Australian Women Writers Challenge discussion

Book Discussion > Are you an Australian Woman Writer?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 327) (327 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 446 comments Mod
Introduce yourself and your books!

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Dec 06, 2011 08:56PM) (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 63 comments Ok, so I'll go first! I'm a West Australian writer who is misusing her long-ago history degree:

"Wanted: One Scoundrel" is a steampunk novella set in the Swan River Colony (Western Australia) in the goldrush year of 1895. I've taken major liberties with history and introduced "Bombaytown", an Indian version of San Francisco's Chinatown, to Swan River. My suffragette heroine needs a scoundrel to represent her political views in the men's clubs, so she shanghai's Californian Jed Reeve and gets a whole lot more than she expected. Don't worry. Esme Smith can cope with anything!

Wanted One Scoundrel A Steampunk Christmas Novella by Jenny Schwartz

While you can buy "Wanted: One Scoundrel" on its lonesome, I should tell you, it's also part of a gorgeous anthology from Carina Press ... the three other authors are amazing ...

A Clockwork Christmas by Stacy Gail

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "Ok, so I'll go first! I'm a West Australian writer who is misusing her long-ago history degree:

"Wanted: One Scoundrel" is a steampunk novella set in the Swan River Colony (Western Australia) in ..."

Hi Jenny - just this morning I got the galley of Clockwork Christmas (that contains your story) from NetGalley. Love a bit of steampunk, so one set in a city I know will be fun to read.

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire Corbett | 22 comments Hi
My name is Claire Corbett and my novel WHEN WE HAVE WINGS was published by Allen & Unwin in July 2011. It is getting good reviews:http://clairecorbett.squarespace.com/...

I'm also running a giveaway until early January 2012 which includes a poster of the beautiful cover.

Look forward to any feedback.

Claire

message 5: by Shelleyrae (new)

I've already entered - thanks Claire!

For those who would like to enter: here is the link for the giveaway: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire Corbett | 22 comments That's great Shelleyrae - good luck.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Shelleyrae wrote: "I've already entered - thanks Claire!

For those who would like to enter: here is the link for the giveaway: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho..."

Claire wrote: "That's great Shelleyrae - good luck."

And me :) I recall the good reviews your book received.

message 8: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Johns | 10 comments HI everyone

Great to meet so many new faces so to speak. I'm Rachael Johns and my first novel releases a week on Monday - ONE PERFECT NIGHT with Carina Press. I've also recently sold a semi-rural romance to Harlequin Australia. JILTED will be a June 2012 release :) You can find out more at www.rachaeljohns.com

Jenny - LOL on you misusing your history degree!

Looking forward to chatting with this great group.

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire Corbett | 22 comments Thanks Readingjay - glad to hear it. :)

message 10: by Brenda (last edited Dec 09, 2011 08:50PM) (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments Claire wrote: "Hi
My name is Claire Corbett and my novel WHEN WE HAVE WINGS was published by Allen & Unwin in July 2011. It is getting good reviews:http://clairecorbett.squarespace.com/...

I'm also running ..."

When We Have Wings:) I too have entered:) thanks!

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire Corbett | 22 comments Great Brenda, :)

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 63 comments Hi Readingjay! I hope you enjoy the story *bites nails* I really did play with history...but beautiful Perth and Fremantle are recognisable--I hope!

Hi Rachael ... I think you've invented a new subcategory... Semi-Rural! sounds great. Jilted is on my 2012 list ... which I have to write on my blog... hmmm, forgot about that! so many things to do!

message 14: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Johns | 10 comments Hi Brenda :)

Aw Jenny - I'm so excited to be on your list!! Can't wait to see who else is there :)

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mayberry | 2 comments Hi. I'm Sarah Mayberry and I'm an Australian woman writer (hey, feels pretty cool to write that!). I write romances for Harlequin Mills and Boon, under the Blaze and Super Romance lines. I've also written 3 novellas to celebrate the television drama "Neighbours" 20th anniversary, and a children's historical adventure novel set in New Zealand for Penguin NZ. When I'm not writing romance, I work as a freelance script writer for "Neighbours" and a story consultant on other TV projects. You can find my web home at www.sarahmayberry.com

Looking forward to talking to you all and reading some awesome Aussie talent.

message 16: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Johns | 10 comments Hi Sarah - where are these novellas?? Can we read them yet?

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Dec 11, 2011 02:55PM) (new)

Sarah Mayberry | 2 comments Rachael wrote: "Hi Sarah - where are these novellas?? Can we read them yet?" They're quite old, actually, Rachael. I think they were published in 03 or something like that. Definitely out of print. They were based on characters who had left the show, so as not to confuse ongoing storylines. I followed Delta Goodrem's character, Nina, when she went to LA with Jack Scully, as well as catching up with Flick and Michelle Scully in New York and filling in David and Liljana Bishop's backstory (ie going back 20 years). They were lots of fun, but short lived in terms of a retail life, I think.

message 18: by Shona (new)

