Bound Together discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Other Reads > Other Reads-What Have You Read?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,264) (1264 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1: by Deb, Queen Bee-mod on hiatus (new)

Deb | 2262 comments Mod
Here's a place to discuss books that you have read, outside of the group picks of the month, and want to discuss with others.

Remember, if a spoiler is part of your discussion, please indicate that beforehand.

message 2: by Deb, Queen Bee-mod on hiatus (new)

Deb | 2262 comments Mod
sorry Alena!!!! I was posting the new thread the same time you were posting something new in the other one.
Feel free to add your newest here if you want

message 3: by Alena (last edited Nov 26, 2011 01:33PM) (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1338 comments that's funny Deb. I was just saying that I was very pleasently surprised by The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, which many people in our group recommended. It was both beautiful and gritty.

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I really want to read that one, but I put it on my Christmas list, so I have to wait and see. I am glad you enjoyed it, Alena.

message 5: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

♥ Sandi (TakingTime) | 8050 comments Mod
Alena wrote: "that's funny Deb. I was just saying that I was very pleasently surprised by The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, which many people in our group recommended. It was both beautiful and gritty."

Just recently got that one too Alena...I hear it calling my name from time to time. I have put a small stack of books (5) on my coffee table - ones that I want to get to "soon" ( whatever that word means..LOL !!)and I have The Language of Flowers in that pile. I don't think anyone has had a bad word to say about that book. I hope to read it soon.

message 6: by ☔Diane S. (new)

☔Diane S. | 4267 comments Finished The List and it was a very well written post holocaust book about a little known situation in Britain and Palestine. Foound it very good and informative as well. Now reading The Luminist: A Novel which is set in Ceylon in the early 1800's loosely based on the life of British photographer Julia Margaret Cameron and also reading an ARC of The Luminist: A Novel.

message 7: by Deb, Queen Bee-mod on hiatus (new)

Deb | 2262 comments Mod
yes, I've moved this again. same thread, just a different place under a new folder called Other Stuff.

message 8: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Bollinger (MBoll) | 193 comments I just finished, finally, A Week in December. I ended up liking it and was anxious to see where it was going. I had to skim through some of the verbage, and with all of the characters, I had to quit trying to keep it all together in the beginning. As I read more, it was easier to distinguish the different characters and their roles. Glad I read it, but glad it is over.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 633 comments I found a book that I just couldn't get into. I never stop reading books, but I just couldn't continue this one. I can't even explain why I didn't like it. It was probably more me than it!

The Weird Sisters

message 10: by LindaW (new)

LindaW | 922 comments Stephanie wrote: "I found a book that I just couldn't get into. I never stop reading books, but I just couldn't continue this one. I can't even explain why I didn't like it. It was probably more me than it!
The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

I read this book last April and liked it well enough to finish. Gave it three stars. It was a little quirky. I seem to like books about families and the interaction of grown children and their parents when the "kids" move back. I liked that the family loved books - Shakespeare especially.

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele | 115 comments Just finished Drowning Ruth   by Christina Schwarz. Has anyone else read this? I would love to hear any comments or thoughts!

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I finished Rebecca. I can't believe it took me so long to read this.

message 13: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Malinda wrote: "I just finished, finally, A Week in December. I ended up liking it and was anxious to see where it was going. I had to skim through some of the verbage, and with all of the characters, I had to q..."

Sometimes those books with so many characters are very confusing. Happy you ended up finsihing it and enjoyed it.

message 14: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Michele wrote: "Just finished Drowning Ruth   by Christina Schwarz. Has anyone else read this? I would love to hear any comments or thoughts!"

Yes Michele I did read that book, but it was sooo long ago....How old is that book? I would say I read it - geez - maybe 8 or 10 years ago???? (trying to judge the time by where I was living...LOL !!!) I remember liking it , but not really much more about it. Sorry!

message 15: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1338 comments Finished Holy Ghost Girl  A Memoir by Donna Johnson. It started very slowly but definitely picked up in the second half. Her struggles with faith, family and home were compelling.

message 16: by ☔Diane S. (new)

☔Diane S. | 4267 comments Finished The Luminist: A Novel which was a novel about Victorian England and Colonial Ceylon but the big hook of the book is its haunting prose style and the descriptions of the beginning of photography, how dangerous it was. Slow start but I ended up liking it quite a bit. Now reading an ARC of Accidents of Providence by Stacia M. Brown and V is for Vengeance (Kinsey Millhone, #22) by Sue Grafton.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen (jblei) I've been reading a lot of very good non-fiction lately, which has been wonderful. In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil        White was fascinating- Carville was the 'leprosy home' in the U.S., where people were literally incarcerated without consent for most of a century. The stories of the people with Hansen's disease are striking, horribly sad, and also occasionally wonderfully hopeful. But in the 90s it was also used as a prison, so prisoners and people with Hansen's disease lived together, and this book looks at those interactions as well as the U.S. 'leprosy experience'. I couldn't put it down.

