One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) One for the Money discussion

Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 251) (251 new)    post a comment »

Lisa New film 'One for the Money' has Katherine Heigl playing Stephanie Plum. Is this the person they could have chosen? I always saw SP as someone tougher, edgier, not rom-com queen...
Thoughts? Comments?
Watch trailer on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQBD1o...

Crystal Ledger She wouldn't be my first choose but from the trailer i don't think she did a bad job. I'm still thinking of who else could have played her. However i think the Shondrella Avery would have been a better lulu. WHo does everyone else think? can't wait for the movie.

Fernanda Bomtempo-Marzo I can't wait for the moview either.... I never thought of Katherinw Heighl for Stephanie Plum. Maybe we'll be surprised.

Cyndi I was somewhat disappointed to find out tht Dwayne Johnson was not playing Ranger...the looks, the eyebrow, the attitude...missed opportunity.

Pamela Disappointed with all the actors they've picked for the movie, except for Sherri Shepard. I pictured her in my head when I read Book 1 for the very first time a few years ago.

Christy I definitely expected someone a little more "Jersey" than Katherine Heigl, but what about Morelli? I was a little shocked with the casting. He is not at all what I pictured.

message 7: by Fee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fee Christy wrote: "I definitely expected someone a little more "Jersey" than Katherine Heigl....."

That's exactly what I thought: she's not Jersey enough. But I think the biggest shock is grandma. She should be much older. And spunkier. Morelli looks cute but a bit soft for my taste.

Kate I sort of pictured someone like Joe Manganiello as Moretti.

I used to like Katherine Heigl but lately she sort of annoys me. I hope she does Stephanie justice.

Stephanie I actually think Katherine Heigl could be a great Stephanie Plum. I've only read One for the Money so maybe her character evolves a lot over the rest of the books, but she seems perfect to play the character in the first book.

Pamela Her character "evolves a lot?" Yeah, right. I've read up to Book 14 and Stephanie's character NEVER grows. Not even a little. I'm sure others don't agree, but that's how I feel. Her character is beyond stagnant.

Stephanie Too bad. Surely not inspiring me to read any more of them then!

Pamela Remember, that's just my opinion. That being said, I still enjoyed Books 1 to 9. After that, all down hill in my opinion.

I suggest reading a few more and then make a decision.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Lauzon Pam, you're right on the money with your comments. It's why I stopped reading around book #8. Stephanie never evolves, making her very 'cartoonish'. Same hamster, always a car blowing up, won't carry a gun, same two guy dilemma, . Can we stop flogging this horse? It's dead, already!

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa I gave up after books #6 or #7 I think so I think you're all very brave to keep reading! It got to be a very tired format but imagine if they try to make all fourteen as films...?!

Christy You guys are making me feel better. I've been stuck on book six for over a year.

Komal I'm also disappointed in the casting. What was with the guy playing Morelli? He's supposed to be movie star handsome and they couldn't find a guy in all of Hollywood who could do the trick? Even his personality didn't work.

Pamela Like seriously, with all the cars that blow up in each book, what insurance company would insure any car of Stephanie's? :)

By the way, I have absolutely no plans on seeing the movie on the big screen or even renting it. Heigl sucks and the two other guys....puhlease!

message 18: by Melissa (last edited Dec 09, 2011 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Bee I do think the stories are "formulaic". That being said I have laughed out loud while reading all 18. None of the characters in the movie fit the pictures I had in my mind when reading the book.
Stephanie's Dad was Paul Sorvino
Stephanie's Mom was Olympia Dukakis
Grandma: Estelle Getty or Betty White
Lulu: Queen Latifah
Connie: Jennifer Coolidge
Vinnie: Steve Buscemi
Stephanie: Sandra Bullock
My mind always stumbled to a lustful halt when I tried to figure out who could play Morelli or Ranger.

Becky Melissa wrote: "I do think the stories are "formulaic". That being said I have laughed out loud while reading all 18. None of the characters in the movie fit the pictures I had in my mind when reading the book. ..."

I have to agree with you on Stephanie, if this movie was being made 20 years ago, I think Geena Davis would have been perfect. I agree with your choices on Grandma Estelle as well. For me Lulu would have been perfect for Monique. I think Olympia Dukakis would be a good fit for her mom, but honestly I think Jerry Orbach would have been better for her dad. Dan Hedaya would be perfect for Vinnie. I could see Patrick Dempsey or Mark Ruffalo for Morelli. Ramon Franco would be good for Ranger. There's another actor I like for it but for the life of me I cant think of his name or what he played in.

Dominic The Rock as Ranger!

Alicia Kate wrote: "I sort of pictured someone like Joe Manganiello as Moretti.

I used to like Katherine Heigl but lately she sort of annoys me. I hope she does Stephanie justice."

Definately Joe Mangianello as Morelli...Shemar Moore as Ranger...

Dominic Oh, I barely saw the trailer. It looks good!

Suzanne Daniel Sunjata and Debbie Reynolds are the BEST cast characters so far! Not that Estelle Getty wouldn't have been great, but may she rest in peace!

Jury still out on the others...will have to go back + see how true to the book #1 they are being...seems they have crammed in highlights from other books to me!

I agree Stephanie doesn't / hasn't grown as a character in a long time--but I do LOVE the humor of the series! ;-)

Tracy Melissa wrote: "I do think the stories are "formulaic". That being said I have laughed out loud while reading all 18. None of the characters in the movie fit the pictures I had in my mind when reading the book. ..."

Jerry Orbach is dead....so probably couldn't play Mr. Plum lol (-:

Tracy Of all of the good actresses out there, I can't figure out why they would have chosen Katherine Heigl. She is not a particularly good actress nor is she particularly funny. Having her in the lead role makes me unsure if I want to see the movie at all. Also, Daniel Sunjata as Ranger might surprise you...he is a very good actor. He was in Rescue Me for the last few years.

Joanne Moyer I always pictured Sandra Bullock as Stephanie -- Katherine Heigl is too cute or something, not as down to earth as Sandra Bullock

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Spiegel Katherine Heigl seems to play the same character in every movie so I am disappointed in the choice. Even someone like Eva Mendes could have played the part, though I don't picture either of the two when I think of Stephanie Plum.

Melanie I always pictured Yeta from Fran Dresher's The Nanny as Grandma Mazur. If not Yeta then someone similar to her.

My issue with Katherine Heigel is that she won't stay with the series, if she doesnt' start insulting it as she did with Grey's Anatomy and Knocked Up.

Joe Morelli is supposed to be Italian. Imagined Zachary Quinto (Spock in Star Trek). I think Daniel Sunjata will do a great job as Ranger. Look at the final scene of the series finale of Rescue Me - he is so Rangerish in that scene. I know everyone pictured The Rock, but Ranger is able to go unnoticed and someone like Dwayne Johnson or Vin Diesel stand out in a crowd.

Tracy Melanie wrote: "I always pictured Yeta from Fran Dresher's The Nanny as Grandma Mazur. If not Yeta then someone similar to her.

My issue with Katherine Heigel is that she won't stay with the series, if she doe..."

Good comments Melanie!

Leslie Tracy wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I do think the stories are "formulaic". That being said I have laughed out loud while reading all 18. None of the characters in the movie fit the pictures I had in my mind when re..."

Tracy wrote: "Of all of the good actresses out there, I can't figure out why they would have chosen Katherine Heigl. She is not a particularly good actress nor is she particularly funny. Having her in the lead..."

Agree with you completely. Katherine Heigel is NOT Stephanie Plum. I always pictured her as Sandra Bullock, although she's a little too old for Stephanie now. Daniel Sunjata could be VERY good as Ranger. Not happy about the Morelli casting. As someone else mentioned, he's ITALIAN. And he should be hot. Disappointing. And Grandma Mazur? Debbie Reynolds could do a good job, but she can't be all glam looking. Grandma is from the burg,she should be polyester! And who said Jerry Orbach for Mr. Plum?! I love that! Like you, I'm afraid the movie will be a disappointment. And yeah, the books are getting pretty formulaic, but they're just so darn funny! Stephanie probably should grow, but not sure where that would leave us. Maybe introduce a new (serious) guy!

Mageela I agree with the Katherine Heigel not sticking with the series and bad mouthing it. After Knocked Up, a movie I enjoyed I haven't really "liked" her and haven't watched any thing she's starred. I hate to admit it but I most likely won't be laying down my money to see the movie. I'll probably wait to the DVD which will be cheaper than the theater or cable.

message 32: by Christine (last edited Dec 20, 2011 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christine Leslie wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I do think the stories are "formulaic". That being said I have laughed out loud while reading all 18. None of the characters in the movie fit the pictures I had in m..."

Mageela wrote: "I agree with the Katherine Heigel not sticking with the series and bad mouthing it. After Knocked Up, a movie I enjoyed I haven't really "liked" her and haven't watched any thing she's starred. I h..."

Jerry Orbach is dead. And Ranger is half Cuban in the books. None of the actors mentioned,or the one who was actually cast, is a Latino. Katherine Heigl plays the same doe-eyed uninteresting character in every movie. Marisa Tomei (10 yrs ago) is what I picture with Stephanie.

message 33: by M.R. (new) - rated it 2 stars

M.R. Christine,
You are so right. Marisa Tomei (once upon a time) would have nailed it!

message 34: by Ang (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ang Cyndi wrote: "I was somewhat disappointed to find out tht Dwayne Johnson was not playing Ranger...the looks, the eyebrow, the attitude...missed opportunity."

I agree completely not happy with him as ranger. Not mysterious enough and or sexy enough.

message 35: by Ang (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ang Angela wrote: "Cyndi wrote: "I was somewhat disappointed to find out tht Dwayne Johnson was not playing Ranger...the looks, the eyebrow, the attitude...missed opportunity."

I agree completely not happy with him ..."

I mean the guy they picked not sexy enough. Dwayne would have been perfect!

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Hunter None of the actors fit my impression of what the characters might look like ... but could anyone have really done them justice? I'm keeping an open mind about it.

