Outlander Series discussion

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about A Discovery of Witches
Other Notable Series > ***SPOILERS***A Discovery of Witches

Comments (showing 1-50 of 562) (562 new)    post a comment »

Dee (austhokie) | 901 comments In all its spoilerific glory...

message 2: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1220 comments Thanks Dee! :)

Ladyhawk | 934 comments I'm thinking I need folks to discuss this book with! I love the premise and location as well as the preternatural elements included. I get frustrated though with Diana's hesitation to do anything proactive or constructive!! Ugh!

Terry's response: I am glad to discuss it here but think it needs it's own thread. I really thought Diana acted the way she would considering the spell on her and her years of denying her magic. It is taking her a long time to get past that and her refusal to be what she actually is, but I think that is understandable. If she were super assertive she would not be able to have a relationship with a centuries old alpha vampire with a huge protective nature!

Ladyhawk | 934 comments Ok, so I am half way through the book! And whoa! What did I get myself into! I am a spoiler loving kinda girl tho!
Diana has a spell on her???!!
Yes, keeping Matthews protective nature in mind, I still think she's a wuss! LOL! Just kidding! To brave the presence of this ancient vampire and captivate him as she has, has earned her my respect!

But once her powers start asserting themselves without her consciously calling them, I would expect she is going to "wake up", so to speak ,and take hold of the reigns I hope!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments I don't want to spoil it for you .. But her powers will wake up .. So hold onto to your hat .. All will be okay

Ladyhawk | 934 comments Ok fine!

This is one of many scenes I love!

" What do I smell like?" I asked, toying with the stem of my wineglass.
"For a few moment, its seemed as though he wasn't going to answer. The silence stretched thin before he turned wistful eyes on me. His lids fell, and he inhaled deeply."
"You smell of willow sap. And chamomile that's been crushed underfoot." He sniffed again and smiled a small, sad smile. "There's honeysuckle and fallen oak leaves, too," he said softly, breathing out, "along with witch hazel blooming and the first narcissus of spring. And ancient things - horehound, frankincense, lady's mantle. Scents I thought I'd forgotten."

His eyes opened slowly, and I looked into their gray depths, afraid to breath and break the spell his words had cast."

WOW! Ask a question...

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 292 comments I thought one of the most effective things the author did in this book was in the beginning Diana referred to Matthew as "the vampire". There is something about that..... then as the story progresses she begins to refer to him as Matthew, but at times she reverts back to "the vampire". At times he is. It was very well done. Gosh there were so many scenes that I loved. Will need to go back and look. I've read it once and listened to the awesome audio book. This was my favorite read of 2011.

Laura P | 114 comments There are so many wonderful scenes! And I loved nearly all the characters besides Diana and Matthew... such a colorful bunch! LOL..... I don't want to say too much and spoil anything for everyone.... but just wait til you get into the second half!!!

Ladyhawk | 934 comments You ladies are killing me!

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Glad to see this here! Do we have to use spoiler spaces here. Don't know if I can master that.

Ladyhawk | 934 comments I vote no to hiding spoilers. The tag line for the thread already warns of spoilers! ;0)

Yes Terry, the authors use of each creatures prejudices creates a cautionary tale. A bit sad too. They could have learned and flourished had they been wise enough to benefit from each others strengths.
HI! Laura!

I love Diana's response to Matthews question of what he smelled like!! Cinnamon and Cloves! Two of my favorite scents!

Laura P | 114 comments Hi everyone.
I'm so glad I came across the recommendation for this book here. I've had it on my TBR list for a while, but it kept getting lost among all those other books. I recently joined another group that was reading it this month as a group read, so I jumped at the opportunity to move it to the top of my list and dive into it.

I could hardly put it down once I started. I had it read in two days..... oh the agony.... now we have to wait until next summer for the second book to be released!

There's just something about Matthew and his fierce protective nature that makes him so appealing.... vampire and all! LOL

Carol L | 218 comments I remember thinking that Diane is named in honor of "you-know-who" and the writing certainly is 'nearly' up to her level.

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I thought one of the most effective things the author did in this book was in the beginning Diana referred to Matthew as "the vampire". There is something about that..... then as the story progre..."

I am actually listening to the book .... l love the narrator .. I usually commute to work on a train... I think I oversleep so I can drive and listen

message 15: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2920 comments As long as the thread title states there will be spoilers I think it's fair game in here.

Feel free to talk freely.

Amy (amyrica) | 17 comments I liked it. But, it annoyed me. The story was similar to The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane in that there was a female lead character who is an American academic and a witch. It was similar to Twilight because the male lead is a protective old, vampire. In fact, he was kind of Edward, Jasper, and Carlisle all rolled in to one. The similarities to these other books' storylines kept ruining my enjoyment of the creative parts of the story because it made me feel like the author simply stole a few ideas from other recent, successful novels and then added a new aspect or two to make it her own. She also threw in a bunch of cerebral academia and science to attempt to explain the magical things happening which annoyed me even further. And, in the end, it's just a story about acceptance and diversity which is applaudable but I don't like her use of the magical world as an allegory. I enjoyed the romance and the book had some interesting characters. I'll read the next one when it comes out but overall, given the buildup from recommendations and the length of time I was on the queue at the library waiting for this book, it was underwhelming.

