The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Group Read Nominations > Winner Chosen: Group Read Dec 2011-Jan 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 11, 2011 12:04AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
And Agatha Christie is the winner for our Winter Author Fest.

= = = = = = = = = = =

Final Round of Voting Open until Saturday, Dec 10
18:00/6:00 PM my time, more or less...

December 2011-January 2012 Group Read: Nominate an Author

Nominations open from Nov 29 to Dec 4;
Voting open from Dec 4 to Dec 9;
Reading period from Dec 15, 2011 to Jan 14, 2012

This month's group read will be an "Author Fest".
Each member of the group can nominate an author. The winning author will be the "theme" for the group read and the discussion will revolve around any or all of the author's books.

Don't forget that the nominator of the winning author will be the discussion leader, so nominate an author that you know pretty well. No self nominating, please.

Please nominate authors who have written at least 4 books, which will make it easier for everyone to find something to read. Include the link to the author (using the "add book/author" link tool above the comment box), and the link to the series, or at least the link to the first book in the series, and/or any favorite stand alones.

Last year's winner was Michael Connelly, so he is not eligible for nomination this year.

Anne Perry (Hayes)
P.D. James (Donna)
James Patterson (Lori)
Colin Cotterill (Almeta)
John Connolly (Gatorman)
Kelli Stanley (Judith)
Robert Crais (Jerry)
Jo Nesbø (Manugw)
Linwood Barclay (Chris)
Giles Blunt (Rick)
Frank Tallis (Georgia)
Miriam Grace Monfredo (Krista)
Lee Child (Beth NC)
Patricia Cornwell (Jeff)
Jeffrey Archer (Steve)
Randy Wayne White (Cathy)
Ian Rankin (Diane)
Reginald Hill (Jill)
Raymond Chandler (Clare)
Agatha Christie (Merritt)
Henning Mankell (Tom)
Kate Atkinson (Carol)
Dorothy L. Sayers (Kim)

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Nov 29, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

I'll start:

Anne Perry who has several series, including a Christmas series, starting with
A Christmas Journey

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2002 comments Mod
How about P.D. James

Long series featuring Insp Adam Dalgliesh beginning with Cover Her Face, short series featuring Cordelia Grey beginning with An Unsuitable Job For A Woman, a few standalones, a non-fiction book on detective fiction, and a brand new book, Death Comes to Pemberley.

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick F. | 2 comments Hayes wrote: "I'll start:

Anne Perry who has several series, including a Christmas series, starting with
A Christmas Journey"

Loved Perry's novels- especially the Pitt ones, stunned when I heard of her background- and in all honesty- has made a difference in my ability to read her book- nothing wrong with quality of writing- just hard to support someone like her.

message 5: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne (RosanneMA) | 2 comments Louise Penny! (with Jo Nesbo as a second)

message 6: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2011 05:38AM) (new)

Rick wrote: "nothing wrong with quality of writing- just hard to support someone like her. "

You'll have to be more specific, as I don't know what you're talking about.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Henrich James Patterson

message 9: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7251 comments John Connolly

message 10: by Judith (last edited Nov 30, 2011 10:35AM) (new)

Judith Starkston | 47 comments I'll nominate Kelli Stanley. She has two series, both written in a noir style reminiscent of Dashiell Hammett. One set in San Francisco in the '30's and early '40's with a female detective: City of Dragons and City of Secrets. One set in in the Roman period with a male Roman doctor as sleuth: Nox Dormienda:: A Long Night for Sleeping and The Curse-Maker. She also has a short story in a collection Lee Child edited: First Thrills: High-Octane Stories from the Hottest Thriller Authors. Some great variety within one author's works but with enough common style and theme to make for a good coherent discussion.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Rosanne wrote: "Louise Penny! (with Jo Nesbo as a second)"

I second Rosanne's votes for Louise Penny! I was recently at the bookstore looking for a new mystery author and was referred to Louise Penny --they said her characters are very well developed and the stories take place in an interesting town community. I'd love to read some of her stuff!

message 12: by Jerold (new)

Jerold Last (goodreadscomJerold_Last) | 251 comments Robert Crais--His Elvis Costello series with the first book The Monkey's Raincoat

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane (bjaneb) | 2 comments I also vote for Louise Penny. Thanks to Judith, however, I am off to look up Kelli Stanley's books!

message 15: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Jane wrote: "I also vote for Louise Penny. Thanks to Judith, however, I am off to look up Kelli Stanley's books!"

