The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Creative Bookstore Names

Comments (showing 1-50 of 77) (77 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by JG (The Introverted Reader) (last edited Nov 03, 2008 09:50PM) (new)

JG (The Introverted Reader) John suggested this in the Local Bookshop thread and I liked the idea. What are some of the more creative bookstore names you've come across?

JG (The Introverted Reader) My local new bookstore is called Malaprop's.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Grounds for Thought (also had coffee)

Novel Idea (even though it was mostly romance novels)

Atishay | 1451 comments "Crossroads" is one.

Darla (isishalo1) | 576 comments The Bookie Joint (It's a used book store)

John (downbytheseasid) In Leeds there is The Idle Hour and The Thumbed Page. There is a children's shop called Happy Cow Books in Holmfirth and another small town nearby, Hebden Bridge, has The Book Case.

Despite the local area being the birthplace of the Bronte Sisters there are no shops which play on this connection. No Bronte Books or Cathy Classics.

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments The used bookstore I work at is Books Revisited. On an interesting side note there is another used bookstore with the same name somewhere on the east cost.

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments The cafe in one of the local bookshops (Given's Books) is called The Drowsy Poet...it's also attached to a toy store called Little Dickens.

Jeane | 4887 comments Cynthia, that's nice. People who open shops should think more about the meaning of te palce, the other shops...

Nikki Boisture | 123 comments My used book store is called Second Story Books. I like that! There is a local bookstore in Washington, DC called Politics and Prose.

Atishay | 1451 comments Bambi, I love your name, it is my favorite walt disney classic ever.

Beth | 135 comments I've had book signings for my mystery novel at quite a few creatively named bookstores, including the following:

Murder by the Book, Denver, CO
Black Cat Books, Manitou Springs, CO
High Crimes, Boulder, CO (now just an online store)
Book Sleuth, Old Colorado City, CO
Creatures 'n Crooks, Richmond, VA
Mystery Loves Company, Baltimore, MD

Pamela The Alligator's tale in Des Moines, Iowa....for children's books. GREAT place.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments My hometown has bookstores named:

The Open Book
As the Page Turns

I have heard good things about "Chapter One" bookstore in Columbia, S.C.

Cheryl S. | 22 comments I am so jealous. I live in a small town and we have no bookstore. When I go into the city to shop I have to content myself with Barnes & Nobel, Odegard's and Borders. Not very exciting.

Ann from S.C. | 1394 comments We have a couple. One is called...
THE BOOK STORE

Very original. I like to go there because it is so cozy and it smells good:)

Sarah (goosers34) There was a "Chapter One" in charleston SC years ago. same owners I think. It was fantastic.

Pamela, Where is the Alligator's Tale in Des Moines. My mom-in-law lives there and is a freak about spoiling my kids. she'd probably love it.

Coalbanks | 186 comments ABC - Adams' Book Corner
Booktique
low cost disposal section of local public library which also has a free - to - takers bin.
Penny University Coffee House & Bookstore (now Penny Coffee House, sans 'varsity, sans books but ABC is just down the street & the library is within 5 blocks).

message 19: by Liz M (last edited Nov 08, 2008 06:43AM) (new)

Liz M My favorite bookstore name was The Hungry Mind. But they sold the name to an online-education business. I also am fond of Uncle Hugo and Uncle Edgars, a combination science fiction/mystery bookstore in Minneapolis (growing up I bought used mysteries by the dozens there).

Mystery bookstores have the best names; here in NYC we have: Murder Ink, Partners & Crime, The Black Orchid Bookshop, Foul Play

I am also fond of the chain Shakespeare & Co.

John (downbytheseasid) Murder Ink for a mystery store. That's great.

Catherine | 175 comments Abigail, we had "A Novel Idea" bookstore a few blocks from my house, thankfully had more than just romance novels. It was taken over and is now The Bookmark Shoppe, which is not nearly as cool.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments That's too bad...
I recently remembered another book shop I went to. The Dawn Treader was a 40 minute drive, but so worth it. We always made a day trip out of it and, went shopping at a couple other places (there was an anime shop a couple blocks away) and had lunch someplace.

pilarcat If I remember it right, there's a used book store in Capitol Hill, Seattle called 'Twice-told tale' ...nice shop at the corner.

There's 'Book smile' here in Bangkok. Not really a bookshop just sell magazines and some pocketbooks but I like the name :-)

yellowbird | 55 comments Black Star Books in Chicago, which closed a long time ago. There was a hidden room behind a bookcase (containing a fridge and a table, probably a break room for employees) and all sorts of weird things, like the wall of books that got shorter and shorter until you were crawling along the floor so you could read the titles.

Also Dark Tower Comics, which always sounded like a great name for a bookstore specializing in horror.

JSou (WickenburgAZ) There's a great little used bookstore about an hour away from me called The Book Nook. It's in the historic part of downtown which makes it all the more charming!

