The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Worst movies you've paid to watch on the bigscreen

Comments (showing 251-300 of 652) (652 new)    post a comment »

message 251: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments I watched that the second time with Rifftrax. Barely made it watchable.

Dharmakirti | 676 comments Avatar in 3D.

message 253: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Isaiah wrote: "Paul wrote: "Actually I've never seen either of them, but I was referring to the blue people one. I think I saw all the trailers but I think I must have missed something with the special effects, i..."

It's real title is ' Dances with Smurfs ' .

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1314 comments Trike wrote: "...But if you didn't see Avatar in 3D in the theatre, you missed out on one of *the* cinematic events of this generation. It really is that amazing...."

I agree completely. For me Avatar is the ONLY movie where the 3D is totally integral to the whole movie and not just a cheap gimmick for 'things flying out of the screen shots'.

message 255: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (Astronomicon) AndrewP wrote: "Trike wrote: "...But if you didn't see Avatar in 3D in the theatre, you missed out on one of *the* cinematic events of this generation. It really is that amazing...."

I agree completely. For me Av..."

Does the 3D stop it looking like a CGI cartoon?

message 256: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments I can't see 3D but I still thought it was superbly done. Though, I think the 3D might have added to the realism as people were saying, "It was hard to tell what was real and what wasn't."

It was all very realistic but everything did have a sort of shiny-plasticine look to it at times.

message 257: by Paul (last edited Mar 06, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

Paul Vincent (Astronomicon) The worst film I've seen at the cinema is Armageddon. Apart from the cast and bad script, I think the worst thing it suffered from was "phew, now we're safe unless xxxx happens....oh no..."

I actually missed 10 minutes of it about 20 mins from the end because I got so bored I dozed off.

Trike | 1263 comments Paul wrote: "Does the 3D stop it looking like a CGI cartoon? "

Pretty much. You get completely lost in the world, and it's especially impressive when the live action and CGI interact. Especially at the end of the movie with all the stuff between the human actors and the CGI characters. That's just mind-blowingly flawless.

And some of the stuff probably isn't regarded as all that impressive by ordinary folks, but all my animation friends were falling out of their seats when the Na'vi were applying the war paint on each other.

Avatar is one of those movies, like Serenity, that the more you know about cinema and filmmaking, the more impressive it is.

I know it's hip to hate it because it *is* a commonly-told tale and it's so popular, but for sheer technical excellence Avatar is right up there with Star Wars and Citizen Kane. (Most people have no idea there are so many special effects in Citizen Kane, either.)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1065 comments Paul wrote: "The worst film I've seen at the cinema is Armageddon. Apart from the cast and bad script, I think the worst thing it suffered from was "phew, now we're safe unless xxxx happens....oh no..."

I actu..."

Man not one I would have thought anybody would class as "worst movie". Love Armageddon just for its cheesyness alone.

message 260: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments NASA uses Armageddon as part of it's hiring process. No, I'm serious. They ask you to name as many of the 324 scientific inaccuracies as you can.

One of the many reasons I love NASA, along with Project TARDIS (TARDigrades In Space) .

Denis Pedersen | 56 comments Dan wrote: "Battlefield Earth

And then I watched it again on a dare when I got the DVD as a wedding present. I really regret that because it was even worse than I remembered."

haha I was stupid enough to see that one as well, although I saw it on DVD and NOT on the big screen (thankfully)

message 262: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (Astronomicon) I didn't see Battlefield Earth until it was shown on television. It was definitely a bad movie, but I guess I can't vote for it as I didn't see it at the cinema.

Trike | 1263 comments Doug wrote: "NASA uses Armageddon as part of it's hiring process. No, I'm serious. They ask you to name as many of the 324 scientific inaccuracies as you can.

One of the many reasons I love NASA, along with Pr..."

I assume they use the subtler yet still very wrong Deep Impact to choose managers.

Well, given the criticisms of NASA management in recent years, they probably use Ernest Goes To Camp.

David | 35 comments Mummi wrote: "Dan wrote: "Battlefield Earth

And then I watched it again on a dare when I got the DVD as a wedding present. I really regret that because it was even worse than I remembered."

haha I was stupid e..."

I really liked the book I thought it was so funny and the movie was SOOOOO bad I don't think they realized it was supposed to be funny

message 265: by Jake (new)

Jake Gnow | 5 comments the one staring Jet Li

message 266: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Jake wrote: "the one staring Jet Li"

Which? Some of them were quite bad, others are very good. Hero was well worth the cost of admission. Danny The Dog was not.

message 267: by [deleted user] (new)

Doug wrote: "Jake wrote: "the one staring Jet Li"

Which? Some of them were quite bad, others are very good. Hero was well worth the cost of admission. Danny The Dog was not."

heh.

Come on. The One was worth it just for the last scene. "I am Yu Law, I am nobody's bitch"

message 268: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Almost worth it. The rest of that movie was horrible. Danny The Dog at least had Morgan Freeman as the blind piano tuner.

Christos | 7 comments After reading though all 6 pages of this...

I can't believe no one said "Wing Commander". That was far and away the worse movie I have ever seen in theaters.

message 270: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments When I saw it I was rather young so I didn't think it was all that bad. I used to love it as a kid, in fact. The things you like as a child, right?

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 720 comments Transformers 2
Dungeons & Dragons
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
Clash of the Titans (remake)
Green Lantern
X-Men 3
Underworld (I find the sequels also bad, but in a fun, watchable way. But the original is just horrible.)

Those would be the movies that were just bad from start to finish. I could add a lot more that were bad overall but redeemed by a couple good scenes, or good acting.

Taltoz | 2 comments My worst is easily The Talented Mr. Ripley. When the credits rolled I was still trying to figure out why I was there. I had such a dumbfounded look on my face on the way out of the theater that the manager actually stopped me and asked what I had seen. When I told him he gave us free passes to whatever other movie we wanted to see.

Second worst would be the Matrix 2 in IMAX. I still maintain that it never happened and they only made one Matrix movie (I refuse to this day to see the third one)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1314 comments Has nobody mentioned 'Inception' yet? I didn't walk out but my wife an I both thought it was pretty poor.

Keith (Teleport-City) | 258 comments Mummi wrote: "Trike wrote: "Jess wrote: "Avatar is the movie I pull out when I need to test a new piece of AV equipment and tweak the settings - it's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen and the battl..."

I still use The Fifth Element for equipment calibration.

I've only seen half of Avatar. It was...ehh, whatever. There are films more deserving of attention, and films more deserving of ire. It was just sort of present.

message 275: by Trike (last edited Mar 15, 2012 02:19PM) (new)

Trike | 1263 comments Taltoz wrote: "Second worst would be the Matrix 2 in IMAX. I still maintain that it never happened and they only made one Matrix movie (I refuse to this day to see the third one)"

Yeah, it's not worth your time. However, there is a compelling theory going around that says everything took place in the Matrix. Even the stuff in the "real world."

I like this theory a lot because it saves the worst part of the first movie, when Trinity's kiss brings Neo back to life. That was such a silly Fantasy moment that it ruined the initial viewing for me. It never occurred to me that Zion and the Nebuchadnezzar were constructs, too. But seen in that light, it makes the ridiculous things that happen outside of the Matrix more explicable.

And makes it a much more powerful movie, much like viewing the ending of Taxi Driver as Bickle's dying fantasy rather than something that actually happened. Just wish I'd thought of it.

message 276: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments That would also explain why he could touch the bots later without any external interface. I like it. Suddenly the entire trilogy makes so much more sense and is actually kind of brilliant.

Alterjess | 318 comments Blasphemers. The Matrix sequels are brilliant and anyone who says otherwise* is just plain wrong.

*I am aware that by "anyone who says otherwise" I am referring to everyone on earth except for myself and about three other people. Doesn't matter. You're ALL wrong.

message 278: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Eh, I found them to be fun for what they were. I wouldn't call them brilliant. Though, the idea of it all being inside the matrix an it being another layer over which machines exercise their control is pretty clever as it does fill some of the bigger holes.

