Young Adult Book Club discussion

Member's Chat > What are your best reads of this year (2011)

Comments (showing 15-64)    post a comment »

Christie Cote (christiecote) | 2 comments Hopeless and Losing hope by Colleen Hoover and Easy by Tammara Webber

Hila | 4 comments My favourite books so far this year:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth, If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen, Ruby Red (The Ruby Red Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier

Luce | 2 comments It's so hard to narrow them down!

These are some my favourite books and were published this year (2013):

The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler, Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare, Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) by Tahereh Mafi, Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo, The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

And these are some of the best books I read this year that were published in other years:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater, Holier Than Thou by Laura Buzo, Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee, Promised (Birthmarked, #3) by Caragh M. O'Brien, The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray, Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis, Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2) by Laini Taylor, Stolen  A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher, Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan

Ninja Girl (NinjaGirlReads) | 3 comments Eleanor & Park :-) by Rainbow Rowell.
Beyond amazing!!

Julia | 408 comments Anna,

Try these books of short stories:
Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman but younger kids try M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman

Welcome to Bordertown by Holly Black

Waifs and Strays by Charles de Lint

Under My Hat  Tales from the Cauldron by Jonathan Strahan.

Enjoy!

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 66 comments So far my favorite have been:

The Raven Boys
The Selection (I know there's a lot of hate around this book, and good reason too because the writings kind of crappy, but this series has become my new guilty pleasure!)
Les Miserables (150 pgs left but I already know it's a favorite of mine)
Phantom of the Opera

Ghaniya Aureen (Ghaniya_Aureen) | 3 comments I still remember our teacher reading short stories to us from O. Henry and Kahlil Gibran, being his favourites..
I think the best short story that he recited was The Last Leaf by O. Henry.. I think you should check O. Henry and Kahlil Gibran if you can simplify them and still keep its profoundness while you get it embedded into those innocent minds..

Panchtantra
Kahlil Gibran
The Last Leaf
The Gift of the Magi

Olivia Best read. Twilight and inheritance as well as hunger game s

Jennika (Lovenectar28) | 84 comments I've read lots so far that are really amazing!

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton Origin by Jessica Khoury Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys Impulse (Impulse, #1) by Ellen Hopkins Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand

message 54: by Anna (last edited Jul 06, 2013 02:08AM) (new)

Anna | 31 comments @ Julia and Kritika: Code Name Verity has been one of my favourites this year too, together with Maggot Moon and The Weight of Water. Oh and Cinder was fun.
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

Anna | 31 comments Hi folks I need some help to find some good collections of contemporary short stories which could be used with a class( home group/ tutor group) - teacher reads students listen. Any suggestions welcome - for use with classes ages between 12 and 16. (Yrs 7,8,9,10,11 in UK). I can think of lots of novels but no short stories apart from Roald Dahl.

Jessy♥ (jessywabsyou) | 8 comments Best read for this year? I love Cassanda Clare's books no exception!

Julia | 408 comments So far (I'm reading my 59th book of the year). I reverse order that I've read them.
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks, The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher, Ghetto Cowboy by G. Neri, The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) by Lois McMaster Bujold, Operation Oleander by Valerie O. Patterson, A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce, The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan and Colin Fischer by Ashley Edward Miller.

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I have really enjoyed Grave Mercy, Code Name Verity, and Days of Blood and Starlight.

♚Ciel Phantomhive♚ (MaxCreed) | 5 comments I got to say, my favorite book this year, would be:
Night world
The secret circle
Iron kissed from the Mercy Thompson novels
Daughters of the Moon
Finale, my all time fav.
Those are my favorite book of this year!!!!!!!!!