Sarka-Jonae Miller I love Katherine Heigl but from the trailer I'm not sure it's going to work. Though it seems like they changed Stephanie's character to be much less Jersey so Katherine may fit the movie Stephanie OK. It's like with Confessions of a Shopaholic: I would never have picked Isla Fisher and Hugh Dancy even though I like both actors very much. They did fine for the movie versions of the characters, but they were not like the book versions. I am most disappointed in Daniel Sunjata as Ranger. He is a hottie for sure, but too... small and pretty to be a rough-and-tumble super buff sexy Ranger. I think Jason O'Mara could have really pulled off a great Morelli if the script were different, though he'd be a better Diesel. Though, again, it looks like Morelli is a bit softer in the movie so perhaps O'Mara was good casting. I honestly believe that most of the problems with transferring funny books to films is the writing/directing components, not the actors' fault. Actors don't even have a chance to play the roles in the book because the movie is setup so differently. Still, the movie may be entertaining. We'll see.

Rolloff Uh oh, looks like I may be the only guy with a comment- fuggetaboutit,I'm like totally secure in my Morreli/Ranger-like masculinity,just HAD to make that clear,ha,ha. Melissa, I liked most of your casting picks,especially Betty White,but didn't Estelle Getty pass away recently?Someone said Debbie Reynolds-she would be good too as Granny Plum.Queen Latifah dropped too many pounds to play big Lula...I guess they could pack on the padding though.Thinking ever so slightly outa the box:Eddie Murphy or Martin Lawrence in drag or Oprah,(as Lula)she could use the extra cash.Am I the only one who sees "Joy" from My Name is Earl in the Plum role? I think her name is Jamie Presley.Of course they could always dye Snookie's hair blonde (or blue-rinse white for Granny) for some REAL Jersey flave! Am I on a roll or what?!!Steve Buscemi as Vinnie-perfect... he's always the best lovable creep in da biz ,although Vinnie ain't written that way,he could definitely give the character some depth.Who the hell is Jennifer Coolidge and Daniel Sunjata-I fear I'm sliding rapidly down into clueless old cootdom-hey I just made up a new word...well probably not,sigh.But I guess it's too late for our brilliant ideas,so I predict that Hollywood is gonna serve up a prime Plum turkey-IN YOUR FACE Nostradamus,bet you NEVER saw THAT comin'!!!!

Michele I wasn't to sure about Katherine Heigl as Stephanie but after watching the trailer I changed my mind. Grandma is definitely not what I was expecting... I think they should have gone way older and I really like the guys they cast as Morelli and Ranger.

Sarka-Jonae Miller I think Evangeline Lilly would have been a great Stephanie. She could probably look a little Jersey, but she definitely has the tough and then sweet/cute thing that Stephanie has

~ToniG~ I agree the casting does not seem to fit the characters well. I like Katherine Heigl but she does play the same kind of character in every movie. However, there are other actresses who do the same. I seen the trailers and it does not look bad. I will wait until it comes out in Redbox or Netflix though.

Sarka-Jonae Miller Yeah, I won't be paying theater prices to see this. But I will definitely check it out on DVD

Brenda Kirton Lisa wrote: "New film 'One for the Money' has Katherine Heigl playing Stephanie Plum. I always saw SP as someone tougher, edgier, not rom-com queen...

Stephanie was never described as tough or edgy more wimpy and someone who does a really good job improvising.

Mybookhub I would have rather seen Betty White as Grandma Mazur, I like Katherine as Stephanie, But I think they could have done better with Lula's character, I think Sherri Sheperd is great but not over the top and that's what Lulas needs:)

Sarka-Jonae Miller Betty White could have been funny with a Jersey makeover.

~ToniG~ I agree with Betty White as the grandmother! I think that would have been so funny!

Louetta Powell When I began reading this series I automatically saw Sandra Bullock as Stephanie but, unfortunately, Ms. Bullock is now too old for the role. (How time flies!) I saw a Janet Evanovich interview a while back and she said Bullock was who she'd seen as Stephanie. (Great minds think alike...I'm kidding, I'm kidding!) I've seen Ms. Heigl in some movies and think she'll be great for the part. I always pictured that actress who played Adam Sandler's elderly music pupil in "The Wedding Singer" as Grandma Mazur but she's probably passed away by now. Debbie Reynolds is a good actress but I'm having trouble picturing her in that role. I look forward to seeing the movie.

Louetta Powell Tracy wrote: "Of all of the good actresses out there, I can't figure out why they would have chosen Katherine Heigl. She is not a particularly good actress nor is she particularly funny. Having her in the lead..."

I was disappointed in their choices for the male roles but thought Heigl does well with comedy so maybe she'd be a good Stephanie. I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

message 49: by Louetta (last edited Dec 26, 2011 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Louetta Powell Pam wrote: "Disappointed with all the actors they've picked for the movie, except for Sherri Shepard. I pictured her in my head when I read Book 1 for the very first time a few years ago."

Sherri Sheperd is who I always pictured when reading this series too. Nobody else matched my "casting" when I'd read but who knows, right!

Sarka-Jonae Miller Sherri Shepherd is a bit prettier than I pictured Lulu but I think she will do well. She's probably the closest of all the characters to what I pictured

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

One for the Money (other topics)