RogueHireling (rogue_hireling) | 8 comments Valentine. I saw it because it had David Boreanaz in it. Really bad movie.

message 280: by Paul (new)

Paul Darcy (PaulDarcy) | 20 comments Driving Miss Daisy . . . don't ask . . . I refer to it now as, "Driving Me Crazy"

Kamil | 372 comments here comes a list of few movies i regret:

- Pirates of the caraiben 2, 3 ( they went overboard and killed the mood of the first one)
- Star wars episode I ( jar jar binks is unsopportable)
- Dog soldiers ( even captain obvious would say ' it's too obvious)
- The witcher ( yes, there is a movie based on the books, but pray it won't be available in the USA)

Stanton (Wermode) | 1 comments Steven Spielberg's AI. I writhed in pain and frustration at the contrived, predictable plot and ham-handed attempts to play on the audience's emotions.

Thor was pretty painful, too: another lame-brained, predictable plot, except this time with a totally unlikable protagonist.

Philip (pkinchington) | 16 comments Wow! Getting to be a tough crowd. Dog Soldiers? I thought that was great fun. *spits in werewolf's face* "I hope I give you the sh*ts you f*cking wimp." It was made for about 50p and a packet of Monster Munch. The film Neil Marshall made after that (The Descent) is also very good, a horror film where the introduction of beasty monsters actually gives you some light relief from the tension. If you suffer - even mildly - from claustrophobia, do not watch The Descent. It'll have you climbing up the walls.

Agree on Pirates 3 though (luckily I dodged that bullet at the cinema.) Another three-quel out that year that I didn't dodge was Spiderman 3. What a mess. And I don't think all the problems were down to studio, I think Sam Raimi has to take his share.

(view spoiler)

Also the inclusion of Venom (in a film that already had one villain too many) at the studio's insistence. It could have been so good after the promise of #2, so disappointing.

Kamil | 372 comments Philip wrote: "Wow! Getting to be a tough crowd. Dog Soldiers? I thought that was great fun. *spits in werewolf's face* "I hope I give you the sh*ts you f*cking wimp." It was made for about 50p and a packet of Mo..."

dog soldier was a fun movie, but watching it on the big screan was a waste of money (i went to a horror marathon) and i'm not sayin it's bad. I simply would prefere something less obvious

Philip (pkinchington) | 16 comments Ah, yes of course! We're talking about seeing things at the cinema. I saw it on DVD one evening with a bunch of mates laughing and munching on snacks. I could see how blowing it up onto a big screen might really highlight the cheapness of it. On DVD with a bunch of friends 'n' snacks 'n' beers is probably a more favourable environment.

Also unsure how well some of the colloquial British humour might travel. Some people love it, others find it utterly perplexing.

message 286: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Dog Soldiers is a b-film that's best watched at home with a bunch of friends. In that context it's one of my favorite movies. But in a theatre it's just a bad horror movie.

Kamil | 372 comments Doug wrote: "Dog Soldiers is a b-film that's best watched at home with a bunch of friends. In that context it's one of my favorite movies. But in a theatre it's just a bad horror movie."

it's almost as fun as "lesbian vampire killers" or ' evil dead 2"

message 288: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments Kamil wrote: "it's almost as fun as "lesbian vampire killers" or ' evil dead 2' "

Haven't seen the first but yeah, bad horror movies aren't good for the theatre, they're good for the "home cinema".

message 289: by Chip (new)

Chip | 4 comments District 9

It has to be 'District 9'. I could barely sit thru it, I was bored to tears.

Plenty of even worse movies, but they fall in the 'wait for Redbox' category of movie. District 9 is a 'wait for it to show on TV' category. Then you can turn the channel for relief.