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Carol wrote: "I remember thinking that Diane is named in honor of "you-know-who" and the writing certainly is 'nearly' up to her level."

Diana was actual named after Diana the hunting goddess - often Diana sees herself dressed as a huntress ..

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Wendy F wrote: "As long as the thread title states there will be spoilers I think it's fair game in here.

Feel free to talk freely."

So we do not have to put those 'spoiler' paramters?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 292 comments I think the theme of Diana's name and Diana, the Goddess is the reason for her name. It runs throughout the story.

I always find it interesting in book discussions when one story is compared to another and the authors "accused" if that is the word of stealing from other books. I read one time that there are only something like seven stories in fiction and every book tells one of them over again, just in different ways. I doubt there is a line that has not been written, nor phrase that has not been spoken by characters (especially those in love) nor any plot that has not been used. The difference is in how good the author is in spinning the tale. We are not all going to love them all - that's impossible. This one worked for me in every way.

Caroline Kimsey (CarolineKimsey) Terry I agree with you. I also saw and interview about film and their only being 7 basic plots. It was Quentin Tarantino talking about Resevoir Dogs. I think that is why I like Neil Gaiman becase he is out of the box a little but it is still the same basic plt devices. I also think the more you read the same genre the more you will run into this and find them a little samey.

I personally enjoyed Discover of Witches. Seeing the characters progress and the powers they had. The dynamics of all the relationships and snippets of history. I too thought Diana was a salute to the Goddess.

I am very much looking forward to book 2

Carren Kay | 901 comments I have to admit I was really disappointed that this was a series. But I've gotten over that and am really looking forward to the next installment.

Talk about a couple of people that sizzle! They have it in spades.

message 22: by MissSusie (last edited Nov 30, 2011 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MissSusie | 93 comments Amy wrote: "I liked it. But, it annoyed me. The story was similar to The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane in that there was a female lead character who is an American academic and a witch. It was similar to Tw..."

This is how I started out my review:
I don’t know who the marketing genius (insert sarcasm here) was that decided to market this as Twilight for adults. It Is Not! I’d say it has shades of The Historian with more romance. It took me a little while to get into this one but now I’m hooked.

I am so sick of anything with vampires being compared to Twilight like its the difinitive vamp book Please it is NOT why can't a book stand on its own.

This was one of my favorite books of the year and can't wait till book 2 comes out. Plus being a librarian I must love a book where a lot of the action takes place in a library!

I also want a house like the Bishop house that creates rooms as needs and hides and reveals things as needed!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Susie wrote: "Amy wrote: "I liked it. But, it annoyed me. The story was similar to The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane in that there was a female lead character who is an American academic and a witch. It was s..."

Twilight was written for the teen group - I must admit I read them all and enjoyed them BUT this book is so much more - love it can't wait for book 2 - I voted it book of the year. And yes I want the Bishop house as well .. when you get company it just creates a need room all furnished .. what more could one want!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments I love how DH makes the vampires 'more' human .. they eat and drink human stuff .. would love to see that wine cellar .. check out the author's website she has a list of all the wines ..

http://deborahharkness.com/matthew-cl...

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 292 comments I voted for it for book of the year too. And in the other category it is in too.

I don't even like tea and found myself getting up a few times and make a cup of the nasty stuff. And although my idea of wine is some red stuff out of a box, I did feel the urge for it while reading in the evenings. Now if only I had a Matthew......

Carren Kay | 901 comments Susie: I totally agree with you. My daughter read Twilight, all of them. However, while reading the first one, she said to me that the writing is horrible and she doesn't believe that there are teenagers out there with as much "angst"as Bella (she read it while in high school). If she did, she'd go to the counselor's office and let them know about it. When asked why she continued to read them, she admitted that it was like watching a train wreck happen.

I happened to see a little bit of the first Twilight movie and just about gagged. Horrible, horrible writing, bad acting and don't get me started on anything else. I cannot believe that 10 and 11 year old girls were actually reading and watching this garbage.
I know, I know, there's plenty of Twilight fans out there. I'm just putting my two cents in.

Now, Discovery of Witches, is soooo not Twilight. Much more mature and great writing to boot.

Laura P | 114 comments I loved all the historical references and DH brought all the characters to life so well that I was able to visualize every scene in the book (similar to DG's writing).

I loved how she modernized the vampires. And that house was wonderful!

I can't wait to read the sequel!!!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 292 comments Love Twilight, love Outlander, love Discovery of Witches.....

I just don't compare them to each other because they can stand on their own. If someone asks me what is my best book ever....then it gets tough. I start mumbling, well the best YA series, the best adult series, the best fantasy series..the best stand alone book.....

