Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Outlaws of the Marsh, Vol. 1-4
This topic is about Outlaws of the Marsh, Vol. 1-4
Specific List Books > Outlaws of the Marsh (The Water Margin)

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chel | 377 comments Outlaws of the Marsh (also known as Water Margin) is one of the four great classics of early Chinese literature. It is very long and outlines 108 characters on the margins of society who have been greatly wronged and band together. They are largely warriors fighting the Empire. Each story is told individually and the story is truly epic. It is funny, tragic, and rewarding. It details corruption in the Chinese empire. The story passed to Japan and became famous there centuries ago under the title of Suikoden and famous engravings were made of each of the 108 characters. It was also the origin of the Suikoden series of video games from Japan, all of which have massive stories themselves which I have played. It is a very long read (2,149 pages) and, in some ways, gets a little repetitive but was very rewarding.

The other three great classics of Chinese literature, that many consider the pinnacle of classic Chinese literature, are the novels: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West (also known as Monkey), and Dream of the Red Chamber (also known as A Dream of Red Mansions). They influenced many art aspects of the cultures of China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam. I can't wait to read the other three some day! I own all four, three on Kindle and one in paperback.

Maggie (mmorrell) | 25 comments You have whetted my appetite I have just ordered Outlaws of the Marsh (Chinese Classics 4-Volume Boxed Set) BOX SET for Kindle. I love Chinese art and literature.

Chel | 377 comments Good for you, I'm excited for you! Just be aware that some parts get a little repetitive but it's a great book.

Mandy | 135 comments I remember seeing something on TV a long time ago back in the UK called "The Water Margin" - especially Monkey. Brings back great memeories of childhood, though I sould probably try to read it some time.
The Amazon price for Kindle is much much cheaper than for the physical books though - I might go down the kindle route too!

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlaws of the Marsh, Vol. 1-4 (other topics)