Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenge Home (Winter 2011/12) > Reading w/Style Completed Tasks - Winter 2011/12

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,114) (1114 new)    post a comment »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2950 comments Please post your completed points frequently. Smaller lists of completed books are easier to manage, especially if there are questions about the points you're claiming. So, please post early and post often!

Post your completed tasks here. Use the following format when posting tasks. This is the order of the Style points on the scoring spreadsheet, so it will save time if you could list the points in this order.

Be sure to include how the book qualifies for the Style points. For instance if you need to read a book from a specific era for the task, please provide the ORIGINAL publication year when claiming points.

Reading w/Style (RwS) Sample Completed Tasks Post:

Task 10.5 Under-rated

The Forty Days of Musa Dagh by Franz Werfel

>insert 100+ word review here<

+10 Task (109 ratings)
+ 5 Combo (10.6 Uncommon Letter)
+10 Review
+10 Translation
+10 Oldie (pub 1934)
+15 Jumbo (824 pages)

Task Total = 60

Grand Total = 410
(This total assumes that we're mid-season and you had already posted 350 points.)

Liz M | 2528 comments Christmas in Vegas sample completed post:

15.6 Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger, 289 pgs, pub 1920
I-J-K, 261-300, 1917-1928

+45 task points

Grand total: 565 points
(This total assumes that we are mid-season and you had already posted 520 points)

message 3: by Deana (last edited Dec 02, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

Deana Pittman Christmas in Vegas

15.1 The Yada Yada Prayer Group: book 1
by Neta Jackson.
I-J-K, 461-500, 2001-2012

+ 15 points

Grand Total: 15 points

Liz M | 2528 comments Deana wrote: "Christmas in Vegas

15.1 The Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson. My book had 496 pages.
I-J-K, 461-500, 2001-2012"

So, I am assuming you read this edition The Yada Yada Prayer Group: book 1.

Helpful hint for everyone: when adding a book using the "add book/author" link, you can type the isbn number in the search box & (in most cases) it will return the exact edition you have in your hands.

Deana Pittman Liz M wrote: "Deana wrote: "Christmas in Vegas

15.1 The Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson. My book had 496 pages.
I-J-K, 461-500, 2001-2012"

So, I am assuming you read this ed..."

Yes, this was the only copy my library had....So sorry, when I added the other edition with the correct page count, I deleted the wrong one...I have corrected my original post!

Liz M | 2528 comments Thanks!

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1985 comments Drat! I wanted to be first! I couldn't sleep last night and finished the latest Sue Grafton, but after I finished, I was too sleepy to get on the computer!

message 8: by Rebekah (last edited Dec 02, 2011 01:07PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1985 comments 20.10 Play the numbers
V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton
Review
Drat again! The book clearly states it takes place in 1988 I'm two years shy of the 25yr combo. I just love Sue Grafton! Who doesn't love the PI Kinsey Milhone? Stubborn, intelligent, tough, sassy but with a big heart, she bulldogs her way through all problems. This time she takes on a suicide investigation of a shoplifter that she was actually responsible for sending to jail. Unwittingly the FBI and local cops are doing a parallel investigation of a mafia type shop lifting ring and perhaps catching a corrupt cop as well. Naturally Kinsey puts herself in danger she always seems to, afterwards berating herself for her stupidity. I love the ending but I'm not going to spoil it, so read it for yourself. I know her diehard fans should enjoy this one.

+20 pts - Task (pub in 2011)
+ 5 pts - Combo
+10 pts - Review

35 pts - Task Total
35 pts - Grand Total
Liz, how is my addition so far? (smile)

Rachelccameron | 246 comments 10.7 What's Your Type

A Visit from the Goon Squadby Jennifer Egan

Wow, what an interesting read! Egan tricks readers into thinking this is a novel, but it is more of a collection of related short stories. It illuminates living in our technology age, but also highlights the 6 degrees of separation where everyone somehow has a connection to everyone else. The time settings vary from past, present and future for each of the characters. I really enjoyed her style of writing and storytelling, which is very honest. Positive and negative aspects of each characters life are shown and the thought processes are very human. A creatively written book!