MissSusie | 93 comments The thing is I didn't/don't hate Twilight I enjoyed it while I was reading it, I am just so over all the hype and yes Carren the first movie was awful but they have gotten better since that one.
What I don't like is every book about vampires being compared to it there were many before Twilight that were much better and many after. Just like anything about young kids and magic has to be compared to Harry Potter let the poor book stand on its own.
I feel bad for authors that get compared to twilight because there are so many haters out there that it does the new book an injustice I saw on many message boards people saying they would not read Discovery of Witches because they saw it compared to Twilight and that is very unfair to Deb Harkness hopefully after she wins best book of the year of here maybe she will get even more readers!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Susie wrote: "The thing is I didn't/don't hate Twilight I enjoyed it while I was reading it, I am just so over all the hype and yes Carren the first movie was awful but they have gotten better since that one.
..."

Books need to be looked in their own right. I enjoyed the books and the movies of both the Harry Potter and Twilight. I also read the hunger game series good but a very sad message to the youth of today.

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments So I finished listening to DOW on the way how .. I was so intent on listening I went through a red light and pull over.. OMG. Mr policeman was kind to me .. Whew

Carren Kay | 901 comments Donna: Just remember, no book is worth getting a ticket over.
Having said that, I've missed many of exits because of books on tape. Can't tell you how many times I've had to backtrack to get where I was supposed to go.

Oh well

Carol L | 218 comments I agree that Diana's name is in ref to the Goddess (or Artemis, as my husband insists on calling our baby granddaughter Diana), but still can't help think it was also a nod to DG.

I laugh when things are compared to Twilight...I was a Lestat fan WAY before Bella was born!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Carren wrote: "Donna: Just remember, no book is worth getting a ticket over.
Having said that, I've missed many of exits because of books on tape. Can't tell you how many times I've had to backtrack to get wher..."

I total agree - but so absorbed in the ending .. I miss my dear new friends already .. LOL

message 35: by MissSusie (last edited Nov 30, 2011 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MissSusie | 93 comments Donna wrote: "So I finished listening to DOW on the way how .. I was so intent on listening I went through a red light and pull over.. OMG. Mr policeman was kind to me .. Whew"

haha I've sat in my garage many times because I didn't want to stop listening..Glad officer was nice to you!

also can't blame you Jennifer Ikeda does a great job at the narration of this book!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Susie wrote: "Donna wrote: "So I finished listening to DOW on the way how .. I was so intent on listening I went through a red light and pull over.. OMG. Mr policeman was kind to me .. Whew"

haha I've sat in..."

She does .. it's so Diana .. I was just adding my review on Audible .. I could not believe how many people did not like her reading .. don't get it

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Carol I also loved Lestat, but I loved Armand more!!! That was a great series.

message 38: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2920 comments Donna wrote: "Wendy F wrote: "As long as the thread title states there will be spoilers I think it's fair game in here.

Feel free to talk freely."

So we do not have to put those 'spoiler' paramters?"

Nah, not in here. If the thread is marked 'spoiler' that should suffice as a warning.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 292 comments Wow, I can't believe either that anyone didn't like the reading in the audio. But then again I can - there is always someone who doesn't like just about anything. I thought it was perfect.

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Audible just came out with its list of BEST books for 2011 .. DOW was one of the 5 best fiction books

message 42: by MissSusie (last edited Dec 01, 2011 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MissSusie | 93 comments Sue wrote: "Carol I also loved Lestat, but I loved Armand more!!! That was a great series."

The audio is on the top 5 list on audible's fiction catagory!

OOPs guess I should have read further down LOL

Did you also see in the best of 2011:Long awaited # 1 is Fiery Cross

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Laura wrote: "Hi everyone.
I'm so glad I came across the recommendation for this book here. I've had it on my TBR list for a while, but it kept getting lost among all those other books. I recently joined anothe..."

Any I just love it when he calls her mon coeur

Ladyhawk | 934 comments I did notice a few similarities in this story from other 'vampire' stories and Harry Potter. That 7 story line theory is interesting, not sure I believe it though.

So what is Diana doing running off to France with Matthew? Doesn't she have lectures to deliver?

The Chateau is amazing!! I love Ysabeau's name! I have not heard it used for a fictional character since the movie ' Ladyhawk'. Ladyhawk is Isabeau.

Slightly different spelling though.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (Ter05) | 292 comments I love the way Isabeau is pronounced in the audio but even more I love the way Isabeau pronounces Matthew!

Ladyhawk | 934 comments Aw Terry, I may have to find the audio!!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments I like it when she says Diana .. The emphasis is on the Di ...

I think inner to get the book on my Kindle .. I could kick myself .. For a week or so it was selling for -1.99

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "I did notice a few similarities in this story from other 'vampire' stories and Harry Potter. That 7 story line theory is interesting, not sure I believe it though.

So what is Diana doing running o..."

Matthew wants to get her away from Oxford.

Ladyhawk | 934 comments
I think inner to get the book on my Kindle .. I could kick myself .. For a week or so it was selling for -1.99"

WHaaat? Dang, wish i had known!

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) | 446 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "
I think inner to get the book on my Kindle .. I could kick myself .. For a week or so it was selling for -1.99"

WHaaat? Dang, wish i had known!"

Sometime this summer .. I am sooooo mad

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

North and South (other topics)
North and South (other topics)
Hawk of May (other topics)
Shadow of Night (other topics)
A Discovery of Witches (other topics)
More...