Right now I'm just about finished Heat  An Amateur's Adventures As Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford, and it's a great, fun read. I didn't know a lot about Mario Batali (other than the Iron Chef thing) before I started the book, but he certainly is a character. It's well worth reading if you're at all interested in food- I am still amazed that anyone actually chooses to work in the food service industry.

message 18: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Aenea wrote: "I've been reading a lot of very good non-fiction lately, which has been wonderful. In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil        White was fascinating- Carville was the 'leprosy home' in the U.S., wh..."

Aenea, Mario Batali is also on The Chew. A relatively new show - that is talk and food. He is one of 5 chefs on that show daily. It comes on here at noon and I see part of it while I am home for lunch. Not sure whether I really like the show yet, but if you want more of Batali - you can see him daily there.

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom Hmmm...I haven't posted since mid-November, and have read some great books since then.

I loved The Red Tent so much that I had to find more by Anita Diamant. I listened to Day After Night by Anita Diamant and although it could have provided more historical detail, I enjoyed it very much. It focuses on four young women who get to Israel after the Holocaust, only to find themselves in an interment camp as illegal immigrants. Another unique perspective on life after WWII, and a story I never thought about before this book.

I love Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, and Ghost Story (The Dresden Files,  #13) by Jim Butcher was no exception. Lots of action as Harry comes back to find out who killed him and keep the people he cares for safe.

After being amazed by A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, I listened to The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. WOW again. Now I have to watch the movie. Both books provide a good overview of Afghanistan's political history over the last few decades, and I've become very interested in historical novels concerning Afghanistan. The country has a fascinating history, and learning more about the political/ethnic/cultural issues, helps me better understand what our soldiers are facing. I have to watch out - all these books are making me so much more aware, politically, globally...

Along those lines, I also listened to The Saffron Kitchen by Yasmin Crowther, which mostly takes place in Iran. After a devastating event, Maryam leaves her family in London and returns to her home village in Iran to deal with the ghosts of her past. I actually ended up liking this book more than I thought I would.

In between my history lessons, I got in some lighthearted reading with The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by Elizabeth Stuckey-French. A very entertaining story of a woman who finds the doctor she's been plotting to murder, and moves to Florida to put her plan into action. There she finds things aren't as she expected, this family is so dysfunctional, they make her plan sound sane.

Another light read was Animal Magnetism (Animal, #1) by Jill Shalvis. What can I say? Cutest puppy face! And the guy on the cover ain't bad either :)

message 20: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I finished The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon. Beautifully written and wonderfully developed characters.

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 633 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just started this, and I love, love, love it so far!

message 23: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1338 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I know what you mean about confusion. I think she needs more work of storylining (although for a book written in one month it's pretty amazing). But I just fell in love with her imagery. I have not been so transported by a book in a long time. Can't wait to discuss it.

message 24: by ☔Diane S. (new)

☔Diane S. | 4267 comments Just finished an ARC of Accidents of Providence by Stacia M. Brown and found it fascinating. Takes place in Cromwell's Puritan England and includes a trial of a unmarried character named Rachel who is accused of killing and burying her baby. It is not until the end tht we find out what really happened and there is a major twist at the end. Great historical facts and amazing characters. So I am now reading The Pilgrim by Hugh Nissenson which is also about the Puritans but this time from a man's point of view. Also reading The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) by Lene Kaaberbøl.

message 25: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Diane wrote: "Just finished an ARC of Accidents of Providence by Stacia M. Brown and found it fascinating. Takes place in Cromwell's Puritan England and includes a trial of a unmarried character named Rachel w..."

I just added The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) by Lene Kaaberbøl to my TBR list. I thought that looked good too.

message 26: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern last night also. Now I really liked it. It was not confusing for me , but I don't mind books that move back and forth between people or time frames. My only problem with the book was not the books fault. I started this book on a business trip and was only able to read very brief snippets of it at any one time. I think this is the type book that needs to be read at length - not in small doses. I loved the illusion part - this authors' mind is so much more ....ah....open?, advanced? ...I really don't know what word I want here, but I thought this book was really original. Kinda Miss Peregrine, but in a different way. I really liked it.

Alena, where did you find out she wrote the book in one month? Do you have a link to a website that gives more back ground about the book or her? I would be interested. I would like to read more of her work.