Also, when visiting my sister in Denver, I came across The Tattered Cover Bookstore. That place was AWESOME!! I thought the name was pretty cute, even though it made me cringe to think of poor little books that get damaged and tattered! :)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 423 comments I want to open a tea shop/bookstore someday and call it the Book Nook... what do you guys think?

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Jessica, I think the owner of that store is here on GoodReads, lol.

My sister and I went to a second-hand bookstore called At Second Glance. They had SO many books, it was crazy!

The one in town (I've lived here for about 9 years and just realized there was one...and it's a small town, lol...what is WRONG with me?!) is The Book Shelf.

Kandice | 3380 comments My OBGYN owns a book store called The Yellow Book Road and the sign is a road like the Wizard of Oz'd road made of yellow books. Very cute and clever. It has a children's section with a reading area all decorated in an Oz theme.

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 94 comments My favorite is still Murder Ink in London, although it's closed now.

If I ever owned a bookstore, it would be called Flashlight Books and the logo would be a kid under the covers reading by one. It's a play on my last name as well, so it'd be perfect.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 423 comments That is a really cute idea, Jessica. I can just see it!

message 31: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 193 comments Know Knew Books in Palo Alto CA.

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments There was a really cute used book store I went to while visiting my sister in San Francisco - Dog Eared Books. I came away with some great finds.

Laura | 56 comments Prince and the Pauper
White Rabbit
Yellow Book Road - all children's book stores

Mysterious Galaxy - sci fi/fantasy

The Book Mark - used books

Anna | 11 comments used books: bookworks and frugal muse (also has dvd's/cd's)

Diane D. I love the names of these shops everyone posted!

One that comes to mind in the LA area is Sisters in Crime, but not as cute and clever as the other posts here.

Abbie K. (Brigidshawk) | 108 comments I miss Chinook Books in Colorado Springs...they retired.
Hooked on Books is a used bookstore, also in Colorado Springs.

Viki | 42 comments I like Books and Crannies in Terrell, Texas.

message 38: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) There was a used book store where I used to live in Georgia named The Book Worm. I miss that store, because I could trade in my books. I live in Raleigh now and haven't found any used book stores yet.

Melissa (lissieb7) I am visiting my mom and a new bookstore has opened here called, Silver Ink Books. I have also recently visited a small bookstore in Marshall, Texas called Prospero's which I think may have been taken from The Tempest by William Shakespeare.

Liz (Consumed by Books) | 864 comments I used to live near a bookstore called Readers' Garden, which was great. They had a really good mix of new and used stuff. Also in my parents town there is a used bookstore called Monkey See Monkey Read.

message 41: by Madeline (last edited Jun 28, 2009 04:17PM) (new)

Madeline | 293 comments My favorite bookstore is back home in Anchorage, Ak and is called Titlewave. I love that store it started out a hole in the wall used book store and now it's the size of a Barnes and Noble or Borders and does a mixture of new and used books as well as cute book minded gifts and a cafe. Sighs, I miss that store.

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments One of local used books store near me is called The Raconteur. They also sell used rare DVDs and they usually have some artists perform there.

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments JG, I visit Malaprops probably once a week when I'm visiting my folks! I love that place!

I always wanted to open a used book store / coffee bar and call it The PBW (because I'm pretty sure actually calling it Paperback Writer would get me sued). Small business dreams. We'll see. Maybe I'll just put it in a story.

I don't know if it qualifies as a unique name, but I love love Eliot Bay Books in Seattle. And I am thankful as anything for the Half Priced Books chain of stores in my hometown, Pittsburgh.

Dan Porter (ChaoticReader) In Albuquerque we have Title Wave. Not too far from their is Page One and across the street from it is Page One Too.

message 45: by Thomma (last edited Jul 21, 2009 01:08AM) (new)

Thomma (thommalyn) | 94 comments There's an indie bookstore in Knoxville, TN called Carpe Librum.

Hilary (Renfrew) | 66 comments "Secondhand Prose" was a good used book store -- until it burned down several years ago...

Hilary (Renfrew) | 66 comments I also like "Webster's," just off the Penn State campus, in downtown State College. Sadly, the "Arboria" bookstore, also a State College store, specializing in science fiction/fantasy, has closed...

Katie | 16 comments Just Borders and Barnes and Noble, though we just got a nice new BN. We also have a used book store, Bargin Books.

Ronna (ronna15) | 30 comments Changing Hands-Mesa,AZ

most awesomest bookstore ever. its soooo cool and hippie and artsie. its an independent bookstore, and they have a LOT of booksignings, its awesome!

;D

Amy (celesi) We have a Murder By the Book in Portland, too!

Other notable names are Looking Glass Bookstore, Reading Frenzy & Cover to Cover.

*sigh* I miss Portland.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread