Pulp Fiction discussion

Jim Thompson
This topic is about Jim Thompson
Prolific Authors > Jim Thompson

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 274 comments Mod
I would love to know peoples thoughts on Jim Thompson. He's been nicknamed the "Dimestore Dostoevsky" by author Geoffrey O'Brien. He turned Pulp into Surrealism.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent  (akaGunslinger) | 39 comments I like Jim Thompson quite a bit but his books wear me out and I can't read them back to back like I can other crime writers. I just read A Hell of a Woman a couple days ago and I have Nothing More than Murder and Criminal on the pile.

I'd have to check my shelf but I think these are the Thompsons I've read:
Pop. 1280
The Killer Inside Me
After Dark, My Sweet
Savage Night
The Getaway
A Hell of a Woman

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 472 comments Jim Thompson is one the best authors who have ever written a noir story. I mean noir ala Cain, criminal, psychological noir. Not Hardoiled PI.

The Killer Inside Me is a masterwork novel. Dimestore Dostoevsky is offending. At his best he is a strong literary noir writer.

message 4: by Foul97 (new)

Foul97 | 4 comments King Blood is hard to wrap your mind around. Highly recomended

message 5: by David (new)

David Greene (dov999) | 4 comments Totally agree - King Blood, which is long out of print, is a mind-blower. IMHO, Thompson was an amazing writer and could get under your skin with some very straightforward, simple thoughts. Pop 1280 and The Killer Inside Me are the most unnerving books. The Getaway as well.

Martyn V. (aka Baron Sang-Froid) Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 20 comments Maybe with renewed interest, King Blood: The Armchair Detective Library will be reissued?

message 7: by Still (new)

Still (Mantan) | 277 comments Martyn wrote: "Maybe with renewed interest, King Blood: The Armchair Detective Library will be reissued?"

At a book sale I attended they have a special section of collectible books they call "Collector's Corner". I found a copy of KING BLOOD with a selling price of $75.
As much as I'm devoted to this item, it was enough to cause me to consider offering my 1st edition mint copy on eBay.

Martyn V. (aka Baron Sang-Froid) Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 20 comments Mantan wrote: "As much as I'm devoted to this item, it was enough to cause me to consider offering my 1st edition mint copy on eBay."

And maybe replace it with a Kindle version?

message 9: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 472 comments I hope to find King Blood as fan of JT $75 doesnt scare me away.

It does sound synopsis wise much different than regular JT noir book. I must have it ! Must!

message 10: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Clark | 4 comments You can get the 1989 Corgi edition of King Blood for around £10 - £12 on Amazon/Ebay, no need to break the bank.

message 11: by Paul (last edited Dec 02, 2014 10:23PM) (new)

Paul | 169 comments I have all Jim Thompson's books, but have only read 'The Killer Inside Me'. I thought it the best psychological thriller (Noir or otherwise), i have read in years. Given that Thompson is dead, i am 'rationing' reading his other novels.
I agree with Dan, i couldn't read them back to back. I have to read something 'normal' after Killer. Phew!

message 12: by Piker7977 (new)

Piker7977 | 3 comments I've enjoyed everything I've read by Thompson so far. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or interpretations about the ending of Savage Night. That was absolutely mind blowing.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 299 comments Centipede Press has just released 5 of Thompson's books. They're a small, very good press. I generally get a few books from them each year. They seem pricey on the surface, but I've never been disappointed.

Now shipping are our Jim Thompson books: The Killer Inside Me, A Swell-Looking Babe, A Hell of a Woman, The Grifters and Pop. 1280. These are five of Jim Thompson’s finest novels, three of which are certified classics of American literature.

Filled with photographs by Patrick Loehr and Paul Wedlake, who went on location in Oklahoma and Texas to take the pictures, the books also feature original introductions by Laird Barron, John Shirley, Bill Crider, Duane Swierczynski, and Joe R. Lansdale, and the respective volumes are signed by them as well as the illustrators.

Each title is limited to 300 signed and numbered copies. If you purchase a set, you receive a nice discount and receive all matching numbers. Each book is $45, with the set of five available for $169, or just $33 per book. These books are bound in full cloth with full color dustjackets, full color interiors, photographs of old editions of each title, printed endpapers, ribbon marker, and black & white illustrations. The books measure 6 x 9 inches and are one of the best deals we’ve ever posted. In addition, this is the first time ever that a few of these have been published in hardcover.