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie (cjcreads) | 1283 comments Stephanie wrote: "I found a book that I just couldn't get into. I never stop reading books, but I just couldn't continue this one. I can't even explain why I didn't like it. It was probably more me than it!
I am glad you commented on this Stephanie, it has been high on my TBR list...may have to move it down?

[boo..."

Malinda wrote: "I just finished, finally, A Week in December. I ended up liking it and was anxious to see where it was going. I had to skim through some of the verbage, and with all of the characters, I had to q..."

message 28: by Connie (new)

Connie (cjcreads) | 1283 comments Sandi wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just finished [bookcover:The Night Cir..."

She was on NPR not too long ago....and she has her own website, her story and "artwork" are on it I believe...tells all about writing this book. I am just getting into it now. Glad to hear you liked it!

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele | 115 comments Just finished reading The King of Lies by John Hart. This is the first of Hart's books that I have read. Really enjoyed it -- didn't know how it was going to end -- I look forward to reading more of his books!

message 30: by ☔Diane S. (new)

☔Diane S. | 4267 comments Michele wrote: "Just finished reading The King of Lies by John Hart. This is the first of Hart's books that I have read. Really enjoyed it -- didn't know how it was going to end -- I look forward to reading m..."

I love Jonathan Hart, all his books are different but all interesting.

message 31: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (last edited Dec 02, 2011 04:10PM) (new)

Michele wrote: "Just finished reading The King of Lies by John Hart. This is the first of Hart's books that I have read. Really enjoyed it -- didn't know how it was going to end -- I look forward to reading m..."

Oh Michele, be sure to get Iron House. Iron House by John Hart That one is his last one. I got it as an ARC and I loved it. Couldn't put it down. That was the first book I had read by him ( I believe he only has 4 books out so far). I have I think 2 more of his, but jockeying books around to read has become impossible. We come up with new stuff all the time in this club and a lot of it I want to read - so books on my TBR shelves are just sitting. ...sigh! Wish I was like a number of others and could get to 5, or 6 or more books every month...but alas I can't. When I get two read I am happy and when I can work in a third I am elated!!!!

message 32: by Michele (last edited Dec 02, 2011 05:18PM) (new)

Michele | 115 comments I will definitely read that Sandi -- my next one to read is Down River by John Hart! He is from NC and lives near Pfeiffer University where I went to school!

message 33: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Michele wrote: "I will definitely read that Sandi -- my next one to read is Down River by John Hart! He is from NC and lives near Pfeiffer University where I went to school!"

My grandson went to Montreat - on Black Mountain - just outside Asheville. Took the trip to see him quite a few times. He lived in Black Mountain and Swannanoa while he went to school there. He loved it - and so did I.

I think maybe all of Harts books are centered in NC. At least 3 of them are, I think - not sure about the fourth one. I hope he continues to crank out more novels. He is a relatively new author, but one to contend with - he is good!

message 34: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Connie wrote: "Sandi wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just finished [bookcov..."

Connie, I will have to check out Morgansterns web site. I really did like her style. I understand hs has more books out there, but she was unknown to me until this book came along and the girls here recommended it.

message 35: by Deb, Queen Bee-mod on hiatus (new)

Deb | 2262 comments Mod
I read One Day by David Nichollslast month for my other group. I really liked it! And to go along with one of our other threads, I can't wait to see the movie now that I've read the book. Although I'm not a Anne Hathaway fan, I still want to see how it plays out in movie form.
As I mentioned in the other group, I was surprised by some of what happened but still thought it was good. Loved the British-speak and banter, and the concept of a check-in on one particular date over the course of so many years.

message 36: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 4573 comments Diane wrote: "Just finished an ARC of Accidents of Providence by Stacia M. Brown and found it fascinating. Takes place in Cromwell's Puritan England and includes a trial of a unmarried character named Rachel w..."

Just added Accidents of Providence to my TBR list; I love surprise twist endings.
Diane, don't know how you can read 3 books at once. I can't stay focused if I try to read more than one at a time.

message 37: by ☮Karen (last edited Dec 03, 2011 05:21AM) (new)

☮Karen | 4573 comments I loved, loved, loved The Last Child by John Hart by John Hart. Could not put it down and found it to be exhausting, but worth it in every way. It's his very best effort, in my opinion.

message 38: by Connie (new)

Connie (cjcreads) | 1283 comments Karen wrote: "I loved, loved, loved The Last Child by John Hart by John Hart. Could not put it down and found it to be exhausting, but worth it in every way. It's his very best effort, in my opinion."