Anna | 107 comments I really liked John Green's latestThe Fault in Our Stars. It isn't my favorite of his though--that would be An Abundance of Katherines and I also loved Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

message 47: by Rachel (last edited Mar 14, 2012 11:16PM) (new)

Rachel Hanville (azombieatemyshoelace) | 22 comments I don't know. A lot of the books I read in 2011 don't really stand out, which means they must not have been all that great. However I do remember two that I really, really like. They are The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexieand Poison by Chris Wooding

Monica | 3 comments Gosh I read so many amazing books but here are some of my absolute favorites:
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) by Kami Garcia Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2) by C.C. Hunter Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Silence (Hush, Hush, #3) by Becca Fitzpatrick Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2) by Kiersten White Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand

Mercy Walker | 3 comments This year? I'd say so far Rachel Caine is rocking my world, as is Ilona Andrews. But I cna't wait to sink my teeth into the next Patricia Briggs novel.

Shaylee | 3 comments My favorite reads last year:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) by Meg Cabot Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2) by Meg Cabot Paranormalcy by Kiersten White The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan

message 40: by Matilda (last edited Jan 29, 2012 12:54AM) (new)

Matilda Rose | 1 comments Hmmm, favourite and most memorable books I've read last year?

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
Saving Francesca - Melina Marchetta
The Piper's Son - Melina Marchetta
Froi of the Exiles - Melina Marchetta
Clockwork Prince - Cassandra Clare

message 39: by Ciara (last edited Jan 28, 2012 07:50PM) (new)

Ciara Steele | 7 comments My favorite books of 2011 (that I can remember):

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Willow by Julia Hoban The Night I Disappeared by Julie Reece Deaver Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Sarah M | 3 comments My favorite of 2011
Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

MizzSandie definately 'the sky is everywhere' (it was just epic, in a league of it's own completely)
and then 'anna and the french kiss'

message 36: by Cat (last edited Jan 10, 2012 01:00PM) (new)

Cat Woods (catwoods) | 3 comments Want to Go Private?

Want to Go Private? is by far the best (not easy to read, but best) YA I've read in a long time. This is a must read for anyone who is a teen, knows a teen or loves a teen.

Hands down the winner on my 2012 bookshelf.

Vinna (chini_charm) | 10 comments my 2011 fave reads are:

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor A Lot Like Love (FBI, #2) by Julie James The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward East of Eden by John Steinbeck The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Heat  An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford Something About You (FBI, # 1) by Julie James

Maria Mitchell Your selection of Australian books is very interesting. I was at one time involved with Magellan ebooks in Australia who is now closing that and working on opening his own publishing company. He told me straight out that Aussies did not read. That was very puzzling to me.
Also there is no Amazon in Australia.

Thanks, Maria Mitchell / Goodreads Author

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 30, 2011 07:05PM) (new)

Favorite YA reads of 2011:
Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1) by Marianne de Pierres Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta A Pocketful of Eyes by Lili Wilkinson Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5) by John Marsden The Night Is For Hunting (Tomorrow, #6) by John Marsden Starcrossed (Thief Errant, #1) by Elizabeth C. Bunce The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe Hate List by Jennifer Brown

I studied abroad in Australia which is why a lot of those are Australian authors/books.

Amy (londoninlights) This year....

Favorite YA reads:
Everfound (Skinjacker, #3) by Neal Shusterman Eona  The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2) by Alison Goodman

Favorite non-YA reads:
Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro #6) by Dennis Lehane Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote The Silent Girl (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #9) by Tess Gerritsen The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

Joan (official heroine hater) Read so many great books this year! Here are some of my fav's in no particular order:
Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Touch (Denazen #1) by Jus Accardo Tempus by Tyra Lynn On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan Heart on a Chain by Cindy C. Bennett Geek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett Shift (Shade, #2) by Jeri Smith-Ready Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee The Iron Queen (Iron Fey, #3) by Julie Kagawa The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin Angel (Angel, #1) by L.A. Weatherly Falling Under (Falling Under, #1) by Gwen Hayes Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand

Haley (thatwritergirl75) | 25 comments The best books I've read in 2011:
Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi Identical by Ellen  Hopkins The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

Emily May (emleemay) Few more late additions:

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta

Tara My favorites were
Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine and City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

Books on the border of YA and adult fiction...
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

message 25: by Julia (last edited Dec 21, 2011 08:12AM) (new)

Julia | 408 comments So far my favorite YA books that I read in 2011 are:

Flight by Sherman Alexie Following Christopher Creed (The Steepleton Chronicles) by Carol Plum-Ucci Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Hate List by Jennifer Brown Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly Summer of My German Soldier (Summer of My German Soldier, #1) by Bette Greene Welcome to Bordertown by Ellen Kushner Chalice by Robin McKinley

and these that are probably not YA books:

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler Doubt by John Patrick Shanley With the Light... Vol. 8  Raising an Autistic Child by Keiko Tobe The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird by Christopher Sergel Spellcast by Barbara Ashford Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor Except the Queen by Jane Yolen The Diary of Anne Frank by Wendy Ann Kesselman The Very Best of Charles de Lint by Charles de Lint A Wreath for Emmett Till (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards)) by Marilyn Nelson Ghost Story (The Dresden Files,  #13) by Jim Butcher and Doc  A Novel by Mary Doria Russell One Was a Soldier (Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7) by Julia Spencer-Fleming The Scottish Prisoner  A Lord John Grey Novel by Diana Gabaldon

Brianna (Oceanlover14) | 8 comments My fav bks this year are:

The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong. The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong. My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent

Megan | 6 comments My 5 star reads this year:

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen Outside In (Insider, #2) by Maria V. Snyder

4 star reads:

The Pace (The Pace, #1) by Shelena Shorts The Broken Lake (The Pace #2) by Shelena Shorts The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda Hocking Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) by Jennifer Estep

message 22: by Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Book Blog) (last edited Dec 14, 2011 05:03PM) (new)

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Book Blog) | 58 comments I've read a lot of books this year, it's hard to pick... but these were my fav's:

The Future of Us by Jay Asher Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers Party by Tom Leveen Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott Wherever Nina Lies by Lynn Weingarten Hate List by Jennifer Brown Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King Fallout (Crank, #3) by Ellen  Hopkins After by Amy Efaw Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

and of course I was happy for the return of Twisted (Pretty Little Liars, #9) by Sara Shepard and Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game #2) by Sara Shepard

Cece I read so many books this year that I loved so I will just name some of them.

Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay
Demon King
Grey Wolf Throne
The exiled queen
Divergent
Lost Hero
Son of Neptune
The knife of never letting go
The ask and the answer

This is my list so far for 2011

Ann (Annabell123) | 45 comments Here are some of my favorites:
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Abandon (Abandon Trilogy, #1) by Meg Cabot Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes Stay by Deb Caletti Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game #2) by Sara Shepard Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1) by Kelly Keaton A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1) by Jocelyn Davies Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson

That is just some of them! And I have definitely found a love for dystopia in 2011!

message 19: by Jordan (last edited Dec 11, 2011 04:35PM) (new)

Jordan My favorite this year was The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3) by Cinda Williams Chima

message 18: by Shelley (last edited Dec 11, 2011 01:00PM) (new)

Shelley Daugherty (ShelleyDaugherty) | 6 comments I loved A Monster Calls A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and one that I thought was fantastic though not YA but could be was Rose in a Storm by Jon KatzRose in a Storm

Shelley Daugherty (ShelleyDaugherty) | 6 comments I have to agree. I loved the book Please ignore Vera Dietz! This was a fantastic book about LGBT issues. Very heartfelt!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite books this year:
Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan

Ai Haibara (theendingiscoai) My Favorite 2011 YA reads:
Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand Lure (Siren's Call, #1) by Stephanie Jenkins Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver She's So Dead to Us by Kieran Scott Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

My Enjoyable Fun 2011 YA reads:
Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins Vanish (Firelight, #2) by Sophie Jordan Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wonderstruck (other topics)
Froi of the Exiles (other topics)
Six Impossible Things (other topics)
Singing the Dogstar Blues (other topics)
Bunheads (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Green (other topics)
Khalil Gibran (other topics)