The Book Addicts! discussion

Non-Fiction > January 2012 Nominations

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Ok, under the new format, we will select a book each month.

*All nominations should be books that were published at least one year ago.

*All nominations will fall in the non-fiction category of Biography and Memoirs for January

Sandy | 210 comments Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments I nominate Out of Africa.

message 8: by Sally906 (last edited Nov 30, 2011 09:28PM) (new)

message 9: by Angela (last edited Dec 01, 2011 02:52AM) (new)

Angela I nominate Mankind by Mick Foley. I don't know how to put the links in to the book sorry.

Sherin Punnilath (Shery_7) | 42 comments Open by Andre Agassi

@Angela: Please click on 'add book/author' link on top of the comment box and you'll get the option to add links.:)

message 12: by Angela (last edited Dec 01, 2011 03:43AM) (new)

Angela @Angela: Please click on 'add book/author' link on top of the comment box and you'll get the option to add links.:)"

Oo, thank you very much. I don't know why I have never noticed that before! Ok, here's the link:

Have A Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks by Mick Foley

I nominate this book because I went to see his stand-up comedy show a few weeks back and thought he was great. I am not a fan of wrestling and know very little about it but I promised my boyfriend I would at least attempt to read this autobiography so it would be nice to have more of a motive to do so.

Colleen | 324 comments Out of Africa sounds really good.I second it

Jolene (SmithJolene) Kayla wrote: "Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey"

ooooh, I will second this. It has been on my shelf for a while and I still have not read it.

Bob Arnold | 661 comments As a young boy I was able to dream about being the first person on the moon. Now young kids can only dream about being the nest person on the moon. I nominate First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong who was the first man on the moon.

Karen | 258 comments This one looks intriguing, and has really good reviews, only draw back is it's massive, over 700 pages.

John Adams

Adriana | 22 comments I nominate Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi. It's a powerful memoir, and a good reminder to be thankful for everything we have and for the people we are.

Bonnie | 229 comments Jill wrote: "Ok, under the new format, we will select a book each month.

*All nominations should be books that were published at least one year ago.

*All nominations will fall in the non-fiction category..."

Musical Chairs by Jen Knox

This one is well reviewed and sounds unique and interesting.

Bonnie | 229 comments Musical Chairs explores one family's history of mental health diagnoses and searches to define the cusp between a '90s working-class childhood and the trouble of adapting to a comfortable life in the suburbs. In order to understand her restlessness, Jennifer reflects on years of strip-dancing, alcoholism, and estrangement. Inspired by the least likely source, the family

Martha (marthas48) | 3029 comments Karen wrote: "This one looks intriguing, and has really good reviews, only draw back is it's massive, over 700 pages.

John Adams"

I love this one, Karen. I read it last year with some friends. It had been languishing on my bookcase for several years. :-)

Marialyce | 1240 comments Martha wrote: "Karen wrote: "This one looks intriguing, and has really good reviews, only draw back is it's massive, over 700 pages.

John Adams"

I love this one, Karen. I read it last year with..."

This one was fabulous. It is long as Martha said, but wow! What a book and what an author Mr McCullough is!

Marialyce | 1240 comments Sherin wrote: "Open by Andre Agassi

@Angela: Please click on 'add book/author' link on top of the comment box and you'll get the option to add links.:)"

Probably one of the best autobiographies I have ever read!

Sera Lindsay wrote: "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin"

This one is a beast but well worth the read. A big 5 stars from me.

Sera Sherin wrote: "Open by Andre Agassi

@Angela: Please click on 'add book/author' link on top of the comment box and you'll get the option to add links.:)"

I really enjoyed this one as well. A good pick for a nice change of non-fiction pace.

Sera I'd like to second Einstein  His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. I have this one on my TBR and would like to read it.

Aravind P | 4 comments I nominte Christ stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi. I bought this book reading about the review on the movie of same name. Haven't watched the movie yet, didn't want to until I read the book.

message 28: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 01, 2011 09:03AM) (new)

Jennifer I nominate Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman by Alice Steinbach. This one has been on my TBR for way too long!

Rachelle (Awaken80) | 278 comments What a great group of books! I've added several to my TBR list!

Alkatraz | 62 comments I would like to nominate I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years Away by Bill Bryson. It may be a short collection of essays but it was a great read!

message 32: by Kimberly (last edited Dec 01, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

Kimberly I nominate The Great Safari  The Lives of George and Joy Adamson, Famous for Born Free by Adrian House

Michelle (marcher08) | 959 comments Sandra wrote: "Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer"

I'll second this one.

Bill | 4196 comments A book I bought for the missus last year, that I've wanted to read.

The Fry Chronicles, by Stephen Fry

Maggie | 864 comments Lots and lots of good books nominated, many of which I have read. If I have to choose one I'll second Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. It was a true page turner and though I normally read several books simultaneously, I found that I read this one to the exclusion of all the others.

Stephen (SPG-) | 219 comments Sherin wrote: "Open by Andre Agassi

I'll second that one.

Tpal007 | 7 comments Oops, i think i added my books in the wrong place: hello newbie.
Anyway, here are my two suggestions.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

Moon | 214 comments Bea wrote: "Speak Memory by Vladimir Nabokov"

I'll second that. It's one I've been wanting to read.

message 41: by Denise (last edited Dec 03, 2011 11:53AM) (new)

Angela Bill wrote: "A book I bought for the missus last year, that I've wanted to read.

The Fry Chronicles, by Stephen Fry"

Oh, good choice, this has been on my bookshelf since last xmas. I second this one but also keeping my nomination in!

Daphne (Daphne2163) | 238 comments Jill wrote: "I nominate Out of Africa."

I will third this. I've always wanted to read it and it's been on my bookshelf forever.

message 44: by Kayla (last edited Dec 02, 2011 12:46PM) (new)

Kayla | 113 comments Daphne wrote: "Jill wrote: "I nominate Out of Africa."

I will third this. I've always wanted to read it and it's been on my bookshelf forever."

I've been wanting to read Out of Africa too. I actually wouldn't mind if it won over my own nomination. :)

Ellen | 200 comments I'd like to nominate Roger Ebert's book, "Life Itself". Looks like a fabulous read!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 46: by Krista (last edited Dec 03, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 24 comments I'd like to nominate; The Glass Castle The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls by Jeannette Walls

It has been on my TBR pile for years now, and I've heard such good things about it. Perhaps this will be the encouragement I need to get it read.

Julie Wann | 9 comments Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone
by Martin Dugard

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59...

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Hi Jennifer, I assume that is the story of the new Matt Damon movie I see advertised on TV? I didn't know it was a true story!

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments I think we will wait until the main group selection voting is complete before I open our poll to eliminate any confusion.

Stay tuned!

« previous 1