Fantasy Book Club discussion

Jan '12 - The Night Circus > The Night Circus - Read? Planning to read? No spoilers!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 90) (90 new)    post a comment »

Jeanne (jeannekc) Are you planning to read, or have you read The Night Circus?

Ena (enantoiel) | 61 comments I'm planing to read this one. It's already in my Kindle, waiting for its turn.

Kathy (Kathy_H) | 48 comments Don't have a copy of the book yet, but yes, I plan to read this in January. December is already full!

Traci This book keeps showing up for me and has my interest definitely. Excited it's our next book.

Lilyan | 130 comments I'm not sure! The plot sounds interesting but I've read some dissapointed reviews of it on Goodreads, so I'm a bit torn.

Craig | 17 comments Lilyan wrote: "I'm not sure! The plot sounds interesting but I've read some dissapointed reviews of it on Goodreads, so I'm a bit torn."

I'm in the same boat. People seem to either love or hate it.

Jasmine Me (Jasmineme) | 126 comments I've read it and Loved it, a wonderful book..highly recommended :)

Traci But if people either love it or hate it you might miss out on a love it book being afraid it's going to be a hate it book.

It looks like the kind of quirky book I usually end up liking, plus I love the circus.

Craig | 17 comments Traci wrote: "But if people either love it or hate it you might miss out on a love it book being afraid it's going to be a hate it book.

It looks like the kind of quirky book I usually end up liking, plus I lov..."

Exactly! I am thinking it is short enough I don't mind at least giving it a try.

The last book I read where reviewers were this divided was The Magicians, which I ended up really enjoying.

Anna-louise | 86 comments I've had it since October! so its nice to have a reason to bump it up my to read list :-)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 563 comments Maybe, I have plans for other books in January, but I'll see if I have time to squeeze it in.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments I've read it and listened to the audio. I simply love, love, love this book! I wasn't as hooked the first time through, but was hooked enough to buy it in audio. With Jim Dale as the reader, I've been pushed into total fandom. I highly recommend The Night Circus in print or audio!

Marsha A. Moore (MarshaAMoore) | 6 comments I usually don't do audio, but this one might entice me with the delightful magical scenes.

Lilyan | 130 comments It doesn't seem like hardcore fantasy to me though, it feels a bit of a drama too, is that the case? I hate dramas and sob stories

meleah (meleahbryan) | 45 comments Currently reading.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments While I'm not a hardcore fantasy aficionado, I would say it probably isn't hardcore fantasy. There are shimmers of fantasy mixed in with some intrigue and mystery and some drama too. It's worth the drama and twists, though.

Brent | 2 comments I plan on reading this. Sounds interesting.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I will have to bow out on this one, though it does look interesting. We've been doing a lot of overtime at work and that really cuts into my reading time right now. :(

Tim (timoerl) Yes, I'm gonna read it! The plot looks interesting, can't wait untill January!

Helen | 456 comments Just read the blurb, it does look interesting so I've added it to my TBR.

Danni (Danninella) | 8 comments I read it a little while ago and I liked it very much. It is one of those books where you have to go into it without any kinds of expectations. If one has to many expectations what the book is supposed to be about I think it might be a dissapointing read.

Traci But maybe my expectations is not to have any expectations. Isn't that an expectation?
I'm just funning. ;)

Danni (Danninella) | 8 comments Traci: Ok, that is the only expectation you should have :)

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments I agree with Danni. All bets are off with expectations for this read. Just be open to the adventure and perhaps you too will become a reveur!

Jessica Lane (jessrbooks) | 3 comments Starting it now so will have it read in time.

Lilyan | 130 comments Alright, since my kindle is working again and I dont have to buy the hardcover for this, I guess I'll give it a go

Candice | 9 comments Looking forward to reading it in January!

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 96 comments I would love to read this... but there's no way I'm paying >$10 for an eBook, and I don't have the money for a hardcover. If there was a paperback option, I would gladly buy that.

Maybe I'll have a look around the local book store for it.

Kathy (Kathy_H) | 48 comments Thomas wrote: "I would love to read this... but there's no way I'm paying >$10 for an eBook, and I don't have the money for a hardcover. If there was a paperback option, I would gladly buy that.

Maybe I'll have ..."

Perhaps your library?

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 96 comments Kathy wrote: "Perhaps your library? "

That's a good idea too, though I read pretty slow, so I may not get it done before I'd have to return it.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments Even if you don't read it in January, be sure to add it to your TBR so when the paperback becomes available you can snatch it up! :o)

Joseph | 756 comments I just picked up the e-version and started it yesterday; so far, I'm quite enjoying it.

Stella Atrium (StellaAtrium) | 15 comments I'm glad I'm reading Night Circus in December when I have the time to devote. I feel if I read it with interruptions (students, you know), I would lose the thread. Enjoyable so far.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments I agree on having the time to read it. I found on my first read I was so hungry to find out what happens that I missed some of the more subtle nuances. My second read through (which as audio versus reading) opened all new pathways of magic and mystery to me. :o)

Traci I plan to start sometime tomorrow to have the weekend to devote to it...I really hope I like it.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments I hope you enjoy it, too!

I have another audio book I'm planning to polish off by the end of next week. Then I'm going to pull out The Night Circus for another listen so it's fresh in my mind for January's discussion. I already have a few ideas in mind for discussion points. So excited!

Jenny (JennyK89) | 111 comments I plan on reading it but I'm 17/19 holds at the library. If I really want to read it by the time January comes around maybe I'll buy it for my Kindle.

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] I got lucky--my library had a rental copy, so it's fresh in my mind. I think I'll end up buying my own copy, however. It was that good.

Anatha Latshaw | 12 comments My copy of it just came in the mail today! :)

Kate | 54 comments I've requested it from the library! Not sure when I'll get it because there's a long wait list, but I'm excited to read it.

Pam | 1 comments I have read this book.

Kenya Wright | 19 comments I have seen this book everywhere. I'm going to read it!

D.G. I requested it from the library but I have a bit of a wait. If I get it in time (and I'm in the mood) then I'll read it. ;)

Craig | 17 comments I got the audio book and will listen to it on the drive to/from home for the holidays. Jim Dale did a great job with Harry Potter I hope he does as well with this one.

message 45: by D.G. (last edited Dec 21, 2011 02:20PM) (new)

D.G. Oh I didn't notice that Jim Dale was the narrator! Now I'm most likely to do the group read.

Anatha Latshaw | 12 comments Craig wrote: "I got the audio book and will listen to it on the drive to/from home for the holidays. Jim Dale did a great job with Harry Potter I hope he does as well with this one."

! I kind of regret buying the book now. I love love love Jim Dale! I had no idea that he was reading Night Circus!

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments I thought Jim did an amazing job with Night Circus. I really enjoyed it when I read it the first time, but fell madly in love after hearing Jim's voice bring the characters to life.

Anne | 22 comments I'm #491 on the waiting list at the library, and they only have 85 copies. I'm definitely going to have to sit this one out. I really wish our library system had a bigger budget.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 96 comments Anne wrote: "I'm #491 on the waiting list at the library, and they only have 85 copies. I'm definitely going to have to sit this one out. I really wish our library system had a bigger budget."

85 copies? That's some library. We're lucky if our library has *1* copy.

Anne | 22 comments It's a county-wide system, and one of the cities in that county is Minneapolis. It serves well over 1 million people. They often buy 200 copies or more of the big bestsellers. Some of the waiting lists for books are over 1,000 people. Having to wait 6 months or more for a popular book is common.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Night Circus (other topics)
The Magicians (other topics)
Room (other topics)
The Magician King (other topics)