+10 Task
- I am an ENTJ. E-J (Egan, Jennifer)
+ 15 Combo
-20.7 Baby its cold outside, (US Author),
-20.8 Fictional Fiction (refrences fictional works by musicians, also includes refrences an article written by one of the characters "Forty Minute Lunch: Kitty Jackson Opens Up About Love, Fame and Nixon!" as well as several other articles.
- 20.10 Play the Numbers (published in 2010)
+10 Review

Task Total: 35 pts
Grand Total: 35 pts

message 10: by Rebekah (last edited Dec 02, 2011 09:50PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1985 comments 15.1 CiV
Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner 192 pgs pub. 1984
A-B, 181 - 220, 1977-1988

+15 - Task total
50 pts - Grand Total

Liz M | 2528 comments Rebekah wrote: "20.10 Play the numbers

+ 5 pts - Combo
+10 pts - Review

35 pts - Task Total ..."

The addition is good, as long as you are claiming combo points for task 10.5.....?

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Dec 03, 2011 05:28AM) (new)

Liz M | 2528 comments 15.1 CiV - The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat, 130 pgs, pub 1937
G-H, 101-140, 1929-1940

+15 points

Grand Total: 15 points

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1985 comments Liz M wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "20.10 Play the numbers

+ 5 pts - Combo
+10 pts - Review

35 pts - Task Total ..."

The ..."

I was thinking 20.6. She discovers information about an shoplifting ring, police are also working on that and the Sheriff's dept and FBI are brought in as it turns out to be even bigger. She also gets information that she uses as evidence against a corrupt cop.
But I didn't think of 10.5. Since currently there are only 505 ratings, can I still use it?

message 14: by Camille (last edited Dec 03, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Camille Breckenridge TASK 15.1: CiV 1st read: The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.

REVIEW: I liked that the book begins as if the great disappearance or vanishing has happened just recently, but after that it takes a while to etch out each person's connection to the departed. The book never says if this departure is religious or not, it leaves it up to the reader to determine that for him/herself. The characters are well developed and thought-provoking. The reader sees inside the mind of the characters. I enjoyed the way the characters all faced the disappearances in different ways, just as we do when a major event happens and we lose ones we love. Grief takes on many forms. There were references to real people and events which made the book seem timely and relevant. The ending has a couple of little twists--just when I thought I had some of the characters figured out, they surprised me. Overall, a good read and I would recommend it.

+15: task (P-Q-R, 341-380/741-780, 2001-2012)
total task pts: +15

total RwS pts: 15

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2950 comments Great start, Camille! Just a note: for the CiV sub-challenge, there are no style points available.

Camille Breckenridge Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Great start, Camille! Just a note: for the CiV sub-challenge, there are no style points available."

Thanks! I have corrected my original post to reflect NO style pts! I'll figure this all out one day LOL

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2950 comments Camille wrote: "I'll figure this all out one day LOL"

It's that the 15-point sub-challenge has it's own rules. One of them is that those tasks don't ever intersect with the 10- and 20-pointers. Never fear, you'll get lots of help from everyone here. We're a small group who look out for each other.

message 18: by Deedee (last edited Dec 03, 2011 07:29PM) (new)

Deedee | 642 comments Task RWS: 20.7 - Elizabeth (Alaska)’s Task - Baby it's cold outside
Read a book where the author is from a country of which at least part is above the arctic circle:

Iceland

Jar City (#3 of series) by Arnaldur Indriðason (translated from the Icelandic by Bernard Scudder)

Review: Jar City is a police procedural mystery set in Iceland and written in Icelandic. The novel is successful as a police procedural. The narrative follows the inspector as he figures out who murdered the man introduced to the reader in the first sentence of the novel There is solid police work, a little bit of coincidence to speed the novel along, a little bit of Icelandic atmospherics, and a little bit of backstory for our inspector hero. The resolution has a modern feel to it. The title is tangential to the plot (but it’s better than the original Icelandic title which reveals the plot resolution in the title—I can see why they changed the title for the English translation). The verdict: A good genre read. And … they made a movie out of the novel (an Icelandic-speaking movie).