Here is the link to one of them.
http://www.centipedepress.com/crime/s...

message 14: by Lee Matthew (new)

Lee Matthew Goldberg | 3 comments The Getaway is by far the best Thompson novel. Also have read Killer Inside Me, After Dark, My Sweet, and The Grifters. The Grifters is a good book, but the movie is one of the best films ever.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Macdonald | 23 comments Lee Matthew wrote: "The Getaway is by far the best Thompson novel. Also have read Killer Inside Me, After Dark, My Sweet, and The Grifters. The Grifters is a good book, but the movie is one of the best films ever."

After Dark, My Sweet is a terrific movie as well. Bruce Dern plays the best slimeball.

message 16: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 472 comments Lee Matthew wrote: "The Getaway is by far the best Thompson novel. Also have read Killer Inside Me, After Dark, My Sweet, and The Grifters. The Grifters is a good book, but the movie is one of the best films ever."

The Getaway was a little letdown to me personally, it didnt feel like usual Thompson in its bleakness, character depth. I have hard time remembering the characters compared to The Killer Inside Me.

message 17: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 472 comments I was wondering how many JT books you guys have read. I have decided to read this 1950s books i havent read+ The Grifters.

Cropper's Cabin (1952)
The Alcoholics (1953)
The Criminal (1953)
Recoil (1953)
Savage Night (1953)
The Golden Gizmo (1954)
A Hell Of A Woman (1954)
The Nothing Man (1954)
Roughneck (1954)
A Swell-Looking Babe (1954)
The Kill-Off (1957)
Wild Town (1957)
The Grifters (1963)

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul | 169 comments Mohammed wrote: "I was wondering how many JT books you guys have read. I have decided to read this 1950s books i havent read+ The Grifters.

Cropper's Cabin (1952)
The Alcoholics (1953)
The Criminal (1953)
Recoil..."

I have all those in my eBook library, but have only read 'The Killer Inside Me' so far, which i loved. That probably makes me a pervert.

message 19: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 472 comments Pervert lol! I loved The Killer Inside Me too. I judge all JT books by its standard. I wonder why others cant make a low life killer that fascinating. I will get those books as paperback by Black Lizard etc

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul | 169 comments Mohammed wrote: "Pervert lol! I loved The Killer Inside Me too. I judge all JT books by its standard. I wonder why others cant make a low life killer that fascinating. I will get those books as paperback by..."

Man, i had to have a shower after reading The Killer, but i loved every minute of it. The book was OK too:))

message 21: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 472 comments The book was okay too haha you are awesome: )

Have you seen the film?

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul | 169 comments Mohammed wrote: "The book was okay too haha you are awesome: )

Have you seen the film?"

Would you believe i've had a copy of the film for over 6 months & haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I have a STACK of movies to watch (mostly Noir), but just can't seem to get around to watching them:(

message 23: by Matt (new)

Matt Phillips | 2 comments Piker7977 wrote: "I've enjoyed everything I've read by Thompson so far. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or interpretations about the ending of Savage Night. That was absolutely mind blowing."

Hey, Everybody,

New here, but saw this convo and wanted to join in. I love Savage Night––it has elements of meta-fiction and surrealism. I think it's a great novel. "You've met the man, everyone has." To me, the novel is all about power, who commands who and why. Of course, the writer commands the characters until... well, you've read it! Jim Thompson is one of my favorites. I think his books are one-of-a-kind (each, if that makes sense).

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul | 169 comments Welcome Matt. Haven't read Savage Night yet, but have been making my way through Savage Art  A  Biography of Jim Thompson by Robert Polito, Thompson's Memoir by Robert Polito. I have a library copy, but i'm going to buy a copy for my own reference.
It's a must-read for any fan of Thompson. Very well written & researched. Only available as a physical book.

message 25: by Matt (new)

Matt Phillips | 2 comments Thanks, Paul. I'll check it out soon. Thompson also wrote a semi-autobiographical book called, "Roughneck." That one is pretty great too.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

King Blood: The Armchair Detective Library (other topics)
Savage Art: A Biography of Jim Thompson (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jim Thompson (other topics)
Geoffrey O'Brien (other topics)