The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Series for my husband - pref on Kindle

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bea | 39 comments My husband is going through ever more books since he got his Kindle. Our tastes overlap in some areas but are quite different in others. For some reason, he doesn't like golden age British mysteries (my faves). He speaks English well, but it is his second language.

I think he's about ready to ask me to reload his Kindle. He's reading a David Baldacci mystery now. I don't know that he's crazy about it.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Again, I'm looking for series.

Here are some series he's already eaten up:

Rex Stout - Nero Wolfe
M.C. Beaton - Hamish Macbeth (He hated the one Agatha Raisin he read)
Alexander McCall Smith - No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch
Mike Lawson - Joe DeMarco
Steve Hamilton - Alex McKnight
Robert B. Parker - Spencer
Peter Robinson - Alan Banks
Bruce Alexander - Sir John Fielding
Robert van Gulik - Judge Dee
Donna Leon - Detective Guido Brunetti
Reginald Hill - Daziel and Pascoe

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 1948 comments Mod
Hi Bea,

Since he liked Donna Leon's series in Italy how about Michael Dibdin Aurelio Zen series or Andrea CamilleriMontalbano books.

There are also the Insp. Lynley books by Elizabeth George, Adam Dalgliesh by P.D. Jamesand Insp Jury by Martha Grimes

And for something really different I would recommend the Dr. Siri books by Colin Cotterill

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 463 comments I would recommend:

The Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais, starting with The Monkey's Raincoat. Similar to the Spencer series by Robert Parker.

The Cork O'Connor series by William Kent Krueger, starting with Iron Lake. Similar to the series by Steve Hamilton, but much better IMO.

The Lincoln Perry series by Michael Koryta was very good, before he turned to horror. The series starts with Tonight I Said Goodbye.

The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, starting with Killing Floor. These are more thrillers than mysteries but are in a class by themselves.

Good luck, hope you find a new series he loves.

Bea | 39 comments Thanks so much! Keep them coming. The great thing about ebooks is I can download samples. My husband usually looks to me for suggestions, but it's so hard to know whether he'll like something.

I had high hopes for Flavia de Luce, since my husband is a trained chemist but no go.

message 5: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 1948 comments Mod
I don't know how far back historically he would like to go (I see Bruce Alexander's Sir John Fielding is on the list) but there are a number of great historical mystery series like Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael, C. J. Sansom Matthew Shardlake, and Susanna Gregory Matthew Bartholomew series.

Jannene | 652 comments Does he like spy mystery books? I'm reading Daniel Silva he has the Gabriel Allon series which is pretty good. The first book is pretty slow but it gives all the background info that you need.

He liked the Ladie's Detective Agency and he may like Sue Grafton with her Kinsey Millhone series. This one is addicting!

Sharon Michael | 592 comments Bea wrote: "My husband is going through ever more books since he got his Kindle. Our tastes overlap in some areas but are quite different in others. "

Robert Parker and Alexander McCall Smith are two authors that are on my "top six" authors ... I have most, if not all of their books in my library to re-read often.

Based on that and on the other authors I have in my personal library, possibly the following:

John Sandford: The "Prey" series, which is pretty much serial killer/police procedural but takes on more depth later, a bit like the Spenser books do. A more recent series is his series with "Virgil Flowers", same setting, different detective.

Thomas Perry: He has a number of stand-alones as well as a couple of series/trilogies. Try "The Butcher's Boy" which is my personal favorite, along with "Metzger's Dog".

Stuart Woods: Try his "Orchid" series which starts with "Orchid Beach". I like it, though I don't care for his Stone Barrington series.

Dick Francis: If he's at all interested in horses, English racetrack mysteries to start with, gradually evolves into the race scene being more peripheral.

Craig Johnson: Modern west setting, county sheriff in a Wyoming county. Interesting plots and both the people and the country is very accurate.

Andre Farant (andrefarant) | 2 comments Hi Bea,

You've gotten some fantastic suggestions already but I'll throw in my coupla pennies.

If he likes ALexander McCall Smith, your husband might like the wonderful Flavia DeLuce series by Alan Bradley. Just four books out thus far and best enjoyed in order. The first is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

I'm a fan of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series. Lots of books in this one. Just pick one and go; they're all quite similar.

If he likes an occasional touch of Crichton-style techno-thriller in his mystery, he might want to give the Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child Pendergast series. Start with Relic or, for a good introductory stand-alone, try Still Life with Crows.

Hope it helps!

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tonight I Said Goodbye (other topics)
Iron Lake (other topics)
Killing Floor (other topics)
The Monkey's Raincoat (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Andrea Camilleri (other topics)
Elizabeth George (other topics)
P.D. James (other topics)