The Sword and Laser discussion

Elantris > [Extreme Spoilers] Seons & Shaod

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike Thicke (MikeThicke) | 68 comments Given the explanation for the Shaod & the insanity of Seons whose masters were transformed, I'm puzzled by a couple of (very spoilery) things:

1. Seons: (view spoiler)

2. Shaod: (view spoiler)

Colin | 5 comments (view spoiler)

Mel (Shogun26) | 11 comments (view spoiler)

Dustin (Tillos) | 324 comments (view spoiler)

message 5: by Mike (last edited Dec 07, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Mike Thicke (MikeThicke) | 68 comments Hopefully the thread title is now sufficient so we don't have to keep using spoiler tags.

(1) I agree that there could be some explanation for Seon insanity, but the one hinted at by Sanderson in Elantris is that it has something to do with the Aons inside of them. Raoden looks at his Seon and sees an Aon that has black marks on it. If Seons do derive their power from Aons, then it seems like the creation of the chasm ought to have messed them up as it did all other instances of Aon-fuelled technology (street lights, say). So the pressing question isn't why are some Seons insane, but why aren't *they all*?

(2) It would make sense to me if the Elantrins began to rapidly decay and die, similarly to what happend to Elantris itself. But the walls of Elantris don't appear to be "trapped in time" or anything... they have just degraded now that the Dor no longer powers them. The Elantrins, also being powered by the Dor, should degrade. That makes sense. But what happens is that they exhibit the exact same symptoms as those who begin to be transformed but cannot be transformed. It seems to me that there ought to be two groups of Elantins - a weak, degrading, and rotting group that were Elantrins before the chasm, and a dead, trapped-in-time group that became Elantrins after the chasm.

Colin | 5 comments There is an interesting point to consider. We do not know for sure that existing Elantrins dis show the same symptoms after the Reod. There were clearly weakened, but it is emphasized a number of times that at the reod the elantrins were butchered to a man during the servent's revolution. The old man may not have been an elantrin before the reod. Raoden just assumes so because he remembered the city as beautiful and had some uncommon knowledge about the spiritual lives of Elantrins (Imperfect narrator again)

I think we should also keep in mind, this is Brandon Sanderson's very first book, so we should cut him a little slack if his plot is a little loose, he is might tighter in his later books.

Sam | 18 comments I agree with the idea that the previous Elantrins needed a constant supply of Dor to be complete. Toward the end of the book, it states that the farther away you are from Elantris, the weaker the Aon; possibly meaning the weaker the Dor. To me, that is why all Elantrins had to move to Elantris in the first place. They needed that constant supply of Dor. After that supply was cut off, they became zombies. Being that Dor is the power of life, I began to assume that there is Dor in everything. The natural supply of Dor that was in the body before the change is the only Dor that fuled an Elantrin after the Shaod took them. When Raoden began to add "life" back to the Elantrins, the pain was eased. That may be farfetched, but I sleep easy at night.

I think the conection from Seon to Human is far stronger then is said to be. In my opinion, the Seons fuel came from the companion. Once the companion was affected, so was the Seon. Being that the now Elantrin did not have a constant source of Dor, (and the spiritual connection to the Seon was altered) neither did the Seon. If the Seon was fueled by the Dor provided by Elantris, then they would all have been affected by the chasm. And the only way to heal the Seon would be to rewrite the Aon inside.

That was a lot of babbling and reading in to things. But like I said, I sleep easy at night.

Dustin (Tillos) | 324 comments Colin wrote: "I think we should also keep in mind, this is Brandon Sanderson's very first book, so we should cut him a little slack if his plot is a little loose, he is might tighter in his later books.

No slack, burn him for this confusing witchcraft!

Chip (Pippy916) | 3 comments Dustin wrote: "Colin wrote: "I think we should also keep in mind, this is Brandon Sanderson's very first book, so we should cut him a little slack if his plot is a little loose, he is might tighter in his later b..."

I'll get the kindling.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll bring the marshmallows

unread topics | mark unread