Noomninam | 90 comments Remake of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still.'If not for Jennifer Connelly, I would have been rooting for Gort to vaporize the planet -- Keanu with it.

message 291: by Agatha (last edited Apr 20, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

Agatha (agathab) | 130 comments Noomninam said: "Remake of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still.'If not for Jennifer Connelly, I would have been rooting for Gort to vaporize the planet -- Keanu with it."

I haven't seen the remake and I hope never to be forced into seeing it. I fear it would forever spoil my love of the original.

Transformers 2 and The Happening come to mind as wastes of my money and time. Also, I saw Mirror, Mirror in the theater recently and my god was it horrible. Truly horrendous movie.

But the title of the worst movie I ever paid money to watch definitely goes to Good Luck, Chuck. I was forced into going by my friends and spent an hour feeling increasingly angry as well as mortified by the sheer stupidity of mankind. I walked out of the theater and I'm still traumatized by how excruciatingly awful that movie was.

message 292: by Tim (last edited Apr 21, 2012 07:00AM) (new)

Tim | 370 comments I pay 15 quid a month for an Unlimited card, so movies at the cinema are effectively "free", and that makes a big difference to my attitude towards them, especially the poorer ones. Quite often I'll think 'well that's not going on my DVD To Buy list' and it only takes two of those in a month and the card has paid for itself! The only time I walked out of the cinema was during a Tom Waites film, that I don't even remember the name.

Now, what would I refuse to go and see at the cinema, even for 'free'? Well, most recently I refused to see Star Wars Episode1 3D. The worst ones I've sat through recently? I am Number Four, closely followed by Return 2 Mysterious Island

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1065 comments Tim wrote: "The worst ones I've sat through recently? I am Number Four"

I had the horrible misfortune of renting that one. So bad I turned it off. And I very rarely do that.

message 294: by Tim (new)

Tim | 370 comments I should perhaps ad that I'm currently refusing to go and see "Titanic 3D: The blatant cash-in". Partly because I hate 3D movies, and partly because I can't stand Kate Winslet.

Stefanie (Inkcharm) | 18 comments I'll get stoned to death for this... but I'd have to say "Avatar". Yes, I saw it in 3D. Yes, I thought it was visually stunning.

But in the end, I saw a fancy Pocahontas remake and was insanely disappointed.

terpkristin | 2848 comments Stefanie wrote: "I'll get stoned to death for this... but I'd have to say "Avatar". Yes, I saw it in 3D. Yes, I thought it was visually stunning."

That came up earlier in the thread. Don't worry, you're not alone, there are others here (including me) who didn't care for it. I though it was pure crap. And since I don't care about visual or audio stuff (and the 3D gave me a headache), I was particularly irritated.

message 297: by Skaw (new)

Skaw | 116 comments First one that comes to mind is Bloodrayne. I watched it because of Ben Kingsley and regretted it. Even he couldn't save it. It painful to watch, but not so painful that it was funny.
The same can be said of John Cena's the Marine. I wanted to like it. I was prepared to accept potential flaws because it was about Marines, and I was a Marine. But I found myself rooting for the bad guy, because he was a better actor.
Most frustrating though was The Hunted. The plot holes made me want to scream at the screen. He's running for his life, and he had time to chop down a tree? A really big tree?

message 298: by Doug (new)

Doug S. (dougoftheabaci) | 248 comments I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed by Avatar because I saw who the director was and thought, "He does visually stunning but generally safe and familiar stories."

Charlotte | 25 comments 10,000 BC. Hands down the worst movie I've ever seen in the theater, maybe ever. I don't even know why I went to see it in the first place, but that was two hours of my life I'll never get back.

message 300: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments I liked Conspiracy Theory but then I like Pelican Brief and Erin Brockovich too. Maybe I just like Julia Roberts.

I wouldn't pay to see Jennifer Anniston... Even for free she's hard to watch.

The worst movie was WaterWorld. I didn't exactly pay to see it - the tickets were a gift -- and it was a premiere - we stood in line which was sort of fun gabbing with the other people. But the movie was just awful. I don't think Costner ever recovered from it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Idoru (other topics)
On Stranger Tides (other topics)