+20 Task
+ 10 Style: 2. Review (10 points):
+ 10 Style: 3. Lost in Translation (10 points): written originally in Icelandic

Task Total: 20 + 10 + 10 = 40

Grand Total: 0 + 40 =40

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) 20.2 A Tale of Two Cities
Blameless by Gail Carriger

I don't know quite how I would explain why I love Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series so much, but I really do. While not so good as the others, Blameless has that same mixture of wit and "d'aww" reaction that I enjoyed in the previous books. As always, Alexia is involved in crazy adventures and Conall rages about wildly. Well, that isn't all, but it does take up a fair amount. Basically, I continue to recommend these books to those who like Regency romances, even though these are set in Victorian times, as well as those who like light urban fantasy. There's a little something for everyone here. For me, it's on to Heartless! (Oh yes, ladybugs and pesto both play major roles in this. What's not to love?)

+20 Task (takes place in England, France & Italy)
+5 Combo (20.4 A Christmas Carol: set in the Victorian Era)
+5 Combo (20.7 Baby, It's Cold Outside: American author)
+10 Review

Task Total: 40

Grand Total: 40

message 20: by Rebekah (last edited Dec 05, 2011 08:47AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1985 comments 15.2 CiV
Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell 156 pgs pub. 1932
C-D 141-180 pgs 1929-1940
+30 pts - Task
80 pts - Grand Total

+20 pts - Task
70 pts - Grand Total

message 21: by Liz M (last edited Dec 04, 2011 05:23AM) (new)

Liz M | 2528 comments Rebekah wrote: "I was thinking 20.6. She discovers information about an shoplifting ring, police are also working on that and the Sheriff's dept and FBI are brought in as it turns out to be even bigger. She also gets information that she uses as evidence against a corrupt cop
But I didn't think of 10.5. Since currently there are only 505 ratings, can I still use it? ...."

Ah. I don't think it fits 20.6, as I think of that task as dealing with the court/legal system - the "order" half of Law & Order - and the Kinsey books usually deal with the "law" half.

So, no combo points for 20.6, yes to combo points for 10.5.

Liz M | 2528 comments Denae wrote: "20.2 A Tale of Two Cities

+5 Combo (20.4 A Christmas Carol: set in the Victorian Era)
+5 Combo (20.7 Baby, It's Cold Outside: American author)
+10 Review

Task Total: 40..."

Published in 2010, +5 combo points for 20.10.

Liz M | 2528 comments Rebekah wrote: "15.2 CiV

+30 pts - Task..."

15.2 is worth 20 points. Currently, I have your Grand Total as 70 points.

message 24: by Karen Michele (last edited Dec 06, 2011 07:18AM) (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1624 comments RwS:

Time to get on the board. I actually am starting with my own task this time!

10.8 – Karen’s Task – Chinese New Year

This is a book by an author born in Vietnam and the first third of the book takes place in Vietnam. It also opens on Tet, the lunar New Year, which was a surprise!

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
800 Lexile

Inside Out & Back Again, 2011 YA National Book Award winner by Thanhha Lai, opens on Tet, the first day of the lunar calendar in Saigon, Vietnam. It's 1975 and the Vietnam War is raging around Ha's family and changing their way of life forever. As events unfold, her family is forced to leave everything they know and travel by boat to Guam and then are sponsored and move to Alabama. The pain of assimilation hits Ha hard. Perhaps the most poignant being the frustrations of learning a new language and knowing for the first time in her life, "so this is what dumb feels like" (157). Like the author, who tells this story from her own memories of fleeing Vietnam and building a new life in the United States, Ha begins to grasp the language and adjust to her new life as the year progresses. Highly recommended.

