College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
We are going to have one thread for each book as now Goodreads has made a spoiler tag that you can use to put before anything that is a spoiler. Use your discretion as to what would be a pretty big spoiler and label it. Please put up to what page the spoiler is for.

To create the tag simply do this:

< spoiler> Blah blah blah spoilery stuff < /spoiler>

*Take out the spaces in both of the spoiler tag.

It will look like this:

(view spoiler)

Discuss away...

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 48 comments I LOVE THIS BOOK! Legit, the Oz books are my favorite books of all time so I am very excited this got chosen.

On that note, here are some of my views on the book:
(view spoiler)

I would like to add, that if you really liked this book, then take a look at the rest of the series. They are all free o read on any ereader and online. They are all Wonderful! :)

message 3: by Serenity (new)

Serenity I thought the book was interesting, but much too juvenile to be completely enjoyable. I recognize their literary/cultural value, but much prefer modern interpretations of this story. Wicked, the musical, is one of my favorite stories/performances of all time.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2140 comments Serenity, I can't even tell you how much I love that musical! :)

message 5: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) | 64 comments I read this once for school in third grade, and all I really remembered about it were the shoes, How the Lion got his courage and that it seemed, like a really long, book.

Reading it again, I thought it was adorable esp. (view spoiler)

I really liked this one a lot.

message 6: by Serenity (new)

Serenity Kimberly wrote: "Serenity, I can't even tell you how much I love that musical! :)"

I KNOW, Elphaba has to be one of my absolute favorite fictional characters ever! Although I hear the book by Gregory Maguire isn't all that good...

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 603 comments This book just came in at the library. I should hopefully be able to get to it in a couple of days. I'm really interested to see how it compares to the movie, which I've seen countless times. I hear it's really different.

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2140 comments Serenity wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Serenity, I can't even tell you how much I love that musical! :)"

I KNOW, Elphaba has to be one of my absolute favorite fictional characters ever! Although I hear the book by Gregory Maguire isn't all that good... "

I know some people who absolutely love it, I also know some people that don't. I don't really care for it... I like the musical too much.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 48 comments Kimberly wrote: "Serenity wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Serenity, I can't even tell you how much I love that musical! :)"

I KNOW, Elphaba has to be one of my absolute favorite fictional characters ever! Although I hear..."

I absolutely LOVED the Wicked series. I think they key to enjoying it is to remember that the musical is loosely based off of the book, so there are going to be some big differences. Also, Gregory Maguire has written some fantastic retellings. Mirror Mirror is a Snow White book, and he has a number of others.

But I digress, Wicked is a wonderful series, but again, go into it with an open mind.

message 10: by Serenity (new)

Serenity Amy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Serenity wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Serenity, I can't even tell you how much I love that musical! :)"

I KNOW, Elphaba has to be one of my absolute favorite fictional characters ever..."

Yeah the series looks really interesting and I keep wanting to try it, but everytime I would go on the Goodreads page and read all the negative/lukewarm reviews (that say things like, GM introduces interesting characters/plotpoints without ever mentioning them again; the pacing sucks; gets worse as series goes on, etc.) and I get scared off...

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nkb992) | 35 comments Serenity wrote: "Amy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Serenity wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Serenity, I can't even tell you how much I love that musical! :)"

I KNOW, Elphaba has to be one of my absolute favorite fictional c..."

I really enjoyed Gregory Maguire's Wicked when I read it. It may have been because I haven't seen the musical so have nothing to compare it to, but I really didn't have any major complaints with it. I would suggest it!

I just finished all of my finals so I haven't gotten around to reading the Wizard of Oz just yet but I plan on taking it with me when I babysit tonight. I'm interested to see how it differs from the movie and how it fits in with Wicked. Thoughts to come :)

message 12: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Did any of you have "Book Talks" in school? We had this program in 7th, 8th and 9th grade where each month we got a book to read and then had to meet with the others in our grade to review it as a group. When we were in 9th grade we were the group leaders of the 7th grade reads. Other than that, parents filled in as group leaders.

Anyways, this was one of the books I was leader of the group in 9th grade for the 7th graders. The groups were usually 8-10 kids and all but 1 girl had watched the movie instead of reading the book. We had a little crossword made up and they didn't get the answers. Bet they didn't like their grades!

I have Wicked and Son of a Witch at the house to read, but haven't picked them up yet. My sister loved them.

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 603 comments I finished this book last month but realized I hadn't thrown in my two cents.

(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread