Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Administrivia > Nomination methods

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Hey guys I was wondering what everyone else thought about changing the nomination system in the new year to something more interesting like voting for books based upon certain topics. We could sort out a list of topics for each month and then nominate based on those topics or we could vote for topics as the months come around. What do you all think?

Samantha Savage (SamSavage) | 21 comments I think that is a great idea!

message 3: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Yeah, me too. Lets do that.

Fayley | 89 comments For our secondary read why don't we do some of the books that got lots of votes in previous polls?

Stephen M. | 94 comments Fayley wrote: "For our secondary read why don't we do some of the books that got lots of votes in previous polls?"

Nominating by topics, and secondary reads based on votes both sound like good ideas to me.

message 6: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Sure! For this next month I'll make a poll based on previous reads (as well as the usual nomination method for the usual monthly read?)

Stephen M. | 94 comments Jonathan wrote: "Sure! For this next month I'll make a poll based on previous reads (as well as the usual nomination method for the usual monthly read?)"

Sounds good to me.

J.D. Hallowell | 63 comments Jonathan wrote: "Sure! For this next month I'll make a poll based on previous reads (as well as the usual nomination method for the usual monthly read?)"

Sounds like a plan.

message 9: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments As a newcomer here, can I suggest some boilerplate describing what these monthly nominations are for? And what the criteria are for the nominees? (And also where to find prior winners, if that exists; I found a few older nomination threads going back to October.) Perhaps it could be copied and pasted into each future nomination announcement.

Xdyj | 417 comments Prior nominees & winners can be found in the old polls. I'm not sure about the other two questions.

message 11: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments G33z3r wrote: "As a newcomer here, can I suggest some boilerplate describing what these monthly nominations are for? And what the criteria are for the nominees? (And also where to find prior winners, if that exi..."

Ah sure...um can you extrapolate on the 'boiler plate' idea?

message 12: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited Nov 19, 2012 05:07AM) (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Sure. Boilerplate is just a template block of text that can be repurposed easily. In this case, it might read something like this, allowing for the fact that I'm making some of it up based on what I've surmised:
---

This thread is to nominate a fantasy or sci-fi short story, novella, or anthology of shorter works for our group read and discussion in December. (A short story would typically be under 100 printed pages or 25,000 words in length. It's also helpful with the story is still available either individually or in some anthology.)

You can review past nominees and winners in the group's polls.

Nominations are open until the 20th of the month, when I will post a poll of the nominated titles so members can vote on their choice.

---

This thread is to nominate a contemporary fantasy or sci-fi novel for our group read and discussion in December. (A contemporary novel would typically have been published after 1970. It's helpful if the novel is still in-print. It's also best if the novel doesn't require having read many previous novels in the series, so anyone can participate.)

Nominations are open until December 20th, when I will post a poll of the nominated titles so members can vote on their choice.

---

This thread is to nominate a classic fantasy or sci-fi novel for our group read and discussion in December. (A classic novel would typically have been published prior to 1980 and generally be considered a popular or important work of science fiction or fantasy. It's also best if the novel doesn't require having read many previous novels in the series, so anyone can participate.)

Nominations are open until 20th of the month, when I will post a poll of the nominated titles so members can vote on their choice.

---
My thought is that you can just copy and paste the same text every month, changing only the name of the month.

I ask because when I first read the "December contemporary nominations" post, I thought perhaps it might be nominations for the best book published in December; then I realized it couldn't be, because no one could have read books published in December yet (duh!). So then I thought, maybe most anticipated? Then I finally grokked that it was for the planned book discussions! And then I wonder if there were guidelines for calling something "classic", and what qualified as a "short story" (since "The Last Unicorn" and "Flowers for Algernon" are about the same length, and "Smoke and Mirrors" is an anthology.) I suppose the answer is: it is whatever people vote it as.

(Thank you Xdyj for the poll link.)

PS: I edited this post to remove a dictation error. (Usually, when I say "scratch that", Dragon software removes the previous phrase I spoke; for some reason, it actually inserted the phrase this time, and I didn't notice! Doh!)

PPS. I edited this post to add a sentence to the proposed boilerplate suggesting a good nomination isn't a book at the end of a series, so the discussion can be easily joined by those who haven't read the prequels.)

message 13: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Oh yeah, thanks for the insight. If I haven't got around to it tomorrow then I'll get round to it shortly afterwards!

message 14: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Also, is there a one nomination per person per category per month limit? :)

message 15: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments G33z3r wrote: "Also, is there a one nomination per person per category per month limit? :)"

We haven't been sticking to that no more like 2 or 3 since not a lot of people nominate. I'm going to go to bed, look forward to seeing what you nominate!

message 16: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Do you folks nominate books or stories you have already read? Or do you nominate titles you (think) they want to read but haven't read?

If you nominate something you've already read, do you re-read it in order to discuss it?

It seems if I nominate (or just vote for) something I haven't read yet, but is already on my to-read list, I don't really know for sure what I'm nominating; but, I'm more likely to actually read it!

message 17: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments We nominate a mixture. Books the group might want to read so we can discuss the books. Books we haven't read that sound good. And so on...

message 18: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments
Jonathan wrote: "I'm thinking after December we should cease with the short story thread and run with the contemporary and classic nominations if that's fine with everyone? We're not nominating a lot of stories any..."
Is there a classic nomination thread? I only see contemporary & short story threads.
Jonathan wrote: "We have a list of classics we were picking from randomly... I'm thinking of changing that for next year and replacing the short story with having classic nominations if fellow mods and group members..."
Since I rather enjoy short stories, I wonder if we could retain short fiction read for we happy few who are interested in them? Perhaps we can fit both anthologies and individual short fiction (including novellas) into this category.

(Moved this here from December short story nomination thread.)

message 19: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Okay, sure, well there will be a poll for the 'classic' from the list this time and then next year we can add in another thread to nominate classics. Which would be pre 1990s I think. And now that you mention it the short story thing does work.

message 20: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments What would people think about staggering the start date for our group read and discussion of novels each month? Meaning, instead of starting the discussion of two novels (one classic, one contemporary) on the first of the month, starting one on the first of the month and the other on the 15th? It occurs to me that might be more convenient for anyone planning on participating in both discussions (though, since discussions are open-ended, there's certainly nothing to stop someone from jumping into a discussion weeks or even months after it begins.)

Just thinking out loud here...

message 21: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments That could work. I'd have to see what the others think though!

Stef | 56 comments G33z3r wrote: "What would people think about staggering the start date for our group read and discussion of novels each month? Meaning, instead of starting the discussion of two novels (one classic, one contempor..."

I think is ok, people have no much time to read and discuss 2-3 books in the same time. At least I can't.

Xdyj | 417 comments G33z3r wrote: "What would people think about staggering the start date for our group read and discussion of novels each month? Meaning, instead of starting the discussion of two novels (one classic, one contempor..."

I agree.

message 24: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited Apr 06, 2013 08:29PM) (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Stef wrote: "I think is ok, people have no much time to read and discuss 2-3 books at the same time. At least I can't."

Me neither. With 3 books for this group and one or two for other groups, plus the fact that all the new SF/F magazines all seem to arrive on my Kindle near the start of the month, I sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed.

I didn't want to presume to change things with just a "maybe" from veteran moderator Jonathan. But now that you & vetmod Xdyj have chimed in as well, unless there are objections, I'll see about starting to migrate to a more spread-out discussion schedule next month. (Discussions are open-ended, there's certainly no reason the start of a new discussion need stop any on-going discussions.)

message 25: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Xdyj wrote: "I agree."

Okay.

message 26: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments There you go. It has to be confirmed with the voice of other mods!

message 27: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited Apr 03, 2014 07:05AM) (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Announcement chyron

Starting in June (2013) I'm going to switch our group's schedule for monthly book reading and discussion so that all three don't start on the same day. Hopefully, that will give those who wish to participate in discussions of more than one of our monthly selections more time to find and read the book.

So, our Classic SF/F Novel discussion will begin on the 1st of the month; our Short Story/Novella/Anthology discussion on the 11th of the month; and our Contemporary SF/F Novel discussion we'll start on the 21st of the month. I'll be staggering the start of the nomination and voting process as well to match. ± 3dB.

Note this doesn't mean that discussions are intended to end after 10 days; as always, they can continue indefinitely as long as people have thoughts they wish to add. (I'm hoping truncated discussions aren't an unintended side effect of the change.)

To smooth the schedule transition, and so you don't feel a lengthy gap between Contemporary Novels, I'm planning a special bonus contemporary book choice for late May, using a shortened selection process from among this year's Hugo and Nebula Awards nominees. (Don't worry, it's strictly extra credit, and won't be on the final exam. ;) More about that in May...

message 28: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Announcement chyron

A couple of people (myself included) have observed that some of our group "book club" discussions don't attract much participation. Before we resume our "normal" (non-award season) selection process, I thought I would ask for suggestions for improving that selection process or the discussions themselves.
Our current process has three discussions per month, one a "Classic Novel" (starting the 1st of the month), one a short story/novella/anthology (starting the 11th of the month), and one a "Contemporary Novel" (starting the 21st of the month). Book selection is by open nomination followed by a vote (plurality wins.) The dividing line between Classic and Contemporary is arbitrarily set at 1990. At the moment, the book is selected about one month before the anticipated discussion (meaning the nominations start about six weeks before the discussion is scheduled.)

Are there too many discussions? Not enough notice? Poor selection process/mechanics? Do we need different categories? Are people just not interest in the whole "book club" structure?

This topic is open to suggestions, questions and discussion about how we select our monthly reads and discussions....

Mika Wood | 104 comments An observation more than anything - most people are members of multiple groups and there will be selections of the month for each group.

I find myself reading the books tht attract me most as well as some that aren't in groups, so reading time has some limitations. Sometimes my own participation is affected by how much the book will cost to buy.

Books that win awards are more liklely to be expensive, so maybe staggering and more notice will make a difference. I find more of interest in the books that don't get submitted for awards actually.

I've noted in other groups that themes will draw interest. Things like space opera or time travel appeal to a certain percentage of readers, so readers are more likely to find the winning book of interest even if their own nomination doesn't win.

message 30: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited May 11, 2014 06:48PM) (new)

G33z3r | 2474 comments Note: Per a discussion about nominating/discussing books that are part of a series, we've removed the restriction on nominating books that are not the first in a series.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Last Unicorn (other topics)
Smoke and Mirrors (other topics)