+10 Task
+20 Combo: 10.5 Underrated (898, 12/4/11) / 20.2 Tale of Two Cities (Vietnam and US) / 20.4 Christmas Carol (pub: 2011, takes place: 1975) / 20.10 Play the Numbers (2011)
+10 Review

Task Total: 40 (love the combos this time!)

Liz M | 2528 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "+25 Combo: ...20.5 David Copperfield (Author’s Note, p. 261 (much of what happened to Ha…also happened to me)...."

For 20.5 the book must either be a non-fiction autobiography or appear on the pages linked in the task. Unfortunately this book does not qualify.

message 26: by Karen Michele (last edited Dec 06, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1624 comments Liz M wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "+25 Combo: ...20.5 David Copperfield (Author’s Note, p. 261 (much of what happened to Ha…also happened to me)...."

For 20.5 the book must either be a non-fiction autobiography o..."

Oh, thanks. I forgot it had to be listed. My task choice is listed, though, thankfully;)

PS - I just edited this on my post and took off the 5 combo points.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1985 comments Liz M wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "15.2 CiV

+30 pts - Task..."

15.2 is worth 20 points. Currently, I have ..."

Woo Hoo! my addition was fine. It was my head that was wrong! i was thinking increments of 15pts instead of 5pts. I'm glad because hopefully adding 5 pts at a time should be less chance of errors than adding 15 pts in my head.

Joanna (Walker) | 506 comments 10.4 Love is in the Air

Rabbit, Run by John Updike
Book #41 on the Illicit Love list.

I can't evaluate this book fairly as a piece of literature because I have too much personal connection wrapped up in it. That said, I really didn't like this book and sort of wish I hadn't read it. First, my father read this book (and the rest of the series, at least those that were out at the time) around the time I was in junior high or high school and was super-positive about them and kept recommending that I read them. I can't express how glad I am that I did not do so at that time. This book is full of squicky sex scenes and elaborate musings on things like the sexiness of the lactating breasts of the title character's wife. I would not have wanted to read this, particularly at my father's recommendation, when I was 12 or 13.

Also, it's clear that my father strongly identified with the title character. Unfortunately, the title character is pretty much horrid and the book traces his leaving his wife and having an affair while the wife is pregnant with their second child. While I didn't know this in high school, turns out this is a lot closer to my father's reality than I'd really like to have spent a novel-worth of time thinking about.

(view spoiler)

So, I know this is supposed to be a remarkable piece of literature and all that, but I definitely wish I'd had the sense to read some reviews first and realize that it wasn't a good choice for me.

+10 Task
+10 Review
+5 Oldies (1967)

Task total: 25

Grand total: 25

Liz M | 2528 comments Joanna wrote: "10.4 Love is in the Air

+10 Task
+10 Review
+5 Oldies (1967)

Task total: 25..."

+5 combo 10.9 - 1st book of Rabbit series
+5 combo 20.7 - USA

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Liz M wrote: "Denae wrote: "20.2 A Tale of Two Cities

+5 Combo (20.4 A Christmas Carol: set in t..."

Thank you for catching that!

message 31: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Dec 04, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 932 comments 10.5 Underrated
"The Storyteller of Marrakesh" by Joydeep Bhattacharya 107 ratings

Review: I read this book for my book club and I don't know who picks these books but they are less than to be desired. This book is about a storyteller who tells a story that happened in his village. Two tourists visit from another country and they mysteriously disappear. While he tells the story, the audience interjects with their points of view so it is told from more than one narrator. It gets confusing because you aren't sure who is telling the story and people see different things. I only rated this book 2 stars.

Task +10
Style Points Review +10
Book Total: 30
Grand Total 30

Joanna (Walker) | 506 comments Liz M wrote: "Joanna wrote: "10.4 Love is in the Air

+5 combo 10.9 - 1st book of Rabbit series
+5 combo 20.7 - USA "

Thanks for the catch. I'm glad to get some extra points for this book since I disliked it so much.