We're just nominating here Jane, so if you'd like to nominate someone else that's good too.

message 16: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Lee Child
Jeffery Deaver
LINCOLN CHILD AND DOUGLAS PRESTON"

Just one please Beth.

message 17: by Manugw (new)

Manugw | 26 comments I nominate Norwegian Jo Nesbo

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments How about Linwood Barclay.

message 19: by Yvonne (last edited Nov 30, 2011 09:25AM) (new)

Yvonne (ysareader) | 31 comments Hayes wrote: "Rick wrote: "nothing wrong with quality of writing- just hard to support someone like her. "

You'll have to be more specific, as I don't know what you're talking about."

I think Anne Perry is a pen name. Her real name is Juliet Hulme. As a teenager back in the 1950's, she helped to murder her friend's mother by bashing her with a brick about 45 times. The two girls were too young for the death penalty and were released 5 years later. She changed her name when she became a writer.

ETA: The movie Heavenly Creatures was based on her life.

message 20: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2011 09:24AM) (new)

Yvonne wrote: "Hayes wrote: "Rick wrote: "nothing wrong with quality of writing- just hard to support someone like her. "

I think Ann..."

eww...

(and thanks for answering, Yvonne)

message 21: by Rick (new)

Rick (RicoCan49) Lots of great choices. I would like to nominate Giles Blunt. (I know of 7 of his books and have read 6 of them). I also like Lee Child, Linwood Barclay, Nesbo, Crais and Penny. This will be a difficult choice!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 297 comments It is, indeed, an interesting background for a mystery novelist.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 232 comments Hayes wrote: "Rick wrote: "nothing wrong with quality of writing- just hard to support someone like her. "

I'm really curious to know too!

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 232 comments Yvonne wrote: "Hayes wrote: "Rick wrote: "nothing wrong with quality of writing- just hard to support someone like her. "

I think Ann..."

Oh, man!

message 25: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 431 comments Hello Hayes, Most people have nominated the authors I would choose except for Frank Tallis. What does a discussion leader do? I am not really computer literate, but I can do the things I enjoy.

message 26: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I'll nominate Sue Grafton and Patricia Cornwell

message 27: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (ysareader) | 31 comments Jerry wrote: "Robert Crais--His Elvis Costello series with the first book The Monkey's Raincoat"

I had to laugh at this one because I do like Elvis Costello, but I think you mean Elvis Cole. I've only read The Sentry but since that was so good, I'd love to read more by him.

message 28: by Trev (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 8 comments what about something a little different...Jim Thompson "Snow Angels" set in Finland and somewhat brutal in presentation :)
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69...

message 29: by Jerold (new)

Jerold Last (goodreadscomJerold_Last) | 251 comments Yvonne wrote: "Jerry wrote: "Robert Crais--His Elvis Costello series with the first book The Monkey's Raincoat"

I had to laugh at this one because I do like Elvis Costello, but I think you mean Elvi..."

I think this is called a "senior moment". I wrote it on the fly without really thinking. Ooooops.

message 30: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Jeff wrote: "I'll nominate Sue Grafton and Patricia Cornwell"

Just one please, Jeff.

message 31: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Jerry wrote: "Yvonne wrote: "Jerry wrote: "Robert Crais--His Elvis Costello series with the first book The Monkey's Raincoat"

I had to laugh at this one because I do like Elvis Costello, but I thin..."

