Books and Their Adaptations discussion

What are your favorite adaptations (books to movies) and why?

Comments (showing 1-6)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Erica Poole | 1 comments Of all of the book to movie adaptations that I have seen, the only one that really did the book justice in my opinion is The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo...the Swedish film version...haven't seen the American one yet. I resent that reviewers are saying that the American version is better because it is less lurid. Obviously, they didn't bother to read the book as the movie was very faithful to it!

Carien I think the Miss Marple books are Christie's best work. (Well... Then There Were None is probably the best, but the Miss Marple books are the most fun.)

I haven't seen Julie and Julia I will confess. Lately I seem to miss out on all new releases and I'm trying to catch up.

Paprika sounds really cool I must say: thanks for the recommendation.

message 4: by Toofan (last edited Dec 06, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Toofan | 3 comments Mod
In fact, if you are into detective fiction quite a bit, you should watch Paprika. Its an anime and a pretty darn good one at that. Oh its sci-fi too. Its based on a Japanese novel.

Paprika by Yasutaka Tsutsui

Toofan | 3 comments Mod
Added to my wishlist Carien. I loved Miss Marple books but was always afraid to confess it. Talking of detective fiction, I think Maltese Falcon was a good adaptation too. I had read the book and the movie was pretty much like how I had visualized the scenes from the book.
Have you seen Julie and Julia?

Carien I haven't seen the movie or read the comics. both are still on my to-do list.

My favorite adaption has to be the tv-series Marple with Geraldine McEwan. Not only do I think McEwan makes a wonderful Miss Marple, but I also love how they played around with the stories and made them their own.

Toofan | 3 comments Mod
I think V for Vendetta, for one, was brilliant as an adaptation. Primarily because the movie interpreted the graphic novel in a way that was ideal for screenplay. The Wachowski brothers (rather, Wachowski siblings as Larry underwent a sex change operation) stuck to the spirit of the comic rather than copying it verbatim, panel for panel. The comic in itself, progresses rather slowly but given the medium the pace is perfect. It couldn't have been the same in the movie. It had to be fast paced and it was. Your opinions?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Paprika (other topics)