Shona (ShonaHusk) | 4 comments Hi, I’m Shona Husk. I live in WA and write Paranormal and Fantasy Romance. I love creating new worlds and making the characters work for their happily-ever-after. I have half a dozen novellas and a couple of novels out at the moment.
An Elemental Tail by Shona Husk Kissing Phoenix by Shona Husk How to Breathe Fire by Shona Husk Boyfriend in a Bottle by Shona Husk Tasting Thanatos by Shona Husk Dark Vow by Shona Husk Brightwater Blood by Shona Husk Kiss of the Goblin Prince (Shadowlands, #2) by Shona Husk
The Goblin King by Shona Husk
The Goblin King has its Australian release on January 1 2012 (it was released in the US in October 2011) and the next two books in the trilogy also come out 2012.
There are more details at http://www.shonahusk.com, or my goodreads author page: Shona Husk

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Mills | 1 comments I'm the author of two novels:

Gone by Jennifer Mills The Diamond Anchor by Jennifer Mills

and a book of short stories coming out in June 2012

You can find me here
Jennifer Mills
or at jenjen.com.au

message 20: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Johns | 10 comments Hi Shona

Oh bummer Sarah. I haven't watched Neighbours for years - having kids stopped me cos the timing was all bad - but I LOVED it!! And of course I should have realised it was older than 20 years :)

message 21: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Johns | 10 comments Hi Jennifer

message 22: by Alison (new)

Alison Stuart (AlisonStuart) | 5 comments Australian...a woman...and a writer! Proud to be here.

I write as Alison Stuart and I'm the author of two novels set in the English Civil War - dashing cavaliers and dastardly roundheads. Well, maybe not (they're a bit deeper than that), but you get the picture. Historicals with romance.

By The Sword by Alison Stuart The King's Man by Alison Stuart

I also have a collection of my published short stories (Tower of Tales), some from my time in Singapore and others which are modern and romances.

Tower of Tales Collected Short Stories by Alison Stuart

I am offering to provide anyone interested in reading my books for this challenge a free ebook of their choice. If they email me at alison@alisonstuart.com .

More about me and my writing at www.alisonstuart.com

Looking forward to reading something new and different.

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments Alison wrote: "Australian...a woman...and a writer! Proud to be here.

I write as Alison Stuart and I'm the author of two novels set in the English Civil War - dashing cavaliers and dastardly roundheads. Well, ma..."

Thanks Alison, I have By The Sword which I will read and review:)

message 24: by Alison (new)

Alison Stewart (alisonds) | 7 comments What a great array of interesting genres ... steampunk, paranormal romance, historical adventures, romance with dastardly roundheads etc. Brilliant!

I'm Alison Stewart. In August 2011, Penguin Australia published my YA dystopian novel set in Sydney, a city you may not entirely recognise!
Days Like This by Alison Stewart

I've also written some other books - both adult and young adult/children's. Please have a look at my Goodreads page, or my website: www.alisonstewartwriter.wordpress.com

Greetings Claire; your (dystopian) book sounds right up my alley. I've just entered the giveaway!

message 25: by Alison (new)

Alison Stewart (alisonds) | 7 comments Oops! Website should have read: http://www.alisonstewartwriter.com

message 26: by Claire (new)

Claire Corbett | 22 comments Hey Alison, I'll have to check out your book too - sounds very interesting. I'm pretty much only buying books by Aust writers as presents this year and focusing on Aust women writers where I can.

Glad you've entered the giveaway. Good luck,eh? Have you entered the Australian Women Writers 2012 challenge too?

message 27: by Alison (new)

Alison Stewart (alisonds) | 7 comments I absolutely have, Claire - onto my first challenge book already; Australian YA writer Kirsty Eager's Raw Blue
It's really engrossing and well written so far. Look forward to reading yours too!

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Murphy (nicole_murphy) | 6 comments I'm Nicole Murphy, I have an urban fantasy trilogy called The Dream of Asarlai, which is published by HarperCollins here in Australia.

Secret Ones (Dream of Asarlai #1) by Nicole Murphy Power Unbound (Dream of Asarlai, #2) by Nicole Murphy Rogue Gadda Dream of Asarlai Book 3 by Nicole Murphy

Dream of Asarlai is set in the world of the gadda, a magical race who have been keeping their existence secret from humanity since time began. However, Asarlai's decided that the gadda should be ruling the earth, and it's up to the guardians to stop her.

I've just self-published a short story based on the trilogy, which is free for people to grab here https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Murphy (nicole_murphy) | 6 comments Jenny wrote: "Ok, so I'll go first! I'm a West Australian writer who is misusing her long-ago history degree:

"Wanted: One Scoundrel" is a steampunk novella set in the Swan River Colony (Western Australia) in ..."

Ooh, Jenny - Jed is a PERFECT romance hero name :)

message 30: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments Hi Nicole...welcome:) Thanks for the short story! and congratulations on your books!

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Murphy (nicole_murphy) | 6 comments Brenda wrote: "Hi Nicole...welcome:) Thanks for the short story! and congratulations on your books!"

Thanks Brenda :)

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 63 comments "Ooh, Jenny - Jed is a PERFECT romance hero name :)"

That's what I thought!

Will grab your short story, Nicole, over the weekend and read :) Thanks!