Rachelccameron | 246 comments 20.7 Baby It's Cold Outside
Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Review: As this series progresses, I enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries more and more. In this book, the supernatural characters of witches and fairies are introduced. I love seeing how each author gives different characteristics/mythology to each creature. I particularly enjoy the Weres in this series. My favorite character is Eric and delightfully this book features him quite a lot and shows a rather different side of him. Bubba comes in again (always funny) and I enjoyed how the supes joined together to combat the witches. I am interested to see how things will turn out with Jason, and how much a part of Sookie's world he will become... Although this is a book of pure fluff, I'd give it 3.5 stars for sheer entertainment value.

+20 Task (US author)
+10 Review

Task Total: 30
Grand Total: 65 points

Cait (caitertot) 10.4 Love is in the Air
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
(#7 on the Crazy Love list)

This was my first book by Eugenides and one of the best books I've read all year. It was haunting and heartbreaking. Normally I get annoyed when I read a book that "tells" rather than "shows", but for once it was actually crucial to the story. The first person plural narration was brilliant. I felt like I was right there with the boys, peering out windows and watching the Lisbon girls, feeling at once captivated and mystified by them. There's one scene in particular (at a Homecoming dance) that made my chest ache, made me wish so badly that things would turn out differently than the inevitable outcome I had been told to expect from the very first page. No such luck. This book is a new favorite, and one that stays with you long after you finish reading it. I look forward to reading his other two.

+10 Task
+10 Review
+5 combo (20.7 Baby It's Cold Outside - United States)
Task Total: 25 points

Grand Total: 25 points

itpdx | 448 comments 20.10 Play the numbers
Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World by Michael Lewis
Published 2011
Review: Michael Lewis has a knack for explaining financial maneuverings clearly. In this book he takes on the global financial crisis that was triggered by the subprime mortgage melt down in the US. He visits Iceland, Greece, Ireland, Germany and California. He comes up with some kind of simplistic ideas about how the culture of each place underlies the financial problems that they are experiencing. Icelandic men are risk takers--they would have been better off if the country's banks had been run by women. The Greeks no longer have an idea of the common good and are willing to blame anyone else for their problems and are not willing to accept the consequences of their actions. Whereas the Irish are willing to take on the sins of others and the Germans want strict rules to follow and are unwilling to admit that something "smells" if it meets the rules. And Americans are short-term thinkers.

The scenes from Vallejo, California going through bankruptcy are very sobering.

Lots of room for thought, entertainingly written, and not particularly optimistic.

Task: 20
Combo: 10 (20.7 Baby It's Cold Outside - United States), (20.2 At least 2 different countries--Iceland, Ireland, Greece, Germany, US)
Review: 10
Task Total: 40

message 36: by nsfancy (last edited Dec 05, 2011 02:30PM) (new)

nsfancy Task 20.10 Play the numbers I Am Half-Sick of Shadows: A Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley

+20 Task (pub 2011)
+15 Combo (20.7 - Canada, 10.5 - 880 ratings at posting, 20.4 - set in 1950)

Task Total = 35

Grand Total = 35

nsfancy Task 20.6 Bleak House The Case of the Careless Kitten by Erle Stanley Gardner

+20 task
+10 combo (10.5 - 87 ratings, 20.10 - pub. 1942)
+5 oldie (1942)

Task Total 35

Grand Total 70

message 38: by Liz (last edited Dec 05, 2011 07:29PM) (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) Task 20.4 Ready Player Oneby Ernest Cline

What's not to love? If the movie, Idiocracy and the book, The Hunger Games had a love child, this novel would be it. Set in a dystopian future, where the world is in ruin, and people escape their real lives to be a part of a virtual world called OASIS. In OASIS, you can be anyone or anything, a true escape from real life troubles. The sky is the limit.
Without belaboring the plot, this is a novel of true adventure, that has you rooting for the underdog. Anyone who has ever played a video game, and enjoyed it, will truly be sucked in. This book was written with the child of the 80's in mind. Goonies, Atari 2600, and John Hughes' are only surface scratchers of the 80s references! This novel is not your typical science fiction read, and was enjoyable on so many levels.