Elvis Costello is cool too, Jerry.
My Funny Valentine, for your listening pleasure

message 32: by Jerold (new)

Jerold Last (goodreadscomJerold_Last) | 251 comments Hayes wrote: "Jerry wrote: "Yvonne wrote: "Jerry wrote: "Robert Crais--His Elvis Costello series with the first book The Monkey's Raincoat"

I had to laugh at this one because I do like Elvis Costel..."

Yeah, I put that one in to increase the relevance for your British members.

message 33: by Magnus (new)

Magnus (MagnusPym) | 2 comments Peter Robinson,or Charles Todd are my suggestions or John le Carré, Len DeightonUp to you good people.

message 34: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 3 comments Lee Child
Robert Crais
Harlan Coben
Linwood Barclay

just to name a few of my favourites

message 35: by Magnus (new)

Magnus (MagnusPym) | 2 comments Yes to Harlan Coben and let me add a personal favourite Val McDermid

message 36: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 749 comments I feel bad for you Hayes, you have to keep saying "just one." ;)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 1 comments I'd like to suggest Miriam Grace Monfredo, who writes mysteries set in Seneca Falls, New York, in the 19th century.

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) Hayes wrote: "Beth NC wrote: "Lee Child
Jeffery Deaver

Just one please Beth."

Sorry, Lee Child

message 39: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Okay, Patricia Cornwell

message 40: by Steve (new)

Steve Bliss | 2 comments Jeffrey Archer

message 41: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont (CathyDuPont) | 132 comments Randy Wayne White

message 42: by Diane S. (last edited Nov 30, 2011 06:01PM) (new)

Diane S. I would like to nominate Ian Rankin, his second book of his new series just came out.

message 43: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 8524 comments Reginald Hill for his Dalziel and Pasco series.

Reginald HillReginald Hill

message 44: by Clare (new)

Clare Havens (Clare_Havens) | 4 comments Can I go old-school and suggest Raymond Chandler? Raymond Chandler The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 232 comments Hayes wrote: "Beth NC wrote: "Lee Child
Jeffery Deaver

Just one please Beth."

I love the books Preston & Child write together more than their individual books. I love Agent Pendergast!

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 232 comments Yvonne wrote: "Lee Child
Robert Crais
Harlan Coben
Linwood Barclay

just to name a few of my favourites"

I love Harlan Coben & have read all but his new Mickey Bolitar book. Even though it is geared toward a younger audience, I'd like to read it.

message 47: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Georgia wrote: "Hello Hayes, Most people have nominated the authors I would choose except for Frank Tallis. What does a discussion leader do? I am not really computer literate, but I can do the things I enjoy."

Hi Georgia,
The discussion leader needs check into the thread to see that there aren't any problems or questions. If you want you can ask specific questions or post some information about the author or the books. It's pretty flexible and up to you what you want to do. And Donna and I--and all of the wonderful group members--are here to help.

message 48: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2011 03:53AM) (new)

Trev wrote: "what about something a little different...Jim Thompson "Snow Angels" set in Finland and somewhat brutal in presentation :)
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69..."

I can see only 3 books that he has written, so I won't count that nomination, Trev. (See the rules in message #1)

That kinda goes for everyone (ahem!) I asked you to choose just one and to put in links to the author and to the books, and almost none of you has done that.

And there's no excuse because I have just posted the instructions in Tecno Corner!
*doing her best school marm imitation*

message 49: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Rosanne wrote: "Louise Penny! (with Jo Nesbo as a second)"

We're reading a Louise Penny now, so I'll say no to that nomination Rosanne and someone else nominated Nesbo, so if you'd like to read another please do so.

message 50: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Magnus wrote: "Peter Robinson,or Charles Todd are my suggestions or John le Carré, Len DeightonUp to you good people."

Just One, please.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Christmas Journey (other topics)
Cover Her Face (other topics)
Death Comes to Pemberley (other topics)
An Unsuitable Job for a Woman (other topics)
Disco For The Departed (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anne Perry (other topics)
P.D. James (other topics)
Colin Cotterill (other topics)
Kelli Stanley (other topics)
Lee Child (other topics)
More...