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire Corbett | 22 comments Alison wrote: "I absolutely have, Claire - onto my first challenge book already; Australian YA writer Kirsty Eager's Raw Blue
It's really engrossing and well written so far. Look forward to readin..."

thanks Alison. I've heard good things about Raw Blue - maybe I'll do that as part of my challenge too.

message 34: by Lia (new)

Lia Weston (LiaWeston) | 1 comments Hi, guys - nice to meet you all!

I'm Lia Weston; my first novel, THE FORTUNES OF RUBY WHITE, was published by Simon & Schuster last year. You can find me on http://www.liaweston.com, on FaceBook (Lia Weston - Author) and @LiaWeston on Twitter. (World's most imaginative handle, of course.) :-)

The Fortunes of Ruby White The Fortunes of Ruby White by Lia Weston

message 35: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Johns | 10 comments Claire - I HEAR ya on the mostly Aussie women writers. There are just so many books coming out in 2012, I don't think I'll have time for any overseas ones :)

message 36: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments Lovely to have all you wonderful Aussie authors here...welcome:)

message 37: by Claire (new)

Claire Corbett | 22 comments Just saw a cover idea from my Dutch publisher. So different to my Aussie cover but I love it.

message 38: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments That's good news Claire:)

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (Katiewstewart) | 14 comments Hi, I'm Katie and I live in country WA. I work in a small school library part-time and write for most of the rest of my time. I have two books available as ebooks, both fantasy, one for adults and one for children.

Treespeaker by Katie W. Stewart Treespeaker tells the story of a seer and healer who is rejected by his tribe and forced out of the forest he loves by a stranger from outside. It's a tale about staying true to what you believe in.

The Dragon Box by Katie W. Stewart The Dragon Box is aimed mainly at boys 8-12. It's the story of James, transported to the fantasy land of Grobnog by an electronic game and forced to use his problem solving skills against a witch who is determined to take over the kingdom.

message 40: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Johns | 10 comments Hi Katie = I'm in country WA too and used to work in a library! I really miss it :(

message 41: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (Katiewstewart) | 14 comments It's a great job to have! I'm never short of books to read. :)

message 42: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments Katie, The Dragon Box sounds great! I have a 6yo grandson, so maybe he's a bit young yet, but I'll keep my eye out for it!

I would LOVE to work in a library:)

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (Katiewstewart) | 14 comments Thanks, Brenda. Your grandson might enjoy the story if someone read it to him. It's a fun story. But it will still be around in a couple of years!

message 44: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments I mentioned it to his Mum this arvo, and said I'd look out for it, and read it first to see whether it'd be suitable....of course I could keep it for him until he's a bit older too!

message 45: by Lexxie (last edited Dec 21, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

Lexxie Couper (Lexxie_Couper) | 1 comments Heya all, I'm Lexxie Couper. I write wild erotic romances, some with brooding heroes, some with sardonic Aussie heroes, some with nasty villains, some with kick-arse heroines, some with feisty heroines, but all with a truly romantic happy-ever-after. You can find me here at my site - www.lexxiecouper.com Triple Dare by Lexxie Couper Savage Retribution (Savage Australia, Book #1) by Lexxie Couper Suck and Blow by Lexxie Couper The Sun Sword by Lexxie Couper

message 46: by Shelleyrae (new)

Welcome lexxie!

message 47: by Clare (new)

Clare Havens (Clare_Havens) | 4 comments Hi! Just found this great group! I write something I call 'tween noir'- thrillers for middle grade/YA. Think Anna Wintour meets Humphrey Bogart! A Bella Street Mystery The Secret Formula by Clare Havens and 'A Bella Street Mystery Doc Gutson's Revenge' ('The Bella Street Mysteries') by Clare Havens. My site is www.BellaStreetMysteries.com

message 48: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (goodreadscomJoVo) | 4 comments Hello - I'm Joanne van Os, Australian writer from Darwin. I've signed up for the challenge but hadn't come here yet. My books so far are a memoir Outback Heart by Joanne van Os, and three children's novels (10-14 age group) Brumby Plains (Brumby Plains adventure, #1) by Joanne van Os Castaway A Brumby Plains Adventure (Brumby Plains Adventure series) by Joanne van Os The Secret of the Lonely Isles by Joanne van Os
all with Random House, and am looking forward to reading a lot of Australian women writers this coming year! Merry Christmas everyone

message 49: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1482 comments Joanne wrote: "Hello - I'm Joanne van Os, Australian writer from Darwin. I've signed up for the challenge but hadn't come here yet. My books so far are a memoir Outback Heart by Joanne van Os, and three childr..."

Hi Jo, I picked up your Outback Heart this morning, ready for January 1st:)

Merry Christmas to you and your family:)

message 50: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (goodreadscomJoVo) | 4 comments That's wonderful, Brenda! Hope you enjoy it. Have a very happy Christmas with your family too. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wanted: One Scoundrel (other topics)
A Clockwork Christmas (other topics)
When We Have Wings (other topics)
One Perfect Night (other topics)
Tasting Thanatos (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachael Johns (other topics)
Shona Husk (other topics)