+20 task (20.4)
+10 review
+10 combo (20.10, 10.10)

= 40 task total

Paula | 136 comments Hahaha, Liz Vegas! I love your "love child" comment! I am finishing up Something Wicked This Way Comes and have been thinking about what I have to say about it. My first thought was "if a C.S. Lewis book and a Stephen King book had a baby book..."

message 40: by Krista (last edited Dec 06, 2011 07:15AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments In Msg 31 -- Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "10.5 Underrated
"The Storyteller of Marrakesh" by Joydeep Bhattacharya 107 ratings

Review: I read this book for my book club and I don't know who picks these books but they are less than to be des...

Task +10
Style Points Review +10
Book Total: 30
Grand Total 30
..."

Hi Jayme: Unless you're including undefined combo points, I believe your points for this book = 20.
+10 Task
+10 Review
Task Total = 20

Maybe you can correct this in the post now before Liz gets to the scorekeeping process. If not, she'll catch it then. Thanks! -Krista

message 41: by Deana (last edited Dec 06, 2011 11:31AM) (new)

Deana Pittman Task 10.6 The Uncommon Letter

I read Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of the lost daughters of China by Xinran.

+ 10 points

My Review:
Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother was a beautifully written book about many things, but mostly, it was about mothers and daughters. As the mother of an adopted daughter from China, I often get quotes from people like, “Oh, yeah, they throw the girls away in China…” and the like…Although that is true from one perspective, this book brings to light so many more: what these mothers go through before, during, and after. The book is filled with stories of birth mothers and their experiences, information about the orphanages in China, and even the author’s own story of her “relationship” with her mother. The customs are strange and foreign to us, but I love that this book gives personal accounts of the love and sacrifice that these mothers make for these baby girls that are no longer with them, whether by death or abandonment. I don’t know the story of my daughter’s birth mother, but I hope one day stories like this will give her an indication that she was loved and wanted by another mother, even if not by the culture.

+10 points

+ 5 Combo Points (10.5, 214 ratings)
+ 5 Combo Points (10.8 Asian author/Asian country)
+ 5 Combo Points (20.10 published 2010)...Thanks, Elizabeth!
= 35 task points

GRAND TOTAL: 50 Points

message 42: by Deana (last edited Dec 06, 2011 01:35PM) (new)

Deana Pittman 10.5 Underrated (this book had 624 reviews)

I read There's Something About Christmas by Debbie Macomber.

+ 10 points

My Review:
The book There’s Something about Christmas is a typical heartwarming Christmas romance. I enjoyed the book, especially for this time of year! The characters are vivid and likeable; if you are a Debbie Macomber lover, you will not be disappointed. Her style of developing the characters and the storyline is evident throughout this book. The couple is an unlikely match trying to find romance through some very interesting situations and misunderstandings. A major theme in this book is fruitcake—the main character is a newspaper reporter covering the stories of the finalists for a national fruitcake competition. So, there are some interesting recipes for fruitcake in there as well!

+10 points

= 20 task points

GRAND TOTAL: 70 Points

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2950 comments Deana wrote: "Task 10.6 The Uncommon Letter

I read Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of the lost daughters of China by Xinran.

+ 10 points

My Review:
Messag..."

And combo points for 20.10 Play the Numbers, as it was published in 2010.

Rosemary | 879 comments 15.1 CiV
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, 576 pp, pub 2003
E-F, 541-580, 2001-2012

+15 task points

Grand total: 15 points

My first claim, I hope it is right :-)

Deana Pittman Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Deana wrote: "Task 10.6 The Uncommon Letter

+ 10 points

My Review:..."

Thanks! I have corrected my previous posts to reflect the additional points! I appreciate the heads up, Elizabeth!

message 46: by Sanz (last edited Dec 08, 2011 03:12AM) (new)

Sanz | 43 comments Task 20.10 - Sam’s Task - Play the numbers

Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris by David King

Review...

