Hi. Since our little group has grown to over 225 people now...I thought I should at least start another topic and get people chatting a bit :) I thought a good topic to start would be what people thought was the best gay scifi themed book they have ever read (and why). So, just add your quick comment in this topic and see what others have to say. Should be fun.

message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean (GaySciFiReader) | 50 comments Mod
I'll start. My favorite all time is: Ethan of Athos for it's simple but entertaining style. I also liked the The Silent Empire series by Steven Harper. Ok, who's next? :)

message 3: by Graham (new)

Graham Crawford | 7 comments Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand - I read this way back when I was at uni - and it's still one of the Queerest lit texts I've ever read - Plus it predicted the social revolution of the internet. The book's description of a sex-on-premises venue, "the Run" - still sticks in my head as an amazing idea expressing the continuum of sexuality in a consumer society. WoW!

message 4: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 86 comments Ethan of Athos is definitely a favorite, and a fascinating side quest in the Vorkosagin universe. I love Delaney and agree about Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand. I still have much of him to read. I am about to read the Neveryon—opps I still have Tales of Nevérÿon to find. I guess I'll do The Einstein Intersection and then start on his newer books and am still awaiting Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders. Dhalgren is an all time favorite—more bi than Gay, but much much more too. I enjoyed Dryland's End, a space opera, fun but not great, and Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series which read like fantasy, but have a lot of SF aspects. My 1st Gay SF was Chrome which I remember liking a lot.

Most of my favorite Gay books are mainstream rather than genre, but I long for some good or great Gay SFF which isn't just romance in disguise.

message 5: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Fox (BrandonFox) | 25 comments My top pick would probably be Kirith Kirin by Jim Grimsley, for the depth and richness of the fictional world and the beautiful writing. (And yes, it is SF, though that doesn't become clear until the second and third books in the trilogy.) I'm also a big fan of Storm Constantine's Wraeththu trilogy. It's gay with a twist, though I don't want to give the twist away in case some of you haven't read it yet. Finally, I am still impressed by Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand by Samuel Delaney. The amount of imagination in that book is amazing.

message 6: by Zorya (last edited Dec 11, 2011 01:49PM) (new)

Zorya (ZoeU) | 3 comments Evenfall and Afterimage by Sonny & Ais are def among my top picks. Those two are part 1 and 2 of In the Company of Shadows series, the series told us the story about a secret government-run organization that fights rebels in post-WWIII USA.

And it's cliche but my first m/m scifi book is Wraeththu and I was pretty blown away by it. Another great book is The God Eaters, my first steampunk book. A Chip in His Shoulder might not be my most favorite but it was intriguing and I want to find more books in this genre (cyberpunk).

Also, recently I read 18% Gray and I like it. It's an interesting first book of a series. I'm looking forward to the next book, hopefully this won't turn into "just romance in disguise" series.

I haven't read much m/m scifi and I'm practically a noob to this genre and its sub-genres but I'm very interested to read and learn more ^^

message 7: by Yte (new)

Yte My number 1 would be Mind Fuck by Manna Francis. Smart, gripping plot, complex characters, the futuristic authoritarian world is very vivid and wholesome, no bloopers or inconsistencies. There's not really as much sex as it seemed from people's reviews, maybe 4-5 not too graphic but hot nonetheless scenes. The BDSM elements are integral parts of the story and characters' development but the story isn't about sex or romance at any point. Hard to believe this gem is a free read.

message 8: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 86 comments Brandon wrote: "My top pick would probably be Kirith Kirin by Jim Grimsley, for the depth and richness of the fictional world and the beautiful writing. (And yes, it is SF, though that doesn't become..."

I forgot this—One of my favorite books.

message 9: by Roger (new)

Roger Kean | 3 comments Zeke wrote: "#1 right now is The Finder by Brandon Fox. This exciting author has created a fascinating world of peasants, soldiers, priests and political activists set in a far o..."

Agreed, it's a fine book, beautifully written and realised.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Kendrick | 10 comments Zeke wrote: "Oh gosh I forgot to say one of my top picks of all time will alway be A Solid Core of Alpha by Amy Lane. It is the best sci-fi, psychological-drama, gay male, roman..."

Indeed. I just added this little gem onto my Kindle Fire over the Xmas vaca. What a treat! I highly recommend it. And, for a first effort in scifi by Amy Lane, well, you can tell she's a spectacular writer.

message 11: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 86 comments Another favorite is Cyteen by CJ Cherryh. Though not Say per se, an important theme is the relationship between Justin and Grant. This continues in its sequel whose title escapes me. Besides, the book is one of the great SF novels of all time.

message 12: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 696 comments Mod
Kernos wrote: "Another favorite is Cyteen by CJ Cherryh. Though not Say per se, an important theme is the relationship between Justin and Grant. This continues in its sequel whose title escapes me. Besides, the b..."

Several people have mentioned this book - I am becoming intrigued.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand (other topics)
The Einstein Intersection (other topics)
Dhalgren (other topics)
Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders (other topics)
Burning Chrome (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Storm Constantine (other topics)
Santino Hassell (other topics)
Brandon Fox (other topics)
Amy Lane (other topics)
C.J. Cherryh (other topics)