Karen, I agree. I have read all of his and this was my favorite...maybe because it was my first. He is one of my authors to watch for. (as noted earlier, from NC so I pay extra attention!)

message 39: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1338 comments Sandi wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just finished [bookcover:The Night Cir..."

Sorry I just saw this. My Book Lovers group was talking about the book this week and one of the librians mentioned that she wrote it during November National Write-a-Book month. (Of course it then took years to go through editing and publishing). I've followed her blog a bit but haven't done much research into her. I'm waiting for another book to see if she's just this talented or if Night Circus is a one-hit-wonder.

message 40: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Alena wrote: "Sandi wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just finished [bookcover..."

I was under the impression that she had more stuff already out?? But in reading your post I remember someone saying this was her first break out novel. She is young - I hope she has more rattling around in her head...LOL !!

message 41: by ✿Sandra (last edited Dec 03, 2011 11:03AM) (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments I just finished The Invention of Hugo Cabret The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, and here is my review:

I really enjoyed this book! The illustrations are wonderful, and the whole book is done in a very creative way. It was very captivating, and I highly recommend it! I really want to see the movie which is out in theaters now. It's a busy time of the year, so, hopefully, I will have the time. If not, I will definitely see it on DVD.

I also have Wonderstruck by the same author, and I can't wait to read it!

This book has also made me inspired to find out more about George Melies.

message 42: by ☔Diane S. (new)

☔Diane S. | 4267 comments Alena wrote: "Sandi wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just finished [bookcover..."

Read that she was an artist also but since the success of Night Circus she has decided to concentrate on her writing. Go figure!

message 43: by ☔Diane S. (last edited Dec 03, 2011 11:11AM) (new)

☔Diane S. | 4267 comments Now reading a rather wonderful book called White Truffles in Winter White Truffles in Winter by N.M. Kelby which is about the chef Escoffier, who is writing is memoirs, tracing history through food and meals, dishes created as well as art. Also reading Just My Type: A Book about Fonts which is a history about fonts. Interesting as well. Just My Type  A Book about Fonts by Simon Garfield. Finished The Boy in the Suitcase which was a very good thriller without too much gore.

message 44: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Sandra wrote: "I just finished The Invention of Hugo CabretThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, and here is my review:

I really enjoyed this book! The illustrations are wonderful, a..."

Sandra, I almost nominated that one for one of my book/movie choices this month. I read the book a few years ago - still have the book - I remember really enjoying it also. I figured you would like it since you are a big Harry Potter fan. The reason I did not nominate it was due to the length. I remember we have some people in the club who will refuse to read books over 300 pages - so I did not figure that this book would make it very far.

message 45: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Diane wrote: "Alena wrote: "Sandi wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern today. Great storyline, but the jumping around in time left me confused a lot of the time."

I just finis..."

Not only a gifted writer, but smart too...LOL !!!

message 46: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Diane wrote: "Now reading a rather wonderful book called White Truffles in Winter White Truffles in Winter by N.M. Kelby which is about the chef Escoffier, who is writing is memoirs, tracing history throu..."

Happy that you liked the The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) by Lene Kaaberbøl - I want to read that one too.

message 47: by ✿Sandra (last edited Dec 03, 2011 01:33PM) (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments Sandi wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I just finished The Invention of Hugo CabretThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, and here is my review:

I really enjoyed this book! The illustrations are..."

Well, the one thing anyone thinking about reading this book needs to know is that even though it has over 500 pages, a lot of the story is done with illustrations, so it is actually a very quick read!!

message 48: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Sandra wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I just finished The Invention of Hugo CabretThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, and here is my review:

I really enjoyed this book! The i..."

Yes I do remember that - lots of illustrations and some pages with very few words.

message 49: by Michele (new)

Michele | 115 comments Finished A Month of Summer (Blue Sky Hill #1) by Lisa Wingate this afternoon after having started it at my Mom's recovering from my surgery. I love Lisa Wingate's books -- I cry and cry, but they are really good! :)

message 50: by ☔Diane S. (new)

☔Diane S. | 4267 comments Finished A Monster Calls which was extremely heart touching about a little boys who finds a way to deal with grief. Loved it! Also finished Just My Type  A Book about Fonts by Simon Garfield which was also very good about the history and the people who invented the different fonts we see everyday. Started The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach which I am also liking quite a bit.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Language of Flowers (other topics)
The Luminist: A Novel (other topics)
The List (other topics)
The Weird Sisters (other topics)
Drowning Ruth (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anita Diamant (other topics)
Jim Butcher (other topics)
John Hart (other topics)