This is a true account of Marcel Petiot, a serial killer in Nazi-Occupied Paris. The book kicks off with the discovery of dismembered bodies in a basement, the chase for the elusive killer and wraps up with the courtroom drama. Official figures of victims stands at 27, but the actual number could have been closer to 63 or even upward.

Marcel Petiot would have several claims about his victims; they were Gestapo agents, they were traitors, they deserved to die. He would claim that he himself was a patriot, a Resistant fighter. But most of these claims would fall flat for several of Petiot’s victims were actually Jews trying to flee the country.

The book got clouded at times while it was interesting in certain other parts. The trial following Petiot’s arrest was more of a theatre with Petiot countering the arguments of the prosecution and the witnesses with witty remarks.

Overall an average read.

+20 Task (published in 2011)
+ 5 Combo (10.5 Underrated)
+10 Review

Task Total = 35

Grand Total = 35

Deedee | 642 comments Joanna wrote: "10.4 Love is in the Air

I can't evaluate this book fairly as a piece of literature because I have too mu..."

Thanks for the review Joanna -- I read the spoiler and that was enough to permanently knock this one off my TBR list.

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments Sanskriti wrote: "Task 20.10 - Sam’s Task - Play the numbers

Death in the City of Light by David King

Review...

This is a true account of Marcel Petiot, a serial killer in Nazi-Occupied Paris. The book kicks off..."

Hi Sanskriti: -- Welcome to the Reading with Style Winter Challenge! If you could add your book title and author using the 'add book/author' link found at the top of the Comment box when you're posting your message that would be helpful. That way your book title and author are added as links. It's easier to access the book and/or author that way if we as scorekeepers need more information about it, and it's easier for other challenge participants to delve into the book information if it looks interesting to them.

Here's an example of the book posted using the links feature:
Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris by David King

Thanks so much!! Let us know if you have any questions about how to use the 'add book/author' feature.

message 49: by Arow (last edited Dec 07, 2011 06:57AM) (new)

Arow | 226 comments 15.1 Just Kids by Patti Smith, 279 pgs, pub 2010
S-T-U, 261-300/661-700, 2001-2012

** Goodreads shows this as 304 pages but the page numbers end at 279 for the actual novel. The pages afterwards are poems and photos.

+15 Task Points

Just Kids by Patti Smith was a beautiful, emotional, lyrical story of Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe’s unique love story. I knew very little about Patti Smith and nothing of Robert Mapplethorpe prior to reading this novel and I want to embrace both of them now that I have an understanding of where their art came from.

The story follows Patti and Robert briefly through their childhood, explaining what lead them both separately to the streets of New York City where they meet and did not separate again for a very long time.

Patti details their life together through the development of Robert’s art and the encouragement and life he provided her to develop her own voice through poetry, art and eventually song.

Their love story is unique and unconventional but appears to be pure and everlasting. I would like to thank Patti for writing the story of their love in a way that can be shared with everyone regardless of what they knew before. I have given this novel 5 stars and I have already recommended it to friends.

Arow | 226 comments 20.2 - Tale of Two Cities
Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes

I bought Rachel’s Wedding at a publisher’s book sale solely due to how cute I thought the cherries on the cover were. This was the surprise book of the year for me. I was not expecting to be drawn in and to feel as much as I felt while reading this novel.

This was my first Marian Keyes book and it will not be my last. Marian has a very strong voice and her ability to write in the first person is intense. The emotional journey that Rachel experiences through out this novel reached me on many different levels. The understanding and knowledge that Marian Keyes is able to portray through all the characters in the book was remarkable to me. No character was under developed; I thought I know them all personally.

If you decide to read this book be aware that there are a lot of honest truths surrounding drug and alcohol use in society brought to attention. It will be an emotional roller-coaster of one women’s journey out of a very dark emotional state into the real world.

I HIGHLY recommend this novel. I gave it 5 stars.

+20 Task (New York and Dublin)
+10 Review
+5 Jumbo (625 pages)

Task Total = 35

Grand Total = 50

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.